This needs more attention

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We have no idea what the defenders were told for corners. But we can see that Matic was the deepest and could therefore see his entire team of outfield players in front of him. So he knows he's the last man. This is on him. He could have screamed and shouted instead he did nothing
If you are going to leave just one back, it isn't a good idea that it's Matic who is far too slow. Didn't anyone realise if it came to a race he would get beaten hands down. Surely Axel should have stayed back.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Players or not, managers get sacked for much less than that at the top level. At the end of the day the bucks stops with them, and a display as shambolic as that which can't be exactly pinpointed on one particular player, will always fall at the manager's feet.
Are you talking about the display, or are you talking about the goal? As I said, that display is fair game for criticism, but that one moment is for me on par with the De Gea clanger against Everton. Its like one of my team at work taking a shit on the desk for some reason and I get the blame for not telling them not to do it.

We fans cannot have it both ways. We have to understand that this is a squad of players that can go away to Paris and put on a mature, organised and collective tactical display, but then they can also do last night. Was our coaching better that week than it was this week? Was preparation different? We like to criticise Ole for not rotating his squad. We criticise him for his 'patterns of play'. Yet when he rotates it seems to cost us points. When he experiments with a new system we lose games.

You are right though in that the buck does stop with the manager. Its becoming clear that this team responds better to a particular type of opponent, but its also becoming clear that there is a mentality issue within this group that prevents them from being consistent, both in the quality of their play and in the way that they are approaching matches. The single biggest takeaway from our last 3 managerial periods is that we don't seem to be able to find any consistency in anything. Except inconsistency. Maybe the right answer is to roll the dice and try a new face. I'd prefer to give Ole more time to solve these problems.

M16Red

Yes and yes.

As you say it's just a mess the way we build up our play. We blanked 6 players in about 20 yards and then have massive disconnects to the rest of the team. We often leave AWB alone with acres of room but he can't attack anybody 1v1, so often just ends up turning backwards and passing back.

It seems like we completely ignore midfield and tell them to just go and stand up at their defensive line. We then try to force a ball forwards and hope it can stick, otherwise we lose possession and get countered as theres no midfield ready to mop it up.

I just cannot understand why we like to play this way. All it does is block up the space for our attackers, they have no room to work in. We end up having to try to force 1-2's through tiny gaps which hardly ever work.

This is why I feel like either the coaching staff needs a complete change, or Ole and the staff in total. We look completely amateur, our team shape is horrible and there is zero cohesion.

There's a reason we can't build from the back, there's a reason we struggle to string 3 passes together without losing it.
Name them? :devil:

DomesticTadpole

Matic actually made up most of the ground so he would have easily stopped it if he were in position. Ba isn't exactly the fastest at this stage of his career and his control wasn't great, so Matic went from being miles away from him when the ball was played to literally touching him on the shoulder as he took the shot.
The problem was that Ba was ahead of everybody, so had a head start. Matic should have been stood goal side so Ba could have been driven wide.

bsCallout

We also got to enjoy our tactic of overloading the left side

We do this every game.

I was Ole in for a long time but seeing things like this for so long changed my opinion.

We're clearly too used to that 5x5 passing drill with 2 players in the middle that we seem to do in every session. We then take it literally and do it on the pitch.

We make our football so difficult.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Name them? :devil:
Any of our midfielders can switch the play no problem.

Pogba, Bruno, DVB, Fred, Matic. Only Mctominay is a bit more limited.

The issue is it's just not part of the plan. Our first instinct is to try and play through the middle into feet if possible, if that's not on we seem to use the width more as a recycling option to go back into the middle, rather than actually using the wide spaces.

eire-red

We generally leave AWB and Fred behind at corners so I am assuming this time it was AWB and Matic (which itself is a mistake considering his lack of pace and height). AWB went ahead to join the attack when they ball came towards his side. Matic, instead of sticking to Ba even more, decided to move right and cover for AWB.
I would have thought AWB and Shaw would stay back, and then when AWB got engaged from the short corner Tuanzebe and Matic should have gone back in as well. Ok to leave Maguire in there until the ball comes in.

I hate short corners anyway. Never understood them, rarely work out and you open yourself up for the counter. Usually Lindelof stays at home from corners. As much stick as he gets, unlikely we would have seen this happen if he was playing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The problem was that Ba was ahead of everybody, so had a head start. Matic should have been stood goal side so Ba could have been driven wide.
Oh absolutely. I was just responding to someone who was saying that even if Matic were in the right position his lack of pace means he would have been burned. Even if it were somebody fast if he were in the right position he could have tried for an early tackle, attempted to physically overpower him, or used his aerial ability to win the ball in the first place as it was played up the field. But in this particular instance even he would have easily won a foot race.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have conceded a hell of a lot of goals so I am not sure what youre talking about there with concession of 3 goals in 5 games??

Palace scored 3
Brighton scored 2
Spurs Scored 6
Newcastle scored 1
Arsenal scored 1

United are shocking at the back this season. Shocking.

When the whole defence is ahead of the midfield is that not a problem no?
Midfield were ball watching but there was a whole empty half of a pitch behind.

This is fundamental stuff.

If Maguire an co were drilled and instructed correctly then this doesnt happen. There is no situation a few mins into a champions league away game that calls for the whole fecking team to pile into the oppo box like that,as the game settles then yeah you make the calls as required but not so early. Its scandalous and it stems from the poor coaching. Players are dumb and not blameless either but this is completely a coaching issue. The thoughts ( or lack of thought) of doing what they did is the problem. If you have your coaches instructions drilled into you then you dont do that. Its obvious, and furthermore there should have been a coach or indeed the manager straight on to the touch line telling them to get the feck back as they started their journey up the pitch.
I just told you when midfield aren't ball watching, defense will be more solid. And obviously it will be the opposite outcome of what happen to our defense if midfield are ball watching. How can you still don’t know what I’m trying to tell you here. The 2nd goal won’t happen yesterday if our midfield weren’t ball watching.

I gave you good example of what happened when midfield aren’t ball watching from our games against Newcastle to arsenal games.

And if you want to know what happened when midfield are being ball watching then check out yesterday game and all our games before the Newcastle games (Palace, Brighton & Spurs).

If you still don’t know what I’m talking about then go watch this clip. It will show you 2 midfielders who aren’t ball watching & know how to sense the danger, with 1 midfield who is just ball watching, lazy & unable to sense the danger.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This. Its really quite ridiculous that our fans are hammering the coaching staff for this moment. The remaining 75 minutes are open season for analysis and criticism, but because everyone on here has an intermediate understanding of coaching (at best) we don't know enough to be able to pick that apart.

Instead we all pounce on the one moment that had little to do with how we are coached, and much more to do with how complacent and uncommunicative our team appears to be.
Im amazed people actually think any coaching staff in existence can coach a side to put all it's players in the final third for example, without a thought to the oppositons forwards like they are so bad they can mark themselves.....Or the other picture when Maguire tries a dumb ass pass to a heavily marked Shaw whilst there are acres of space on the opposite flank and 2 clearly unmarked team mates.

It's a classic case of players not thinking and just being blatantly complacent and believing in their own hype and taking no responsibility. That their talent alone will win the day when they step on the pitch. Im honestly starting to believe we have no leaders and standard setters in our dressing room.

RedorDead21

I put blame firmly on the captain and manager who doesn’t get off his arse.
Goes back to Leaders on the pitch....as Keane said we don’t have them! Then our captain will be dragged out in the media to say we all need to try harder...it’s absolute drivel.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
First goal:

As I said in the other thread, I don't have too much of a problem with anything until AWB passes the ball the first time. At that point he should continue to drop deeper, both to give the ball-carrier a different option and (more importantly) provide the defensive cover which he's supposed to when we take a corner. Matic' movement is also very poor. Does the right thing in the first place to drop deeper, but after that it's poor. In theory somebody else (probably Shaw or Tuanzebe) should see the problem and be rushing back to cover since AWB is now out of position, but those are much smaller errors. Perhaps a finger could be pointed at Henderson as well as he's seeing everything in front of him so could have been screaming at somebody to get back in cover, although that's probably harsh. Actually the exact same thing could be said about our coaching team on the side of the field.

But overall it was definitely mostly AWB and Matic. They both should be made to watch that play multiple times and shown exactly what they should have been doing at that time.

With this one, it was basically 2v2 on the right side of the box (Mata was behind play so was out of it) so I can't really blame either Axel or Maguire on being dragged over to that side although they both could have done a bit better. Once again it's mostly on Matic who was level with the attacking midfielders when we lost the ball but watched them run off him then just jogged back. You can see the difference in starting positions between Shaw (who was pushed up in an attacking position while we had the ball) and Matic here just before we lost the ball in this following image yet Shaw actually beats Matic back to our box. If Matic had actually pulled his finger out and tried he may have been able to at least put the attacker under pressure.

Two issues I have.

On the first goal, it's a corner to us right... why is Shaw in the box? What is he possibly going to achieve by being in the box? He's not great in the air, i don't think he's actually ever scored from a corner in his life... he can surely see they have one man up, and he can see that AWB is involved in the play, surely he should take it upon himself to get back?

I mean why is Matic not staying goalside and screaming for someone to get back with him?

Matic fecks up for not being goal-side of his man (which is so obvious its incredible) but the rule of thumb is always, for every man they have up, you one defender plus an extra person (unless they have 3 up in which case you can go 3 vs. 3)

I mean ideally our corner set-up should have Shaw and AWB back with Matic in the box as he's one of our best headers of the ball... unless they have two men up in which case pull him/someone else back.

Now on the second goal... Matic's positioning is garbage like you said, but why IS Shaw so high up on the left? We're playing the ball around in RCM/RB... why is he so high? If he he can see AWB is high on the otherside, he should know he needs to be pulling back a bit. Plus say we recycle position you'd want your left back to actually be at left back so you can switch sides.

This kinda feels like i'm ragging on Shaw a bit - and maybe I am - but surely his instincts should kick in at some point?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's the worst piece of defending I've seen in the Champions League. For the second, United have been pretty crap at tracking runners on the counter for years.

I never understood our defending or attacking for set pieces. I won't even mention yesterday. But even when we are defending we are defending with 11 players, why not leave on player near to the middle circle? Just to keep some pressure on the opposition. What do you gain with let say Mata or Martial in your own box?

Something needs to change. Even if Ole stays we need some fresh ideas. Club needs to do something, but as usual they will wait until it is to late.
Rightly or wrongly, defending set-pieces with the whole team back is fairly standard practice at the top level these days.

acnumber9

Shaw should take the majority of the blame for this.
He was in the defending teams penalty area, on the same side as AWB.
Yeah I don’t get what Shaw is doing at all. He’s never going to score from the corner and it was on the opposite flank. When the corner was played short it makes sense for the right back to be involved. It doesn’t make sense for the left back to be making a run at the near post. Though if he’s told to be up there then it’s on who told him to be there.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you are going to leave just one back, it isn't a good idea that it's Matic who is far too slow. Didn't anyone realise if it came to a race he would get beaten hands down. Surely Axel should have stayed back.
No one does this though... even we don't normally just leave one man back if they have one man up. It's crazy.

DomesticTadpole

No one does this though... even we don't normally just leave one man back if they have one man up. It's crazy.
Couldn't understand why they did it. It was as though they all piled forward and just didn't realise only Matic was back. Somebody should have been in control of that.

RUCK4444

Said it last night, you don’t need any coach to know better than to do that.

It’s basics that you learn in junior school ffs.

If players need a coach to explain this to them then it’s laughable. Just another brain fart from what I class as a generally thick bunch of players that we have.

Which goes some way to explain why some of them struggle under multiple managers.

RedorDead21

If players need a coach to explain this to them then it’s laughable. Just another brain fart from what I class as a generally thick bunch of players that we have.

Which goes some way to explain why some of them struggle under multiple managers.
Modern day fans blame that on the coach, so yeah, they do need coaching not to do that, especially if you’re a manager who wishes to remain in a job.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This. Its really quite ridiculous that our fans are hammering the coaching staff for this moment. The remaining 75 minutes are open season for analysis and criticism, but because everyone on here has an intermediate understanding of coaching (at best) we don't know enough to be able to pick that apart.

Instead we all pounce on the one moment that had little to do with how we are coached, and much more to do with how complacent and uncommunicative our team appears to be.
Yes! Exactly that.

RUCK4444

Modern day fans blame that on the coach, so yeah, they do need coaching not to do that, especially if you’re a manager who wishes to remain in a job.
As others have said it doesn’t need coaching, it’s just appalling decision making from the players on the pitch in that moment.

The rest of game and our approach / performance is fine to blame on the coaches, that first goal though is just basics that anybody learns playing Sunday league. No excuse for it and if I were one of those players I’d be embarrassed to blame it on poor coaching.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Upon viewing that image the first questions that popped to my mind was: where he heck is Pogba?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Thick players under a pretty incompetent coaching team.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That first goal is only really permissible (though still bad) if it's in stoppage time and you're piling forward to get a goal and get caught out, like Salah's stoppage time goal against us at Anfield.

But never ever that early in the first half. Total madness.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Two issues I have.

On the first goal, it's a corner to us right... why is Shaw in the box? What is he possibly going to achieve by being in the box? He's not great in the air, i don't think he's actually ever scored from a corner in his life... he can surely see they have one man up, and he can see that AWB is involved in the play, surely he should take it upon himself to get back?

I mean why is Matic not staying goalside and screaming for someone to get back with him?

Matic fecks up for not being goal-side of his man (which is so obvious its incredible) but the rule of thumb is always, for every man they have up, you one defender plus an extra person (unless they have 3 up in which case you can go 3 vs. 3)

I mean ideally our corner set-up should have Shaw and AWB back with Matic in the box as he's one of our best headers of the ball... unless they have two men up in which case pull him/someone else back.

Now on the second goal... Matic's positioning is garbage like you said, but why IS Shaw so high up on the left? We're playing the ball around in RCM/RB... why is he so high? If he he can see AWB is high on the otherside, he should know he needs to be pulling back a bit. Plus say we recycle position you'd want your left back to actually be at left back so you can switch sides.

This kinda feels like i'm ragging on Shaw a bit - and maybe I am - but surely his instincts should kick in at some point?
First one Shaw is actually quite good in the air defensively at least, so I presume they think he has a fair chance of winning the ball even if he's unlikely to actually score from it. Then once AWB gets involved in a higher position Shaw is actually in clear space right in front of the goal and has quite a good chance of scoring if the ball got played to him. I do agree that once AWB got on the ball the second time and started to drive forward that either Shaw or Tuanzebe probably should have seen the danger and started dropping.

I'm not actually sure whether we normally keep one or two players back during our corners. I'll have to pay more attention to it in the next few games if I remember. I think it might depend on how many the opposition keep up, if they bring everyone back we leave just the one player (AWB) to cover but if they leave somebody up then we'll keep a second. In this case they bought everyone back (even Ba was at the edge of the box at first) so it may have just been AWB that was supposed to stay back. Watching the play I don't think Matic was 'supposed' to be defending that position, I think he was originally going to be running into the box but he saw that AWB was out of position and took it on himself to cover. Which was great work originally, but then he ruined it by wandering and left Ba completely alone.

Second one Shaw is in a good position for either Maguire or VDB to play him into space and attack their fullback. Think of all the times we saw the likes of Scholes, Carrick and Rooney play those raking diagonal balls out to the fullbacks. We don't do it as often anymore but the likes of Maguire, Matic and especially Pogba do play it sometimes.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You don't even see this in youth level football. :lol:
This is exactly right, footballers of this level shouldn't need to be "coached" to recognise this, this is an absolute basic from any footballer at even the very lowest levels.

DickDastardly

The thing is, this really is a cock up.

You could argue in Ole's defense if the game was played with fans - you know, you're in Turkey, the fans are loud, bla bla bla.... - but you could hear a fly from Istanbul on TV.

Imagine you are the coach of Manchester United, you're sitting there in the dugout, watching your team have a corner.....

And you see all your Zebra players are trying to score, they all want to score from that corner! Great isn't it! ITS NOT THE LAST MINUTE you dumb fecks.

And there is this HUGE black guy in a bright ORANGE shirt all alone on the center line, ALL ALONE!!!

And you do nothing, you just sit there. SCREAM your lungs out for crying out loud!!!
THAT right there, that's Ole's biggest problem.

He's either on antidepressants or he's as cool as a cucumber. Either way, not good.

arnie_ni

That is absolute crap!

He is our RB. His job is to be involved in the play on the right side of the pitch.

He gets criticised, rightly so, for not doing enough in an attacking capacity when the ball is down his flank and now you are literally blaming him for a goal that occurred from being involved in play on the right is the pitch.

Absolutely bonkers. Modern football fan BS
Read my bloody post. Im not blaming him. When he gets involved someone else needs to realise matic is 1v1 and has to go back.

I said it clearly. Its not awb fault, but when he gets involved and leaves matic 1v1 someone else has to notice this.

feck me. Read my post mate

arnie_ni

Matic actually made up most of the ground so he would have easily stopped it if he were in position. Ba isn't exactly the fastest at this stage of his career and his control wasn't great, so Matic went from being miles away from him when the ball was played to literally touching him on the shoulder as he took the shot.
I suppose on 2nd watch he did actually gain the ground. No idea what he was doing where he was but someone else should have dropped back as soon as awb got involved

arnie_ni

once AWB gets involved in a higher position Shaw is actually in clear space right in front of the goal and has quite a good chance of scoring if the ball got played to him. I do agree that once AWB got on the ball the second time and started to drive forward that either Shaw or Tuanzebe probably should have seen the danger and started dropping.
excatly. Once awb gets involved leaving it 1 v 1. Someone has to notice this.

Normally youd expect awb and shaw to be back as your 2 v 1 with matic around the edge of the box to stop a counter or pick up a loose ball.

Have no idea why we lined up like we day

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This reminds me of primary school when PE teacher Mr Murray decided I should be a defender (the cnut) and so I basically just stood like a statue on the edge of the box all game alongside three others waiting for the opposite team to attack us.

I always look back and wish I’d been told how to play properly but turns out that tactic would have made me the best defender in this team.

K Stand Knut

Read my bloody post. Im not blaming him. When he gets involved someone else needs to realise matic is 1v1 and has to go back.

I said it clearly. Its not awb fault, but when he gets involved and leaves matic 1v1 someone else has to notice this.

feck me. Read my post mate
I read your bloody post and you said something along the lines of ‘the issue was when AWB got involved’.

That statement was what I originally replied to and I think is rubbish. He should be involved.

The issue was clearly not having anyone back and I don’t think that is AWB’s issue when the ball is on his side of the pitch and he is involved in the build play.

Like I’ve already said, Shaw was in the penalty area attacking the near post. He should be responsible for being the last man back. As should AWB if we had a corner on the opposite side.

Who passed the instruction needs to be spoken too?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is an isolated incident so I can forgive it to an extent. What is a pattern and entirely unforgivable is our pathetic attempt at chasing the result. They took the lead in the 11th minute and not once did we look like being a real threat. We created feck all and never stretched them. It was just a terrible attempt at chasing a result.

arnie_ni

I read your bloody post and you said something along the lines of ‘the issue was when AWB got involved’.

That statement was what I originally replied to and I think is rubbish. He should be involved.

The issue was clearly not having anyone back and I don’t think that is AWB’s issue when the ball is on his side of the pitch and he is involved in the build play.

Like I’ve already said, Shaw was in the penalty area attacking the near post. He should be responsible for being the last man back. As should AWB if we had a corner on the opposite side.

Who passed the instruction needs to be spoken too?
And thats exactly when the issue happened. If we just took a normal corner he would have been back at the halfway line.

When he gets involved in the short corner someone needs to notice it and drop back in and cover.

I didnt once blame awb.

We're saying the exact same thing but you're not reading my post

K Stand Knut

And thats exactly when the issue happened. If we just took a normal corner he would have been back at the halfway line.

When he gets involved in the short corner someone needs to notice it and drop back in and cover.

I didnt once blame awb.

We're saying the exact same thing but you're not reading my post
Ok. Let’s agree to disagree then.

I think AWB is so far down the list of issues.