Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Why is there constant talk of us being after him? He just signed a new deal with Barca so it's not his agent. Is it going to be one of those eternal links like United-De Rossi/Huntelaar/etc that have no chance of happening? I would love for it to, mind, but I don't see it happening.

tintedsepia

Kagawa, Powell....

I'd luv it, just luv it if we signed Thiago Alcantara.

#justsayin'

Widnes

Why is there constant talk of us being after him? He just signed a new deal with Barca so it's not his agent. Is it going to be one of those eternal links like United-De Rossi/Huntelaar/etc that have no chance of happening? I would love for it to, mind, but I don't see it happening.
I don't see it happening but a new contract signed may have just been to put in a stupid release clause to make sure he doesn't go cheaply, Barca are crippled with debts so I suppose it is possible even if it is unlikely.

tintedsepia

He didn't 'just' sign a new contract. He signed it last year BEFORE Fabregas went there.

He gave up his shirt for Fabregas.

I agree this is fraught with difficulties (not least if the player wants to stay at Barcelona)

There are around 4 reasons we may be hopeful:-

1. Barcelona have lots of debts. They signed Fabregas for very little relatively and Fabregas had a LOT more experience than Thiago - so will be difficult for them to argue that Thiago is worth more than what they signed Fabregas for.

2. He is effectively their FIFTH choice midfielder. Behind Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas (who they signed with him still there).

3. Guardiola left. If Guardiola recommended him joining United knowing that United were eventually ultimately looking for Guardiola to take over from SAF this could be the case.

4. Thiago is now of the age where he needs to be dominating central midfield not just dribbling through players here and there. He had a few games last season but not in the key games.

I have no idea what he is thinking. I'm sure there are lots of difficulties and I'm not holding my breath over this signing - #justsayin' that if he were our third and last signing this summer I would call that a successful transfer window for us.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Would you describe him as a centre mid or does he play further forward?
Better question is to ask what position does he excel in the most because most midfielders in the cantera are not tied to a particular position

The answer, for me, is as a fantasista or perhaps false 9

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
If you look at his stats for last season then it looks like he is a more defensive minded midfielder. He is a very good passer and gets through a decent amount of defensive work. At the moment he does not carry a consistent goal threat, making only 1.2 key passes per game and only getting a goal or assist once every 4 games.

If he left Barca then you would expect his pass completion to drop at least a couple of % which would bring his passing stats in line with Carrick. It would be interesting to see a map of his passes per game to see what his range is like.

Statistically he already at least measures up to Carrick and at age 21 you have to feel that he will get better.

Varun

Staff
Its what they're called at the Cantera i suppose. Nothing wrong with it. Hard to understand the need but meh..

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They're used by FM fanboys who want to sound clever; in other words, they're used by clueless dickheads.
They're also used by people who live in Latin countries. We think trequartista's a stupid, flowery word but from what I gather from my Italian workmate, it's the only word they use for that position/role in the team. So no, it's not to sound clever, it's simply the word they use. Pirlo is a regista, it's not a fancy way to describe him, it's the best way to describe him (in their opinion). We have posters on here that are of Latin heritage or, as in this case, support teams from a Latin country so it's hardly surprising to see the words used. To simply call it a 'stupid name' is ignorant.

Trionz

Anyways, i haven't watched him play enough to pass a judgement; but i will pass one - 'don't think he should be used as false 9'.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They're used by FM fanboys who want to sound clever; in other words, they're used by clueless dickheads.
Fantasists isn't even on FM as far as I am aware. They are just words to describe specific roles in specific positions. If everyone was educated to them it would make debate on a footy forum a lot easier.

What's easier...

Pirlo is best played as a Regista.

Pirlo is best played deep in midfield just ahead of the defence where it is his role to cover space and dictate the play with his passing.

It'd make things easier if people weren't ignorant.

Brwned

Regista literally means the director, the organiser or the planner. It essentially means what we call a playmaker, so given there's already a term for it in the English language it is the kind of thing people say for no real reason other than to appear to be an 'educated viewer'. Oh how wonderful it would be if everyone was as well educated on the game as you are, Pexbo. Christ. And I suppose the same thing applies to fantasista, a fantasista is an artist, so someone who can add that bit of magic (or fantasy) to the game. That's all.

Things like trequatista are different, it's a role on the pitch that is recognised in English football but we don't have a term for it. It's just general terms like attacking midfielder or second striker. Or quarto zagueiro, the term Brazilians have used for decades for the centre back who builds the attacks from the back. We could just call him a ball-playing centre back but it's more than that, you watch Hummels at Dortmund and he's the one who dictates their attacking play. I think words like that have their uses. I don't think all of the words should simply be dismissed as pointless, flowery words.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Or you could just call him a ball playing DM.
Yep... Or even simpler, a DM.
It's more than just that though, it specifically defines the position, role and responsibilities of a player in a 7 letter word.

Scholes is a Regista, would you describe him as a ball playing defensive midfielder? I know I wouldn't. The defensive side of the Regista isn't what makes the role, it's the dictation of play from a deeper position. It's a pass masters role as he has the positional sense to play from deep with the range of passing also needed to play from there.

If I said Regista and someone who knows the role will know what I am talking about if I said Scholes can play there. If I said "Scholes is our defensive midfielder" you'd call me mental.

Regista literally means the director, the organiser or the planner. It essentially means what we call a playmaker, so given there's already a term for it in the English language it is the kind of thing people say for no real reason other than to appear to be an 'educated viewer'. Oh how wonderful it would be if everyone was as well educated on the game as you are, Pexbo. Christ. And I suppose the same thing applies to fantasista, a fantasista is an artist, so someone who can add that bit of magic (or fantasy) to the game. That's all.

Things like trequatista are different, it's a role on the pitch that is recognised in English football but we don't have a term for it. It's just general terms like attacking midfielder or second striker. I think words like that have their uses. I don't think all of the words should simply be dismissed as pointless, flowery words.
Quit the patronising, I said people should be educated to those words, nothing wrong with that. I still believe they should be as we're on a Football forum that claims to be a bit brighter than the others then why shouldn't we use advanced vocabulary on the subject?

As I said above, the "Regista" is a role that has become defined by the players who have played there before. It's a playmaker from deep. A playmaker can be played anywhere so no, that word does not suffice. Beckham was our playmaker from the right wing in the Ruud era, was he a Regista?

Trequartista = Number 10, often mistaken for a striker but has much more of a creative responsibility than a striker and statistically is expected to get fewer goals than a striker but to make up for that with assists. A very advanced playmaker.

Fantasista = Zidane defined this role, deeper than a Trequartista, a true attacking midfielder who dictates play in the middle and final third with pure technique.

Regista = The deepest of the playmaker role, from the first and middle third they control and dictate the game using positional and passing ability, it's a master of the craft role that is usually played by a player coming out of his physical peak who is able to call on his vast experience to keep ahead of the play.

So no, playmaker does not adequetly cover them all without an explanation after it and neither does "Defensive Midfielder" or "Attacking Midfielder".

To bring this back to where it's started, now it's been explained what a Fantasista is and people hopefully understand it, they will see why it's a good word to explain Thiago as it sums him up excellently. If you prefer it the long winded: "Attacking midfielder who is excellent on the ball, with great technical ability; A good passer and excellent dribbler with an eye for goal and a creative spark".

I prefer Fantasista, it's short, roles off the tongue and has a historical element to it as it makes me think of players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Platini.

Brwned

Yeah, I've read Zonal-Marking before too. Thanks. Rivera was and still is described as a regista and I can guarantee you he didn't play deep like Pirlo. And he's possibly the greatest Italian midfielder to play the game, so who better to define the role? A fantasista's just a fancy word for a flair player, in our language and the Italian language.

Spoony

The People's President
Crapista - a player who dictates terms by being absolutely useless at football. These players rely on running around like headless chickens, and hacking down the nearest player...regardless what team they're on....eg Parker or Savage. The role was coined by the best crapista of them all... Dennis Wise.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yeah, I've read Zonal-Marking before too. Thanks. Rivera was and still is described as a regista and I can guarantee you he didn't play deep like Pirlo. And he's possibly the greatest Italian midfielder to play the game, so who better to define the role? A fantasista's just a fancy word for a flair player, in our language and the Italian language.
The words have been bastardised in translation and adopted into the English language to mean something different to the literal translation. I'm not just talking of myself, a handful on here and Zonal Marking, on other forums, some brilliant bloggers and various other english written media sources all use the terms to mean exactly what I have stated above. They're being more and more universally used, it's just because a few are unfamiliar with them on here that a fuss is being kicked up because it's seen as flutey and gay to use them when in reality they are used for simplification rather than effervescence.

ciderman9000000

Fantasists isn't even on FM as far as I am aware. They are just words to describe specific roles in specific positions. If everyone was educated to them it would make debate on a footy forum a lot easier.

What's easier...

Pirlo is best played as a Regista.

Pirlo is best played deep in midfield just ahead of the defence where it is his role to cover space and dictate the play with his passing.

It'd make things easier if people weren't ignorant.
Give it a rest, you tit. You think you're more educated about football because you know some Italian terms used in FM? feck you.

Baxter

Regista isn't on FM.

Edit: to avoid being called a tit, I hadn't heard of the term. I'm just saying it isn't on FM.

Brwned

The words have been bastardised in translation and adopted into the English language to mean something different to the literal translation.

Rivera. Regista. Nothing to do with the translation. A regista isn't a position or a role, nor is a fantasista. It's the description of a player's personality more than anything. It doesn't matter that Rivera played higher up the pitch, he was still the one who orchestrated the play and that's what a regista is. It just so happens that the most common position a regista plays in is as a deep-lying midfielder. A fantasista can play in a deeper role just like a regista can play an advanced role, it describes how they play the game not where they play.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Give it a rest, you tit. You think you're more educated about football because you know some Italian terms used in FM? feck you.
No, I don't think I am more educated about football than everyone on here. A lot, yes, but thats because a lot of people on here are idiots. You included.

I think I'm more educated because I spend a good 2 or 3 hours a day reading about football on various websites and listening to various podcasts as well as watching a good 3 or 4 matches a week rather than spending my time getting into ridiculous arguments about "formations" and whether Ronaldo is better than Messi.

It's you who thinks using an Italian word is a big deal, I just think it's the easiest word to describe something. Well I did before people on here started crying about it and made me explain why I use it.

ciderman9000000

No, I don't think I am more educated about football than everyone on here. A lot, yes, but thats because a lot of people on here are idiots. You included.

I think I'm more educated because I spend a good 2 or 3 hours a day reading about football on various websites and listening to various podcasts as well as watching a good 3 or 4 matches a week rather than spending my time getting into ridiculous arguments about "formations" and whether Ronaldo is better than Messi.

It's you who thinks using an Italian word is a big deal, I just think it's the easiest word to describe something. Well I did before people on here started crying about it and made me explain why I use it.
:lol: Pleb.

Not sure what you're referring to with the Ronaldo better than Messi shit; I don't think I've ever made one comment on which player is the best, though it's obviously Ronaldo.

I'm always right

:lol: Geek alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.