Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

The Hilton

Brilliant show, I enjoyed the whole lot, even Big Show vs QT was fine (every PPV needs a recovery match), but the tag team cage match stole the show.

Also, I know it's probably unpopular with some folks, but I think JR still brings a whole lot to commentary, and the show would be much worse off without him - he may not be vintage JR, but he still has the ability to make the big moments bigger that none of the others do.

Holocene

Brilliant show, I enjoyed the whole lot, even Big Show vs QT was fine (every PPV needs a recovery match), but the tag team cage match stole the show.

Also, I know it's probably unpopular with some folks, but I think JR still brings a whole lot to commentary, and the show would be much worse off without him - he may not be vintage JR, but he still has the ability to make the big moments bigger that none of the others do.
Completely agree. There is a really good balance on that commentary team.

I have to say, I cringed hard when he said "I'm not sure who is the legal man here or if this is a tornado tag" in the Bucks vs Lucha Bros cage match. It would have been bad enough at the start of the match. But the match was half way through...

The Hilton

Completely agree. There is a really good balance on that commentary team.

I have to say, I cringed hard when he said "I'm not sure who is the legal man here or if this is a tornado tag" in the Bucks vs Lucha Bros cage match. It would have been bad enough at the start of the match. But the match was half way through...
Yeah I get that, but it's a throwaway line really, I forgot about it almost immediately. For me his importance was underlined by Excalibur trying to sound angry about the Jericho MJF finish - it sounded so unnatural and forced (my biggest cringe of the night), whereas those are the moments that JR usually shines.

You summed it up perfectly, its a brilliantly balanced team, and they get better the more they work together.

Minkaro

Yeah I get that, but it's a throwaway line really, I forgot about it almost immediately. For me his importance was underlined by Excalibur trying to sound angry about the Jericho MJF finish - it sounded so unnatural and forced (my biggest cringe of the night), whereas those are the moments that JR usually shines.

You summed it up perfectly, its a brilliantly balanced team, and they get better the more they work together.
I agree that the execution wasn’t great, but I liked Excalibur apologising for Tony swearing earlier in the night, only to do it himself then.

Great show overall. Loved the double whammy ending (well, triple whammy counting Cole aligning with The Elite).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I don't mind J.R... BUT he does sound, well, dated (not his fault, he has been doing this for 30 odd years), and AEW is such a fresh/young/hip company.... sometimes I do wonder if someone else wouldn't be a better fit.

Ekeke

There might be a better video somewhere, this one is sideways... But still very interesting to listen to Punk, Danielson and Cole on their thoughts after the show

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Havent read this thread as Im watching it now, just finished the Cage tag match, and Holy feck! Just WOW!

b82REZ

The PPV has been very good so far.

AEW are undoubtedly accumulating a lot of good talent who will put on top matches.

Where they're failing themselves is in the production.

I started watching the cage match and they kept missing spots and the camera work seemed all over the place. In the Miro match they did the wrestlers no favours with the angles for a lot of the kicks and chops as it was showing they weren't really connecting.

It feels like a B+ product with an A+ lineup.

Ekeke

The PPV has been very good so far.

AEW are undoubtedly accumulating a lot of good talent who will put on top matches.

Where they're failing themselves is in the production.

I started watching the cage match and they kept missing spots and the camera work seemed all over the place. In the Miro match they did the wrestlers no favours with the angles for a lot of the kicks and chops as it was showing they weren't really connecting.

Its true sometimes they miss stuff. But I dont see another wrestling company that doesnt miss things, or annoy with far too many camera cuts etc. So if its B+ production, every other company is B+ or worse

JP77

Very good PPV. I'm not quite sure I'd be calling it one of the greatest of all time like I seem to be seeing online but it was definitely very good, the cage match being MOTN for me.

Punk's return has been a bit meh for me so far, it feels like it's in complete first gear and not really kick started yet. The return pop was absolutely immense but after that it's just kind of been 'there' and the match wasn't much to shout about, which is understandable in fairness after the amount of time he's spent out of the ring.

For what Jericho lacks nowadays in the ring now he's older he makes up for with his talking and character work, not many better than him around today when it comes to that.

The real challenge is if they can sustain the momentum once the honeymoon period is over and if they're still hitting the mark like this in a year etc. I think the focus for fans should move away from the stupid WWE vs AWE war stuff and just appreciate that we have a very hot company in AEW right now. Great wrestling is great wrestling TBH. We'll see where WWE go with NXT going forward and it'd be silly to completely write it off before it's even really begun but it's hard not to feel disheartened by them seemingly tearing it apart when it had been so brilliant for so long.

The Hilton

I don't mind J.R... BUT he does sound, well, dated (not his fault, he has been doing this for 30 odd years), and AEW is such a fresh/young/hip company.... sometimes I do wonder if someone else wouldn't be a better fit.
I guess maybe he does, but to be honest I think AEW needs that, the blend of styles on commentary works really well. Look at Punk v Darby being such a different style to what AEW usually serves up, that mix is what's gonna catapult the company to the next level.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really fun ppv that. Top to bottom certainly the best AEW has done in its short life so far.

Really enjoyed the Punk v Darby match. Punk looked really good I thought. Love the pacing of it and the storytelling aspect. Pretty old school.

Glad to see the Lucha Bros get their chance with the belts.

The double debut at the end was incredible. Had me grinning from ear to ear. Still think it will be Hangman who dethrones Kenny.

This is great too

edit: and this

Last edited:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Good PPV, great ending and really highlights how much WWE are fecking up by creating environments where you have big stars going over to your rival. The worry for AEW is that so many shiny new toys drown out some of the newer guys they're building. Like does Bryan Danielson get in the way of Hangman's story who really should be the one beating Kenny.

Also they should hire CFOS, so many shite entrance songs.

Sylar

I expected Bucks/Lucha Bros to be match of the night, and even then, it was better than I imagined. So happy for Lucha Brothers, they are great.

I still hope that even with all their shiny new toys that it's Page who ends Omega's reign
The worry for AEW is that so many shiny new toys drown out some of the newer guys they're building. Like does Bryan Danielson get in the way of Hangman's story who really should be the one beating Kenny.
I think Page to beat Omega should / will still be the plan. The whole story behind it is great.

Im guessing Bryan will end up facing Omega and losing (he has a habit of losing to people, like Cesaro earlier in the year)
Page then beating the man that beats all these guys will make him look even better.
Its great for Bryan he gets to have more flexibility in what hes doing also.
Adam Cole however is the big pickup given hes only just turned 32.

I get what you mean, but its so much better than WWEs seizure inducing camera cuts when people are punching, and the up and down camera on a beatdown.

The real challenge is if they can sustain the momentum once the honeymoon period is over and if they're still hitting the mark like this in a year etc. I think the focus for fans should move away from the stupid WWE vs AWE war stuff and just appreciate that we have a very hot company in AEW right now. Great wrestling is great wrestling TBH. We'll see where WWE go with NXT going forward and it'd be silly to completely write it off before it's even really begun but it's hard not to feel disheartened by them seemingly tearing it apart when it had been so brilliant for so long.
This is unfair, given AEW has been putting on a consistenly good product. The difference now is the likes of Bryan and Punk will get new eyeballs on it (and Cole to an extent I guess).
Tony Khan has been great for wrestling, and the product is basically 'lets make fans happy' but actually doing it. Aew has maybe had a few misses, but its been mostly hit after hit, with PPVs, Dynamite and even Rampage.
And of course the whole 'forbidden door'

Like this PPV. Paul Wight match was meh, but as a cool down, its ok, as it wasnt long and placed between two key matches.
Also the Jericho entrance was horrible. They really needed Rich Ward, instead of this guy. Im sure he missed a verse, and even when he was playing the chorus, it was really bad in terms of normal speed. The sound was too loud too. Shame as the idea was good, but execution wasnt.

However thats really minor. Punks return match was a lot of fun. And the major things were a real hit, the double debut at the end.

When wrestling is done right, its so damn awesome.

Name Changed

weso26
AEW are accumulating so much talent that the underutilised wrestlers of WWE are just going to become the underutilised wrestlers of AEW. There was some huge talent that didn't make the PPV.

Saying that, AEW is miles better than WWE. They need Vince to retire. I see he is taking over NXT now. That'll be their best brand ruined.

How long before the likes of Samoa Joe, Cesaro and Prince Devitt make the jump?

JP77

I expected Bucks/Lucha Bros to be match of the night, and even then, it was better than I imagined. So happy for Lucha Brothers, they are great.

I think Page to beat Omega should / will still be the plan. The whole story behind it is great.

Im guessing Bryan will end up facing Omega and losing (he has a habit of losing to people, like Cesaro earlier in the year)
Page then beating the man that beats all these guys will make him look even better.
Its great for Bryan he gets to have more flexibility in what hes doing also.
Adam Cole however is the big pickup given hes only just turned 32.

I get what you mean, but its so much better than WWEs seizure inducing camera cuts when people are punching, and the up and down camera on a beatdown.

This is unfair, given AEW has been putting on a consistenly good product. The difference now is the likes of Bryan and Punk will get new eyeballs on it (and Cole to an extent I guess).
Tony Khan has been great for wrestling, and the product is basically 'lets make fans happy' but actually doing it. Aew has maybe had a few misses, but its been mostly hit after hit, with PPVs, Dynamite and even Rampage.
And of course the whole 'forbidden door'

Like this PPV. Paul Wight match was meh, but as a cool down, its ok, as it wasnt long and placed between two key matches.
Also the Jericho entrance was horrible. They really needed Rich Ward, instead of this guy. Im sure he missed a verse, and even when he was playing the chorus, it was really bad in terms of normal speed. The sound was too loud too. Shame as the idea was good, but execution wasnt.

However thats really minor. Punks return match was a lot of fun. And the major things were a real hit, the double debut at the end.

When wrestling is done right, its so damn awesome.
Wasn't a knock on AEW, I do think they're in a real honeymoon period right now though and the true test will come way down the line by being able to sustain this level which is easier said than done at the top. There's so many interesting factors that will come down the line. The more they grow, the tougher it becomes. That's not a knock on them at all because I think they're producing at a very good level right now and personally I couldn't care about the AEW vs WWE stuff, I'd just like a consistently good to great wrestling product whether that's WWE, AEW, Japan, UK or anywhere and in fairness to AEW they're currently giving us that.

As you become a bigger juggernaut though the game begins to change and the challenges become much bigger though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
That was a better PPV than anything WWE have provided in a decade, from start to finish. Danielson, Punk, Cole, Omega, and loads more, the most stacked roster in a long long time.

choccy77

AEW won't ruin wrestlers like Vince does.

Vince's ego is beyond damaging, he has lost all clue about what fans (the real ones) want.

People care about history and win loss records and feuds etc.

When you think of the WWF Hulk era, the amount of people who were old skool behind in the office kept Vince in check.

Attitude era, Vince had no choice and had to go against his vision and now in the last 10 years specifically, you clearly see how Vince is without anyone reeling him in a little to product the product, it's just become an old mans cash cow sadly.

JP77

AEW won't ruin wrestlers like Vince does.

Vince's ego is beyond damaging, he has lost all clue about what fans (the real ones) want.

People care about history and win loss records and feuds etc.

When you think of the WWF Hulk era, the amount of people who were old skool behind in the office kept Vince in check.

Attitude era, Vince had no choice and had to go against his vision and now in the last 10 years specifically, you clearly see how Vince is without anyone reeling him in a little to product the product, it's just become an old mans cash cow sadly.
Vince has always been like this now, people's nostalgia just gets in the way of seeing it. 80's, 90's and 00's had plenty of bad stuff and questionable booking, matches and handling of talent. The attitude era is hands down my favourite era ever but I can openly admit that watching it back you see there was some terrible stuff that if you put it out today would get absolutely shat on.

AEW have a long way to go still. This isn't coming from somebody that doesn't like AEW or somebody that is pro WWE. I want them to succeed and do great, it's great for the business in general if they do. But there's a lot of giddy over the top reactions right now. Let's all enjoy it and love what they're doing when it's at a high level but let's not go too over the top. The idea that was a better PPV than anything the WWE has done for over a decade for example is OTT. It's understandable some of the reactions because people have been craving for a company like this to come along and not just challenge the WWE but give them a legit alternative to the WWE, which has become massively stale on the main roster.

choccy77

I've not watched this last AEW PPV as yet, but hopefully will tonight once i've watched Heels and Legends first of course.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That was a better PPV than anything WWE have provided in a decade, from start to finish. Danielson, Punk, Cole, Omega, and loads more, the most stacked roster in a long long time.
That's a massive hyperbole.

It was a fantastic ppv but steady.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
AEW are accumulating so much talent that the underutilised wrestlers of WWE are just going to become the underutilised wrestlers of AEW. There was some huge talent that didn't make the PPV.

Saying that, AEW is miles better than WWE. They need Vince to retire. I see he is taking over NXT now. That'll be their best brand ruined.

How long before the likes of Samoa Joe, Cesaro and Prince Devitt make the jump?
Those two just signed new contracts recently, so doubt they'll be going anywhere for a while (releases withstanding of course)

But yeah there's so much talent, not just in WWE, but in the whole world of wrestling... there's only so much room that AEW can offer. I wonder who the best level of wrestler is that AEW would pass on?

Sylar

Those two just signed new contracts recently, so doubt they'll be going anywhere for a while (releases withstanding of course)

But yeah there's so much talent, not just in WWE, but in the whole world of wrestling... there's only so much room that AEW can offer. I wonder who the best level of wrestler is that AEW would pass on?
The best thing is, AEW can pass on somebody (or not sign them), but that wrestler can still appear on Dynamite (if they arent in WWE) given the forbidden door being open.
We see Impact/TNA, NJPW, and other indy wrestlers coming and appearing.

I reckon Murphy should go to Japan. Hes one that will certainly be lost in the AEW roster. But in Japan i reckon a few year could do him a world of good, especially as hes only 32.

Vince has always been like this now, people's nostalgia just gets in the way of seeing it. 80's, 90's and 00's had plenty of bad stuff and questionable booking, matches and handling of talent. The attitude era is hands down my favourite era ever but I can openly admit that watching it back you see there was some terrible stuff that if you put it out today would get absolutely shat on.

AEW have a long way to go still. This isn't coming from somebody that doesn't like AEW or somebody that is pro WWE. I want them to succeed and do great, it's great for the business in general if they do. But there's a lot of giddy over the top reactions right now. Let's all enjoy it and love what they're doing when it's at a high level but let's not go too over the top. The idea that was a better PPV than anything the WWE has done for over a decade for example is OTT. It's understandable some of the reactions because people have been craving for a company like this to come along and not just challenge the WWE but give them a legit alternative to the WWE, which has become massively stale on the main roster.
Think the difference is the hogan era, attitude era, id even say ruthless aggression era, had more memorable good stuff than bad and not just the wrestling, but the stories we got or rise of some of the talent.

Right now, there isnt much stuff in WWE you would remember in about 5-10 years. Romans run. Beckys rise. Hmm. Its a struggle to think of anything in the last year or two thats been memorable otherwise except returns of people over 40. McIntyre and his pandemic run?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Think the difference is the hogan era, attitude era, id even say ruthless aggression era, had more memorable good stuff than bad and not just the wrestling, but the stories we got or rise of some of the talent.

Right now, there isnt much stuff in WWE you would remember in about 5-10 years. Romans run. Beckys rise. Hmm. Its a struggle to think of anything in the last year or two thats been memorable otherwise except returns of people over 40. McIntyre and his pandemic run?
Boneyard match!!

Other then that though, yeah, there isn't much... though not sure anyone will want to remember quarantine wrestling other then the novelty of it.

Before that though there was Kofi-mania - WWE are still capable of achieving big moments, problem is the story/booking around them usually leaves a lot to be desired - like Bianca's win at Mania this year. Great match, great moment - but the booking before that wasn't great, and her booking as champ hasn't been anything special.

JP77

The best thing is, AEW can pass on somebody (or not sign them), but that wrestler can still appear on Dynamite (if they arent in WWE) given the forbidden door being open.
We see Impact/TNA, NJPW, and other indy wrestlers coming and appearing.

I reckon Murphy should go to Japan. Hes one that will certainly be lost in the AEW roster. But in Japan i reckon a few year could do him a world of good, especially as hes only 32.

NXT has produced a lot of memorable feuds, stories and moments for sure as well.

I do think it's partly a nostalgia thing that plays a part though. I grew up throughout those eras you mentioned and was a teenager throughout the attitude era so to me that's my favourite era for the memories and of course some amazing stuff, wrestling was at a completely different height back then but so was the world and times in general. The thing is if us that watched throughout that era go back and watch it now (which I am) there's a good chunk of absolutely terrible stuff. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it because it brings back great memories, but it's still piss poor. Just finished KOTR 2000 on the network and if they put that out nowadays everybody would absolutely shit on it (main event all over the place, Briscoe/Patterson dressed as women having a fight ffs). The thing is, back then a lot of it worked for a good chunk of the audience, different times like I mentioned above. For all we know in 10-15 years the younger generation of today might be looking back feeling the exact way some of us feel about the attitude era etc, where they remember all of the good stuff and not a lot of the absolute rubbish of the last 5 years worth of product.

Obviously for me the old product was ten times better and even taking past products out of the equation, for me personally today's WWE is stale and possibly as bad as I can remember it in a long time apart from NXT. There's some great talent there and there's the odd good story or great character work here and there but a lot of the booking just isn't working and the weekly product isn't producing consistently. There's nothing what so ever that makes me feel like I have to tune into Raw or Smackdown every week. Reigns has had a great heel run IMO but that doesn't draw me in because the stories just aren't very good right now. Almost everybody just becomes another face in the crowd eventually. Three hours for Raw just doesn't work either IMO, it needs cutting down massively. One of the draws of NXT and AEW recently to keep you hooked weekly were the quality of in ring matches, the stories and booking. Raw is pretty much paint by numbers on the matches right now, it became a chore to sit through three hours of a similar thing every single week. If you're not going to give quality in ring product then focus big time on the story telling and character work or focus on the in ring product or even better idea, focus on all of them and deliver. Instead they're not really delivering on anything. Of course there's a diamond in among it all here and there (Reigns run, Becky's run a few years back, Edge return etc) but I don't think we get to appreciate them as much as we should because they're surrounded by so much rubbish.

I'm just rambling now :lol:

Ekeke

Its true that AEW is coming to the point where there isnt a place for new people/ex WWE stars etc

Personally I'd have Cole and Danielson as the last two. There isnt really anyone from WWE/NXT that I'd be excited to see turn up on AEW anyway. Not that they arent good wrestlers, but AEW has plenty of those and they arent needed unless they want to be on Dark and Elevation every week rather than Dynamite or Rampage.

I'd be far more interested in seeing Okada or Ibushi come in for some matches and then go back to NJPW after

Ladron de redcafe

It really isnt, its a personal call, and I can hand on heart honestly say that I enjoyed it more than anything wwe have put on in a decade.
That's axiomatic. Everyone's subjective opinion is just that...an opinion. It doesn't make it any less over the top.

If someone claims that Backlash of this was the greatest PPV in wrestling history, he can't answer people pointing out his hyperbole by stating something we already know....because it's irrelevant to the criticism.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
That's axiomatic. Everyone's subjective opinion is just that...an opinion. It doesn't make it any less over the top.

If someone claims that Backlash of this was the greatest PPV in wrestling history, he can't answer people pointing out his hyperbole by stating something we already know....because it's irrelevant to the criticism.
How is it over the top, you can in no way tell me that my preference for all out over anything the main roster of wwe has done in the last 10 years is over the top, its a fact, I did enjoy it more, for me, it was better.
But Ok, if you want to go down that road, what WWE ppv in the last ten years was better than all out?

Ekeke

How is it over the top, you can in no way tell me that my preference for all out over anything the main roster of wwe has done in the last 10 years is over the top, its a fact, I did enjoy it more, for me, it was better.
But Ok, if you want to go down that road, what WWE ppv in the last ten years was better than all out?
None for me. NJPW the Omega Okada ppvs are the competition not WWE. Maybe a Takeover

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
None for me. NJPW the omega okada ppvs are the competition not WWE
Spot on, Im not saying there were none I enjoyed, but every single one had at least one thing that made me think wtf? Destroyed the suspense of disbelief or just plain sucked, there was nothing last night. Just to be clear Im excluding NXT Takeovers, Ive enjoyed loads of those as much, mostly because they didnt have Vinces senile bloody minded old paws all over them until now.

Sylar

It really isnt, its a personal call, and I can hand on heart honestly say that I enjoyed it more than anything wwe have put on in a decade.
I certainly think its one of the best since 2010. I really enjoyed WM30, and MITB 2011 in terms of WWE.
And then Takeovers are just great but id put All Out against the best Takeover and you could say it a coin toss.

Its easy to say its hyperbole, but the All Out show really was fantastic. It had great wrestling, great matches, great moments and a hot crowd. Commentary was great too and the last ten minutes to close the show (id say endings normally are remembered the most) was brilliant.
WM30 and MITB2011 go along with that.

NXT has produced a lot of memorable feuds, stories and moments for sure as well.

I do think it's partly a nostalgia thing that plays a part though. I grew up throughout those eras you mentioned and was a teenager throughout the attitude era so to me that's my favourite era for the memories and of course some amazing stuff, wrestling was at a completely different height back then but so was the world and times in general. The thing is if us that watched throughout that era go back and watch it now (which I am) there's a good chunk of absolutely terrible stuff. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it because it brings back great memories, but it's still piss poor. Just finished KOTR 2000 on the network and if they put that out nowadays everybody would absolutely shit on it (main event all over the place, Briscoe/Patterson dressed as women having a fight ffs). The thing is, back then a lot of it worked for a good chunk of the audience, different times like I mentioned above. For all we know in 10-15 years the younger generation of today might be looking back feeling the exact way some of us feel about the attitude era etc, where they remember all of the good stuff and not a lot of the absolute rubbish of the last 5 years worth of product.

Obviously for me the old product was ten times better and even taking past products out of the equation, for me personally today's WWE is stale and possibly as bad as I can remember it in a long time apart from NXT. There's some great talent there and there's the odd good story or great character work here and there but a lot of the booking just isn't working and the weekly product isn't producing consistently. There's nothing what so ever that makes me feel like I have to tune into Raw or Smackdown every week. Reigns has had a great heel run IMO but that doesn't draw me in because the stories just aren't very good right now. Almost everybody just becomes another face in the crowd eventually. Three hours for Raw just doesn't work either IMO, it needs cutting down massively. One of the draws of NXT and AEW recently to keep you hooked weekly were the quality of in ring matches, the stories and booking. Raw is pretty much paint by numbers on the matches right now, it became a chore to sit through three hours of a similar thing every single week. If you're not going to give quality in ring product then focus big time on the story telling and character work or focus on the in ring product or even better idea, focus on all of them and deliver. Instead they're not really delivering on anything. Of course there's a diamond in among it all here and there (Reigns run, Becky's run a few years back, Edge return etc) but I don't think we get to appreciate them as much as we should because they're surrounded by so much rubbish.

I'm just rambling now :lol:
I dont think youre rambling, I like to read thoughts of posters (like yourself). I can see youre a fan, so its cool.

I think the issue with WWE, and going to my point, is that you have NXT going on parallel with it. So for example, you would have weekly NXT shows which culminate with Takeovers. You then have a takeover and then esp during NXT peak, a WWE PPV the next night.
It was almost night and day, with NXT having some great moments, whether it was Undisputed debut, some of the wild entrances, Nakamuras debut and then match with Sami, Wargames, Sasha/Bailey, etc.

Id say for the late 2010s, it was more a NXT era (given the people it made and then who transitioned over to the main roster, even if 90% was a failure)

I think we also dont enjoy WWE stuff as much as youre (well me) are pretty much thinking, how will they feck this up, which eventually happens.
See Summer of Punk, Nexus, Sting coming out at Survivor Series to get rid of the Authority (who then are back in power a few weeks later), even Angles 'son'. Heck even Dean Ambroses heel turn on Rollins.

Mystry

Friendship is magic

This so much. There's even been recent revision to opinions to that time period too. People read death of WCW and it was WCW was a mess and stupid, then WWE went into their own rewrite of that period and a counter happened that WCW wasn't that bad. AEW, probably egged on by Cody, seemed to go a bit WCW lite in the beginning, with these old NWA/WCW guys coming in, Schiavone on commentary(who while okay now was terrible back then) their production felt quite Nitro too in a way. It's what really put me off in the beginning. WCW was absolute shite but nostalgia seemed to get people excited just by some old PPV names. Yeah the cruiserweights and all that but it was such a minor part of the show. The odd moment in 10 years doesn't elevate a period. Even the NWO was really only exciting for a couple of months at best before it started going downhill, then it was just waiting for crow Sting to turn up a year later. Not even into 97 do things start going south during the 'hottest period' in wrestling. I'm not saying NWO wasn't popular but it wasn't good and beyond Hogan's initial turn how many moments can people name that are positive? And this is one the big defining things of that period.

WWE on the other hand at least had a load of good moments that you could list off during that period, but while the top of the card was stacked the undercard was largely bollocks. Tune into the main event stuff and its great, probably have some other great stuff on there too but there was a lot of crap, and generally great matches were in very short supply. Most popular period in wrestling, certainly, best period in wrestling, questionable. I will say that 2000 is great though, best year for wrestling when WWE got Jericho, Benoit, Eddie and the tag teams came through. Okay the odd few things like the thong stink face match at Summerslam are black spots, but 2000/early 2001 WWE was amazing and deserves all the praise it gets. But that's just 1 year and came right at the end.

And I went on a ramble too.

Ekeke

For me personally the only NXT story I cared about in the past 5 years or w/e (and I only started watching during the Asuka and Shinsuke NXT time) was the first Gargano and Ciampa match. Even that was watered down excitement for me because of Ciampa being injured and not having the match for so long, but that couldnt be helped since he injured himself doing the turn. I wanted to watch Shinsuke and Asuka because of their charisma, entrances and matches but didnt care about their storyline or opponent.

Despite not getting into any of the characters or storylines other than that, even then the NXT Takeovers were really good for straight up good matches. They were entertaining regardless of whether you were invested in the storyline. But its always better if you are invested.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Really enjoyed All Out on the whole BUT the women's division is in need of some serious attention. Ruby is a good addition as outside of Baker, Statlander, Rosa and Shida there's not a lot to work with, and while the battle royale was fun enough, it really does highlight the poor quality of a lot of their women's roster.

Wasn't a massive fan of the Jericho/MJF match. I thought for what was supposed to be on the line it was a bit of a dull affair. I think Jericho would be best hanging up his boots before long. Thought Miro/Kingston was slightly weak too.

Tag match was easily the best of the night, but I don't think there's a Lucha Bros match I've not really enjoyed.

Enjoyed Punk/Allin well enough, and given how long Punk has been out thought it was a good match.

Also enjoyed the main event, but I'm never going to be sold on Christian being a main event contender.

I agree that it was a good PPV, but certainly not the best I've seen in the last decade. Think there are a good few TakeOvers I enjoyed more.

Ladron de redcafe

It isn't a fact, though. That's the point.
The last 10 years of WWE? WrestleMania 28 and Wrestlemania 30 both blow this out of the water, in my opinion. And again, for the sake of consistency, that's an opinion. And I'm not going to present my opinion as a fact.