This needs more attention

SambaBoy

I'm still lost for words as to how that was allowed to happen. We hear all the time 'it's schoolboy stuff' but this truely was.

BootsyCollins

Anybody have a video on how it looks around Demba Ba 10 seconds before he gets the ball?

I coach a youth team, and would be furious if that happened to us. Like really angry. I talked to some of our players and they cant understand how it happens at that level.
No one saw anything? None of the coaches saw how free Demba Ba. was and could tell the players? None of the players saw it? Its just strange.

gregor

I never understood our defending or attacking for set pieces. I won't even mention yesterday. But even when we are defending we are defending with 11 players, why not leave on player near to the middle circle? Just to keep some pressure on the opposition. What do you gain with let say Mata or Martial in your own box?

Something needs to change. Even if Ole stays we need some fresh ideas. Club needs to do something, but as usual they will wait until it is to late.

OrcaFat

This has nothing to do with coaching. Zero. It is the defender equivalent of the keeper not standing in front of his goal, you wouldn’t say “Ole needs to tell the keeper to guard the net”.

Phelan was shouting at Matic to get back.

However, I do think the pressure is getting to the players. They’re clearly not thinking properly. We are shambolic in every way. I don’t even think that is Ole’s fault really but he is where the buck stops and I do feel it’s better if he leaves now. The reset button needs pressing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Anybody have a video on how it looks around Demba Ba 10 seconds before he gets the ball?

I coach a youth team, and would be furious if that happened to us. Like really angry. I talked to some of our players and they cant understand how it happens at that level.
No one saw anything? None of the coaches saw how free Demba Ba. was and could tell the players? None of the players saw it? Its just strange.
Matic was on Demba Ba earlier, he decided to ignored him when Bissaka decided to dribble the ball. You can get the video in the match thread video. You can find that on the home page and on the right side ''Match thread threadmarks''. Or you can go to match thread and click the threadmarks to find it.

GazTheLegend

People use the word shambles to describe defending sometimes but that's not an exaggeration for once.

It's absolutely embarassing. Maybe the worst goal the Champions League has ever seen. It would be bad in five or seven a side. It's inexcusable from the players manager and coaches and heads must rollllllllllll.

El Zoido

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I put blame firmly on the captain and manager who doesn’t get off his arse.
I played centre half for years and our pre match discussion was always to keep it simple for the first few mins. Stay disciplined,keep our shape and two centre half were not to go for corners unless we got the nod from coaches. This was Amateur

In this case Maguire just fecked off and the scary thing is that his Job is to organise and Marshall the defence. Clearly he didnt think about it. At all.
What the coaches were thinking about is equally appalling

We have an amateur manager and a below average defender leading the team.

Were fecked

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First goal:

As I said in the other thread, I don't have too much of a problem with anything until AWB passes the ball the first time. At that point he should continue to drop deeper, both to give the ball-carrier a different option and (more importantly) provide the defensive cover which he's supposed to when we take a corner. Matic' movement is also very poor. Does the right thing in the first place to drop deeper, but after that it's poor. In theory somebody else (probably Shaw or Tuanzebe) should see the problem and be rushing back to cover since AWB is now out of position, but those are much smaller errors. Perhaps a finger could be pointed at Henderson as well as he's seeing everything in front of him so could have been screaming at somebody to get back in cover, although that's probably harsh. Actually the exact same thing could be said about our coaching team on the side of the field.

But overall it was definitely mostly AWB and Matic. They both should be made to watch that play multiple times and shown exactly what they should have been doing at that time.

With this one, it was basically 2v2 on the right side of the box (Mata was behind play so was out of it) so I can't really blame either Axel or Maguire on being dragged over to that side although they both could have done a bit better. Once again it's mostly on Matic who was level with the attacking midfielders when we lost the ball but watched them run off him then just jogged back. You can see the difference in starting positions between Shaw (who was pushed up in an attacking position while we had the ball) and Matic here just before we lost the ball in this following image yet Shaw actually beats Matic back to our box. If Matic had actually pulled his finger out and tried he may have been able to at least put the attacker under pressure.

This is spot on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: These pics are hilarious. Thanks for lightening my mood.

McGrathsipan

Im struggling to understand how can you blame poor coaching for players being ball watching and not being discipline for those two goals we conceded. Matic has been caught ball watching since Mourinho era in here. Players decides to be ball watching, completely switch off & unaware where your man was show the poor attitude and lack of skill in sensing danger.

Look at this clip below. If Bruno & Scott decided not to run back and drop back to help the defense like Matic did, we could have been conceded the same way as how we conceded yesterday. It's no wonder we are defensively better with Fred & Scott in midfield.

Our centre half pairing shouldn't be up in the opponents box. Thoughts of defence were abandoned. Zero organisation.

That's on the coaches.

The players should be well drilled on what to do from corners not all going forward like a bunch of 10 year olds.

UmbroDays

The coaching is more to blame than people think, here’s why.

It was a corner on the right, so you can expect AWB to be up there, no blame on him. So you need to look at Shaw McGuire and Tuazanbe. Why were they all up there? It’s either a) coaching tactic or more inexplicably b) they all just decided to go up and ignored everything else.

If B, then that to me is something Ole should have seen progressing, been on the touch line and calling an audible to his players, not Phelan. Ole hasn’t earns the ability to sit on the bench and be passive whilst his coaches shout the instructions.

All this season when they’ve played Fred and AWB have been the ones that are the deepest for our corners and you can go check the tapes on that. But for some reason we decided to put our second slowest player in the middle of their box. It didn’t make sense and I don’t believe it was a mistake. It appears to be a tactic.

McKenna, Carrick, Phelan and Ole need to do the respectful thing when this season is done and make way.

Last edited:

Dan_F

if you see the clip you can see phelan shouting and pointing to get back, so its clear the coaching team did not want them to be in that shape.
Way too late to actually impact things though. Wasn’t it just before the ball was played forward?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our centre half pairing shouldn't be up in the opponents box. Thoughts of defence were abandoned. Zero organisation.

That's on the coaches.

The players should be well drilled on what to do from corners not all going forward like a bunch of 10 year olds.
It's corner mate. Centre backs in the box waiting for the cross. Nothing wrong with that.

Matic being ball watching not aware where his man was and Bissaka who was initially stay back decided to dribble forward and put cross it but failed to hit our players. That's not coaching or instruction problem.

McGrathsipan

It's corner mate. Centre backs in the box waiting for the cross. Nothing wrong with that.

Matic being ball watching not aware where his man was and Bissaka who was initially stay back decided to dribble forward and put cross it but failed to hit our players. That's not coaching or instruction problem.
I disagree. Maguire and Tuanzebe shouldn't be up there so early. Maguire especially.
Not so early in a game. No need.
The mistakes are going to happen when players lose the ball but our centre backs are where they should be then that goal isnt going in.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? De Gea didn't? The management team didn't?

Or was this meant to happen? Which raises even more questions.
:lol: Did you even watch the match. DeGea wasn’t playing. Love how our players get so much shit by these analyst fans :lol:

UpWithRivers

I said it in the Ole thread. Its because we keep changing the team. the formation and the tactics. These are professional footballers. I dont believe for one second they dont know that they need to pick up the last man. And I cant believe that the coaching team dont know how to tell the players how to defend. And its not like its an isolated incident. Weird sht happens like this all the times with us its crazy.
Thats why you stick with the same CB's and dont chop and change. Everyone knows that you need to buid a CB pairing so it gets to the point where they know telepathically exactly what the other one is doing and who should push up and who should drop back. This goes for the rest of the team as well. These goals are simply confusion in a team that is asked to do a million different things in different games.
Football is simple. Pick a strategy and a team and more or less stick with it. Yeah you can mix it up a bit. Change a player here or there. But making massive changes week in week out both in formation, tactics and strategy will lead to this.

K Stand Knut

Shaw should take the majority of the blame for this.
He was in the defending teams penalty area, on the same side as AWB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree. Maguire and Tuanzebe shouldn't be up there so early. Maguire especially.
Not so early in a game. No need.
The mistakes are going to happen when players lose the ball but our centre backs are where they should be then that goal isnt going in.
Corner, centre back who is tall or can win header going to the box. This always the case whether it's early or not early. I'm speechless the excuses you make on centre backs aren't allowed to be in the box during corner kick.

arnie_ni

Every footballers even Sunday League footballers know that if you are assigned to stay back during the corner kick means it’s your job to stay back, don’t leave your position and be aware where the opposition players are. You don’t need coaching for this, you just need footballer to use bit of brain. Unless if they don’t have brain but just a machine or robot.
Awb and matic were back. They used a short corner and dragged awb into play.

The fact the 2nd slowest player on the pitch was left back 2 on 1 is a major coaching issue.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Where the feck was lindelof during this goal and why didn’t he pick anybody up! Shambles of a coach

arnie_ni

Shaw should take the majority of the blame for this.
He was in the defending teams penalty area, on the same side as AWB.
He just doesnt willy nilly go up for corners. The whole team knows whos going up and who isnt. That had to be designed.

The issue was awb getting dragged into play on the short corner

Longshanks

The first goal is a horror show, A.W.B and matic don't hold there positions after the short corner, braindead play, embarrassing I'm not sure the coaching has much to do with it they must know that is there job from corner.

The second goal is bruno's fault a completely unneeded horrible pass to mata, tuanzebe and maguire did what they had to do, but weren't helped by matic's lack of pace and the fact shaw was so far forward.

We have to play the mctom and fred double pivot i think it is our only way forward, we lack guile and creativity but at least we don't concede frankly unbelievably poor goals.

Last night showed again we are crying out for a proper winger and a deep lying playmaker, why didn't we sign one in the summer?

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

The fact the 2nd slowest player on the pitch was left back 2 on 1 is a major coaching issue.
If Matic wasn't ball watching in the first place and aware where his man was, the first goal wouldn't happen, it has nothing to do with being slow or no, slow player can stop the play. Coach doesn't instruct player to be ball watching mate and in fact you can see from the post on this page show a picture where Phelan shout at Matic about the position of Demba Ba.

Withnail

It wasn't a two on one. Even with AWB running forward there wouldn't have been much danger if Matic sticks with Ba.

arnie_ni

I never understood our defending or attacking for set pieces. I won't even mention yesterday. But even when we are defending we are defending with 11 players, why not leave on player near to the middle circle? Just to keep some pressure on the opposition. What do you gain with let say Mata or Martial in your own box?

Something needs to change. Even if Ole stays we need some fresh ideas. Club needs to do something, but as usual they will wait until it is to late.
This annoys me so much. Cant understand why we dont leave rashy and martial at the half way line and bruno in between. That means they need to leave 4 men back plus a corner taker.

It would make it easier clearing the ball and could start an attack.

Red_toad

When player is instructed to stay at the back during corner, it’s pretty obvious the purpose for that is to be alert for counter attack and aware where the opposition player is, don’t you think? You don’t need coaching for that.

When Rio Ferdinand lost his pace in his 34 and 35 years old, he always stay back being the last man. We’ve also seen Lindelof does it. You don’t need to be rapid quick in order to mark one player alone especially if that player is 35 years old Demba Ba.

The issue wasn’t because Matic isn’t rapid, he didn’t even get outpaced, he was already way behind Demba Ba before the pass was on. The issue was Matic was so far off from where Demba Ba was. He was ball watching and had no idea where his man was, that’s a player’s mistakes. Manager doesn’t instruct player to stay back for purpose of ball watching.
You get drilled and instructed what area you should be in and whom you’re responsible for.
As Ba wasn’t picked up at all and the coaches and manager are sat in an empty stadium watching the game, do you think they maybe could have instructed someone?
We make many defensive errors and gift chances to opposing team, you honestly think that’s simply down to lapses of concentration? A good coach drills his players on how to defend, we have adequate enough players for the positions, so it can’t be all down to them.

arnie_ni

It wasn't a two on one. Even with AWB running forward there wouldn't have been much danger if Matic sticks with Ba.
2 on 1 as in matic/awb on one opposition player. You need two guys with pace. It should always be awb and shaw in our team imo.

Matic was getting burned for pace anyway is my point even if he was touch tight

arnie_ni

I still think it would have happened. No way matic can match ba for pace
If Matic wasn't ball watching in the first place and aware where his man was, the first goal wouldn't happen, it has nothing to do with being slow or no, slow player can stop the play. Coach doesn't instruct player to be ball watching mate and in fact you can see from the post on this page show a picture where Phelan shout at Matic about the position of Demba Ba.

Chris Amesbury

Look where Luke Shaw is for the corner. Surely as a fullback and the corner is on the opposite side you help cover if the centre backs go up.
If you see the screen shot he is on the right side just outside their penalty area. Awol. Wtf. He is a liability and should not play for my local Sunday league team let alone United. Jose was right about him.

M16Red

Why are we pushing up full backs on both sides? It's crazy.

Plus Shaw needed to track his man, is it because he's not worried about being dropped or just not arsed about Ole's reaction.

dove

Tends to happen when players have no idea what they are supposed to do and the manager is glued to his seat.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? De Gea didn't? The management team didn't?

Or was this meant to happen? Which raises even more questions.
Never ever seen defending like it. Even my lad’s U12 never leave a man free at corners

Asger

This is unacceptable. Ole needs to go.
Yes he controls the players with Playstation remote, no wonder they can’t pass, have no brain as well. Alot of individual errors can’t be blamed on managers!