This needs more attention

arnie_ni

Ok. Let’s agree to disagree then.

I think AWB is so far down the list of issues.
Jesus. How many times, i am not blaming awb.

When he gets involved someone else has to realise matic is 1v1 and work back.

Someone else.
Someone else.

It is not awb fault

Dve

If you are going to leave just one back, it isn't a good idea that it's Matic who is far too slow. Didn't anyone realise if it came to a race he would get beaten hands down. Surely Axel should have stayed back.
Normally it´s Bissaka or Shaw, or sometimes James when he´s playing. I´m sure Tuanzebe was supposed to be in the box.

arnie_ni

you’re repeating yourself now.
And you still dont appear to be understanding when you had to qualify your last post with saying awb was way down the list.

I know he is, i didnt blame him. You made that up

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:lol: Did you even watch the match. DeGea wasn’t playing. Love how our players get so much shit by these analyst fans :lol:
Calm down divvy

1) I admitted to the mistake
2) I was merely pointing that the guy that can see the whole pitch might have spotted an issue
3) I literally mentioned everybody in the stadium that might have spotted it and maybe could have done something about it
4) Imagine this is what you have an issue with when you see this

Love how our posters can’t analyse a simple thread before being a shithead.

SAFMUTD

Im struggling to understand how can you blame poor coaching for players being ball watching and not being discipline for those two goals we conceded. Matic has been caught ball watching since Mourinho era in here. Players decides to be ball watching, completely switch off & unaware where your man was show the poor attitude and lack of skill in sensing danger.

Look at this clip below. If Bruno & Scott decided not to run back and drop back to help the defense like Matic did, we could have been conceded the same way as how we conceded yesterday. It's no wonder we are defensively better with Fred & Scott in midfield.

How can I blame poor coaching? When a mistake is constantly repeated and not corrected is due to coaching. If the player is unable to follow the simple instructions then the coach should substitute the player.

Dont get me wrong, even sunday league players should be better at positioning but there's no way Ole can be let off the hook for this.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Calm down divvy
1) I admitted to the mistake
2) I was merely pointing that the guy that can see the whole pitch might have spotted an issue
3) I literally mentioned everybody in the stadium that might have spotted it and maybe could have done something about it

Love how our posters can’t analyse a simple thread before being a shithead.
1) Attacking the poster now too?
2) I realised you spotted it after I made my post
C) typical fans on here being tactical masters but don’t even know who’s playing.
Without being corrected, later down the line you would ‘remember’ when we conceded that goal and Dave didn’t even shout at his defence. No wonder our players get so much shit. For what it’s worth I thought lindelof was shocking for that goal too.

sorry I hurt your feelings, fecking divvy

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
1) Attacking the poster now too?
2) I realised you spotted it after I made my post
C) typical fans on here being tactical masters but don’t even know who’s playing.
Without being corrected, later down the line you would ‘remember’ when we conceded that goal and Dave didn’t even shout at his defence. No wonder our players get so much shit. For what it’s worth I thought lindelof was shocking for that goal too.

sorry I hurt your feelings, fecking divvy
Anyone who responds with multiple laughing smilies is allowed to be insulted. Unwritten rule.

You’re not well suited to a forum like this mate. You should find somewhere else to let off steam.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jesus. How many times, i am not blaming awb.

When he gets involved someone else has to realise matic is 1v1 and work back.

Someone else.
Someone else.

It is not awb fault
So what you're saying is... AWB should have worked back? Got it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Anyone who responds with multiple laughing smilies is allowed to be insulted. Unwritten rule.

You’re not well suited to a forum like this mate. You should find somewhere else to let off steam.
Really? I thought the mistake and how sensitive you was about it quite funny.
its clearly got to you and for that I’m sorry.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really? I thought the mistake and how sensitive you was about it quite funny.
its clearly got to you and for that I’m sorry.
People choosing to be a dick about the poster when there’s plenty to talk about otherwise gets to me, because it’s so prevalent all over the internet and it makes it incredibly tiring.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
People choosing to be a dick about the poster when there’s plenty to talk about otherwise gets to me, because it’s so prevalent all over the internet and it makes it incredibly tiring.
Come on mate you made a thread about something that happened in a game but didn’t even know who the keeper was. I found it funny, sorry I laughed at you.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Come on mate you made a thread about something that happened in a game but didn’t even know who the keeper was. I found it funny, sorry I laughed at you.
It was a mistake which I owned up to and laughed at. The contents of the thread were unrelated to who the keeper was anyway.

I apologise for name calling though.

Foxbatt

So what you're saying is... AWB should have worked back? Got it.
1. AWB should not have got involved in it. He got involved because he hung about outside their box. He should have sprinted back to his position.
2. Even when he got involved he had options open to him. (1) pass it back to Matic. (2) pass it sideways to Bruno and (3) put in a cross. He did neither. He decided to take on their defence on the outside while everyone apart from Matic is in front of him or level with him. He then fecked his cross. This was what led to the break. It was a clearance up field.

He'sRaldo

Are you talking about the display, or are you talking about the goal? As I said, that display is fair game for criticism, but that one moment is for me on par with the De Gea clanger against Everton. Its like one of my team at work taking a shit on the desk for some reason and I get the blame for not telling them not to do it.

We fans cannot have it both ways. We have to understand that this is a squad of players that can go away to Paris and put on a mature, organised and collective tactical display, but then they can also do last night. Was our coaching better that week than it was this week? Was preparation different? We like to criticise Ole for not rotating his squad. We criticise him for his 'patterns of play'. Yet when he rotates it seems to cost us points. When he experiments with a new system we lose games.

You are right though in that the buck does stop with the manager. Its becoming clear that this team responds better to a particular type of opponent, but its also becoming clear that there is a mentality issue within this group that prevents them from being consistent, both in the quality of their play and in the way that they are approaching matches. The single biggest takeaway from our last 3 managerial periods is that we don't seem to be able to find any consistency in anything. Except inconsistency. Maybe the right answer is to roll the dice and try a new face. I'd prefer to give Ole more time to solve these problems.
I was talking more about the game overall, and I agree that this one moment was just a ridiculously poor moment. But again, that reflects back to the manager. As the saying goes, the team is a reflection of the man in charge.

I do think we have decent consistency when we're in our element as underdogs with a counter approach. We seem to be uncomfortable with taking the game to the opposition, which is clearly something Ole struggles to resolve. But that doesn't mean he's failed mind you.

I remember talking with you about this issue last season, about how far Ole could take us and how proactive we should be in considering his replacement., and while you always gave very good points, I was still for replacing him at the end of the season. This is why. We simply don't seem to be improving with regards to taking the game to the opponent, and despite us being very dangerous at a counter game to Ole's credit, if he's not able to improve the other side of it then we have to quickly move on and build on what he started.

Like I said, Ole hasn't failed per se. In fact, it's us who have failed to see quickly enough that he seems to have taken us as far as he can, and replace him swiftly. And as for Ole, there's no shame in that. But I don't think more time will solve anything; in fact, more time is liable to make things worse at this stage.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yes he controls the players with Playstation remote, no wonder they can’t pass, have no brain as well. Alot of individual errors can’t be blamed on managers!
Yeah managers are just not responsible for anything.

If we win its Ole, if we lose its the players. Classic.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I was talking more about the game overall, and I agree that this one moment was just a ridiculously poor moment. But again, that reflects back to the manager. As the saying goes, the team is a reflection of the man in charge.

I do think we have decent consistency when we're in our element as underdogs with a counter approach. We seem to be uncomfortable with taking the game to the opposition, which is clearly something Ole struggles to resolve. But that doesn't mean he's failed mind you.

I remember talking with you about this issue last season, about how far Ole could take us and how proactive we should be in considering his replacement., and while you always gave very good points, I was still for replacing him at the end of the season. This is why. We simply don't seem to be improving with regards to taking the game to the opponent, and despite us being very dangerous at a counter game to Ole's credit, if he's not able to improve the other side of it then we have to quickly move on and build on what he started.

Like I said, Ole hasn't failed per se. In fact, it's us who have failed to see quickly enough that he seems to have taken us as far as he can, and replace him swiftly. And as for Ole, there's no shame in that. But I don't think more time will solve anything; in fact, more time is liable to make things worse at this stage.
I'm not yet convinced that Ole has taken us as far as he can, and i can't agree right now that this team is a reflection of the manager. What i will say is that it is getting more and more difficult to refute the arguments of people such as yourself. I want to be clear on this - I've always respected the opinion of posters that can put together a reasoned argument, the 'toys out of the pram every week' 'want us to lose' brigade can still do one.

I'm at the point now where I'm weighing up where to lay blame for all of this. I dont buy that Ole and team are bad at coaching. There's simply too much evidence to the contrary. My issue now is regarding the culture within this squad. I thought it was moving forwards but now I think its clear that it isn't. Too many mistakes. Too much inconsistency. Something is rotten, as it was under Jose. It hasn't been solved.

So what to do? If there are rotten eggs then they should have been removed by now. If they haven't been then that's a failure of the management. Thats where my conflict lies right now. I honestly don't know what to think. We have precious little information to make an informed judgement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How can I blame poor coaching? When a mistake is constantly repeated and not corrected is due to coaching. If the player is unable to follow the simple instructions then the coach should substitute the player.

Dont get me wrong, even sunday league players should be better at positioning but there's no way Ole can be let off the hook for this.
The two goals we conceded against Istanbul wasn’t constantly repeated against Newcastle, PSG, RB Leipzig, Chelsea & Arsenal. Those 5 games we were solid defensively, so can’t be just lazy argument again of poor coaching. Not coincidence isn’t it, happened when we played Fred or Scott in midfield, midfield who does his the basic thing what midfield supposed to do, follow your man.

croadyman

The two goals we conceded against Istanbul wasn’t constantly repeated against Newcastle, PSG, RB Leipzig, Chelsea & Arsenal. Those 5 games we were solid defensively, so can’t be just lazy argument again of poor coaching. Not coincidence isn’t it, happened when we played Fred or Scott in midfield, midfield who does his the basic thing what midfield supposed to do, follow your man.
That's a fair point but still think he is going to get sacked at some point this season but won't be for ages yet

Web of Bissaka

Doesn't that again just show our total reliance on individual abilities which again is hindering us?
We know Fred or Scott are always concentrating and alert in the basic -- follow your man and backtrack sensing danger.
The others not really and it showed.

And so again showcasing the poor coaching or lack of it?
It definitely question the manager's poor ability in decisions makings.
If he knows his players are like this dense as hell, and then opt to not play either one of Fred/McT to cover their shits, then we will concede this kind of shit goals easily. Surely if he knows about his players about this, then he will coach/teach the players to always be alert, and since we're seeing the shit defending, clearly it didn't work hence poor coaching. Even worse is if he doesn't know about this at all so zero coaching.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doesn't that again just show our total reliance on individual abilities which again is hindering us?
We know Fred or Scott are always concentrating and alert in the basic -- follow your man and backtrack sensing danger.
The others not really and it showed.

And so again showcasing the poor coaching or lack of it?
It definitely question the manager's poor ability in decisions makings.
If he knows his players are like this dense as hell, and then opt to not play either one of Fred/McT to cover their shits, then we will concede this kind of shit goals easily. Surely if he knows about his players about this, then he will coach/teach the players to always be alert, and since we're seeing the shit defending, clearly it didn't work hence poor coaching. Even worse is if he doesn't know about this at all so zero coaching.
Following your man is basic thing to do for every midfielders supposed to do. This is not a specific ability that only certain individual can have. This is the basic thing that every players & including midfielders should and must do, not ball watching, wingers follow the full backs, midfielders follow the other opposition midfielder, and etc. So no, this doesn't show our total reliance on individual. Unless if the player is being instructed not to track back his man then I can understand but you are going to have a laugh if a manager will say that to defensive midfielder like Matic. He's not attackers like Ronaldo or Messi ffs.

Your logic also just doesn't make any sense, a defensive midfielder who doesn't sense a danger? Like really? Is that even acceptable to put the player in the category as defensive midfielder?

Resting McT & Fred for the Everton game is reasonable. That's not about manager's decision making to pick the wrong players. Players should not be ball watching, it's fundamental in football and they are getting paid above 100k p/w. Blaming coaching for struggling to break the team down is one thing but to actually use coaching excuses for those two goals conceded is non-sense.

wolvored

It should be a coaching issue. Surely you leave at least 2 of the smallest defenders/midfielders you have around the halfway line and at least 1 more between the penalty box and halfway line to cover a short or long ball clearance. The only other thing you could envisage is that the team have stopped listening to coaching and do their own thing. One of the players was reported to have told someone in the press the coaching is very basic. Its all about stamina and fitness.

wolvored

I never understood our defending or attacking for set pieces. I won't even mention yesterday. But even when we are defending we are defending with 11 players, why not leave on player near to the middle circle? Just to keep some pressure on the opposition. What do you gain with let say Mata or Martial in your own box?

Something needs to change. Even if Ole stays we need some fresh ideas. Club needs to do something, but as usual they will wait until it is to late.
I have said this many times. When we are defencding split Martial and Rashford so one goes wide left of centre circle and the other goes right. One this would mean the opposition would leave 3-4 defenders back all the time. This would feck up the teams with attacking full backs or two we could win the ball and fire it over the top either side hoping Martial/Rashford would win it. Even better if we left all 3 attackers upfield we would virtually nullify all attacks as more opposition players would have to stop back. You would end up with 8 v 6, 8 v 5 something like that.

He'sRaldo

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? *Henderson didn't? The management team didn't?

Or was this meant to happen? Which raises even more questions.
In light of this match actually being really important in the end, I'm left wondering how on earth we ever conceded this goal.

Surely one of the worst goals ever to concede in the CL?