This black woman’s anti-Muslim rant shows how deep British racism goes.

RedTiger

Half mast
I've witnessed Muslims go up to white people and claim that England is a Muslim country now and they aren't welcome, I've seen white peoples get beaten up by ethics because they are in the wrong area plus much much more. It happens all the time.
Out if curiosity, how old were these muslims that you saw who said England is a Muslim country? Also the last part where you witnessed white people being beaten up... Did you call the police or step in yourself?

Drifter

American
I've witnessed Muslims go up to white people and claim that England is a Muslim country now and they aren't welcome, I've seen white peoples get beaten up by ethics because they are in the wrong area plus much much more. It happens all the time.
No you never.You made it up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I know who I'd rather have in the same country as me and it's not the horrible cnut.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
White people are the least racist of all the racists in my experience.

The big difference being that white racists tend to have a lot more influence and control than any other type of racists.

As an example, a lot of my Polish colleagues were telling my how bad it was that the Romanians were coming when the EU limits expired...

Getsme

Out if curiosity, how old were these muslims that you saw who said England is a Muslim country? Also the last part where you witnessed white people being beaten up... Did you call the police or step in yourself?
Mixed, I've witnessed it several times. As for the fight, I called the Police, I was doing the CCTV.
No you never.You made it up.
Wise up will ya :lol:

Getsme

Fair play for not standing by and doing nothing (even though it was your job). It is true though that prejudice is not restricted to any one ethnicity.
It is, I'm in no way saying that white people are affected by it more, I don't think anyone would argue against that. However, certain places in England are very multi cultural and racism happens to every colour.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
After moving from the Westcountry, where everyone is white and generally slightly scared of everyone who isn't white, to an area of London where white British people are in the minority - I quickly learnt that everyone is fecking racist. Weirdly as a white guy they all seem to open up to me about it. Black people tell me what horrible people Indians are, Indians talk degradingly about Africans to me with the assumption that I agree, Jamaicans and Africans explain to me that they don't like each other in a tone that implies I wouldn't really understand, and 2nd/3rd generation immigrants of all kinds moan tome about their family or acquaintances who have more recently arrived or still live abroad. Being a white middle class country boy, who is perhaps no longer scared of non - whites but definitely too scared to discuss racism with anyone who isn't also white and middle class, I end up listening politely and throwing in the odd "ah yeah" before awkwardly trying to change the subject. Later of course I describe these encounters to my white middle class friends in great detail, and we make lots of ironic racist jokes that can't be repeated on the interwebs because the irony doesn't come across in text.

RedTiger

Half mast
After moving from the Westcountry, where everyone is white and generally slightly scared of everyone who isn't white, to an area of London where white British people are in the minority - I quickly learnt that everyone is fecking racist. Weirdly as a white guy they all seem to open up to me about it. Black people tell me what horrible people Indians are, Indians talk degradingly about Africans to me with the assumption that I agree, Jamaicans and Africans explain to me that they don't like each other in a tone that implies I wouldn't really understand, and 2nd/3rd generation immigrants of all kinds moan tome about their family or acquaintances who have more recently arrived or still live abroad. Being a white middle class country boy, who is perhaps no longer scared of non - whites but definitely too scared to discuss racism with anyone who isn't also white and middle class, I end up listening politely and throwing in the odd "ah yeah" before awkwardly trying to change the subject. Later of course I describe these encounters to my white middle class friends in great detail, and we make lots of ironic racist jokes that can't be repeated on the interwebs because the irony doesn't come across in text.
Come on lets hear ay least one of these ironoc jokes;)

Jagga7

I unfortunately am born and bread in one of these area's. My town is heavily dominated with Punjabi's and Pakistani's and there used to be a ridiculous amount of hate and racism between the two groups even though culturally we are very similar.

RedTiger

Half mast
I unfortunately am born and bread in one of these area's. My town is heavily dominated with Punjabi's and Pakistani's and there used to be a ridiculous amount of hate and racism between the two groups even though culturally we are very similar.
Are you Punjabi? I remember as a kid, a sikh boy told me they keep their long so they can wash it in the blood of muslims:lol: probably just hyperbole though.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
It's pretty obvious what it means. The native people of the UK are white and people of her colour are likely to get the exact same abuse from racists like herself
Not sure what you're getting at really, racism exists between all colours, for example my friend's indian family disowned him for going out with a white girl and they refused to speak to him. He said it could be worse, she could be black. Several years later he's now unhappily in an arranged marriage.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
In my experience blacks, whites, asians and Indians are all equally races, I see it everyday. Denying that one or the other groups are more races than the other, that's ignorant.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Makes no sense.
Well it does at least a little bit. If you are black I suspect that you will either have been on the end of or at least aware of incidents of black people being told to "go home" despite already being at home. To then use the same racist rhetoric yourself aimed at another identifiable group does contain a certain irony.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Well it does at least a little bit. If you are black I suspect that you will either have been on the end of or at least aware of incidents of black people being told to "go home" despite already being at home. To then use the same racist rhetoric yourself aimed at another identifiable group does contain a certain irony.
It makes certain presumptions that may have no basis in fact. For the point to be relevant the writer would have to comprehend the full context of this woman's life. Maybe she herself has never been on the end of such incidents. Even if she had, it still isn't particularly relevant that she's black. It's implicit racism.

mu77

Personally I've always believed that black people were inherently incapable of racism so this has come as a real shock to me. I was okay with normal white person racism but this is just too much. For shame Britain.

that sounds very funny , those two lines would make the start of a good comedy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It makes certain presumptions that may have no basis in fact. For the point to be relevant the writer would have to comprehend the full context of this woman's life. Maybe she herself has never been on the end of such incidents. Even if she had, it still isn't particularly relevant that she's black. It's implicit racism.
I didn't say it was particularly relevant to the racist rant and I doubt I'd have mentioned it as in my experience a huge range of people can be and are wildly racist. But there is a bit of irony and it isn't racist, implicit or otherwise, to mention it. Not on its own. I seriously doubt there is a single black person in the UK (or probably anyone of any ethnicity for that matter) who is not aware of "go back home" (presumably Africa) being used to insult black people no matter where they were born. Nobody in this thread seems to have any trouble with the concept. So someone of an ethnicity that is and has been traditionally the target for the same abuse that they are now handing out to someone of another race/ethnicity is ironic. I don't see how you can deny it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Not sure what you're getting at really, racism exists between all colours, for example my friend's indian family disowned him for going out with a white girl and they refused to speak to him. He said it could be worse, she could be black. Several years later he's now unhappily in an arranged marriage.
You completely missed my point if you think I was saying white people are more racist :lol:

I was talking about her using the insult 'go back home' when she is black in a native white country and that it's just really dumb and ironic for her to say that because that's the sort of thing black people will also get a lot (as they are ancestrally not from the UK like the Asians she is telling to go home)

Maxii

Paad
Seen this on the Daily Mail today and seeing that all of the top comments were justifying what this Cnut was saying because "immigrants" just makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry because of the absolute stupidity of it. They weren't just top comments, they had a green thumb percentage of about 90%.

I know it's the daily mail, and the vast majority of people who comment are thick as feck, but it still blows my mind how many racists there are out there.

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
Back in the early 70s I was at high school (North of Manchester) and living with my Grandmother. She was a the typical racist Granny, she said she didn't hate black people or Asians but she used to say black people weren't like us, the brain acts different and wouldn't let me play with them because I might catch something. The thing is, like I say, there was no real hate, she really believed this. The only thing I remember her saying with venom was when her best friends brother married an Indian lady, she said he shouldn't because she was dirty! This is what I grew up with at home.

At school there were all races present even then. Again, I really didn't come across much true hate, but at that time racist language was the norm. You labelled each ethnic group with the terms that are unacceptable today.

By the time I left school and started work in the late 70s my Gran had passed on and I was living with my "Auntie", my Grans best friend with the Indian brother in-law. Though she may have used some of the racist terms for identifying a ethnic group, I feel in no way was she a true racist. I had black West Indian and Asian Indian friends who were welcome in our house, we'd go to the pubs etc, and yeah, some racist terms by todays measure, but no hatred.

At that time, my best mate was mixed race Indian / White Irish and one of my first girl friends was his sister. (If Gran had been alive she would have had a heart attack.)

Now, this brings me to my main point. Yes, there was a lot of casual racist terms but I hadn't encountered real hate. That was until I was out and about with my best Mate. Any time he encountered a Muslim / Pakistani, he just went off on one. I mean real hate and that wasn't from his Mums Irish side, it was from his Dads Indian. He told me the hate went both ways and will never heal. I know it's not race, but religion and cultural that caused it, but I was shocked and it's stayed with me to this day. As a result I've never understood the claim that minorities are not racist, just white people.

Apart from that, WAS the 70s more racist than the present day? From my point of view there were many more racist terms used in everyday language but far less hate. I also believe the PC brigade spend to much effort vilifying someone for a racist comment that might have been a stupid slip of the tongue or said in very poor taste, when the real problem should be trying to bring people together.

ghagua

Cannot change racist peoples views by ignoring their abuse and walking away, learnt that the hard way. Only way to deal with people like her is to give her a good beating, so next time she will think twice about ranting in public like that. Anyone who has suffered like that will understand. There was barely any Islamophobia back in the 80's when growing up in England, but being South Asian presented a whole lot of problems. Suffered the first 2 years in high school from racist abuse on a constant basis to the point when i did not even want to go to school anymore, but then decided to fight back. Handed out some severe beatings to a couple of people and spent the next few years in school without a single problem.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Back in the early 70s I was at high school (North of Manchester) and living with my Grandmother. She was a the typical racist Granny, she said she didn't hate black people or Asians but she used to say black people weren't like us, the brain acts different and wouldn't let me play with them because I might catch something. The thing is, like I say, there was no real hate, she really believed this. The only thing I remember her saying with venom was when her best friends brother married an Indian lady, she said he shouldn't because she was dirty! This is what I grew up with at home.

At school there were all races present even then. Again, I really didn't come across much true hate, but at that time racist language was the norm. You labelled each ethnic group with the terms that are unacceptable today.

By the time I left school and started work in the late 70s my Gran had passed on and I was living with my "Auntie", my Grans best friend with the Indian brother in-law. Though she may have used some of the racist terms for identifying a ethnic group, I feel in no way was she a true racist. I had black West Indian and Asian Indian friends who were welcome in our house, we'd go to the pubs etc, and yeah, some racist terms by todays measure, but no hatred.

At that time, my best mate was mixed race Indian / White Irish and one of my first girl friends was his sister. (If Gran had been alive she would have had a heart attack.)

Now, this brings me to my main point. Yes, there was a lot of casual racist terms but I hadn't encountered real hate. That was until I was out and about with my best Mate. Any time he encountered a Muslim / Pakistani, he just went off on one. I mean real hate and that wasn't from his Mums Irish side, it was from his Dads Indian. He told me the hate went both ways and will never heal. I know it's not race, but religion and cultural that caused it, but I was shocked and it's stayed with me to this day. As a result I've never understood the claim that minorities are not racist, just white people.

Apart from that, WAS the 70s more racist than the present day? From my point of view there were many more racist terms used in everyday language but far less hate. I also believe the PC brigade spend to much effort vilifying someone for a racist comment that might have been a stupid slip of the tongue or said in very poor taste, when the real problem should be trying to bring people together.
Not that I disagree that the racist language that was used in the 70's didn't equate to race hatred I also think that it can and does help to reinforce and entrench racial stereotypes that in turn feed into, reinforce and help make acceptable racism and race hate. So being rid of it would be a very very good thing indeed and advances have been made.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cannot change racist peoples views by ignoring their abuse and walking away, learnt that the hard way. Only way to deal with people like her is to give her a good beating, so next time she will think twice about ranting in public like that. Anyone who has suffered like that will understand. There was barely any Islamophobia back in the 80's when growing up in England, but being South Asian presented a whole lot of problems. Suffered the first 2 years in high school from racist abuse on a constant basis to the point when i did not even want to go to school anymore, but then decided to fight back. Handed out some severe beatings to a couple of people and spent the next few years in school without a single problem.
Hmmm. Not sure that violence is the solution to racism. Just a gut feeling mind.

Blatzo

A few years ago I did a content analysis of stories in the national press that found that stories that centred on white people were 3:1 positive to negative. Stories featuring Asians were 3:1 negative to positive (we didn’t break it down by religion, but the Asian negative stories were overwhelmingly focused on Muslim terror). In other words, if you’re Asian you’re nine times more likely to be portrayed negatively than if you’re white.
Nope.

Just nope.

What a horrible article.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think people confuse racism with multiculturalism weariness. I don´t think that black woman thinks herself racially superior to the person who attacked .
I have no statistics but I imagine that the number of foreigners and people with different religion has grown exponentially in the last decade. His reaction is caused by what she sees in the press, the climate of anxiety about terrorism with many international news focused on the Middle East. I wonder what would be the social reaction in India,China or islamic countries if in some years the 10% of the population had a different religion or race. Surely their reaction would be fear of change and suspicion.
In many European countries ( with very high educational levels ) there has been a rise of extreme right parties , so maybe there is a real weariness, because the annual immigration levels are higher than those recommended for the assimilation by the local population.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Genuinely disgusting headline.

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
Not that I disagree that the racist language that was used in the 70's didn't equate to race hatred I also think that it can and does help to reinforce and entrench racial stereotypes that in turn feed into, reinforce and help make acceptable racism and race hate. So being rid of it would be a very very good thing indeed and advances have been made.
I understand what you are saying. There were quite a lot of terms I used then that I wouldn't dream of using today. There are still terms though that I use innocently, that then I find out are actually classed as racist. An example is I found out watching "Corrie" that the saying "Play the white man" is offensive. I must be a bit thick, but until I saw it in context, I didn't equate it to being racist.

I tried to make three points in my previous post. One being that sometime people use racist terms, not knowing it's racist and the another being you don't have to be white to be a racist and lastly that the way to stop racism and hatred is to bring people together. And I will say this, it's not just the White people who need to try, it takes commitment from both communities and the thing is once you open yourself up you actually find you have more not less in common than you might think.

I also would like to point out that my experiences of racism in the 70s, are from my own experience as a white person. If I have trivialized the effect of any serious racial hatred that anyone might hate suffered, I apologise, it wasn't my intention.

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
You completely missed my point if you think I was saying white people are more racist :lol:

I was talking about her using the insult 'go back home' when she is black in a native white country and that it's just really dumb and ironic for her to say that because that's the sort of thing black people will also get a lot (as they are ancestrally not from the UK like the Asians she is telling to go home)
I know this was said to me a bit tongue in cheek with a grin, but he actually meant some of it. An Asian neighbour who's 3rd Gen British, was complaining to me about the Polish people moving in down our street, pushing up house prices and them taking all our jobs and they should all go home!

What does that actually tell you?

He feels exactly the same as anybody else, he feels British and he has the same worries and has a sense of humour.

ghagua

Hmmm. Not sure that violence is the solution to racism. Just a gut feeling mind.
It's not, neither is turning the other cheek. A beating would not alter her feelings of hatred, but she would think twice about opening her mouth again in the future. I gave an example of what i went through until i fought back, there are so many other instances like that.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Disgusting behavior. Surprised nobody stepped in to tell her to shut it. Anyone else feel bad for the bus driver? :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's not, neither is turning the other cheek. A beating would not alter her feelings of hatred, but she would think twice about opening her mouth again in the future. I gave an example of what i went through until i fought back, there are so many other instances like that.
I think there is a middle ground between saying nothing and beating the crap out of her.

A kid being bullied is also not the same thing at all even if racism is being used to bully someone.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I understand what you are saying. There were quite a lot of terms I used then that I wouldn't dream of using today. There are still terms though that I use innocently, that then I find out are actually classed as racist. An example is I found out watching "Corrie" that the saying "Play the white man" is offensive. I must be a bit thick, but until I saw it in context, I didn't equate it to being racist.

I tried to make three points in my previous post. One being that sometime people use racist terms, not knowing it's racist and the another being you don't have to be white to be a racist and lastly that the way to stop racism and hatred is to bring people together. And I will say this, it's not just the White people who need to try, it takes commitment from both communities and the thing is once you open yourself up you actually find you have more not less in common than you might think.

I also would like to point out that my experiences of racism in the 70s, are from my own experience as a white person. If I have trivialized the effect of any serious racial hatred that anyone might hate suffered, I apologise, it wasn't my intention.
I wasn't having a go at you - I grew up in the same era and I know where you are coming from entirely. Nobody though calling the corner store a Paki shop was racist for example. I was just saying that while such language then didn't equate to intentional racism, much less race hate, that I think it is harmful and I don't think of it as being too PC now.

For some reason this conversation made me remember being about 7 in the playground and hearing the following "joke". "Q: How do you stop a black man from drowning? A: You take your foot off the back of his neck". Now I'm fairly sure that we were laughing because you might expect some sort of rescue scenario. That we didn't even think or know of the vile racism inherent in such a joke make me feel very embarrassed even now over 40 years later.