This needs more attention

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You can only laugh at this point. This kind of things don't happen even when you are chasing goal in added time.

Strelok

Tbh this would be the most hilarious thing I've witnessed in my 25 years watching football. Only if it's not us who look like some totally brainless clowns in that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You get drilled and instructed what area you should be in and whom you’re responsible for.
As Ba wasn’t picked up at all and the coaches and manager are sat in an empty stadium watching the game, do you think they maybe could have instructed someone?
We make many defensive errors and gift chances to opposing team, you honestly think that’s simply down to lapses of concentration? A good coach drills his players on how to defend, we have adequate enough players for the positions, so it can’t be all down to them.

Phelan did. Not the coaching problem if player still didn't listen even after player is being instructed.

Bestietom

if you see the clip you can see phelan shouting and pointing to get back, so its clear the coaching team did not want them to be in that shape.
Then the captain should have made sure there was someone staying back.

Idxomer

That's what happens when you leave the coaching to the players on matchday.

K Stand Knut

He just doesnt willy nilly go up for corners. The whole team knows whos going up and who isnt. That had to be designed.

The issue was awb getting dragged into play on the short corner
i will have your first point but argue that Luke Shaw should be nowhere near the right side of the pitch in the offensive penalty area if we have a corner on the right side of the pitch.

I can’t take your second point seriously. I’m sorry but blaming AWB for getting involved in an attacking build-up on the side of the pitch where he is supposed to provide some attacking option is bonkers. He literally gets criticised weekly on here for not doing enough down the right side and when he does, you criticise him for getting involved and not being back to cover trot only striker.

Godfather

Why are we pushing up full backs on both sides? It's crazy.

Plus Shaw needed to track his man, is it because he's not worried about being dropped or just not arsed about Ole's reaction.
He never does the lazy git

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I still think it would have happened. No way matic can match ba for pace
If you need pace to stop the player then you are already making mistake because your positioning was already off to begin with which what Matic did.

When player is in good positioning and can read the game well and not ball watching, you can stop the player by either outmuscle him or tackle before you get passed or take a foul before Ba entered our half or intercept the ball. There are ways to stop player without outpace them.

48 hours

We also got to enjoy our tactic of overloading the left side

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? De Gea didn't? The management team didn't?

Or was this meant to happen? Which raises even more questions.
players being over confident and complacent. Ala the hare racing the tortoise. No one can convince me that professionals need to be coached something that basic. Like they can't think autonmously. I now understand what Keane meant by these players getting a manager sacked.

arnie_ni

i will have your first point but argue that Luke Shaw should be nowhere near the right side of the pitch in the offensive penalty area if we have a corner on the right side of the pitch.

I can’t take your second point seriously. I’m sorry but blaming AWB for getting involved in an attacking build-up on the side of the pitch where he is supposed to provide some attacking option is bonkers. He literally gets criticised weekly on here for not doing enough down the right side and when he does, you criticise him for getting involved and not being back to cover trot only striker.
Im not blaming him. What im saying is the whole shape went to crap when he got involved.

Someone in the box should have seen that and began working backwards incase we lost the ball.

It wasnt his fault, but it went wrong when he had to get involved

arnie_ni

Plus Shaw needed to track his man, is it because he's not worried about being dropped or just not arsed about Ole's reaction.
You cant be blaming shaw there surely?

Look at his positioning bearing in mind we had the ball. A cross field pass and he's 1v1 with their fullback.

He gets criticised when he doesnt push on and now when he does and someone else loses the ball. Maybe thats why he doesnt bother his ass going forward much

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Corner, centre back who is tall or can win header going to the box. This always the case whether it's early or not early. I'm speechless the excuses you make on centre backs aren't allowed to be in the box during corner kick.
Ok whatever floats your boat.
You should probably try and see the big picture instead of looking at that as one phase of play.

The lack of defence discipline and organisation is so obvious.

arnie_ni

If you need pace to stop the player then you are already making mistake because your positioning was already off to begin with which what Matic did.

When player is in good positioning and can read the game well and not ball watching, you can stop the player by either outmuscle him or tackle before you get passed or take a foul before Ba entered our half or intercept the ball. There are ways to stop player without outpace them.
A 1v1 long ball and matic is screwed as last man back because ba can never be offside in his own half. It has to be awb and shaw imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel like this sequence sums up Ole's time at united to be honest.

Disfunctional, lack of understanding, little desire.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When I player football at school level, the coach always told the full backs & fastest midfielder to stay back on corners to watch the long ball counter. This is the champions league for crying out loud!

Adam-Utd

Look at his positioning bearing in mind we had the ball. A cross field pass and he's 1v1 with their fullback.

He gets criticised when he doesnt push on and now when he does and someone else loses the ball. Maybe thats why he doesnt bother his ass going forward much
You could argue Shaw is too far forward too early, he doesn't sense that Mata is under pressure either. At that point he should have started dropping and at least got in line with their winger.

Anyway there was a big list of reasons why we conceded there before Shaw.

I for one have no idea why our idea of build up play is "send the defenders forward, and make the attackers drop deep to get on the ball" :lol: it's ridiculous.

Ole's seen Klopp do it and thinks this is the right way to play. We should follow the Bayern Munich model as their team much more resembles our team than bloody Liverpool.

M16Red

We also got to enjoy our tactic of overloading the left side

You only have to look at our training on youtube to see we work alot in small groups passing and pressing.

Is this the reflection of this?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Did we let in another goal or at least concede a chance very similar to last night's first one in recent reasons? I think we did but my memory of it is vague. No idea who against if we did, tentatively want to say it was when LVG was manager but that could be wrong too.

Anyone remember what I'm on about or is my brain playing tricks on me? Been bugging me since watching yesterday's match and comments like "never seen anything like that before". I think I have, and with United too.

K Stand Knut

Im not blaming him. What im saying is the whole shape went to crap when he got involved.

Someone in the box should have seen that and began working backwards incase we lost the ball.

It wasnt his fault, but it went wrong when he had to get involved
That is absolute crap!

He is our RB. His job is to be involved in the play on the right side of the pitch.

He gets criticised, rightly so, for not doing enough in an attacking capacity when the ball is down his flank and now you are literally blaming him for a goal that occurred from being involved in play on the right is the pitch.

Absolutely bonkers. Modern football fan BS

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
A 1v1 long ball and matic is screwed as last man back because ba can never be offside in his own half. It has to be awb and shaw imo.
You're not reading. I just told you. There are way to stop the player if you are in good positioning. Player in good positioning could intercept that pass or clear the pass/ball easily before get to Ba.

Matic was in poor positioning and he had no chance to stop it, he was ball watching.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ok whatever floats your boat.
You should probably try and see the big picture instead of looking at that as one phase of play.

The lack of defence discipline and organisation is so obvious.
When midfield aren't ball watching, defense will be more solid. We've seen this prior yesterday game. We have only conceded 3 goals in our 5 games, 2 came from own goal and 1 came from stupid penalty.

When midfield is ball watching then yesterday was what we got. Exposed defensively.

M16Red

If our players moved across which they did, why did he not track the man.

If you watch that Goal again you will see Shaw just behind the goal scorer.

I wasnt really talking about Shaw I was talking about both fullback pushing up at the same time when the ball is on the other side. What do we gain by this?

Adam-Utd

If our players moved across which they did, why did he not track the man.

If you watch that Goal again you will see Shaw just behind the goal scorer.

I wasnt really talking about Shaw I was talking about both fullback pushing up at the same time when the ball is on the other side. What do we gain by this?
The idea is you're supposed to switch it quickly, usually the opposite fullback is in acres of space. With modern pressing tactics the team shuffles over and leaves the other side of the pitch open.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It might be the most inexplicable goal I've ever seen a team concede. Hadn't realised til I seen the replay that Matic's starting position was basically the edge of the attacking box and he's our last man back. You wouldn't see it at any level of football, not even Under 10s.

Surely Dean Henderson would have been screaming his head off at what was unfolding infront of him and in a near empty stadium he had to have been heard. The move was so slow and long that there was loads of time for the situation to correct itself. Its just unbelievable

Idxomer

Did we let in another goal or at least concede a chance very similar to last night's first one in recent reasons? I think we did but my memory of it is vague. No idea who against if we did, tentatively want to say it was when LVG was manager but that could be wrong too.

Anyone remember what I'm on about or is my brain playing tricks on me? Been bugging me since watching yesterday's match and comments like "never seen anything like that before". I think I have, and with United too.
Not similar but counter-attacks against the team from corners have been a problem under Ole for while. They don't always result in a goal but usually very dangerous.

The lack of organization is clear whenever the team is trying to defend without numbers.

M16Red

The idea is you're supposed to switch it quickly, usually the opposite fullback is in acres of space. With modern pressing tactics the team shuffles over and leaves the other side of the pitch open.
Like Liverpool

Do we have the players to switch the play?

If you look at my other post you will see our positioning pattern, let's say you switch play, the other wing looks up and no one is there because we playing so close together.

Plus our DM and CBs aren't the quickest, why not leave the opposite of the attacki g full back on halfway line? This has been happening with the low block since day dot.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
players being over confident and complacent. Ala the hare racing the tortoise. No one can convince me that professionals need to be coached something that basic. Like they can't think autonmously. I now understand what Keane meant by these players getting a manager sacked.
This. Its really quite ridiculous that our fans are hammering the coaching staff for this moment. The remaining 75 minutes are open season for analysis and criticism, but because everyone on here has an intermediate understanding of coaching (at best) we don't know enough to be able to pick that apart.

Instead we all pounce on the one moment that had little to do with how we are coached, and much more to do with how complacent and uncommunicative our team appears to be.

Adam-Utd

Like Liverpool

Do we have the players to switch the play?

If you look at my other post you will see our positioning pattern, let's say you switch play, the other wing looks up and no one is there because we playing so close together.

Plus our DM and CBs aren't the quickest, why not leave the opposite of the attacki g full back on halfway line? This has been happening with the low block since day dot.
Yes and yes.

As you say it's just a mess the way we build up our play. We blanked 6 players in about 20 yards and then have massive disconnects to the rest of the team. We often leave AWB alone with acres of room but he can't attack anybody 1v1, so often just ends up turning backwards and passing back.

It seems like we completely ignore midfield and tell them to just go and stand up at their defensive line. We then try to force a ball forwards and hope it can stick, otherwise we lose possession and get countered as theres no midfield ready to mop it up.

I just cannot understand why we like to play this way. All it does is block up the space for our attackers, they have no room to work in. We end up having to try to force 1-2's through tiny gaps which hardly ever work.

This is why I feel like either the coaching staff needs a complete change, or Ole and the staff in total. We look completely amateur, our team shape is horrible and there is zero cohesion.

There's a reason we can't build from the back, there's a reason we struggle to string 3 passes together without losing it.

Web of Bissaka

Im struggling to understand how can you blame poor coaching for players being ball watching and not being discipline for those two goals we conceded. Matic has been caught ball watching since Mourinho era in here. Players decides to be ball watching, completely switch off & unaware where your man was show the poor attitude and lack of skill in sensing danger.

Look at this clip below. If Bruno & Scott decided not to run back and drop back to help the defense like Matic did, we could have been conceded the same way as how we conceded yesterday. It's no wonder we are defensively better with Fred & Scott in midfield.

Maybe because good coaching would instill the need to concentrate and discipline to players especially the lazy and sleepy ones.

I know right, and that is why we had to play both Fred and McT. They are the two that are always actively concentrating and alert.

He'sRaldo

This. Its really quite ridiculous that our fans are hammering the coaching staff for this moment. The remaining 75 minutes are open season for analysis and criticism, but because everyone on here has an intermediate understanding of coaching (at best) we don't know enough to be able to pick that apart.

Instead we all pounce on the one moment that had little to do with how we are coached, and much more to do with how complacent and uncommunicative our team appears to be.
Players or not, managers get sacked for much less than that at the top level. At the end of the day the bucks stops with them, and a display as shambolic as that which can't be exactly pinpointed on one particular player, will always fall at the manager's feet.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maybe because good coaching would instill the need to concentrate and discipline to players especially the lazy and sleepy ones.

I know right, and that is why we had to play both Fred and McT. They are the two that are always actively concentrating and alert.
Some players just not suited with the manager’s style and this happened to lot of managers out there.

Right now, they have same manager, but different attitudes between Fred/McT and Matic. Don’t think that aspect has anything to do with the first team coaching unless you are telling me if the manager is being picky in applying his coaching to his player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Phelan did. Not the coaching problem if player still didn't listen even after player is being instructed.
He could had shout everything he wanted, players mostly don't listen to them when the play is on. There's no way you can justify a complete lack of routines and zonal organization with someone pointing to a player, when you have 10 players in an area less than 10 meters!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

We have the ball so our fullbacks (as all of our players except central defenders to some extent) should be looking to be in space, not taking themselves out of the play by standing next to an opposition player. Either Maguire or VDB could easily have played it out to him to spread the play and move us forward that way. Remember how 10 years ago we'd have Scholes, Carrick and Rooney constantly swinging the ball out to Valencia or Evra on the opposite side of the field? Maybe an argument could be made that he was a little too wide but ultimately a couple of metres inside wouldn't have made a difference.

Enigma_87

You know who
The same positioning was dreadful against Spurs and we were easily hit on counter.

Same was against Newcastle as pointed, but they couldn't capitalize.

Brighton also got us on the ropes.

It's hardly surprising or an isolated incident.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
2 on 1 as in matic/awb on one opposition player. You need two guys with pace. It should always be awb and shaw in our team imo.

Matic was getting burned for pace anyway is my point even if he was touch tight
Matic actually made up most of the ground so he would have easily stopped it if he were in position. Ba isn't exactly the fastest at this stage of his career and his control wasn't great, so Matic went from being miles away from him when the ball was played to literally touching him on the shoulder as he took the shot.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
When midfield aren't ball watching, defense will be more solid. We've seen this prior yesterday game. We have only conceded 3 goals in our 5 games, 2 came from own goal and 1 came from stupid penalty.

When midfield is ball watching then yesterday was what we got. Exposed defensively.
We have conceded a hell of a lot of goals so I am not sure what youre talking about there with concession of 3 goals in 5 games??

Palace scored 3
Brighton scored 2
Spurs Scored 6
Newcastle scored 1
Arsenal scored 1

United are shocking at the back this season. Shocking.

When the whole defence is ahead of the midfield is that not a problem no?
Midfield were ball watching but there was a whole empty half of a pitch behind.

This is fundamental stuff.

If Maguire an co were drilled and instructed correctly then this doesnt happen. There is no situation a few mins into a champions league away game that calls for the whole fecking team to pile into the oppo box like that,as the game settles then yeah you make the calls as required but not so early. Its scandalous and it stems from the poor coaching. Players are dumb and not blameless either but this is completely a coaching issue. The thoughts ( or lack of thought) of doing what they did is the problem. If you have your coaches instructions drilled into you then you dont do that. Its obvious, and furthermore there should have been a coach or indeed the manager straight on to the touch line telling them to get the feck back as they started their journey up the pitch.