Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Ladron de redcafe

This so much. There's even been recent revision to opinions to that time period too. People read death of WCW and it was WCW was a mess and stupid, then WWE went into their own rewrite of that period and a counter happened that WCW wasn't that bad. AEW, probably egged on by Cody, seemed to go a bit WCW lite in the beginning, with these old NWA/WCW guys coming in, Schiavone on commentary(who while okay now was terrible back then) their production felt quite Nitro too in a way. It's what really put me off in the beginning. WCW was absolute shite but nostalgia seemed to get people excited just by some old PPV names. Yeah the cruiserweights and all that but it was such a minor part of the show. The odd moment in 10 years doesn't elevate a period. Even the NWO was really only exciting for a couple of months at best before it started going downhill, then it was just waiting for crow Sting to turn up a year later. Not even into 97 do things start going south during the 'hottest period' in wrestling. I'm not saying NWO wasn't popular but it wasn't good and beyond Hogan's initial turn how many moments can people name that are positive? And this is one the big defining things of that period.

WWE on the other hand at least had a load of good moments that you could list off during that period, but while the top of the card was stacked the undercard was largely bollocks. Tune into the main event stuff and its great, probably have some other great stuff on there too but there was a lot of crap, and generally great matches were in very short supply. Most popular period in wrestling, certainly, best period in wrestling, questionable. I will say that 2000 is great though, best year for wrestling when WWE got Jericho, Benoit, Eddie and the tag teams came through. Okay the odd few things like the thong stink face match at Summerslam are black spots, but 2000/early 2001 WWE was amazing and deserves all the praise it gets. But that's just 1 year and came right at the end.

And I went on a ramble too.
2000 was close to WWE's peak as they found consistent quality in both ppvs and in their weekly shows. Prior to that, Russo prioritized RAW and while I do feel that RAW was the best it's ever been during that period, some of the PPV matches were lacking.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It isn't a fact, though. That's the point.
The last 10 years of WWE? WrestleMania 28 and Wrestlemania 30 both blow this out of the water, in my opinion. And again, for the sake of consistency, that's an opinion. And I'm not going to present my opinion as a fact.
I think we've hit the point here where I suppose it is a "fact" that, in Sparky's opinon, it was the best PPV of the last decade, but, at the same time, obvious subjectivty can't be considered fact.

Personally, I enjoyed probably half a dozen if not more TakeOvers than All Out. Granted they had the benefit of filling a shorter timeslot so higher quality stuff was prioritised, but for me, the only real "wow" from All Out was the tag match. The debuts at the end were cool moments, but I think both were also pretty much a given, especially as they've both been blatantly hinted at for a few weeks.

Having looked and watched them all, I think I'd rate most, if not all, of the TakeOvers from Brookyln II in August 2016 to Portland in February 2020 (17 PPVs) at least as much as All Out, and the majority of them probably more. However, I do think the TakeOvers have (/had) an advantage in shorter timeslots meaning higher quality stuff being prioritised and also I think most (maybe all) were not proper PPVs as they were Network exclusives so they weren't needing to be value for $50 or whatever AEW PPVs cost in the States.

R.E.D.

I certainly think its one of the best since 2010. I really enjoyed WM30, and MITB 2011 in terms of WWE.
And then Takeovers are just great but id put All Out against the best Takeover and you could say it a coin toss.
OK here's the thing for me. If we want to talk about the feeling of the show, I think it's up there with every great PPVs in the history. Just because the crowd were into it and everybody were happy from start to finish. It was a happy show even before it started. We had the in ring return of Punk and debuts of Adam cole and Danielson. Like as a fan being in a show or watching it what else do you want? And they had other great debuts on top of it as well. So in terms of great moments it was fantastic, as I said up there with any other great PPVs. And it is a very important night in wrestling history as well because now it's officially a new chapter in wrestling history. AEW has always been great, but believe me there's a huge difference between Punk, Danielson and Cole with the talent that had to put on the show before like Matt Hardy. No insult to them but these are all timers talents. So I believe from now on with the addition of these 3 on top of a stacked roster that they already had, and with the forbidden door being open it will be new chapter in wrestling and it will be Great, really looking forward to the future.

So as I said great night with great moments and also a very very important night. But to me when I want to say wich PPV is better, for me what is important is quality of the matches from start to finish. In All Out you had the Cage match that was great. I heard Meltzer and Alvarez say it's the greatest cage match ever, for me that's easily Bret Vs Owen but certainly top two ever at least. Other than that what was spectacular on the card? Not that they were bad, no, very solid, very good matches but nothing spectacular. I can think of a lot of Takeovers that were easily much better than All Out with Great great matches from start to finish, even Takeover UK Cardiff was definitely better, I think every Wrestle Kingdom in the past few years have been much better with quality matches all over the card. I think WWE has had good PPVs in the past years, I can't watch a minute of a WWE PPV now but I think WM30 was good, SummerSlams were good a few years in a row around 2016, few good Rumbles here and there. And in terms of a great show with happy crowd I think WM33 was a very happy night as well. And in AEW history I think in terms of quality of the matches maybe All Out 2019 was slightly better. At least the Bucks Vs LB the ladder match was better than this one, since that their match was the only spectacular match on the card both nigts.

Zen

2000 was close to WWE's peak as they found consistent quality in both ppvs and in their weekly shows. Prior to that, Russo prioritized RAW and while I do feel that RAW was the best it's ever been during that period, some of the PPV matches were lacking.
Russo never got to Smackdown.... The real 'b-show' stuff didn't really start until post-Invasion either. But yeah the Rock-led late 99-WM17 was an immense time, and somehow, without Austin for the whole of 2000...I wonder if Austin would of helped Kurt, Angle, Benoit and even Trips in 2000 if he wasn't out, they all went to the next level under the Rock's time at the top.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It isn't a fact, though. That's the point.
The last 10 years of WWE? WrestleMania 28 and Wrestlemania 30 both blow this out of the water, in my opinion. And again, for the sake of consistency, that's an opinion. And I'm not going to present my opinion as a fact.
But it is a fact, the fact is I enjoyed that show more than anything the wwe has done in a decade, this is not up for debate, its not a point you can argue, you can't tell me I didn't. And that being the case for me it was better than anything they have done as I enjoyed it more.

Sylar

AEW are accumulating so much talent that the underutilised wrestlers of WWE are just going to become the underutilised wrestlers of AEW. There was some huge talent that didn't make the PPV.

Saying that, AEW is miles better than WWE. They need Vince to retire. I see he is taking over NXT now. That'll be their best brand ruined.

How long before the likes of Samoa Joe, Cesaro and Prince Devitt make the jump?
Well

Can see Owens staying with WWE however

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I can see him going. He's an indie guy who is close with a few AEW top guys and if you're a big WWE name I'm imagining the drop in pay to go to AEW is quite small or no drop at all.

Castia

Well

Can see Owens staying with WWE however
Owen’s is a family man with a lot of friends in AEW. The lite schedule of AEW must be a massive pull compared to what WWE are doing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I know I just banged on about the AEW roster being too full, but you kinda have to go after Owens and Zayn if they're available. Zayn in particular has never had that big face run in WWE, which he would excel at.

He'd also be good for a bit of diversity... one thing you can say about All Out is that is was very white (not Paul).

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I agree. I think AEW need to stockpiling talent, or they're going to have the same problem that WWE has, where talent is underused. But if Owens/Zayn are available. You go all out (pun intended) for them.

That's the time when you look at losing the likes of Matt Hardy, Big Show, Christian etc I would expect. Or at least move them to non-wrestling roles, or even let them go to Impact etc

After those two though, there are very few i'd take from WWE.

Renegade

the mens main event picture is stacked in AEW. What’s the ideal number you’d want?
attitude era was

Rock
Stone Cole
HHH
Kurt angle
Mankind
Undertaker

Kane,Jericho,Beniot and Eddie were slightly underneath if I remember correctly.

AEW have

Omega
Punk
Bryan
Cody
Moxley
Hangman

With Jericho,Darby,Christian,MJF,PAC,Miro and Andrade underneath.I don’t think you can add anymore to that.

Edit - Black and Adam Cole too

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
But it is a fact, the fact is I enjoyed that show more than anything the wwe has done in a decade, this is not up for debate, its not a point you can argue, you can't tell me I didn't. And that being the case for me it was better than anything they have done as I enjoyed it more.
You're arguing over semantics.

Anyone's subjective view of something cannot be considered fact, which is what they are arguing.

At the same time, your view that it was better than any (non-NXT) WWE show in the last decade can not be considered false, as it is your view.

Your initial post on the matter was phrased as a statement of fact and no reference to it being your opinion was present, which is where the argument started, but at this point it's quite clear what you mean.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just finished watching All Out and managed to stay spoiler free. Wow, what a show! That’s definitely the best AEW PPV and as good as anything I can remember in the last 20 years, up there with the very best NXT Takeovers. Some superb matches, great moments and real attention to detail too with some of the booking and match spots.

Somehow, despite the world expecting Bryan Danielson, they still managed to overdeliver and surprise everyone with the closing angle. We should have known Cole was coming to join The Elite. They pushed the heel tunnel concept twice earlier in the night!

I’m not a massive fan of Adam Cole and it was during his feud with Gargano with the forced epic main events that my interest dipped in NXT. Hopefully there’s more to enjoy here. I’ll have Danielson wrestling for 25 minutes against a different guy every single week though.

Massively excited for Dynamite and Rampage this week with two excellent main events already scheduled.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
You're arguing over semantics.

Anyone's subjective view of something cannot be considered fact, which is what they are arguing.

At the same time, your view that it was better than any (non-NXT) WWE show in the last decade can not be considered false, as it is your view.

Your initial post on the matter was phrased as a statement of fact and no reference to it being your opinion was present, which is where the argument started, but at this point it's quite clear what you mean.
Yeah Ill concede I could have been clearer :)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Massively excited for Dynamite and Rampage this week with two excellent main events already scheduled.
Yeah not sure what happens with the whole Pac / Andrade / Lucha Bros tug of war now. Always looked like Andrade was goona split the death triangle up but surely not now they've just won the tag team titles...?

Adcuth

Can deffo see Owen and Zayn jumping ship. Both deserve to be booked a lot better

Sylar

OK here's the thing for me. If we want to talk about the feeling of the show, I think it's up there with every great PPVs in the history. Just because the crowd were into it and everybody were happy from start to finish. It was a happy show even before it started. We had the in ring return of Punk and debuts of Adam cole and Danielson. Like as a fan being in a show or watching it what else do you want? And they had other great debuts on top of it as well. So in terms of great moments it was fantastic, as I said up there with any other great PPVs. And it is a very important night in wrestling history as well because now it's officially a new chapter in wrestling history. AEW has always been great, but believe me there's a huge difference between Punk, Danielson and Cole with the talent that had to put on the show before like Matt Hardy. No insult to them but these are all timers talents. So I believe from now on with the addition of these 3 on top of a stacked roster that they already had, and with the forbidden door being open it will be new chapter in wrestling and it will be Great, really looking forward to the future.

So as I said great night with great moments and also a very very important night. But to me when I want to say wich PPV is better, for me what is important is quality of the matches from start to finish. In All Out you had the Cage match that was great. I heard Meltzer and Alvarez say it's the greatest cage match ever, for me that's easily Bret Vs Owen but certainly top two ever at least. Other than that what was spectacular on the card? Not that they were bad, no, very solid, very good matches but nothing spectacular. I can think of a lot of Takeovers that were easily much better than All Out with Great great matches from start to finish, even Takeover UK Cardiff was definitely better, I think every Wrestle Kingdom in the past few years have been much better with quality matches all over the card. I think WWE has had good PPVs in the past years, I can't watch a minute of a WWE PPV now but I think WM30 was good, SummerSlams were good a few years in a row around 2016, few good Rumbles here and there. And in terms of a great show with happy crowd I think WM33 was a very happy night as well. And in AEW history I think in terms of quality of the matches maybe All Out 2019 was slightly better. At least the Bucks Vs LB the ladder match was better than this one, since that their match was the only spectacular match on the card both nigts.
See, id never have a go at somebody for saying its their best PPV in the last ten years, cos its obvious the point is its best to them. They personally enjoyed it.

Only way that can be argued is if its a statement based on measurable metrics (eg most popular - reviews, or most profitable - income, etc)

I can see him going. He's an indie guy who is close with a few AEW top guys and if you're a big WWE name I'm imagining the drop in pay to go to AEW is quite small or no drop at all.
Owen’s is a family man with a lot of friends in AEW. The lite schedule of AEW must be a massive pull compared to what WWE are doing.
I think given hes a family man, I can see him staying with WWE if they offer him more money than AEW.
in terms of schedule, WWE schedule now isnt grueling. Its what, one show a week. They hardly do house shows anymore, so its not like the 200 shows per year they used to do when TNA first got Television and were trying to get talent.

Wasnt this posted on 9th July, as opposed to 7th September? :lol:

Sylar

Yeah not sure what happens with the whole Pac / Andrade / Lucha Bros tug of war now. Always looked like Andrade was goona split the death triangle up but surely not now they've just won the tag team titles...?
Yeah, I was kinda certain they would have Lucha Brothers screw Pac, and join up with Andrade.
Lucha Brothers are at top popularity right now.
The only reason i could see them turning is to that JE can win it off them down the line.

Ekeke

AEW have far too big a roster as is. How are they going to be booked better?
Thats the issue now. At least Owens gets in the main event sometimes, although he loses to Roman etc. Sami might be the same positioning as WWE around the middle but with more fun and creativity. Its hard to see how Owens gets a bigger role in AEW than he has in WWE without causing problems for someone else's position in AEW. Maybe if Jericho does end up doing commentary when Owens is available that could free up a spot for him near the top

We saw it with Miro. It was obvious they were just doing something with him and keeping him looking strong until they had the space to push him in a big role. But people couldnt wait for one storyline with Kip and Penelope to start saying he was being wasted. Despite taking out tag teams himself, not losing and looking like a top heel. After the one angle he was pushed to the 2nd belt, which they dont consider a mid card belt so I guess its a main event position. So they wanted to, but he came in at a time when they werent ready for that.

My guess is some of the older guys start stepping away and doing commentary, full time trainer, coming in as managers or mentors to the other talent (and getting rid of some of the current managers) or doing stuff behind the scenes. Jericho, Dustin Rhodes, Daniels, Kazarian, Matt Hardy, Christian in a year or so and maybe some others. They can also send people out to Impact or NJPW for example. Maybe some of the younger guys who can get a push in Impact and get experience in a bigger role

Maybe someone like Ricky Starks, Wardlow, Hobbs, John Silver, Varsity Blondes etc could get in the title picture for the impact title or tag titles. Or the NWA ones.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
AEW's top guys right now; Omega, Punk, Bryan, Cole, Moxley, Cody, Christian, Jericho, Hangman, Black, MJF. Some might put Miro and Andrade there. I wouldn't. I think they're shite.

How to do you keep a dozen main eventers all busy on a two hour show? (Rampage is basically Sunday Night Heat. It's a waste putting main eventers on there).

Ekeke

AEW's top guys right now; Omega, Punk, Bryan, Cole, Moxley, Cody, Christian, Jericho, Hangman, Black, MJF. Some might put Miro and Andrade there. I wouldn't. I think they're shite.

How to do you keep a dozen main eventers all busy on a two hour show? (Rampage is basically Sunday Night Heat. It's a waste putting main eventers on there).
The same way you do it when they're working the indies. They arent all going for the title at once. They are allowed to have fun with their matches, characters, feuds and promos, so it doesnt matter if they're the champ or not.

Sylar

Its not that difficult. As you will have two or three going after the main title.
Somebody like Christian wont be after the main title now, and has a Impact title to defend whilst he can help with people like Jungle Boy.
Black is focused on nightmare family, so has a feud away from the title.

Pretty much all of them have a feud or an interest going on, and some if not all are linked with each other.

Its much better than having only three main eventers under 40 across three shows for five hours worth of tv.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Its not that difficult. As you will have two or three going after the main title.
Somebody like Christian wont be after the main title now, and has a Impact title to defend whilst he can help with people like Jungle Boy.
Black is focused on nightmare family, so has a feud away from the title.

Pretty much all of them have a feud or an interest going on, and some if not all are linked with each other.

Its much better than having only three main eventers under 40 across three shows for five hours worth of tv.
If it's written well then it can all work - same as WWE struggles these days.

The writing is more important than anything but they don't seem to get something so basic.

Sylar

If it's written well then it can all work - same as WWE struggles these days.

The writing is more important than anything but they don't seem to get something so basic.
Yep. Problem with WWE is its written for one man, and things change all the time and last minute, that there is never a payoff to storylines or even logic.

Also this made me laugh:

choccy77

So HHH had a cardiac event just announced

Not really a surprise considering his physic and bodybuilding days plus the roids.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Also explains why Vince wasn't at Raw

Castia

What did WWE do with AJ Styles? 2 years ago he was arguably the best wrestler on the planet but it feels likes he’s been thrown into the mid card and it’s a similar story for Seth Rollins as well.

choccy77

What did WWE do with AJ Styles? 2 years ago he was arguably the best wrestler on the planet but it feels likes he’s been thrown into the mid card and it’s a similar story for Seth Rollins as well.
Vince no doubts thinks they are too old and established enough that whenever he chooses they will suddenly be worthy of title runs

Sylar

I think what Choccy says
Vince no doubts thinks they are too old and established enough that whenever he chooses they will suddenly be worthy of title runs
Seth at least had a feud with Edge. AJ has been used to make Olmos a star.

choccy77

I wonder if HHH heart issues started when Vince told him he was taking over NXT and destroying all his excellent work.

choccy77

On another frustrating note, the audience for Heels was down again.

I don't get it as it is such a great show IMO but maybe if it was on at the same time of AEW PPV it might explain it somewhat.

Ekeke

The age old problem of people like Roman being the ones Vince wants on top.

For Seth though he lost the crowd when he was crying at the Fiend coming after him. So they turned him heel but his character since then hasn't been very interesting so he hasn't gone to the next level as a heel either

Ekeke

So for Dynamite this week I expect a bit of an increase, but its not going to suddenly be almost 2 million people or something. That might happen in the next 6 months over time, but tonight I think it'll be a bit up on normal and then in the coming weeks a bit more than that

Sylar

So for Dynamite this week I expect a bit of an increase, but its not going to suddenly be almost 2 million people or something. That might happen in the next 6 months over time, but tonight I think it'll be a bit up on normal and then in the coming weeks a bit more than that
1.4?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Don't mind Ekeke, he's just tempering expectations in case of a flop rating. A Dynamite on the back of one of the most well-regarded PPVs in the last couple of years with a debuting Adam Cole and Daniel Bryan (who main evented Wrestlemania a few months ago).

They would want to be doing a colossal rating. 1.4 is the minimum they should be doing.

Sylar

Don't mind Ekeke, he's just tempering expectations in case of a flop rating. A Dynamite on the back of one of the most well-regarded PPVs in the last couple of years with a debuting Adam Cole and Daniel Bryan (who main evented Wrestlemania a few months ago).

They would want to be doing a colossal rating. 1.4 is the minimum they should be doing.
No way, dynamite got 1.05 last week and that's been around the number they've been getting since nxt moved

I really can't see them getting more than a 350k increase based on one ppv whilst on TNT

Ekeke

WCW didnt suddenly do an extra 50% rating every week after Hall and Nash came in and Hogan was the 3rd man in the NWO, so why would AEW? Why would they do what others havent?

I expect 1.3 and climbing towards 1.5 in the next 6 months