Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
But then the military mage at the end teleported exactly where he wanted to to fight the Nilfgaard guy. And Yennefer could teleport back to the mage guy at the start of the series whenever she wanted to see him.

Yennefer conjures a tent with wooden planks inside and a giant wooden bed, but yet can't just make the bridge a little wider they have to walk across on the mountain or make a barrier to stop people falling off like the one the mage made in Cintra to stop the troops from getting into the castle. Then at the end when she storms off instead of teleporting away she starts to walk off like she's going to do the whole mountain trek again in reverse.

I dunno the mages just seemed frustrating and actually mediocre in terms of power/powerless most of the time.
Dammit. Thought I was onto something :(

Heardy

Watched this over last two days and whilst I enjoyed it, 80% of it went over my head. I can’t name more that 3 characters and I swear I’d need to watch it through 3 times to actually understand what the hell happened in it!

Revan

Assumptionman
Serious question, are the books worth reading. Are they written well?
I think they are really good and quite unique in the genre. About the writing, you need to know that unless you read them in Polish, you will be reading translations. I thought the writing was decent enough but not the strongest point of them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Serious question, are the books worth reading. Are they written well?
I think the translations aren’t amazing, but the actual content is very strong. I’m not a big fantasy reader, but I’m fairly sure Sapkowski and The Witcher series is held in fairly high regard.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think they are really good and quite unique in the genre. About the writing, you need to know that unless you read them in Polish, you will be reading translations. I thought the writing was decent enough but not the strongest point of them.
I think the translations aren’t amazing, but the actual content is very strong. I’m not a big fantasy reader, but I’m fairly sure Sapkowski and The Witcher series is held in fairly high regard.
Okay. Not sure I'll be learning Polish anytime soon. So probably I'll just watch the series and play the games.

caid

But then the military mage at the end teleported exactly where he wanted to to fight the Nilfgaard guy. And Yennefer could teleport back to the mage guy at the start of the series whenever she wanted to see him.

Yennefer conjures a tent with wooden planks inside and a giant wooden bed, but yet can't just make the bridge a little wider they have to walk across on the mountain or make a barrier to stop people falling off like the one the mage made in Cintra to stop the troops from getting into the castle. Then at the end when she storms off instead of teleporting away she starts to walk off like she's going to do the whole mountain trek again in reverse.

I dunno the mages just seemed frustrating and actually mediocre in terms of power/powerless most of the time.
I kind of interpreted it as things that needed to be prepared in advance and couldn't necessarily be thrown out at will and that they were draining so wouldn't be used unless necessary to some extent. They were overly convenient and inconsistent and robbed the world of an element of drama i suppose. I guess what i was expecting and hoping for didn't make it entirely necessary. It felt more like a series of short fables that weren't particularly relevant beyond the episode they were in than a world spanning universe with hundreds of moving parts all of which were important and relevant and needed to be somewhat consistent.

Ainu

Okay. Not sure I'll be learning Polish anytime soon. So probably I'll just watch the series and play the games.
They are well worth reading, despite the translation. I would rate it as one of the most enjoyable fantasy series I've ever read. Anyone who is even remotely interested in Witcher lore should read them in my opinion.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Got to episode 7 and finally given up for good

This is a rather standard, cliched mediocre fantasy show. Entertaining at times, and a few things they objectively did well, such as yen's characterization and the burgeoning romance between her amd geralt

Too bad i read the books first i guess. They changed so much, and pretty much all the changes were for the worse, the show basically lost everything that made me like the books in the first place

Sylar

Can we have similar rules about discussing the books/games in here? Would be nice to be able to read the thread without people constantly mentioning things.
Agreed with this especially as there arent spoilers about it. Dont really want to try figure out which parts of peoples posts to ignore, as it talks about whos going to be a protagonist, who will get more of a role, etc.
I get they are different mediums and will have changes, but im guessing it will follow a lot of the same stuff.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I just found out r/freefolk, the spoiler-happy GoT nerds, turned full Witcher :lol:

AkaAkuma

Got to episode 7 and finally given up for good

This is a rather standard, cliched mediocre fantasy show. Entertaining at times, and a few things they objectively did well, such as yen's characterization and the burgeoning romance between her amd geralt

Too bad i read the books first i guess. They changed so much, and pretty much all the changes were for the worse, the show basically lost everything that made me like the books in the first place
Episode 6 for me, it's ok, perhaps if I'd continued with the momentum I'd have finished it, but there's just not enough for me to get back into it.

Zen86

Just finished watching and I enjoyed it on the whole. Definitely grew on me as it progressed. Was slightly hard to follow at the beginning, and some of the plots seemed a bit rushed, but I was well into it towards the end.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I enjoyed it a lot - though I think it tried to cram too much into 8 episodes.

Think this first season might have been better off just being spent with the Witcher (and maybe Yen?) and just explaining the world and the lore a bit more - as well as doing more monster hunting. The first seasons could have actually ended at the Law of Surprise reveal and then the first episode of season 2 could have shown Ciri.

But yeah, the strong bits of the show are definitely when its on Cavill/The Witcher... Yen's is alright, and whilst I think she's well acted, they've made her totally unlikable as a character - and I can't speak for the books, but she was never like that in the games.

Also, mage's seem massively overpowered.... they can seemingly do anything?

ManRed

Just finished season 1 and personally found the show quite average with some good moments.

Different timelines were a bit confusing at first but after the first few episodes it makes sense. Casting of the secondary characters is not so good, find it hard to relate to anyone in their roles except maybe Tissaia.

Ciri plotline is so similar to Arya in GOT where she sees her protector (grandma) here get murdered and has to run through the woods finding her 'destiny'. Honestly I just fast forwarded her parts as it was mostly pointless.

Yennifer was the most interesting character development from where she came to how powerful she became.

Henry as Witcher grew on me as the season progressed. First episode he was a bit underwhelming except the sword fight.

ManRed

Watched this over last two days and whilst I enjoyed it, 80% of it went over my head. I can’t name more that 3 characters and I swear I’d need to watch it through 3 times to actually understand what the hell happened in it!
I read the wiki before and after each episode to make sense.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just finished season 1 and personally found the show quite average with some good moments.

Different timelines were a bit confusing at first but after the first few episodes it makes sense. Casting of the secondary characters is not so good, find it hard to relate to anyone in their roles except maybe Tissaia.

Ciri plotline is so similar to Arya in GOT where she sees her protector (grandma) here get murdered and has to run through the woods finding her 'destiny'. Honestly I just fast forwarded her parts as it was mostly pointless.

Yennifer was the most interesting character development from where she came to how powerful she became.

Henry as Witcher grew on me as the season progressed. First episode he was a bit underwhelming except the sword fight.
I like the casting of secondary characters on the whole... particularly Ciri's Grandparents, Fringilla, the mage that Yen loved, Stregobor and Jaskier... thought they're all played very well.

The weakest are probably Triss and the leader of Nilfgaard...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah the casting was well done. Liked all the side characterers. Triss was obviously a let down but the rest left a good impression - Stregoborg, everyone at Cintra, Cahir, Mousdsack, rat boy, Jaskier. Even the really small characters such as the Elven dude and the chap whose brother was killed by the Striga were nicely portrayed. And in this sort of show that's important.

amolbhatia50k

The forest part was the one odd side adventure. It wasn't bad but didn't really seem to mean much.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Watching it right now. I am always in for a nicely done Fantasy/historic series/movie.
The production values are high as expected.
That being said I miss a bit of the grit and the folkloric mysticism that made the books and the game so interesting. Cavill is a bit too young and handsome/slick for my taste and the action too stylish.
I understand that this season is based on the short stories of The Last Wish but somehow it all seems a bit randomly pieced together and the missing overarching plot takes away some of the power and epic scale of similar series like GoT, Vikings or The Last Kingdom.
Nevertheless pretty solid overall and easily worth a watch. Looking forward to season 2.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The forest part was the one odd side adventure. It wasn't bad but didn't really seem to mean much.
That's because they've basically skipped the complete storyline. That isn't how it works in the books at all.

They've used parts of the story from the books to set the scene and introduce the characters, but being only a 8 part series they've not fleshed it out. From the 2nd series it'll be more linear with their own story IMO.

As a book reader i'd personally give the series a solid 6.5/7 out of 10. It does have potential to be a really great show if they nail it.

Conor

Hey everybody, nobody cares that you've read the books. Make another thread.

JoaquinJoaquin

Watch this, explains everything very well...

Adam-Utd

Too much book talk in here
Bad bad GoT thread vibes
Not quite the same thing.

People are quite right to talk about the books as they are following the book story, but they've missed chunks out and rewrote certain areas to suit the tv show.

It's certainly not "spoilers" as we aren't giving away secrets for the future like in the GOT thread, it's just helping people understand what they've missed or not understood.

Like the guy asking about the forest scene - the Scoia'tael (forest people) storyline seems a bit pointless because they've left half of it out and reworked it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

People are quite right to talk about the books as they are following the book story, but they've missed chunks out and rewrote certain areas to suit the tv show.

It's certainly not "spoilers" as we aren't giving away secrets for the future like in the GOT thread, it's just helping people understand what they've missed or not understood.

Like the guy asking about the forest scene - the Scoia'tael (forest people) storyline seems a bit pointless because they've left half of it out and reworked it.
I disagree. If you read the books, make a new thread and discuss it there. No different to GoT.

Adam-Utd

I disagree. If you read the books, make a new thread and discuss it there. No different to GoT.
OK fair enough - but a fair few people are asking why it's unclear and confusing, it's because they've chopped a lot of the story.

Anyway, i'll stop answering.

Massive Spanner

OK fair enough - but a fair few people are asking why it's unclear and confusing, it's because they've chopped a lot of the story.

Anyway, i'll stop answering.
Yes I'm aware of that but the GoT thread was a fecking minefield of book readers coming in and saying "oh I'm not spoiling anything, I'm just discussing what's happened in relation to the books!" whilst spoiling shitloads for people and annoying everyone in there. No point in this turning into the same thing imo. If people want answers to questions they can either google it or ask in the book thread.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

If that's not a book spoiler (that pissed me quite a bit off), then I don't know what is.

Stregobor also got a much larger role, don’t know what’s the thought process behind that since the screen time could be given to flesh out Vilgefortz a bit more as he’ll become a major antagonist later on.

amolbhatia50k

That's because they've basically skipped the complete storyline. That isn't how it works in the books at all.

They've used parts of the story from the books to set the scene and introduce the characters, but being only a 8 part series they've not fleshed it out. From the 2nd series it'll be more linear with their own story IMO.

As a book reader i'd personally give the series a solid 6.5/7 out of 10. It does have potential to be a really great show if they nail it.
As a non book reader I'd give an 8.5. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Conor

It's a slippery slope, you can be in here talking about books with no intention of spoiling something, someone else will pop their head in, see that book discussion is happening, and proceed to spoil something. Just create another thread to talk about the books.

Adam-Utd

If that's not a book spoiler (that pissed me quite a bit off), then I don't know what is.

Potentially, but I feel they are going to move away from the book storyline so i'm not sure it'll matter.
As a non book reader I'd give an 8.5. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm really glad many non book readers have taken to it so well. I did fear with the time hoping it might get a bit confusing but that seems to be the only major complaint, in season 2 lets hope they stop that and make it easier to follow.
It's a slippery slope, you can be in here talking about books with no intention of spoiling something, someone else will pop their head in, see that book discussion is happening, and proceed to spoil something. Just create another thread to talk about the books.
Fair point, we should probably do that with season 2.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's a bit like LOTR, isn't it? Film goers loved it but book readers were divided because it had so many changes to the source material. And also a little like when the Hobbit trilogy was made, but only slightly because everyone thought those were shite.

Massive Spanner

It's a bit like LOTR, isn't it? Film goers loved it but book readers were divided because it had so many changes to the source material. And also a little like when the Hobbit trilogy was made, but only slightly because everyone thought those were shite.
Really? Can't say I visited the internet much back in 2001 but the LotR films seemed to be pretty unanimously loved by just about everyone; critics included. It's only now that people seem to look back on them and be critical, which is easy to do with a near 20 year old trilogy.

The Witcher on the other hand.. I mean.. I get why people who read the books like it, I'm sure having a feature length, eight hour adaptation of a series they adore is probably really enjoyable in itself, but the show was pretty fecking meh overall. Some promising elements but let down by poor a poor script, terrible pacing and a really confusing timeline.

What GoT did great in the early season's was honour the source material so book reader's would love it but also make it easily accessible to anyone who hadn't read them. Anyone could watch the show and not feel like they were missing anything important if they didn't read the books. That became less the case in later season's as things got more complex and the character count increased tenfold, but by then everyone was hooked. With The Witcher on the other hand I constantly felt like it was far more difficult for me to follow because I hadn't read the books.

Sylar

I dont really feel like ive missed anything by only watching the show. I didnt find it difficult either although I figured the different timelines around ep3 or 4 (whichever had the Queen trying to hire the Witcher).

Book talk by the way should be banned (should be put into the thread title - although I dont think that will help cos that was still happening in the GoT thread 8 seasons later and people were still confused by that concept, people really are the worst thing about this world).

Potentially, but I feel they are going to move away from the book storyline so i'm not sure it'll matter.
Isnt that an issue though. You arent sure, and thus it could or could not be a spoiler. So anything that hasnt happened on the TV should not be brought up by anybody.

Adam-Utd

I dont really feel like ive missed anything by only watching the show. I didnt find it difficult either although I figured the different timelines around ep3 or 4 (whichever had the Queen trying to hire the Witcher).

Book talk by the way should be banned (should be put into the thread title - although I dont think that will help cos that was still happening in the GoT thread 8 seasons later and people were still confused by that concept, people really are the worst thing about this world).

Isnt that an issue though. You arent sure, and thus it could or could not be a spoiler. So anything that hasnt happened on the TV should not be brought up by anybody.
I agree about future tense yes, that shouldn't have been said. I've only brought up stuff that has "already happened" according to the tv storyline, but they've neglected to show it. If you haven't read the books you'll never know that stuff (un;ess the revisit it with flash backs).

The director basically said they didn't have time to fill the whole story before the main characters met, and they didn't want to waste 8 episodes before that happened which is fair enough. To me that shows they'll create their own version.