Things that actually happened in football

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Years ago went to when an international friendly in NZ between NZ and Chile. Some fan during the course of the game was somehow able to get on to the pitch without anyone noticing and left a car door on the pitch. There isnt any footage of him doing it just the weird scene of officials removing the car door. No one knows how he got it past security into the ground or why he did it. One of the weirdest and funniest things I had ever seen.
"In a 2002 World Cup warmup match between New Zealand and Chile in Auckland, a fan ran onto the pitch with about ten minutes remaining. But this fan had a bizarre object in his hands; a car door. At the end of the match, the announcer of the match said to the Chilean fans not to storm the pitch, and followed that up with "do not to bring car parts on to the pitch."

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No way. Serious?
Yep. They have a very aggressive ad strategy though - they also used Petr Pavlensky's actions as an inspiration to their new burgers. And while there were no chance that Zenit would've accepted this deal (they have Gazprom as their general sponsor ffs), it generated lots of media attention

P.S.
Customers will apparently soon be able to choose between a burger wrapped in “edible barbed wire”, one burnt on one side, and one partly sewn shut. The infamous Red Square “pain performance” will be marked with an egg nailed to a burger with a plastic spear.

Momochiru

Buildup[edit]
Honduras and El Salvador met in a 1970 FIFA World Cup qualifier. There was fighting between fans at the first game in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa on 8 June 1969, which Honduras won 1–0. The second game, on 15 June 1969 in the Salvadoran capital of San Salvador, which was won 3–0 by El Salvador, was followed by even greater violence.[5] A play-off match took place in Mexico City on 26 June 1969. El Salvador won the decisive third game 3–2 after extra time. That same day, El Salvador dissolved all diplomatic ties with Honduras, stating that "the government of Honduras has not taken any effective measures to punish these crimes which constitute genocide, nor has it given assurances of indemnification or reparations for the damages caused to Salvadorans".[6]

War[edit]
Late in the afternoon of 14 July 1969, concerted military action began. San Salvador City was put on a black out and the Salvadoran Air Force, using passenger airplanes with explosives strapped to their sides as bombers, attacked targets inside Honduras. Salvadoran air-raid targets included Toncontín International Airport, which left the Honduran Air Force unable to react quickly. The larger Salvadoran Army launched major offensives along the two main roads connecting the two nations and invaded Honduras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm still confused as to what Pires was trying to do here when all it needed was a forward pass.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"When [Darío] Conca signed for Guangzhou Evergrande in 2011, he was made the third-highest paid player in the world, behind onlyReal Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi."

Not sure what he's paid now but it's crazy to think he was one of the highest paid players in the world despite being virtually unknown to most football fans and so average.

According to this Hulk is the third highest paid player in the world on £320k and Pelle is on £290k :houllier:
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/footballers-with-highest-salary/

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Only in Colombia.

Football Player Who Kicked Owl Receives Death Threats

A professional football player who fatally Kicked an owl that landed on the pitch during a game in Colombia has received death threats over the incident.

Luis Moreno, a defender for Deportivo Pereira, kicked the bird – which was the mascot of the opposition team Junior Barranquilla – after it had already been hit and injured by the ball. Speaking to television reporters, the Panamanian player said he had received several death threats over the telephone since Sunday's game. "This is very hard for me and for my family in Panama who are afraid because of this," Moreno added.

His mother has also made a tearful appearance on national television in Colombia to ask for forgiveness of her son. "I am very worried," said Alicia Moreno. "I know my son did that, but not with the intention to kill the animal."

Moreno, 29, was confronted by Barranquilla players after the incident and booed by their fans who also taunted him with chants of 'murderer'. He was given a police guard as he left the ground. Moreno later apologised and claimed that he had kicked the owl "to see if it could fly". But the owl later died and judicial authorities announced that they are considering pressing charges against the player.

Under Colombia's animal protection laws he could be fined and jailed for up to three months.

stubie

What's the story about that third goal?
The goalkeeper (Dave Beasant) attempted to kick the ball out of play while the injured player (Lee Naylor) got treatment but Michael Branch intercepted the ball and went on to score. Forest demanded a goal but Wolves refused. That first half almost got the game abandoned as Police went into both dressing rooms at half time.

Lemti

The goalkeeper (Dave Beasant) attempted to kick the ball out of play while the injured player (Lee Naylor) got treatment but Michael Branch intercepted the ball and went on to score. Forest demanded a goal but Wolves refused. That first half almost got the game abandoned as Police went into both dressing rooms at half time.
Thx, what a cnutish ting to do

Bwuk

Chris Martin missing a sitter and falling over his own feet, so the ref proceeds to send the Malta defender off and give Scotland a penalty.

Thought initially he was just sending Martin off for being an absolute donkey.

kotler

'I told Drogba where to stick it'

Kuwaiti prince orders his national side to forfeit a game in protest of an "unjust" goal in WC '82. The grievance was that a supporter in the stand simulated a whistle the Kuwaiti's mistook as the refs. The referee disallowed the goal.

On a sad unrelated note, the prince was the only member of the Kuwaiti royal family to get killed in the Iraqi invasion eight years later.

kotler

'I told Drogba where to stick it'
When I was a kid every sports news segment had to have Martin Palermo bagging tons of goals for Boca.

I was psyched when I got to see him for a full 90 minute game in Copa America and this happened:

pacifictheme

I know it was just a pre-season game and LvG selected him as captain because he was going to play for the full 90 minutes but still, Tom Cleverley captained Manchester United.

First choice in a title winning team. Not many of our current squad can point to an achievement like that.

pacifictheme

Only in Colombia.

A professional football player who fatally Kicked an owl that landed on the pitch during a game in Colombia has received death threats over the incident.

Luis Moreno, a defender for Deportivo Pereira, kicked the bird – which was the mascot of the opposition team Junior Barranquilla – after it had already been hit and injured by the ball. Speaking to television reporters, the Panamanian player said he had received several death threats over the telephone since Sunday's game. "This is very hard for me and for my family in Panama who are afraid because of this," Moreno added.

His mother has also made a tearful appearance on national television in Colombia to ask for forgiveness of her son. "I am very worried," said Alicia Moreno. "I know my son did that, but not with the intention to kill the animal."

Moreno, 29, was confronted by Barranquilla players after the incident and booed by their fans who also taunted him with chants of 'murderer'. He was given a police guard as he left the ground. Moreno later apologised and claimed that he had kicked the owl "to see if it could fly". But the owl later died and judicial authorities announced that they are considering pressing charges against the player.

Under Colombia's animal protection laws he could be fined and jailed for up to three months.

What an absolute cnut. Deserved death threats for that.

Keegs

Only in Colombia.

Disgusting would have lifted him in the match for doing that deserved the abuse he got.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Once again, from the "Only in Colombia" files . . .

A young soccer fanatic was gunned down on the eve of a big match as he played football in a park. But his friends decided not to let a simple thing like murder get in the way of his plans and took him to 'watch' his favourite team anyway. They collected the coffin containing the body of 17-year-old Christopher Jacome from the funeral home and marched it into the General Santander stadium in Cucuta, Colombia, to join the 42,000-strong crowd ahead of their match with Envigado.

Police are baffled as to how the coffin got through security at the ground and was allowed to be held aloft and passed around in the stands. Stadium officials are to hold an investigation into how the dead body was allowed into the ground. Strangely, the body's arrival at the ground seemed to inspire his side, who were trailing 1-0 but manage to draw the game 1-1.

'This is the only part of the world where this can happen,' Cucuta medic Julio Rivera told Colombia Reports. 'They don't let in the fanatics, but yes, a cadaver.'

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Wenger goes from celebration to disappointment to being up in the stands at the end of a match at Old Trafford (SIAP)...