Thomas Frank | Brentford Manager

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
One thing Brentford have going for them is that they are basically never spanked by anyone (before anyone points out that he hasn't had to deal with injuries we've had, he actually has faced it this season), which at least gives hope that it's due to Frank being a tactically capable coach which cannot be said about our current coach.

Leg-End

Manager in, buys one of this old players for over the top money (Toney).

Rinse and repeat formula.

RoyH1

Good post.

There is a sense of realism to consider, and this would be such a massive step up for him. But I do like his work, definitely, although this season was a bit of a worry..Brentford were poor for a bit, not so impressive. But, but... he will be stepping up to a larger club soon, that's inevitable. And he deserves a go at a bigger club.

Of course he is way ahead of Potter (just forget Southgate OK.. ).

Not sure he would be right for us. Maybe too much for him, right now. No shame in that.
Agree. Like someone above said, he'd be perfect for an Everton, Newcastle or Spurs kind of situation. The media spotlight on a United manager is enormous and unrelenting. You have half a dozen former United players as pundits commenting on every move you make.
He'd be better than Southgate though. Southgate could get us relegated after the honeymoon period wore off.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Never trust a man with two first names as their name.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Half of you lot would take McKenna but not Frank, who's done just as much as a equally better job.

diarm

because of one interview?

Jesus
It was a shocker of an interview.

I had never thought about him before it, and probably wouldn’t have thought much about him much after. It was an eye opener and he just comes across as a whiny geebag whenever I hear him speak ever since.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was a shocker of an interview.

I had never thought about him before it, and probably wouldn’t have thought much about him much after. It was an eye opener and he just comes across as a whiny geebag whenever I hear him speak ever since.
I doubt there is a manager in the game who hasnt had a bit of an emotional interview post game for one reason or another

diarm

Half of you lot would take McKenna but not Frank, who's done just as much as a equally better job.
He hasn’t though has he?

In his first full season as a manager, McKenna won automatic promotion from League 1. In his second, he won automatic promotion to the Premier League.

Frank finished 3rd and 4th in the Danish league with Brondby and failed to get Brentford promoted in his first full year there. He managed to get them into the prem via the playoffs in his second.

Castia

He hasn’t though has he?

In his first full season as a manager, McKenna won automatic promotion from League 1. In his second, he won automatic promotion to the Premier League.

Frank finished 3rd and 4th in the Danish league with Brondby and failed to get Brentford promoted in his first full year there. He managed to get them into the prem via the playoffs in his second.

Well keeping a team in the PL is the real test to see if you can manage at this level. A small team like Brentford have become PL regulars and not even in the conversation as relegation candidates, Frank needs respect for that

Chances on Ipswich going down next season will be very high

Enigma_87

You know who
One thing Brentford have going for them is that they are basically never spanked by anyone (before anyone points out that he hasn't had to deal with injuries we've had, he actually has faced it this season), which at least gives hope that it's due to Frank being a tactically capable coach which cannot be said about our current coach.
Depends on what do you consider as spanking.

I recall both Wolves and Newcastle giving them a proper beating, this or last season..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
McKenna winning back to back promotions, the second promotion against 3 of the strongest promotion candidates ever, is a much more impressive feat than anything Frank has done at Brentford. That's not to diminish Frank or his accomplishments but I think you're seriously underestimating the job McKenna's done with Ipswich.

Frank Grimes

This prick as Utd manager? Think I'd prefer Southgate.

Remember that time he went on a post match interview rant because United had the cheek to change tactics mid game and beat them. Only time I've ever seen a manager complain about the opposition trying to win. Nuts.

Enigma_87

You know who
McKenna winning back to back promotions, the second promotion against 3 of the strongest promotion candidates ever, is a much more impressive feat than anything Frank has done at Brentford. That's not to diminish Frank or his accomplishments but I think you're seriously underestimating the job McKenna's done with Ipswich.
Winning and succeeding at low level doesn't translate to managing one of the biggest clubs in the world where expectations are different and you are faced with much larger squads, more competitions to play in, boatload of egos etc.

iHicksy

Not to mention Mckenna took over Ipswich and transformed the way they played overnight. The football they play is much better than anything Thomas the Frank engine serves up.

diarm

Try to keep in mind while watching this clip, if you can, that we won the game 3-1.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Depends on what do you consider as spanking.

I recall both Wolves and Newcastle giving them a proper beating, this or last season..
Newcastle was almost two years ago, and Wolves you are right about, 4-1 this year (same scoreline Liverpool beat them by). It's still very rare for a team with those resources, and they usually hold up pretty well against good teams. We've had way more spankings over the last two seasons than them.

AltiUn

Winning and succeeding at low level doesn't translate to managing one of the biggest clubs in the world where expectations are different and you are faced with much larger squads, more competitions to play in, boatload of egos etc.
No it doesn't but that wasn't the point I was making.

Wilt

Can’t be serious? He’d be eaten alive at United.

Another who’s won feck all. Only claim to fame keeping Brentford from relegation.

Unimaginable the difference between managing Brentford and Manchester United.

Last edited:

flameinthesun

Hasn't won trophies but honestly I don't put much stock in that. The question is whether his tactics and way of playing would be suitable to United, or the new INEOS untied. I think from a pressing, aggression and attacking perspective he aligns with those requirements. However, asking him to come in and coach this team to press coherently with the likes of Rashford will always be an uphill battle. If we can provide him with some better players how suite his style/the new style we want to implement then no problems having him here. Might even give us an advantage in signing Toney if we are in for him.

Ludens the Red

Says a lot about INEOS that the three managers they’re testing the waters with are Potter, Southgate and Frank. This lack of thinking/looking outside the box is partly why we’re in the mess we’re in and these lot look to be no different.

Wilt

Says a lot about INEOS that the three managers they’re testing the waters with are Potter, Southgate and Frank. This lack of thinking/looking outside the box is partly why we’re in the mess we’re in and these lot look to be no different.
This.

Its fecking unbelievable.

AltiUn

I’m yet to see any of our most reliable sources say we’re after Southgate or Frank, Potter’s a fantastic manager, I get why the Chelsea spell might have put people off but whoever gets him is getting a really good manager.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Frank is outside the box, no ?
Tuchel, Flick, Enrique less so.

Castia

Taking a small team like Brentford to the PL and keeping them up in arguably its most competitive ever state is beyond anything McKenna would have been used to so far but yeah

Chances of Ipswich going down and McKenna sacked by January are probably very high

doubleohseven

Never trust a man with two first names as their name.
As somebody who has two first names for a name, even though my surname is actually a surname, I can confirm I am completely untrustworthy.

Ask the wife, who, thanks to me, also has two forenames for a name, even though her married surname is actually a surname.

Would not mind Frank as our coach if EtH leaves. Beats Southgate and Potter, but cannot see it leading too far.

Blood Mage

He's just another Nuno Santo. A solid mid-table manager nothing more, he'll get found out if he tries to make the step up to bigger clubs.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Holy feck people demeaning Frank while bigging up McKenna at the same time :lol:
He's done a fanstastic job at Brentford just as McKenna has at Ipswich so far. Next season will be a huge test for McKenna. Big difference between PL and Championship

Castia

Holy feck people demeaning Frank while bigging up McKenna at the same time :lol:
He's done a fanstastic job at Brentford just as McKenna has at Ipswich so far. Next season will be a huge test for McKenna. Big difference between PL and Championship
Yep it’s fecking mind boggling in all honesty

There won’t be a single Brentford fan willing to swap Frank for McKenna.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Says a lot about Ineos? Why… because Mike McGrath has gone 2+2=5 and written an “Exclusive!”? His diligence for this article seems to be Frank has some past with Brailsford.

All three of them are just people taking a manager and creating a reason why he could be the next United manager … “oooh, Southgate hasn’t signed a new England contract, Ratcliffe is lining him up for United!”. We’re always used for clicks, it’s an easy win for journalists.

Why would McGrath know what Ratcliffe/the rest are thinking? Why wouldn’t Ornstein (or even Whitwell) have said something? Because they don’t do clickbait pieces.

And for thinking outside the box, “these lot” got Berrada. How many people knew Berrada was coming or even thought it possible? No one.

Could Frank be an option, yeah I’m sure but I don’t think McGrath knows jack.