The worst United Eleven post Ferguson - signed players or any players used.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Reading the best post Ferguson eleven, thought it would be fun to do the opposite. Also be good to remember some of our fallen soldiers.

Who were the worst combined eleven post Ferguson?

Onana
Darmian Maguire Rojo
Schneiderlin Van de Beek
Falcao

Help me out with more.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No way HM would be here. He had 2 very good seasons.

Valdes/Onana
Darmian Bailly Rojo Buttner
Schneiderlin Schweisteiger
Sanchez VDB Depay
Falcao

I'm not going to put in the youth players, but I could have easily put in Blackett, Powell, TFM, Wilson. I also realize I'm being a bit lenient to Antony.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
------------------------------------Valdes
Darmian----------------Bailly-------Blackett---------------Telles
-------Schweinsteiger-------Pereira--------Schneiderlin
James----------------------------------------------------------Memphis Sanchez
--------------------------------------Ighalo

Harsh on James who was pretty handy in an underdog setup under Ole, but obviously not good enough for a progressive team. Memphis has done OK in his career, but not the right mentality. Pereira is doing really well at Fulham but Ole deployed him often in a midfield two and, like Fred, he couldn't carry the ball without calamity.

There are so many others though this will be quite competitive.

edit: forgot Sanchez. Of course he comes in instead of Memphis.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Onana

Darmian
Bailly
Rojo
Malacia

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger

Sanchez
Van de Beek
James

Weghorst

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
Reading the best post Ferguson eleven, thought it would be fun to do the opposite. Also be good to remember some of our fallen soldiers.

Onana
Darmian Maguire Rojo
Schneiderlin Van de Beek
Falcao

Help me out with more.
Come on, Maguire isnt everyone's cup of tea but to suggest he's worse than Tyler Blackett or Paddy Mcnair is a bit daft.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No way HM would be here. He had 2 very good seasons.

Valdes/Onana
Darmian Bailly Rojo Buttner
Schneiderlin Schweisteiger
Sanchez VDB Depay
Falcao

I'm not going to put in the youth players, but I could have easily put in Blackett, Powell, TFM, Wilson. I also realize I'm being a bit lenient to Antony.
Bought by SAF.

Oranges038

Dubravka
MuttonChops - Bailly - Rojo - Telles
Spiderman Pigclimber
The Invisible Donny
Piano Man - Carthorst - Memphis bellend​

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
------------------------------------Valdes
Darmian----------------Bailly-------Blackett---------------Telles
-------Schweinsteiger-------Pereira--------Schneiderlin
James----------------------------------------------------------Memphis Sanchez
--------------------------------------Ighalo

Harsh on James who was pretty handy in an underdog setup under Ole, but obviously not good enough for a progressive team. Memphis has done OK in his career, but not the right mentality. Pereira is doing really well at Fulham but Ole deployed him often in a midfield two and, like Fred, he couldn't carry the ball without calamity.

There are so many others though this will be quite competitive.

edit: forgot Sanchez. Of course he comes in instead of Memphis.
Hard to see how you put James here ahead of Sancho.

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
Onana
WBS/Darmian
Maquire
Baily
Telles
Antony
Bastian
Morgan
Sancho
Ighalo
Wout

They would get relegated.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m going for signed players only

Onana
Darmien - Bailly -Lindelof - telles
Schweinsteiger - Schneiderlin - Van De Beek
Depay - Wout - Sanchez

edit: swapped out ighalo for Sanchez as the former was a loan player who did ok whereas the latter cost 300k per week and did very little

Last edited:

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
James was a cheap punt, scored a few goals in a purple patch, but wasn't good enough and was sold for a profit. Ridiculous to call that a 'disaster'.
The purpose of the thread can be interpreted in different ways. Personally, I went for worst players, ability wise, as opposed to worst transfers.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The purpose of the thread can be interpreted in different ways. Personally, I went for worst players, ability wise, as opposed to worst transfers.
Fair enough. Sanchez was such a colossal cluster of a transfer in every way, but for me James was just a prospect that wasn't able to step up.
So rare we make a profit on a transfer too, even a small one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Valdes

Darmian
Bailly
Rojo
Telles

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger
Van De Beek

Depay
Alexis Sanchez
Sancho

Didn’t put falcao in as he was on loan, and although Di Maria was poor we did recoup most of the fee. Sancho cost 73m, and we’d do well to get 20 for him when he goes. What a bunch of frauds.

Telsim

Onana
Darmian Bailly Rojo Telles
Schneiderlin Van de Beek Schweinsteiger
Antony Sanchez Sancho
Though you could probably make another completely different team from the rest after a decade of failure.

edgecutter

Onana

Darmian
Maguire
Bailly
Blackett

Blind
Schneiderlin
Van De Beek

Di Maria
Falcao
Sanchez
Daley Blind should be nowhere near the list of poor signings. He was a decent cheap signing for a number of years and we also broke even when we sold him back to Ajax.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Valdes

Darmian
Maguire
Lindelof
Williams

Fellaini
Schneiderlin
Pereira

Sanchez
Weghorst
Elanga

Genuinely think they'd get relegated.

Also: Pogba, James, Falcao, Sancho, Telles, VDB, Depay, Lingard, Mhikitarian, McNair, Rojo all strong contenders for a starting spot.

Feels a bit harsh on Elanga as at least he tried hard and had the excuse of being a kid. Also slightly harsh on Maguire and Lindelof but I'm going off the Ole/Rangnick season when they were the two worst CBs in the league that weren't playing for Norwich.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia and Blind do absolutely not deserve their mentions.

Any lineup not featuring Rojo, Bailly and Schneiderlin are wrong.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Daley Blind should be nowhere near the list of poor signings. He was a decent cheap signing for a number of years and we also broke even when we sold him back to Ajax.
Thought he was a liability at CB (good on the ball but awful at defending), but I'd let him off because he was at least capable enough that you could have a pretty good team with him in it. Plus he could also play cm and lb semi capably which made him quite useful. He'd be starting every game for us atm in whatever position everyone else was injured in.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Onana? Really? So many 10 yrs olds in here. It is what, 10 games he played?, and he is already in the worts team post Sir Alex and that would be 10 years now.
Congratulations.

Thom Merrilin

Pereira
Varela Blackett Rojo McNair Jackson
Schweinsteiger Thorpe Janko
Keane Falcao
Yes, these guys all played for the first team.

Last edited:
Bailly is being done a disservice being named in nearly everyone's team. We've only won 4 trophies all decade and he was key in two of them, started the League Cup final under Mourinho and was in the Europa team of the season if I'm remembering correctly - generally looked very good that entire season, and the thought was that he was a very promising young CB. Injuries ruined him since, obviously, and we should have got rid ages ago.

I'm actually struggling with center backs, because we haven't signed too many and even the relatively crap ones like Bailly / Lindelof / Maguire have had moments. Most of the truly bad ones were kids thrown into the deep end by LVG, or the old guard (Evans was garbage under Van Gaal, ditto Smalling in his last couple of seasons with Mourinho).

I'd go:

Valdes - Onana is off to a shite start but I back him to turn it around. This guy barely got on the pitch and still managed to piss everyone off on his way out

Darmian - looked amazing for about three games. Then just ... pointless
[placeholder CB - will think of someone]
Rojo - one good spell of form in his entire time here, and even that was with the caveat that he got away with at least 3 straight-red challenges in about two months)
Telles - I'd read he was an incredible crosser and set piece taker when we got him. Must have produced, like, one assist in his time here

Schneiderlin - self-explanatory
Schweinsteiger - see above
Van de Beek - and again

Sanchez - must still be the worst of all time
Sancho - might end up beating Alexis at this rate
Falcao - was completely shot when we got him, beats Weghorst/Ighalo because they were desperate punts

Ludens the Red

Onana? Really? So many 10 yrs olds in here. It is what, 10 games he played?, and he is already in the worts team post Sir Alex and that would be 10 years now.
Congratulations.
The options are limited. We had degea for ten years so who the feck else are people gonna put. I’ve seen Valdez but he was free and probably played less than Onana already has. And iirc he didn’t throw the ball into his net once so surpasses Onana.

onana
Darmian
Lindelof
Mcnair
Blackert
Sanchez
Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger
Antony
Weghorst
Depay

Thom Merrilin

The options are limited. We had degea for ten years so who the feck else are people gonna put. I’ve seen Valdez but he was free and probably played less than Onana already has. And iirc he didn’t throw the ball into his net once so surpasses Onana.

onana
Darmian
Lindelof
Mcnair
Blackert
Sanchez
Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger
Antony
Weghorst
Depay
They're actually not so limited. A quick Google shows that Joel Pereira played a few games under Mourinho. He now plays for Reading in League One.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Onana
Darmian Maguire Rojo
Schneiderlin Van de Beek
Falcao

Help me out with more.
Interesting thread.
Just for clarification. Are you talking about the worst players or the worst performing players.
For example. Sancho would not be classed as the worst player but in my opinion definitely would be classed as a worst performing player.
And I might say the same for Martial.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bailly is being done a disservice being named in nearly everyone's team. We've only won 4 trophies all decade and he was key in two of them, started the League Cup final under Mourinho and was in the Europa team of the season if I'm remembering correctly - generally looked very good that entire season, and the thought was that he was a very promising young CB. Injuries ruined him since, obviously, and we should have got rid ages ago.
I had the same issue with CBs. I just went for the two who were mostly playing when our defence was at its worst. They've both had spells where they've looked a lot better. I don't think there's that many really great CBs about anymore and often its as much down to how much protection they get or how much actual defending they have to do.

Bailly I didn't include because I can't imagine he wouldn't have done better than Maguire for example when he cost us 9 goals in 2 games (Leicester then Liverpool). I mean even if he got sent off in the first minute technically that would have been better. Lindelof was also absolutely shocking for most of that season. Maybe the alternative wouldn't have looked any better, but we never got to find out.

Revaulx

Pereira
Varela Blackett Rojo McNair Jackson
Schweinsteiger Thorpe Janko
Keane Falcao
Yes, these guys all played for the first team.
Borthwick-Jackson?

I thought he looked quite promising. Went on loan to Wolves where he displayed attitude issues and regarded being there as beneath him. A shame, because he’d seemed like a decent lad. He’s had a solid lower league career since though.

I think we’ve had worse left backs than him. Rojo was terrible there (though I thought he was ok at CB) and Telles got worse the longer he was with us.

AndySmith1990

You could put together 3 or 4 different worst elevens from the staggering amount of dross we've fielded in recent years, and it'd be debatable which is the worst

Ludens the Red

They're actually not so limited. A quick Google shows that Joel Pereira played a few games under Mourinho. He now plays for Reading in League One.
How many games did he play? 2? Did he make any glaring errors?
If you start going down the route of including academy players who played two games and are now in league one becomes a bit silly.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can see a lot of people putting Onana in already after not even halve a season with us :lol: How did DDG start off when he joined us? And how did he end before he left us?

Thom Merrilin

Borthwick-Jackson?

I thought he looked quite promising. Went on loan to Wolves where he displayed attitude issues and regarded being there as beneath him. A shame, because he’d seemed like a decent lad. He’s had a solid lower league career since though.

I think we’ve had worse left backs than him. Rojo was terrible there (though I thought he was ok at CB) and Telles got worse the longer he was with us.
It could be recency bias but yeah I'd take Telles over him.

Also, Rojo was a walking red card at center back and was only usable at fullback, that's where he played for Argentina as well.

Kingdingaling

Varane has been worse for us than pretty much all the other defenders mentioned.