The XX

SecondFig

Why hasn't somebody introduced me to them before now!

Don't know if anyone fellow caftards are a fan, but they're awesome in a gauzy evening-light, slightly understated, stripped-bare no-frills, apologetic shoe-gazery kind of way...None of which makes much sense, so I'll just say they're wonderful and give you:

Easy V

Yea, I posted one of their songs in the "What are we listening to?" thread last week. Very good album, especially considering it's the first release from such a young band. Really impressive.

SecondFig

Almost a year later and I'm still in love with their debut album.

I like the video to Islands too, though it took me about half the video to realise what was happening (wasn't paying much attention tbf)

Doogie

Florence and the Machine -You've got the love (XX remix)
Really like this one as well as those song already posted.

MJLD

I got the album, hated it, then decided to listen to it with more attention last night. Its weird. I like it.

SecondFig

I was amazed how confident and assured they were in creating a recognisable sound/style of their own, without seeming to pastiche or mimic other bands. For such a young band's first album, they've got a really distinct style.

didsbury1982

I was amazed how confident and assured they were in creating a recognisable sound/style of their own, without seeming to pastiche or mimic other bands. For such a young band's first album, they've got a really distinct style.
This. Unbelievably mature singing voices for their age as well.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Loving this band at present.

Hope their second album is just as good

MalibuKen

I love that dubstep version of Intro.

The xx though are pretty incredible.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Loving this band at present.

Hope their second album is just as good
In an interview for NME they said they have no plans for a second album. How much of that you're willing to believe is up to you but they do strike me as one of those bands that will just disappear for no apparant reason.

bazalini

In an interview for NME they said they have no plans for a second album. How much of that you're willing to believe is up to you but they do strike me as one of those bands that will just disappear for no apparant reason.
That would be a shame

bazalini

feck me - Just seen the girl with the most beautiful voice who sings in this band.

Maybe not a bad thing she disappears fof good. "U G L Y - She ain't got no Alibi"

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That would be a shame
They never intended for anyone to hear the first album. It just gained popularity through the internet and soon everyone had picked up on it. I think the sudden media exposure is the reason the 4th member left.

Easy V

Didn't know whether or not to start a new thread for this but Jamie xx, the guy responsible for the bass in The xx, has remixed Gil Scott-Heron's 2010 album, 'I'm New Here'. The title of the new album is 'We're New Here' and it has leaked online. It's a very different sound from The xx, probably fitting more into the Post-Dubstep genre that's seeing a rise in exposure recently with Mount Kimbie last year and James Blake set to release his debut album next week (which is fantastic too). Here's a couple of tracks;

'My Cloud' is another top track, but I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

Doogie

Read an interview with Jamie on Pitchfork the other day. Talks about working on new music with the XX
Pitchfork: Are you working on the next xx album yet?

JS: At the moment, we're just making music, like we used to. We're not thinking about it in terms of what'll go on the album and what won't yet.

Pitchfork: Are you trying to stick to the same sound as the first album?

JS: I think it will definitely sound different than the last album and anything I've ever done, just because our ears have been opened to so much music. Two years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of listening to most of the stuff I listen to now. Like, I wasn't interested in techno and house at all before but, when I was in Chicago, I bought a bunch of Dance Mania records from the 80s and 90s, and I've listened to a lot of that.

Scrumpet

There are no words
This is the first single from their upcoming second album apparently.

What do we think? Not too sure myself. I was interested to see what direction they would go in but this sounds like more of the same to me.

Sally Cinnamon

It's good. More of the same is good for me. It's only one song anyway, the rest won't all be the same.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently the new album is going to have more of a 'club' feel so you could probably expect Jamie to have a pretty big influence. Personally not a fan of his remixes but i like Angels so i expect the whole bands vibe will make it excellent.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Only listened to it once, and though it's ok, I feel it sounds VERY much like the first one. Not only style, which is natural, but even the way the album is constructed, some songs... I don't see any real evolution between both albums. But as I said, I've only listened to it once.

Easy V

The album is a grower. Most comments I've seen from people listening to it for the first time are that it sounds very monotonous, that it's too slow and too similar to their debut. I felt the same way on first listen, but after more listens, it just gets better and better. The production is much more varied than on their debut, and it's also much better, as is the maturity of the songwriting, both in terms of lyrics and song structure. I think it's a better album than xx overall, although there are a couple of tracks on the debut than stand out more than anything on here.

Scrumpet

There are no words
After one listen, I like it. It starts a bit slow, tracks 2-4 are a bit underwhelming but it really picks up from there. Reunion, Sunset, Missing and Tides are all great. I wasn't blown away, but then again I don't think I was after one listen of their first album. Good shit.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Why hasn't somebody introduced me to them before now!

Don't know if anyone fellow caftards are a fan, but they're awesome in a gauzy evening-light, slightly understated, stripped-bare no-frills, apologetic shoe-gazery kind of way...None of which makes much sense, so I'll just say they're wonderful and give you:
https://www.redcafe.net/f27/xx-357512/

Damon Albarn (and gorillaz) cover Crystalized

Iron Stove

I want to like it. It's decent with some good tracks, but a bit too boring for me.