Thomas Meunier

Mcking

The thing with Wan-Bissaka is he is excellent one-on-one, so he is going to have top stats, but his all-round game is still underwhelming. He is not yet the kind of fullback a top club should be paying a record fee for. I don't know how many times we have to pay top money for limited and technically unsophisticated players before we realize that we are being left behind.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
All the PSG fans want to get rid of him, because he is awful in their eyes.. I can't stand how some of you think he could be good addition here.

arthurka

Everton always seem to have better full-backs than us.

Coleman & Baines were an excellent pair for so long, Meunier & Digne will be tasty too.

We have to sign Meunier imo (Wan Bissaka is everyone’s flavour of the month, good talent but hardly mesmerising going forward).
Thats such a big word, remember when we had Evra and they had Hibbert?

AJ10

A young player for stupid amount of money or Continuing United's tradition of playing Wingers at FB.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Feel like we’re back a square one reading this thread now, both will probably turn out shite

Mark Pawelek

Prefer this transfer to AWB.
He'll be an immediate upgrade on RB, good in attack and defence and only 28 next season. AWB is good but I fear he'll block the progress of Dalot or even Laird.
If you don't want to block Dalot and Laird, don't buy Meunier.
I am fully on board with this. Just the right age and profile if Ole is going to buy young uns in other areas.
Him and Toby should give us some experience at the back, plus Meuniers a red. Perfect.
Just the right age is 4 years younger: 22, 23, 24. Old enough to have enough experience and stay with the club for 10 years.
I can't see a need for experienced players unless they lead on the pitch and dressing room.
I have nothing against Meunier, but we have 3 right-sided fullbacks (even after 1 leaves this summer!) I need to see Darmian or Young leave before I'm happy buying another!
If he were a left-footed, left fullback I'd agree with everything his fans wrote.

Still trying to figure out why people want him. I'm happy developing Dalot, keeping Young for backup (on left and right), and selling Darmian.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If you could pick any right back in the world, of course you wouldn't pick Meunier. But, United haven't got unlimited funds and have some major surgery to do in the squad in other areas. They also have some very talented young right backs.

If United spend £70m on Wan Bissaka and he starts poorly, the pressure on him will be immense. If it takes him 12 months to settle at the club (which is far from unlikely for a young player with a big price tag), their options for big games are another kid in Dalot and Young.

You need to be able to blood young players carefully and accept that their form will fluctuate. Having kids as the only option for one position is LVG level nonsensical squad planning. An experienced international who has played for a big club already would be extremely useful.
There are still superior players we can get than cant defend Meunier.

I'd rather we target bringing back Rafael back from Lyon. Than buying Meunier

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Feel like we’re back a square one reading this thread now, both will probably turn out shite
:lol: I don’t know what to think now. TM was hyped on here, I guess due in part to being a fan.

But if he can’t defend, then we might as well stick Dalot there...

Arka_BleedingRed

AWB looks he has great defensive instinct and is very good in one-on-one's, but he lacks proper technical skills in terms of passing, ball playing and composure. Which isn't going to improve much in the long term. Plus, he is going to cost not less than 50-60 Million pounds. Meunier is much cheaper at around 25M, is great attacking wise, has experience at a top club, and wouldn't hamper the growth of our talented RBs.

Loublaze

ATLien
Man, the best fullbacks are either two-way or pretty good in attack, forget being a 'beast' defensively. TAA is one of the best fullbacks in attack out there and for that, he will always be rated ahead of AWB unless AWB somehow drastically improves his attacking game.
Kimmich, Robertson, Cancelo, Marcelo, Carvajal, Alba, Alaba are highly rated because of their attacking game moreso than their defensive game. Then there's the likes of Lahm, Cafu, Carlos, Evra, Alves. You rarely see anyone praising their defensive game moreso than their attacking game.
Attacking capabilities trumps everything provided the FB is no slouch at defending.

Perhaps ‘flavour of the month’ was the wrong description - but the hype is a bit crazy atm. I was very impressed when I saw his performances, but I feel we need more attacking presence from RB though, all top teams have great weapons in full-back areas.

Meunier and later Dalot (if he develops into the player I hope) is a much better option in my eyes than AWB - especially for £60m!

If AWB was less than half of that then he’d be worth a punt. £60m? You’re having a laugh.

If we don’t sign Meunier for £25m we’ll regret it while he thrives at Everton - mark my words.
I hear what you guys are saying but I still think signing AWB will be more beneficial for the long term. Dalot still looks raw but he's looked decent as an auxiliary RW. I'd like to see those two compete for a place, and it would be good to have two young fullbacks who provide something different on both ends of the pitch. If Crystal Palace don't lower their demands we should look elsewhere as we have other areas on the pitch to improve this window.

I think Meunier is just using United and other clubs to secure a (more lucrative) extension, we've been down this road before but we'll see how it pans out. For the part in bold, there's no way you can guarantee that, he might not even take well to English football or take time to acclimate. Meunier doesn't seem to be highly rated by a large section of PSG fans and he's considered a defensive liability.

I have no idea if they're being harsh (maybe has something to do with him being Belgian) but I don't see the point in signing a defensively poor RB when we already have one who needs a lot of work in this area. AWB or a more balanced fullback would be a better option IMO. For what its worth I don't think Ole sees Dalot as a future RB otherwise he wouldn't have entertained the idea of signing another young RB with more experience unless AWB is being looked at to merely provide depth which I can't see. If AWB signs he'll be ahead of Dalot without a doubt.

AWB looks he has great defensive instinct and is very good in one-on-one's, but he lacks proper technical skills in terms of passing, ball playing and composure. Which isn't going to improve much in the long term. Plus, he is going to cost not less than 50-60 Million pounds. Meunier is much cheaper at around 25M, is great attacking wise, has experience at a top club, and wouldn't hamper the growth of our talented RBs.
You would sign him for the reasons you outlined save for the bit about him not hindering the growth of others who might not even come good. If Dalot is good enough then Solskjaer should play him, he's only actually 5 months younger than TAA

Last edited:

The Nani

Nothing supports the myth Young does anything well or that AWB will ever be able to attack. Not statistics not eyes
Fixed. And you’re just chatting shit pointing at stats which don’t tell the whole story.

Meunier would go a long way toward fixing our inept right side which in and of itself would be a massive improvement. I don’t give two shits if he isn’t the best defender.

We already have one shite attacking fullback on the left. We’d be fools to add another on the right.

Have you ever even thought about the fact that the defense might not be under the gun so often if we had more threats on the pitch?

haram

Posted this in the Wan Bissaka thread, but as an example the on the ball play in the below match isn't anywhere close to being good enough.

He is a good player, but he is not what we need. Clearly a beast defensively, but on the ball he is lacking. It’s not just that game either.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Back this childish stuff again. Typical...

And you’re just chatting shit pointing at stats which don’t tell the whole story.
Its your fault line you have poor comprehension skills. Statistics are far from the only reason I and others highlight why Meunier is not the answer to our right back problem. But trutst you to only be fixated only Ashley Young and statistics, that you don't even have a valid ground to dispute. On top of idiotically pretending that NY argument ruses and falls on bloody Ashley young.

And that sir is the actually definition of chatting shit.

Meunier would go a long way toward fixing our inept right side which in and of itself would be a massive improvement. I don’t give two shits if he isn’t the best defender.
So what? All you do is keep reposting the same myth like it will magically become true after you repost it.

Have you ever even thought about the fact that the defense might not be under the gun so often if we had more threats on the pitch?
Am I supposed to take THIS question seriously?

First, We have played Dalot there and his literally the description of an attack first fullback. Has it been the solution?

Or one of the biggest problems is the ENTIRE RIGHT flank is dead. Both at right back (defending + attacking) and right winger/right forward? A problem that will stop ANY style of manager from playing consistent attacking football at United. A thing you in particular opposed the last time I brought it up.

So color me surprised when I see you here daring to ask me I 'ever even thought' of United having more threat on pitch....

Last edited:

Bojan11

If Wan Bissaka isn't good on the ball, then I hope we stay away.
That’s my issue. We already got Shaw and he isn’t productive enough. We don’t need another one. If we had a more attacking fullback than Shaw on the left side than I’d be all over AWB.

But I’d take any of Meunier and AWB ahead of what we got now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That’s my issue. We already got Shaw and he isn’t productive enough. We don’t need another one. If we had a more attacking fullback than Shaw on the left side than I’d be all over AWB.

We don't carry enough threat from our fullbacks which is a huge concern. I just hope we sign someone that is gonna be good going forward.

Arka_BleedingRed

Luke's attacking output may need improving, but he is 10 times better than AWB on the ball and technically. Other than that, I agree with you that Meunier would be enough improvement on Young.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We signed a right back last season, we just need to play him instead of Ashley cnuting Young. Why we're still in the market for a RB when he haven't played the one we bought last year genuinely confuses me, especially when you think of all the positions that actually do need addressing.

Loublaze

ATLien
We signed a right back last season, we just need to play him instead of Ashley cnuting Young. Why we're still in the market for a RB when he haven't played the one we bought last year genuinely confuses me, especially when you think of all the positions that actually do need addressing.
He's been played, just not much in his natural position. I don't think Ole sees him as a traditional right back and is looking at a proven and experienced player

Nick7

Dalot can't defend and was a liability at right back when he did play there last season.

Red_toad

If Wan Bissaka isn't good on the ball, then I hope we stay away.
Seems to have that Smalling requirement to look at where he's going to pass and then turn his body prior to completing the pass vibe about him. And also a very good defender.

Allas8

This is what Solskjaer said 20.4.19

'I don't think you can expect six players coming in - I know there won't be six players coming in,' said the Norwegian. 'We can't just take players in because we need a body.

'Mason Greenwood is a player for me - he is 17 and I want to give him the chance to become a top player at this club.

'It's the same with Marcus Rashford at 21 and Diogo Dalot at 20. These players are going to get a chance and that is going to affect players who are at the other end of their careers.

'It means you don't want too many changes with signings and you have to say to players at the other end of their careers: "I don't think you're for me".'

We are not signing Meunier.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't see the problem. Dalot is neither shite nor a dead cert. Whether we sign Meunier or AWB or nobody Dalot will still get games since he's versatile and can fill in in either flank or on the wing. I'd actually very much like to have the option of playing someone at LB to give Shaw a kick up the arse from time to time. Meunier has an age and experience that should be good for the young players to learn from and hopefully step up and take his spot in a couple of years. But I could also certainly see the sense in buying a proper defender like AWB given how shite a lot of our defenders are in what should be their primary responsibility.

AllezLesDiables

Some strange hate for Meunier. He provides an important attacking component for the Belgian NT.

That being said Belgium has been playing a 3-4-3 which would give extra defensive protection and give Meunier more attacking freedom.

The problem here is that there too many holes that need fixing. Meunier is a stop gap option that would allow a hole to be fixed and allow money to be spent elsewhere.

SteveW

Meunier would take young out of the team and be able to provide good cover on both sides once Dalot/Laird come up to scratch.

Would make much more sense that buying a big money right back. Laird looks the real deal imo. Just a matter of time.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Even if he's not the best in the world, he's still significantly better than what we have. Lots of club and international experience, and at a ridiculously good fee (wages probably decent as well). Oh, and he also actually a fan of the club...What's the negative side of this transfer exactly?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The source is a Brussels based newspaper that has been in existence since 1906.

Santos J

Would be happy if true. Good fee, supports us, significant improvement on what we have and at a good age to not hinder Dalot's progression.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Even if he's not the best in the world, he's still significantly better than what we have. Lots of club and international experience, and at a ridiculously good fee (wages probably decent as well). Oh, and he also actually a fan of the club...What's the negative side of this transfer exactly?
Our right flank will continue to have nobody that can defend properly.