Thomas Frank | Brentford Manager

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The coaches we’re getting heavily linked with are England/Premier League based. It concerns me that we don’t appear to be looking more afar. You’d also hope this isn’t the case when it comes to signing players.

Come on now, yes United have click bait pieces but we’ve all done this dance before. We know nothing is secret, we know United test the waters when it comes to bringing in managers/players. We see this stuff get leaked. We saw it with Ten Hag and Poch, we saw it with Arnautovic. If Ten Hag is sacked it will with absolute certainty be one of these names we are getting linked with who replaces him. There won’t be some surprise candidate popping up.
I don’t think we do know United always test the waters, anything possible about United is turned into clickbait and we’re linked with every manager and player going. But, if we ever did, that was the past and “this lot” aren’t the Glazers. Ratcliffe doesn’t strike me as someone who does business in public (i.e. Berrada).. he has people due diligence, gets what he thinks is the best fit (available) and cracks on. I don’t know why people try and lump him/Ineos in with the Glazers, they’re nothing alike.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
On a tactical level, I think he is one of the best managers in the game. Brentford is always so prepared, so organized defensively both when deep and when pressing, so good and clearly well drilled on set pieces, throw ins, and other specific game situations. He obviously hasn't managed a more progressive side but its clear to me that he is one of these managers that focuses on every single detail and has thought about the game very deeply in order to try to give his side every possible advantage. I wouldn't bet against his ability to craft a very good possession-based side just by applying the same kind of focus-on-every-detail approach and mental understanding of the game to a different kind of squad with a higher technical and talent level.

No idea really how he would handle all the other aspects of being Manchester United manager.

Teja

Can we get a Thomas Frank poll going in the United forum @mods? I'm curious how many would be for hiring Frank or outright against it.
The wording needs to be good on this one. I need a "not my first choice but wouldn't mind him" option. Or something that says I definitely prefer this guy over Southgate option.

Jev

Absolutely insane how much people hate this guy because of one interview years ago. He’s possibly the nicest, most humble manager in the league. That said, I do think it’s a step too far. At least McKenna has been around a huge club before.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
The post match interview is a tedious chore to fill some airtime.

No manager with an ounce of sense is going to say something that will hurt morale or give upcoming opposition the tiniest tactical help.

Bertie Wooster

I've never warmed to Thomas Frank at all. He may be a really nice person, but he comes across as quite a cocky prick to me and he's not someone I'd choose as our next manager.

He's also in the group that would be a gamble, given their lack of big club experience / silverware, so surprised to see him linked with Bayern as well. I can't imagine many managers finishing 16th in the PL get linked to clubs like United and Bayern too often.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why would Bayern go anywhere near this guy? If it was between him and De Zerbi then De Zerbi wins.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Why are we even considering this guy? Other 3 makes sense, but i just cant understand why this guy?

Robbie Boy

I'm sure the ardent 'anyone but ETH brigade' will spin the Frank links into a positive.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We had a shocking season and Ten Hag couldn't really complain if he got the sack... so let's bring in the bloke who would have been relegated if it wasn't for the worst set of three promoted clubs in PL history.

BorisManUtd

I don't want Frank as our now manager. But links aren't that unusual. Brentford should've had 14 more points according to xG (I know some don't care about those kind of stats). Outplayed us both times this season, beat us 4-0 last season and completely outplayed us in 21/22 at their ground in first half. Were 9th last season with 59 points. Basically they've been performing well ever since getting promoted in 2021. Is Frank good enough for United and Chelsea? Don't know but those clubs being reportedly interested in him is based on the job he's been doing at Brentford for years now.

ROFLUTION

He sounds very full of himself when speaking imo. Maybe it’s just the way he looks, but there’s a bit of poshness about the way he applies himself.

Id totally hate to have him here

NoPace

Why are we even considering this guy? Other 3 makes sense, but i just cant understand why this guy?
I think Frank is probably getting attention from United and Chelsea and Bayern, because he's done pretty well at Brentford (9th is great for them, 13th is solid and 16th is meh but they had a ton of injuries this year) and Brentford are sort of the counter-attacking/tactically flexible version of Brighton (good possession, don't spend a ton relative to results, developed players well), so the fact he's kept his job there and done okay probably appeals to front offices (that's what we call them in North America, do we have a term for DOF and all the other football execs?) who want a coach who will do okay in that structure.

But my guess is it's more likely he just ends up getting a decent foreign job.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's helped Brentford punch well above their weight for a long time, he deserves an opportunity at a bigger club. He'd be much lower on my list than others, but he's a decent candidate.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Apparently one of the two remaining candidates for the Chelsea job, not exactly inspiring if you’re a Chelsea fan IMO

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently one of the two remaining candidates for the Chelsea job, not exactly inspiring if you’re a Chelsea fan IMO
The other is supposedly De Zerbi, who I’m pretty sure is the guy who ends up Chelsea’s next manager. There’s nothing even remotely appealing about Thomas Frank at Chelsea.

Edit: just seen Ornstein’s tweet. It’s Maresca and Frank. My gut feeling still says it’s De Zerbi.