Thomas Meunier

redshaw

Should be getting him in. He and Dalot can play lots of games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Meniuer is a good attacking right back.
If we really could get him for 25m it looks good.
Instead of a minimum of double that on a guy a year older than dalot thus totally clogging his way into the lineup

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We want to complete the deal quickly according to the newspaper for £22m.

NoMidfielders

Disappointing, he's alright but far from top class and will need replacing in 2 years if we want to compete with the top clubs who now have world class players in pretty much every position.

Suv666

I think this would prove to be a bargain. As much as I like AWB the game has moved on and fullbacks have to be more offensive now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally speaking this summer has seen us linked with a lot of young players to replace some of our most experienced (De Gea, Herrera, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku, etc.). Whoever we sign for RB would be taking the place of our most experienced player and probable club captain.

I know the caf's collective opinion is that anyone over the age of 27 is too old but really it's about balance. We need to have some experienced players in the side. If we're signing younger players everywhere else and we already have not one but two high-prospect youngsters we want to give chances to at RB then signing another youngster like AWB simply doesn't make sense for the profile of the squad. That's without going into any detail about flaws in AWB's own game.

I don't think Meunier is a particularly outstanding fullback but few are. He is good enough to act as a bridge between our current too-old and too-young fullbacks though. While being a good profile in terms of price, work rate, ability going forward, etc. A nice, easy, low risk signing that plugs a gap in the side.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Said it a bunch of times but this one makes way more sense than Wan Bissaka right now. Would be happy with either of course, but only 20 or 25m for Meunier, hes a lot better going forward so it gives us a right sided threat, he's versatile and at an age that's perfect for Dalot to develop. Awb just kinda means we write off Dalot as a future starter

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Said it a bunch of times but this one makes way more sense than Wan Bissaka right now. Would be happy with either of course, but only 20 or 25m for Meunier, hes a lot better going forward so it gives us a right sided threat, he's versatile and at an age that's perfect for Dalot to develop. Awb just kinda means we write off Dalot as a future starter
While paying a lot more for the privilege of doing so. Money that could probably be better spent elsewhere given we don't have unlimited resources.

Infra-red

I still have high hopes for Dalot, but he needs to develop the defensive side of his game - something that I believe will come with maturity.

Meunier would a sensible signing that can bridge the gap between the departing Valencia and the younger fullback talents we have at the club.

scoi

Disappointing, he's alright but far from top class and will need replacing in 2 years if we want to compete with the top clubs who now have world class players in pretty much every position.
Replacing in 2 years is ideal IMO.

We can't replace every weak area with a top class youngster this year, and 2 years gives Dalot and the youth prospects the time to step up.

Won't be disappointed if we overlook the likes of AWB for Meunier so the focus can be put on RW, CB and CM

NoMidfielders

Replacing in 2 years is ideal IMO.

We can't replace every weak area with a top class youngster this year, and 2 years gives Dalot and the youth prospects the time to step up.

Won't be disappointed if we overlook the likes of AWB for Meunier so the focus can be put on RW, CB and CM
I'd be much happier to see us go for Cancelo, unless we really have to go cheap at right back to afford our other targets. As I said in another post, PSG fans on their forum are celebrating that this guy is off.

Rista

Would be a much more sensible choice than spending fortune on a fullback and hoping we could teach him how to attack and get better on the ball. So much better than what we have, wouldn't block the development of the young players who will compete for the spot. If Meunier is really available on the cheap, it's a no brainer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Decent signing while I hope Dalot contunues to improve. Any signing that keeps Young out is a good one.

john moran

Perhaps by then Dalot might be ready to step up . They do , but we dont all the way along that back 4 . All need replacing with perhaps the exception of Lindelof . Shaw , Smalling and Bailley no more than a squad players at best . Young and Jones are not even that .

Womp

idiot
I'd be much happier to see us go for Cancelo, unless we really have to go cheap at right back to afford our other targets. As I said in another post, PSG fans on their forum are celebrating that this guy is off.
There'd be some on our forum that would be cheering if Pogba left. It's not always about a player's ability.

Beaucoup

Would be a much more sensible choice than spending fortune on a fullback and hoping we could teach him how to attack and get better on the ball. So much better than what we have, wouldn't block the development of the young players who will compete for the spot. If Meunier is really available on the cheap, it's a no brainer.
I agree, seasoned pro and a Utd fan, let’s not forget this is the easiest position to upgrade being as the bar has been set so low. Saves us a boatload of cash to blow in more important positions.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Calling it now, Meunier will be a fantastic player for us. Great going forward and loves the club just like our last great fullback, Uncle Pat. I have a good feeling about this one.

Suv666

When did everyone stop rating Meunier? Last season folks were clamouring for him

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not really seen much of him as I don't really watch much football anymore outside of United, what are his strengths/weaknesses? £25m in todays market seems like a steal, and definitely worth a risk.

Roboc7

He’s better than Young, not a great player though more of a rotation/backup for a good team. But will do until we can get someone better or if Dalot improves dramatically.

Dve

A bit up and down for PSG last season, while he was consistently good for Belgium. According to Whoscored, his most significant strength is key passes - exactly what Young is missing. I also like the fact that he´s 190cm - which is pretty rare for a side back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I hope you're right, but it seems a lot of them are referring to his defending and decision making
Well he's probably not all that good.

We don't actually need him to be all that good though. We already have two young and highly-talented RBs in Dalot and Laird, one of whom will hopefully supplant him in a few years anyway. We'd basically be paying 25m to bridge the gap between them being ready to do that and Ashley Young being our first choice RB. Which to my mind is a fine use of 25m.

Whereas PSG have different needs.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Hmm hope we hold off for a bit. Cancelo is reportedly unhappy at Juve.

Still rooting for Atal or even Lala but sadly no links with either

Devil may care

Good player with a great attitude IMO, and why are people saying he only has 2 years left? He only turns 28 in September. For the fee quoted he's a steal in this market and offers the kind of ready made FB we need who can help in attack and provide a platform for us to develop the two highly rated young RB's already at the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
While paying a lot more for the privilege of doing so. Money that could probably be better spent elsewhere given we don't have unlimited resources.
Yep. £60m for a right back that means our promising £20m player we bought last summer has no real route in our starting 11 (unless he benches the £60m player), or a 25m option who is at the right age and still a big improvement (and versatile) to be able to develop Dalot properly.

Defensively he isnt the greatest, but his attacking will be such a big plus to us, and he can run all day.

Makaveli1

Meunier and Rabiot both for 25 mill would be delish, can allow us to fill more holes this summer. His age isn't a worry for me, could give us a good 4 years and then we can replace if we need to. It's when we're paying tonnes for 28 year olds that's a problem.

Last edited:

beingshe7don

Meunier coming in can only mean that Young won't be the starting RB next season.

CM

Meunier for €25m would be a great transfer. Cancelo might be the better player but there's no guarantee he'll leave Juve or even want to come here if he does.

We've got so much business to do this summer as well, I don't think RB is the position we need to be shelling out big money on.

SteveW

Yep. £60m for a right back that means our promising £20m player we bought last summer has no real route in our starting 11 (unless he benches the £60m player), or a 25m option who is at the right age and still a big improvement (and versatile) to be able to develop Dalot properly.

Defensively he isnt the greatest, but his attacking will be such a big plus to us, and he can run all day.
Not to mention also blocking Laird who looks an absolutely fantastic prospect. Theres absolutely no need to spend big money on that position right now. Meunier can also cover at LB to give Shaw a break