Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

Judas

Open to offers
He was proper proper get in the bin level tonight.

I don't know if he fits Liverpool's style so far, maybe it'll click, but so far it looks a total clash of styles.

Controlled the tempo fantastically well today, what a player.

Was my favorite centre mid in world football for the past 5 years, but he's a Liverpool player now. Game's the game.

Oranges038

that’s was 7 or 8 years ago!
I am well aware that it was 7 or 8 years ago when Moyes passed on him, it's always brought up about him, as a big mistake he made that ruined Utd's midfield for years. I am merely pointing out the fickle nature of football and football fans.

When he signed for Liverpool in September plenty on here were pissed he went there, some even called him the best in the world, better that entire Utd team, that they would walk the league for a few years with him. It's all in the first few pages of this thread.

Now after a few games, his legs are shot, all he does is foul and pass the ball sideways.

It's a funny old game.

Bwuk

He's a brilliant footballer, but he doesn't suit Liverpool. He takes too many touches and it slows everything down.

Thiagoal

He would look much better playing for us. His passing from deep instead of Fred with Cavani/Martial's ability to receive the ball into feet :drool:

Firmino and Thiago combining will lead to about half a goal over a season
Nah!! We’d sorely miss Fred’s pressing and energy! He’d be as much a misfit for us as he is with the dippers

I am well aware that it was 7 or 8 years ago when Moyes passed on him, it's always brought up about him, as a big mistake he made that ruined Utd's midfield for years. I am merely pointing out the fickle nature of football and football fans.

When he signed for Liverpool in September plenty on here were pissed he went there, some even called him the best in the world, better that entire Utd team, that they would walk the league for a few years with him. It's all in the first few pages of this thread.

Now after a few games, his legs are shot, all he does is foul and pass the ball sideways.

It's a funny old game.
if It was a couple of years ago, you could describe it as fickle, but not when it’s at two ends of the guy’s career.

lots of fans on here were losses that we didn’t sign Willian or Bale.

tomaldinho1

Bayern wanted to keep Thiago though
Well they offered him what they thought was an acceptable new deal and he said no, they didn't seem to really care i.e improve the terms. From what I understand from fans in Germany (non Bayern fans that is) is he was never seen as that amazing and for Bayern to get what £30m (?) for him is pretty amazing business in a covid year.

nyanza

So he decided to leave Bayern and switch country for Liverpool to play heavy metal moyesball under the mentality monster Joergen. Talk about bad decisions if he doesn't end up winning anything significant with them.

cyberman

The existential crisis this signing brought to our fanbase still bewilders me

Oranges038

if It was a couple of years ago, you could describe it as fickle, but not when it’s at two ends of the guy’s career.

lots of fans on here were losses that we didn’t sign Willian or Bale.
Take another read of what I posted originally.

A few months ago a lot on here wanted him at Utd from Bayern and were bemoaning Moyes decision not to sign him all them years ago.

Now that he's a Liverpool player, he's dirty useless twat, who has no legs, fouls all the time and only passes the ball sideways.
I'm not talking about 2 ends of his career. I mentioned the difference in opinion between September and now (that's about 4 months ago) based on a few bad games. That's what you call fickle.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, some on here were calling him the best in the world, and calling me out for claiming it was untrue!
Crazy stuff. :houllier: :lol:
Couple on here who were adamant it was he who was much better than Kimmich. Crazy stuff.

SAFMUTD

Im impressed he hasnt clicked for Liverpool, he was world class at Bayern and definitely wanted him here. But so so glad its not working for them.

RedCurry

His ability to play those passes just cannot be questioned. But at his age, coming to PL and being able to play at this pace every week was always going to be under a serious doubt. Still probably likely to come good mind you.

Take another read of what I posted originally.

I'm not talking about 2 ends of his career. I mentioned the difference in opinion between September and now (that's about 4 months ago) based on a few bad games. That's what you call fickle.
that’s just a section of posters. Many of us, me included, thought he wasn’t needed at United, didn’t think he was ever coming, and didn’t think he was the second coming of [insert any decent midfielder or Jesus].

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Couple on here who were adamant it was he who was much better than Kimmich. Crazy stuff.
:lol: :lol:
Crazy, Kimmich is the reason Bayern didn't fight to hard to keep Thiago!!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Thought he was good against United. He was rubbish tonight. Looked physically slow and didn't impact the game at all against a low block side.

Lee565

He probably would have been a great signing for any of the top sides in the premier league except liverpool and their style.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
A few months ago a lot on here wanted him at Utd from Bayern and were bemoaning Moyes decision not to sign him all them years ago.

Now that he's a Liverpool player, he's dirty useless twat, who has no legs, fouls all the time and only passes the ball sideways.
Weirdly, he probably fits our style of play better than theirs.

Oranges038

that’s just a section of posters. Many of us, me included, thought he wasn’t needed at United, didn’t think he was ever coming, and didn’t think he was the second coming of [insert any decent midfielder or Jesus].
Me either, but I'm sure you'll find a fair few that have changed their tune.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's not a plug and play type of player. You put Cavani in any top sides, in any league and he'll perform but Thiago is probably still adapting. Pool's style doesn't seem to suit him and it'll be funny if their biggest (and old) signing ends up needing one year to adapt just like young players.

acnumber9

He’s their Veron. A great player in his own right but maybe not the right player for their team.

Blackwidow

Thought he was good against United. He was rubbish tonight. Looked physically slow and didn't impact the game at all against a low block side.
He is not the one who is responsible for the movement. He actually is the one who reacts to the movement of others - atleast at Bayern it was like this. You had the connection between Müller and Lewy and the combined movement of them and the wingers - and then Thiago who could play the rightly timed pass from behind. He then has the eye for the situation. He never assisted or shot much, but was great in stealing the ball together with others and was quite good defensively, too.

He was more creative from behind then when he played as ten in the year with Ancelotti.

I would love to have him back in Munich.

Oranges038

I don't think he would.

I might be totally wrong here, I don't think he's all of a sudden a bad player and I don't think he's finished. I think he's still adjusting and it's been extended by his injury, he missed 17 games in the two months he was out, that's a lot of football he could have played.

We all know they were very direct last year. Problem with that is that it doesn't take teams long to figure out how to counteract it. I think Klopp knew that and brought him in to try and play a more of a composed style of football, he's been hampered in that approach by the defensive injuries.

A fully fit Van Dijk and Matip behind a midfield three combination of any of Thiago, Gini, Fabinho and Henderson and I think you'd be seeing a different team and a different player.

Not that I mind, I am enjoying the meltdown while it lasts..

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Usually very well informed Sport-Bild has an opinion piece today citing "people in munich who are in contact with Thiago", suggesting Thiago might be unhappy at Liverpool and, given the chance, would *walk* back to munich on foot, if the opportunity arose...

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundeslig...nen-abschied-schon-bereut-74951410.sport.html
As much as I'd like to believe that there's something to that, honestly, this does sound like a piece of senile fan fiction writing, from a guy who I'm afraid these days might have substantially less grasp of the world of football than the average online poster. I'm sure he knows people at Bayern, that's no question, and I'm also sure they're telling to themselves the same self-satisfying and provincially conceited stuff they are apparently telling him, doesn't make it in any way relevant or insightful.
Ok, I take everything back.
Welcome back :drool:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Major Schweinsteiger vibes. Bayern are a great selling club.
It's been said frequently that they only sell players they don't want to keep. I still think Thiago is a class above most midfielders though.

Bojan11

I see I touched a nerve and someone decided to change the thread title. Some people are real divas on here.

Pace Abuser

Looks super stylish making short or medium length passess, does naff all other than that. I thought at one point in the second half he was hiding in the middle and didn't want the ball. Game just passed him by as it went on.

I too feel he's out of sync with the team. He'll make an interesting pass, only for the receiver to play a cross or do some basic disjointed stuff.

Commentator on 5 live couldn't stop praising him in the first half.

tomaldinho1

He would be terrible in Ole’s system.

I get the logic behind why they bought him - they were at ~60% possession most games against teams who sat in and that creates a lot of room for a player in Thiago’s position (see how United set up and made him look good before we pushed up into the midfield and he disappeared). Problem is almost every team is learning how to press effectively and the PL is so fast. That and they have just fallen off a cliff with the injuries.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No, some on here were calling him the best in the world, and calling me out for claiming it was untrue!
Crazy stuff. :houllier: :lol:
Those must be the hipster followers.

El Jefe

Great player just in a team that doesn't really suit his style. This Liverpool team prefer to play far more through their fullbacks than central midfield. Essentially their game revolves around getting the ball to Trent and Robertson as quick as possible. Thiago needs many touches of the ball and to dictate the pace of the game.

As someone else mentioned, I think he'd be far better if he played for us. We play a lot slower and when we're not countering, our buildup play is measured and patient.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Im impressed he hasnt clicked for Liverpool, he was world class at Bayern and definitely wanted him here. But so so glad its not working for them.
Thiago was only world class in the last of his 7 seasons at Bayern. He was average for the first 6 seasons at Bayern

meamth

Well what do you know, there's a reason why Scholes/Xavi/Xabi Alonso type of midfielders are rarity these days.

Box to box is the trend now, neat possession style midfielders are not as effective as it was.