Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I thought this was the Witcher? I just watched eight episodes of the Yennefer show.

evil_geko

I thought this was the Witcher? I just watched eight episodes of the Yennefer show.
Books follow all three characters, not only Geralt. They follow Ciri even more than him.

If they continue with the "Yennefer show" in the second season, then I'll be worried, for now it's fine.

Ainu

I have to say it improves a lot after the first three episodes. There's hope for this yet. One thing is definitely not in doubt, Cavill is a fantastic Geralt. At this point I'll watch the rest of the season and hope it's more episode 4-5 than 1-3. How many viewers did they lost in those first three episodes though?

Roosney

Glorious ones.

It's weird when it comes to the CGI- the non moving cgi like cities, castles etc look very good - probably better than the first seasons of GoT in some ways. The creatures are hit or miss. The Striga for instance was great imho. Seems they used a blend of costumes and cgi for some of them. The rendering of them doesn't even look bad - it's more the lighting of them that makes it feel out of place.
Yeah the creature in the first scene was a let down to begin with. Haven't met Striga yet

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't get enough of it. Considering rewatching it. At least the best bits. Or playing the game. Fark.

)_(

If they go with the books, it will be the Ciri show. Get used to it.
Imagine complaining about there being more of an interesting character and probably the best actor of the main three characters.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Imagine complaining about there being more of an interesting character and probably the best actor of the main three characters.
Assuming you mean Yen/Anya to be the best I feel like I may one of the few to disagree based on comments around the web. She s def good, as is Henry, but imho Ciri/Freya is the most impressive out of the 3. Guess maybe I know feck all about acting?

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t mind it having been Yen’s show (though I don’t necessarily agree that this was the case). The actress was good, her boobs were good, but most importantly I liked more the politics and the large scale war, rather than Geralt killing monsters.

Simbo

Assuming you mean Yen/Anya to be the best I feel like I may one of the few to disagree based on comments around the web. She s def good, as is Henry, but imho Ciri/Freya is the most impressive out of the 3. Guess maybe I know feck all about acting?
Nah Freya came across as the better actor for me. Mad that she's 18 but I guess that helps with the transition to playing an adult in later seasons.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Nah Freya came across as the better actor for me. Mad that she's 18 but I guess that helps with the transition to playing an adult in later seasons.
Ok cool. Yeah she s very impressive. I'm sure part of the reason she was cast was those eyes. Something haunting yet warming about them. Expressive I guess is the word to use for it. Definitely would have blown the GoT "child" actors away save for maybe Arya and Joffrey.

Andersons Dietician

I thought the only dodgy CGI was the gold dragon and that wasn't even that bad.
I agree with this, read for days now how bad the cgi was but genuinely I didn’t really notice anything that was really that bad. Maybe people expect Endgame/ Avatar standard CGI for a tv series or something.

Ollie Derbyshire

Just finished it and I’ll give it a solid 7 out of 10. Would have liked more on the Ciri storyline but hopefully that will come in season 2.

Overall though the series picked up each episode, like some others have said I enjoyed the politic aspects of the show more than the monster hunting, would have liked more character development as well, the timeline is rapid so missed out on a lot of that for some reason.

Sylar

Man, talk of books in the TV show thread gives me flashbacks to GoT.

Really think the discussion would have been higher on this if it was a weekly show (since most of the discussion is happening after people have seen it at their own pace) rather than ep by ep (which would have been fun for this show).

The dragon didnt bother me, it felt like the dragon out of Merlin. The one (first) CGI monster Witcher killed looked a bit cartoony though.

thepolice123

Loved it. Solid 8/10 and certainly didn't disappoint.

Cavill is brilliant as Geralt.

izec

Liked it as well. Coming from someone who hasnt read the books or played the games (i was reading a bit online about some basic information on characters and general framework) and who also isnt a big fan of these types of fantasy shows, i thought it was pretty good. Started slowly, but somewhere around episode 3 or 4 it picked up and the last few episodes were fantastic.

Bobski

I liked it( as someone who has not read the books but played the games), bit of a dip in episodes 2-4 but solid performances from the leads, a quality soundtrack and a great deal of potential.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Have to say the final episode was probably the weakest for me. Dunno what that bit of Geralt backstory did for the plot at this particular time, strange choice. Also the big battle and the role of magic/mages in it felt rather meh. Too much shenanigans, not enough fireballs. It all should have been a flaming hell, and the flames should have been the main reason for the casualties among the fallen defenders.

Ekeke

I hope the last 2 episodes are amazing because I'm 6/8 and so far its been completely average, even boring at times. A couple of decent fights, Yennefer had a decent origin story and other than that the story and characters have been pretty awful

roseguy64

I never read the book and didn't have any issues following the time lines. I think some people need to be patient and just watch the episodes and it'll all come together.

I actually love the way they did structure their time lines and all came together.
Same. If you don't pay attention you'll get confused. It wasn't particularly hard at all.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its worth remembering the first season of GoT was also very cheap (they avoided even filming the huge battle scene). Not surprised this feels a bit cheap compared to the later seasons of GoT, they're hardly going to throw a massive budget when they don't even know it was going to be successful.

Anyway, both me and my sister loved it. Here's hoping they double the budget for next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wasn't noticeably bad IMO.
Looked like they used practical effects (or am I mistaken?) there. And people aren't used to it and have gotten accustomed to high budget CGI with every freckle animated. I quite liked that one. Was different. A bit silly but fine.

Red_Aaron

I loved it from start to finish.
As I binged ahead of the wife I've ended up watching it twice through over Christmas as she caught up. Watched the last episode last night and I'm already peeved ill have to wait a year for more.

Are the books a good read? Might have to read those while I wait

Oldyella

Have to say the final episode was probably the weakest for me. Dunno what that bit of Geralt backstory did for the plot at this particular time, strange choice. Also the big battle and the role of magic/mages in it felt rather meh. Too much shenanigans, not enough fireballs. It all should have been a flaming hell, and the flames should have been the main reason for the casualties among the fallen defenders.
See I thought the opposite, I enjoyed seeing magic used in more novel ways. The portal with arrows shot into it was great.

Edit - to add to that, what I found ridiculous was how easily one side was willing to sacrifice wizards for no apparent reason. Cant be that many of them surely? But summoning big fireballs to launch using their own life force was bloody crazy. Light a bonfire and let them use that to power up??

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I've just found out that apparently some people are upset because the actress that plays Fringilla is black :lol:

People are the worst

Pscholes18

Only on episode 3 but so far so good. Excellent show although I only have Witcher 3 game to go by. I never read the books. Much better than the Mandalorian.

Coxy

Have to agree. Overall the series was fantastic. Loved it! But the weakest episode was the final one. Maybe too little Geralt?

Episode 3 was my favourite

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Its worth remembering the first season of GoT was also very cheap (they avoided even filming the huge battle scene). Not surprised this feels a bit cheap compared to the later seasons of GoT, they're hardly going to throw a massive budget when they don't even know it was going to be successful.

Anyway, both me and my sister loved it. Here's hoping they double the budget for next season.
Yep. But also people have no idea about CGI and visual effects, or anything for that matter, so even when they call things "cheap looking" they don't really know what they are talking about.

So I've just found out that apparently some people are upset because the actress that plays Fringilla is black :lol:

People are the worst
Yeah but how dare they! Write new characters for black people!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

People are the worst
Nah, it's not racism you've got that all wrong. It's merely because changing anything about her appearance means that the entire story has been made redundant because Geralt had a paragraph about the way she looked in one of the books.

It's also a coincidence that these concerns only crop up for non-white people.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Nah, it's not racism you've got that all wrong. It's merely because changing anything about her appearance means that the entire story has been made redundant because Geralt had a paragraph about the way she looked in one of the books.

It's also a coincidence that these concerns only crop up for non-white people.
Well let's remake Black Panther with the cast of Gavin and Stacey and see who moans then...