Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It certainly didn't feel as the Yennefer show to me. They gave her a bit more backstory compared to the books, where her past is revealed more gradually, but that's it. I would advise you to get used to Geralt not being a classical main character, it's like that in the books as well. He's just one of three, with Ciri and Yen being the others.
I didn't know Ciri and Yennifer were as prominant as Geralt in the books.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
More character development/backstory, not only screen time per se.
You probably didn't recognize it as such, because you know who Geralt is. But the series does a lot of characterization for Geralt. Examples: Adaption of the "lesser evil"/Renfri story: Geralt isn't an assassin for hire, and he doesn't kill if he doesn't have to. The whole dialogue about not choosing the lesser evil is straight from the books and one of his core beliefs. The striga story: he wants to lift the curse rather than slay the monster and be done with it, because he goes great lengths to help individuals even at personal peril. The Sylvan and dragons: Geralt doesn't kill sentient "monsters". The hirikka: Geralt isn't for killing non-sentient monsters either, if there is a non-violent solution. I could go on, but to make it short: almost every single scene does some characterization of Geralt.
Plus we get that vision of his mother and how he was abandoned to become a witcher, I don't recall if that ever was in the books.

Revan

Assumptionman
I didn't know Ciri and Yennifer were as prominant as Geralt in the books.
Yennefer is not, she is clearly a distant third.

Ciri is probably the main in the sense that the plot revolves around her, but obviously mostly it is seen from Geralt's POV, who also has much more screen time (or the equivalent of it in the books) than her.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Watched the first episode about five times now and fell asleep in all of them. Can't say im not trying hard!

The game series is crap though

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I dont like the Broikilon forest bit. Its so dull and then when Eithne tells Ciri that all who enter the forest must drink the waters to see if their intentions are pure, yet when you know who enters the forest they dont ask them to drink the water.

Plot hole surely

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I dont like the Broikilon forest bit. Its so dull and then when Eithne tells Ciri that all who enter the forest must drink the waters to see if their intentions are pure, yet when you know who enters the forest they dont ask them to drink the water.

Plot hole surely
Well, druids are friends with the dryads and are allowed into Brokilon as well, so that may explain the easy deception.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I hate it when actors get cast simply for diversity. It should be the best actors for the role.

Unless the best actor isn't white like the books, in which case that one specific detail is way more important than anything else.

Is it really so much to ask that every TV show's starting point is to preserve the white characters above all other storytelling choices? Aside from all of the context and history it would be exactly like if the had a white guy playing Black Panther. Bah humbug.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hate it when actors get cast simply for diversity. It should be the best actors for the role.

Unless the best actor isn't white like the books, in which case that one specific detail is way more important than anything else.

Is it really so much to ask that every TV show's starting point is to preserve the white characters above all other storytelling choices? Aside from all of the context and history it would be exactly like if the had a white guy playing Black Panther. Bah humbug.
Which character are you talking about out of interest?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't believe they changed the character Terry Troglablight into Barry Bogtroll all for the sake of "inclusion". I thought this was Witcher not Woker. Get fecked.
The Woker sounds like a class show. Geraldine of Buzzfeedia fighting the biggest monster of all — toxic masculinity.

Ainu

Watched the final episode now. All in all, a decent first season after a slow start. They had to leave out huge chunks from the first two books to make it work, which is a bit unfortunate. But I get why they did it, they would've had to introduce Yennefer and Ciri much later on otherwise. But they seriously messed up a couple of characters and I don't see how they're going to make their future storylines work.

Fringilla. They made here completely evil beyond any redemption. She's essentially not Fringilla Vigo, but a different character with her name. It's still very far away, but her Toussaint storyline is surely not possible. They'll have to write her out of it completely. Not a major problem I guess, they could replace here with another sorceress or something. The other character is more problematic.

Cahir. Another one they made unnecessarily and excessively evil. Ok he was sent to find Ciri, but he always came across as an inherently good and sympathetic character once he joined Geralt. I don't see how this version of Cahir could ever join Geralt's hansa, he's simply far too evil for that. But on the other hand, leaving him out of it is just too big a change from the books.

evil_geko

Preach.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Assume this is explained in the books, don't remember it being in the game - why does everyone hate Witchers? Surely they should be worshipped?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Assume this is explained in the books, don't remember it being in the game - why does everyone hate Witchers? Surely they should be worshipped?
Haven't read the books but they're turned into Witchers with experiments using alchemy and potions (Trial of the Grasses) so I suppose the common folk view them as freaks, unnatural etc.

mu4c_20le

Actually it's only humans. He gets along fine with elves, dwarves, and even some monsters. It's actually mentioned in the show, forgot who he was talking to but he was expressing sympathy and said that most humans also hate his kind for being different. Intolerance is a reoccurring theme in the series.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I think you need a /s at the end because some people have missed your point.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
How important is Fringilla to the story (please no major spoilers bookreaders)? It seems a lot of the frustration with some of the casting revolves around hers and if she is indeed supposed to be the nastiest sorcerer witch around then the casting would seem to be poor. Her on screen presence didn't have a lot of oomph so to speak. Too bad because if you'd figure that even if they were set on casting a black actress that there are quite a bit more out there who are skilled in the art of acting.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
How important is Fringilla to the story (please no major spoilers bookreaders)? It seems a lot of the frustration with some of the casting revolves around hers and if she is indeed supposed to be the nastiest sorcerer witch around then the casting would seem to be poor. Her on screen presence didn't have a lot of oomph so to speak. Too bad because if you'd figure that even if they were set on casting a black actress that there are quite a bit more out there who are skilled in the art of acting.
She's neither the most important nor evil mage in the books.

InfiniteBoredom

Not liking the amount of fortuitous nudity especially when it comes to Yennefer, Ciri’s actress has potential but she’s kind of just being...there. The first 4 episodes whenever it comes to Ciri it’s mostly just her wandering around aimlessly.

Fight choreography is good, monsters hit and miss (striga was positively disgusting/terrifying, hirikka or the satyr were a bit cartoony). Dandelion is good, and I’d totally choke back on my tears if Cavill buggers me.

Overall decent enough first season. Still think they missed a trick not getting Eva Green for Yen. Anya Chalotra tried but she sold the vulnerable girl bit much better than the matured sorceress.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sorcerers. They didn't like witchers and made sure the common people wouldn't either

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How important is Fringilla to the story (please no major spoilers bookreaders)?
She's essentially a minor character. One that gets a fair bit of screentime and plays a role in the story but not a particularly important one. Then again by the time she appears the focus is almost entirely on Ciri's pov

She's neither evil nor particularly powerful either, just another sorceress really(who happens to be nilfgaardian)

InfiniteBoredom

Stregobor also got a much larger role, don’t know what’s the thought process behind that since the screen time could be given to flesh out Vilgefortz a bit more as he’ll become a major antagonist later on.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Can't believe they changed the character Terry Troglablight into Barry Bogtroll all for the sake of "inclusion". I thought this was Witcher not Woker. Get fecked.
The Woker sounds like a class show. Geraldine of Buzzfeedia fighting the biggest monster of all — toxic masculinity.
:lol:

Having watched the whole thing now I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't very good. It does seem that fans of the source material have gotten more out of it than those coming in fresh but there's nothing new or interesting here and like I said at times it's very difficult to follow.

Marcelinho87

Not liking the amount of fortuitous nudity especially when it comes to Yennefer, Ciri’s actress has potential but she’s kind of just being...there. The first 4 episodes whenever it comes to Ciri it’s mostly just her wandering around aimlessly.

Fight choreography is good, monsters hit and miss (striga was positively disgusting/terrifying, hirikka or the satyr were a bit cartoony). Dandelion is good, and I’d totally choke back on my tears if Cavill buggers me.

Overall decent enough first season. Still think they missed a trick not getting Eva Green for Yen. Anya Chalotra tried but she sold the vulnerable girl bit much better than the matured sorceress.
Which makes sense because at this stage she isn't aware of what she is about to become, she is literally a young girl thrown out to defend herself.

I enjoyed the first season, thought it was done really well.

InfiniteBoredom

Which makes sense because at this stage she isn't aware of what she is about to become, she is literally a young girl thrown out to defend herself.

I enjoyed the first season, thought it was done really well.
They could easily make her run into Brokilon right after the fall of Cintra, then proceed with the getting swindled out and lost. There’s really no good reason to waste that much screen time especially on ep 1-3 just on refugee camp and all that stuff.

The pacing is just poor in general except for a couple of episodes. The most impressive one was Geralt in Temeria/Yen’s transformation.

Marcelinho87

They could easily make her run into Brokilon right after the fall of Cintra, then proceed with the getting swindled out and lost. There’s really no good reason to waste that much screen time especially on ep 1-3 just on refugee camp and all that stuff.

The pacing is just poor in general except for a couple of episodes. The most impressive one was Geralt in Temeria/Yen’s transformation.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

I expect future seasons to be more focused and streamlined though rather than jumping about timelines.

Ainu

Stregobor also got a much larger role, don’t know what’s the thought process behind that since the screen time could be given to flesh out Vilgefortz a bit more as he’ll become a major antagonist later on.
Yeah I didn't get that either. He came across as s figure of authority among the sorcerers as well. Bit random.

Revan

Assumptionman
Relatively minor to middle-important character in the books. She is not evil at all, at least not more than the other sorceresses. She is also not mentioned to be extremely powerful.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah I didn't get that either. He came across as s figure of authority among the sorcerers as well. Bit random.
I guess we will see character merging. I think he might have been merged with Terranova, or just be the generic strong wizard who is on the other team compared to Yen et al.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Just finished.

Loved it, can't wait for the next season. I've read the books ages ago and played the games and even I found the timelines difficult to distinguish in parts. I didn't really mind though as it makes you work a little to understand what's happening when and where, without any lube whatsoever.

Can imagine it would be difficult for someone totally new to it but I don't think it detracts too much if at all.

Conor

Can we have similar rules about discussing the books/games in here? Would be nice to be able to read the thread without people constantly mentioning things.

Andersons Dietician

I was watching an interview of the cast last night and the show leader was saying that the idea for the way the time line jumps came from watching Nolan’s Dunkirk. She didn’t want to have explainers telling us at what point we were in and so on.

She mentioned as well when we first meet Yennefer she is 14yrs old and later on she is around 70 something.

Quite amazing seeing Freya Allan and Anya Charlotra together. Freya Allan seems and looks the much older one and far more composed and confident in what she is trying to say.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I don't think that 'Woker' post has received nearly as much love as it deserves.

In fact I like it so much I'm requesting permission from @DWelbz19 to steal it and post it on a friend's Facebook wall. Pretty please?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think that 'Woker' post has received nearly as much love as it deserves.

In fact I like it so much I'm requesting permission from @DWelbz19 to steal it and post it on a friend's Facebook wall. Pretty please?
By all means. We all have fun here.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Serious question, are the books worth reading. Are they written well?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Finished it last night, thought it was pretty good but the mages were ridiculously inconsistent in their powers. One minute they just teleport around the next minute they walk for days. One minute they freeze 5 people in place, then 5 seconds later they have a big sword fight instead of just doing it again. They're supposed to be super powerful and then they die stupid completely avoidable deaths.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Finished it last night, thought it was pretty good but the mages were ridiculously inconsistent in their powers. One minute they just teleport around the next minute they walk for days. One minute they freeze 5 people in place, then 5 seconds later they have a big sword fight instead of just doing it again. They're supposed to be super powerful and then they die stupid completely avoidable deaths.
Re the teleportation and walking- I kind of wondered the same thing but is the issue that teleportation is kind of a random thing? Other than returning where they originally came from it seemed to show that it could port them to all sorts of random places which is probably not helpful in combat. Book readers ?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Re the teleportation and walking- I kind of wondered the same thing but is the issue that teleportation is kind of a random thing? Other than returning where they originally came from it seemed to show that it could port them to all sorts of random places which is probably not helpful in combat. Book readers ?
But then the military mage at the end teleported exactly where he wanted to to fight the Nilfgaard guy. And Yennefer could teleport back to the mage guy at the start of the series whenever she wanted to see him.

Yennefer conjures a tent with wooden planks inside and a giant wooden bed, but yet can't just make the bridge a little wider they have to walk across on the mountain or make a barrier to stop people falling off like the one the mage made in Cintra to stop the troops from getting into the castle. Then at the end when she storms off instead of teleporting away she starts to walk off like she's going to do the whole mountain trek again in reverse.

I dunno the mages just seemed frustrating and actually mediocre in terms of power/powerless most of the time.