Thierry Henry

lawliet354

Yeah then he scores a hat-trick against Inter. Takes the ball at the Bernabau at half way line and scores.

I always maintained that Ruud was a better player but in retrospect it's fecking daft to think that.
Well we United fans of course had biased opinion at that time, it's normal, even when Di Maria first came here many people said he is better than Sanchez

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ruud was probably more clinical in the box. Let's not forget just how good a goalscorer he was during his career.
Yeah, Ruud was fecking brilliant. I love Ruud but realistically I'd have Henry over him. Sad to admit this.

Paxi

I remember saying Henry is as good as Ronaldo/Suarez in the PL here than someone it's not even close and said Henry looks great in the PL because he played in the weakest PL era and he never performs for the national team :)
I don't think so. Didn't France win Euro 2000? I seem to recall Alan Hansen calling Henry nothing but a speed merchant.

Paxi

Shearer was phenomenal and you probably saw him more in the PL than I did (you old bastard), but I just think Henry had it all. He could play up top, out wide, take set pieces, beat a man and score any type of goal he wanted to. Man had it all.
Well put. Consise. The man had it all.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Terrorising Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini...
Henry was very hungry and at his best in terms of pace

Why would I lie? Met him on the side of the oitch before the game. We were being shown round the stadium.
Told him even though I support United, I grew up admiring him. Had a laugh and told me to enjoy the game.
Don't think he did
I thought it was a joke. I like the man, a passionate guy. Great day for you :)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Shearer was phenomenal and you probably saw him more in the PL than I did (you old bastard), but I just think Henry had it all. He could play up top, out wide, take set pieces, beat a man and score any type of goal he wanted to. Man had it all.
Shearer before his injury was the same tbf. Blackburn Shearer, saying that Henry just had a little more swagger about him

lawliet354

I don't think so. Didn't France win Euro 2000? I seem to recall Alan Hansen calling Henry nothing but a speed merchant.
Pardon, seems like my post is not complete

yeah Henry played in WC 98 and Euro won, I don't remember much but I think Henry played pretty well in t98, don't remember the euro though

Paxi

Pardon, seems like my post is not complete

yeah Henry played in WC 98 and Euro won, I don't remember much but I think Henry played pretty well in t98, don't remember the euro though
From Euro 2000 I don't thing English pundits rated him. In any case Anelka was much higher rated than Henry at that time.

Guy Incognito

He is a bit like Arsenal personified. Very wasteful at times (especially early on in his career), but when he was in the mood he was unplayable.

Paxi

Shearer before his injury was the same tbf. Blackburn Shearer, saying that Henry just had a little more swagger about him
I've seen Shearer (circa 2002) no way he way as good a player as Henry in my opinion. He must have been something different all together for Blackburn and Southampton to reach Henry levels.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I always maintained that Ruud was a better player but in retrospect it's fecking daft to think that.
It was fairly even for the first few seasons. Henry probably slightly ahead, but it was close.

After Ruud's injury he noticeably dropped a level or two, so Henry easily had him beat after that. Ultimately Henry had seven or so seasons at the very top, wheras Ruud only had three.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Remember the famous leg touch??:lol: Him and Carra makes better duet than Neville nowadays
:lol:
Didn't he do something similar when they had breaking news that a manager had been sacked? Or am I thinking of someone else. Might even have been Carragher himself.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've seen Shearer (circa 2002) no way he way as good a player as Henry in my opinion. He must have been something different all together for Blackburn and Southampton to reach Henry levels.
Yes very different at Blackburn, I wouldn't say necessarily say Henry levels though, but he was a totally different player around 94-96 era. He basically had it all then. 2002 he was more of a standard no9

WhoDaGOAT

He's pretty useless as a pundit and is a cheating cnut with zero Maradona swag, but undoubtedly the best player I've ever seen grace The PL. Ronaldo's peak wasn't at United.

BenjaminP

Yeah, Ruud was fecking brilliant. I love Ruud but realistically I'd have Henry over him. Sad to admit this.
I would rate Ruud and Henry equal.
Ruud was the best natural finisher in history of PL. Henry was more well rounded player.

Ruud was the reason I got into football, and became Man Utd fan.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
https://www.myvideo.ge/v/1578942

Taken down from youtube, it's quite an amazing video.
Great vid, mainly because it doesn't have replays which means you can watch the next goal immediately. That's so much better than putting in a few replays. There's a vid like that for Henke Larsson on YouTube, I watched it till the end because it was really enjoyable watching goals following eachother in quick pace without replays.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Great vid, mainly because it doesn't have replays which means you can watch the next goal immediately. That's so much better than putting in a few replays. There's a vid like that for Henke Larsson on YouTube, I watched it till the end because it was really enjoyable watching goals following eachother in quick pace without replays.
Also inoffensive music :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Great video I'm currently watching.

Pires was maybe the #1 provider of assists for him.

Football misses also these kind of players

No replays and focus on the last moments before the goal.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Best striker in the PL for me. Seems like a nice guy too.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
How was Henry in 04/05, 05/06 and 06/07 by the way?
With Arsenal

04/05: 30 goals - 42 games
05/06: 33 goals - 45 games - close to win the Champions League with Arsenal - excellent shape IIRC
06/07: injured 6 months

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
With Arsenal

04/05: 30 goals - 42 games
05/06: 33 goals - 45 games - close to win the Champions League with Arsenal - excellent shape IIRC
06/07: injured 6 months
Cheers for the info.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cheers for the info.
World-cup runner-up with France in 2006 :(

Barcelona: deployed as left-winger because Eto'o was the CF
2007/08 Good season: 19 goals in 47 games
2008/09 Excellent season: he win the champions league, 26 goals all competitions in 42 games
2009/10: The beginning of the end; 4 goals in 38 games

USA between 2010 and 2014

lsd

The Oracle
Cheating cvnt and the worst pundit on TV by a mile.

However far and away the best player in the history of the premiership.

I do remember the Ruud vs Henry debates and how so many utd fans were adamant Ruud was better which as good a striker as Ruud was is still one of the most laughable things iv encountered .

Trizy

I like him even more now adays. Just for the simple fact that he is such an United fan.. he doesn't even try hide it :lol:.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I like him even more now adays. Just for the simple fact that he is such an United fan.. he doesn't even try hide it :lol:.
I've read he did want to be the assistant of Wenger but the latter doesn't want! Wenger doesn't want to lose his job :lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Cheating cvnt and the worst pundit on TV by a mile.

However far and away the best player in the history of the premiership.

I do remember the Ruud vs Henry debates and how so many utd fans were adamant Ruud was better which as good a striker as Ruud was is still one of the most laughable things iv encountered .
Thats very very harsh.

Litch

Just reminds me how awesome we were when I think we went toe to toe with that Arsenal team with him in it. Can't imagine how much he'd be worth in today's money....

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
First and foremost, wasn't he fecking good? I mean I just remember him being Mr.Arsenal.

Seriously though I used to believe that Ruud was a better player. :lol:

Secondly, as a pundit, he started off quite terribly but now I think he's actually quite good.

Thirdly, he's quite clearly a United fan.
I'd guess it's a bit like Gary Neville in the opposite direction in that Arsenal-Manchester United was the great rivalry of their playing days. That sweet enemy etc.

There was a bit of trouble between him and Arsenal because they said said he couldn't both work with the team and commentate (it was the right decision, unfortunately) but he and Wenger had a good relationship at least until then. I think they still do.

lsd

The Oracle
Thats very very harsh.
I can think of nothing he offers as a pundit and especially as I'm pretty sure he is the highest paid one .You have him sitting most weeks between Souness and Carragher who do call things as they see it .Then he comes in with the blandest rubbish you can imagine.

MiceOnMeth

I think players had similar peaks to Henry (ronaldo 07/08, Suarez 13/14) but Henry did it for so many years which makes him the standout. He has become a very good pundit too I enjoy his analysis. Whoever calls him the worst on TV or whatever is just a salty Irish person :lol:

hn4manunited

Thanks for posting this. Wow...that was a great watch. I remembered most of those goals.

While I hated his accomplishments when he was with Arsenal, I am amazed at his abilities.

Glides past opponents, changing directions at will, finishing so quickly and so precisely while making it look so effortless! Undoubtably one of the greatest strikers we've seen in the PL.

Watching Henry reminded me how Martial plays, moves, and finishes a lot like Henry. His goal celebration, the way he jogs away with his shoulders slightly shrugged looks exactly like Henry.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Thanks for posting this. Wow...that was a great watch. I remembered most of those goals.

While I hated his accomplishments when he was with Arsenal, I am amazed at his abilities.

Glides past opponents, changing directions at will, finishing so quickly and so precisely while making it look so effortless! Undoubtably one of the greatest strikers we've seen in the PL.

Watching Henry reminded me how Martial plays, moves, and finishes a lot like Henry. His goal celebration, the way he jogs away with his shoulders slightly shrugged looks exactly like Henry.
There are 2-3 goals in there, where he takes a subtle first touch from a through ball that takes out his marker, another touch to set himself, and then a composed finish far corner, from the inside-left channel. Very much like Martial's 1st goal this season (and a few in the LvG season).