Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Really? Never knew that. Strange thing to say, I wouldnt be happy if Welbeck said something similar for example.

I only found that out a day or two ago too. Someone linked to it on here, and it was from a couple of years ago, so I dunno if things have changed. I don't know if they have, considering he's still looking for a move away for first team football.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think if we do sign him he's almost certainly going to move on to a different club again. I don't think he's a guy who likes to stay at 1 club for particularly long

He's been at Barcelona since he was 14...

Shark

@NotShark
I think if we do sign him he's almost certainly going to move on to a different club again. I don't think he's a guy who likes to stay at 1 club for particularly long and he has no reason to really care about our history. But who cares? 3-4 years of a potentially world class midfielder is still a good thing.

How exactly would you come to assume that? because he's Spanish?

Phil

I don't know what will be more satisfying, when we actually sign him. The fact we got one of the most promising youngsters out there or the fact that we more or less robbed him from Barcelona
I'm also hoping to rub some of the United gloom merchant's faces in it too.

blitz133w

If we allow a buy back clause then it will only be a short term replacement and maybe moyes will make some panic buys. Without a buy back clause I think he'll end up staying here longer than 5 years. We shouldn't sell our players unnecessarily. A short term solution is not always the right way.

Baxter

As previously mentioned in this thread Thiago has said that it isn't his dream to succeed at Barca, but rather to succeed in football. That would offer some more hope.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't realise he'd been at Barca since that young, for some reason. Looking him up, he did come from Flamengo's academy, but back in 2005, so he's been there since he was a kid pretty much.

Castia

If he does come here and leaves for Barcelona in a few years it will still be worth having him. Firstly it means he's been a success if they want him back and will be certain to get more than the fee we are going to pay. Id rather have a few seasons from a top player than non at all.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Thing is, if he is to return to Barca eventually, that would most likely signify that he's pretty fecking good at that point in time if they want him back. So you'd expect us to want a good amount of money for him then.

Of course its not good to sell your best players, but the silver lining of it is that we'd most likely made a very nice profit.

SteveJ

Scout
Christ he hasnt even signed yet and were worried about him heading back to Barthelona

I'm worried about the time when he goes back to Barca, retires and then comes out of retirement to play for us in a two-man midfield.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
feck, might as well not sign him if he's only going to stay with us for 8 years before fecking off. I cant stand these mercenary cnuts.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Christ he hasnt even signed yet and were worried about him heading back to Barthelona

I'm not too bothered, just something I think us United fans don't like accepting that other players don't see us as the pinnacle of their careers.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'd say the Thiago-meter has a taken a positive swing after Hunter's news.

The thread has also passed one million views. Impressive.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I wouldn't be surprised if one reason we are talking to Barcelona is because Thiago wants to try and leave on as good terms as possible. Yes, so he doesn't burn his bridges in case one day he wants a return, but also because he does feel an attachment to the club, and perhaps as if he still has something to prove.

That might sound like him trying to have his cake and eating it but this is a big decision for him. One of the the catalan TV commentators asked if he wanted "games or glory" and made it sound like he was chickening out of the challenge. Presumably the club are saying the same.

Unfortunately the Barca board can't be seen to give in too easily. Us enforcing the release clause is OK. If they let him go willingly, they need something, preferably a buyback clause. Something to say they tried to keep him, but shortterm goals and money won out.

I can see why that might give United's negotiators a problem. I do think we're still in the driving seat, but as I've always said, I don't think we're the only club that wants him.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Just think.....................................if Twitter and internet evolution were at the same stage that it is now back in 2007, the Xavi Hernandez thread would have looked very much like this.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
This is thread is definitely beating the Hazard thread; beating the Berbatov thread will be difficult. Deadline day drama :drool:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just think.....................................if Twitter and internet evolution were the same stage that it is now back in 2007, the Xavi Hernandez thread would have looked very much like this.
You mean 2000-02 right? Because in 2007 there was no realistic chance of us signing Xavi, we were after Senna and Hargreaves.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Just think.....................................if Twitter and internet evolution were the same stage that it is now back in 2007, the Xavi Hernandez thread would have looked very much like this.
RVN thread too.. first class muppetry lasting two summers.

LR7

Let's just hope Barca manage to make him seem like a total cnut for leaving like they seem to be trying to do, then the fans won't even want him back ;)
I reckon they're also trying to make it look, to their fans, like they've tried hard to keep him. I'm not suggesting they're shooing him out the door in reality, but the fact that every Spanish paper last month reported that they were willingly putting him up for sale, plus the whole not playing him at the end which could have kept the release clause up at 90m euros, makes me suspicious.

RonaldoVII

If we allow a buy back clause then it will only be a short term replacement and maybe moyes will make some panic buys. Without a buy back clause I think he'll end up staying here longer than 5 years. We shouldn't sell our players unnecessarily. A short term solution is not always the right way.
When people say they are after a buy back clause, it'll be a first refusal, they won't just be able to buy him back when they want.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I am tired of this now and the muppetry is starting to wear off. Let's hope we know his choice in a couple of days and be done with it

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When people say they are after a buy back clause, it'll be a first refusal, they won't just be able to buy him back when they want.

Barca did that with Bojan though, didn't they? Almost like a 2 year loan, and if he did well, then they get him back, and if not, then whatever. Barca just can't seem to let go.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

When a Spanish club talks about a buyback clause they mean a fixed price release fee. Real Madrid have just used one to take Carvajal back from Leverkusen. Obviously like the standard release clause idea, the player has to agree as well.

SteveJ

Scout
♫It's time to play the music,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time to sign Thiago
Before the muppets crash the site♫

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Barca did that with Bojan though, didn't they? Almost like a 2 year loan, and if he did well, then they get him back, and if not, then whatever. Barca just can't seem to let go.
They did it with Romeu as well. Can't see us agreeing to that and rightly so. If they want him back then they should be prepared to pay big

Crackers

greasy ginfers
♫It's time to play the music,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time to sign Thiago
Before the muppets crash the site♫

♫ We're going to have him here, fact
And most likely have the craic
So, when he signs the contract
We'll have a good long Whack"♫

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
You mean 2000-02 right? Because in 2007 there was no realistic chance of us signing Xavi, we were after Senna and Hargreaves.

2006 was when we were close to signing, wasn't it? He was out of favour but his love for Barca won out.

Status
Not open for further replies.