The worrying prospect of English clubs increasing their Champions League haul in the next 5 years

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
At the moment I think few would argue that Chelsea, Liverpool and City are in the top 5 clubs in the world and possibly the top 3.

In recent years we've been subjected to Chelsea and Liverpool winning the Champions League and it could've been much worse.

Now we are at a point where the European giants are in transition or just down right awful. Currently the only teams who can hold a candle to the English clubs are Munich and PSG. The latter being the weakest of the lot.

This worries me, could we see Chelsea overtake our number of titles? Liverpool get to double figures or even City buy their first European title?

Anyone else concerned?

Kaos

Not necessarily, these periods of regional dominance tend to be cyclical, and right now the English clubs are at the pinnacle, just as we were 10-12 years ago. The likes of Klopp and Pep won't be at their respective clubs for much longer (Pep hasn't even won the CL at city yet...), so don't see it being a given that English clubs will indefinitely remain being top dogs in Europe.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not necessarily, these periods of regional dominance tend to be cyclical, and right now the English clubs are at the pinnacle, just as we were 10-12 years ago. The likes of Klopp and Pep won't be at their respective clubs for much longer (Pep hasn't even won the CL at city yet...), so don't see it being a given that English clubs will indefinitely remain being top dogs in Europe.
The problem is how far are teams like Real, Barca and Juventus from returning to being top dogs? I think Real are the closest but will they do it in the next 2 or 3 seasons?

PSG could improve but at the moment I only see Bayern as the one to stop all English finals.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm guessing the worry is that United aren't seen as one of the English clubs who are likely to have a great chance go win the CL. So in essence sitting on the sidelines while City, Liverpool and Chelsea go to battle with Bayern and PSG.

In any case, I think Real Madrid will be a contender next season and Chelsea can fall out of the 'best in Europe' group just as quickly and unpredictably as they got in the group. And if United get the next appointment right, they absolutely will be in the mix for the big trophies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
City, Chelsea and Liverpool are lucky that there's barely any competition at the moment.

When we were at our peak we had Madrid and Barca either beating us to CLs or taking our best player. The current top teams have none of that. Jammy fecks.

shaky

Not worried really. We look like we're finally getting our act together, so the likes of Barca, Madrid etc being gash is going to benefit ourselves as much as anyone. This "greatest Liverpool team in decades" still only have 2 major trophies to their name in Klopp's era and City and Chelsea are financially doped to the eyeballs so nobody cares about their achievements apart from themselves.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
City, Chelsea and Liverpool are lucky that there's barely any competition at the moment.

When we were at our peak we had Madrid and Barca either beating us to CLs or taking our best player. The current top teams have none of that. Jammy fecks.
We were at our peak back then too. Endless semifinal defeats and when we did get to the final, we had to face a poxy super team that was in the process of winning 3 titles in a row.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We were at our peak back then too. Endless semifinal defeats and when we did get to the final, we had to face a poxy super team that was in the process of winning 3 titles in a row.
:D

We reached 3 finals in 4 years though. Was quite frustrating in the end to come up against one of the all time great teams.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
At the moment I think few would argue that Chelsea, Liverpool and City are in the top 5 clubs in the world and possibly the top 3.

In recent years we've been subjected to Chelsea and Liverpool winning the Champions League and it could've been much worse.

Now we are at a point where the European giants are in transition or just down right awful. Currently the only teams who can hold a candle to the English clubs are Munich and PSG. The latter being the weakest of the lot.

This worries me, could we see Chelsea overtake our number of titles? Liverpool get to double figures or even City buy their first European title?

Anyone else concerned?
Is any business that invests into their product not entitled to be a market leader?
quantity of money invested or quality of investment re the staff. Either way all of the above have invested heavily.

Its not like before where clubs are clubs affiliated to their areas.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is any business that invests into their product not entitled to be a market leader?
quantity of money invested or quality of investment re the staff. Either way all of the above have invested heavily.

Its not like before where clubs are clubs affiliated to their areas.
If Walkers becomes the best selling Crisp I don't mind.

If Liverpool win 10 champions leagues, I'll be one of the first to try and colonise Mars

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's hard to win the CL. I believe no manager has won more than 3.

Guardiola has won 2 already and his stint at City won't last too much longer. Klopp's stint at Liverpool will also end eventually, he's won 1. Tuchel has 1 and, other than that, Chelsea really hadn't done anything in the CL in almost 9 years. His stint at Chelsea will also end soon, since no one there lasts.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:D

We reached 3 finals in 4 years though. Was quite frustrating in the end to come up against one of the all time great teams.
I hear you, 3 finals in 4 years winning only one is tough.

Could have had back to back Chelsea-United CL finals if it wasn't for a bald Norwegian ref.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Probably will win a couple. I mean we won't win 5 in a row, probably!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If Walkers becomes the best selling Crisp I don't mind.

If Liverpool win 10 champions leagues, I'll be one of the first to try and colonise Mars
I'll go with you.

But look with clever investment no reason why United plc can't be a market Leader too

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's definitely a worry. City winning it looks inevitable and traditional heavy weights who tend to excel in Europe when they are good. I can see both winning the CL in the near future. Liverpool to me, seem a great fit for the competition especially given the weak pool that we have currently.

led_scholes

A small but easy fix is to stop forbidding clubs from the same country from facing each other at the round of 16.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I quite like the way England has had more winning clubs than anywhere else, going back to Forest and Villa, and I wouldn't be too upset if City got one as well. But just the one, obviously.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The cycle argument completely falls apart when you look at the distribution of wealth in the game. England is only going to get stronger, the others weaker. We have to get our act together or we'll be overtaken soon by Chelsea, and eventually by City.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Anyone else concerned?
You must have hated the late 70s-80s. 7 out of 8 years English teams won it.

tomaldinho1

It’s annoying in that it’s easier to win now and I can’t really see much changing given the money flow isn’t going to stop heading the PL’s way. The positive is it’ll be easier for us once we sort ourselves out and, if we’re honest, I’m surprised it hasn’t been won more by PL teams in the last 5-6 years.

Real will recover, PSG really should be more on Bayern’s level consistency wise, maybe Barca/Juve will take a bit longer but I don’t think it’ll ever be as uncompetitive as it is this season for a long time. For example we could feasibly get to semis/final with some nice draws and then it’s as much luck as anything. Basically we want City, Pool, Chelsea, Bayern to get each other at some point. I think we could beat PSG.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't worry too much about us.

We always get the worse draw possible in the RO16 which severely limits our chances.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah it crossed my mind when Chelsea won their second. That’s 2 in 9 years, and one less than we’ve won in our entire history. We’re quite far off ourselves which makes it less than ideal.

allen7

Exactly this. Add to that on top of their best players in their peak form (Messi, iniesta, benzema)
Now we are all talking about mbappe or haaland who are not even half the talent Messi Ronaldo was. It’s comparatively easy to win now than before.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

But if United, Barce and Real were the top 3 teams, how is it different if you're one of those current top 3 teams? You still have 2 big rivals.

Think about it from Liverpool's position.

They put together a hell of a team, and have won 1 league and 1 Euro cup from a 4 or so year period. At other times they might have got 3 titles in both.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly this. Add to that on top of their best players in their peak form (Messi, iniesta, benzema)
Now we are all talking about mbappe or haaland who are not even half the talent Messi Ronaldo was. It’s comparatively easy to win now than before.
If it was that easy, how come City haven't won one Euro cup? Despite having their best team in history, and smashing domestic rivals into next week.

amolbhatia50k

But if United, Barce and Real were the top 3 teams, how is it different if you're one of those current top 3 teams? You still have 2 big rivals.

Think about it from Liverpool's position.

They put together a hell of a team, and have won 1 league and 1 Euro cup from a 4 or so year period. At other times they might have got 3 titles in both.
In the CL though I'd take facing Pep's City anyway over Pep's Barcelona or Tuchel's Chelsea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In the CL though I'd take facing Pep's City anyway over Pep's Barcelona or Tuchel's Chelsea.
Do you think this Chelsea team are better than City? or just in this cup as they tend to blow up late on every season?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Utd are in the conversation in terms of our team and squad. The right manager and we are every bit a major contender.

amolbhatia50k

C
Do you think this Chelsea team are better than City? or just in this cup as they tend to blow up late on every season?
City have a mental block when it comes to the CL. It happens to teams that have an expectation to win it but repeatedly stumble (see PsG and Juve). They are a better team than Chelsea in general. Either are far weaker than peak Barcelona though

jackal&hyde

There is no problem. While the English clubs are worried who has the best pressing stats, Real Madrid will take care of the Champions League with it's boring buy good players strategy.

Blood Mage

Nobody takes the achievements of oil clubs seriously so as long as it's not the dippers winning it I don't care.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There is a real possibility both Chelsea and City match our CL wins total of 3 by the time we win league or CL again (which may not happen for 1-15 years). Chelsea probably have another one in them within the next 5 years, City have to win eventually.