Thomas Meunier

Canagel

Cancelo is better and 4 years younger. I'll rather spend extra on him.

Last edited:

Tibs

A wheelie bin is an improvement on Young so anyone we get it a result

Lee565

Would take him over what we have but still think we would be lacking ambition in settling for him, there is better out there that we can acquire.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Cancelo is the only player I’d want to shift Dalot out of the team for. I was hoping the AWB stuff was nonsense, but I could see us signing Meunier. As long as we just don’t see Young there anymore I’m not bothered.

The United

I am just surprised a bit that people here rate Dalot a lot on RB/RWB position. Whenever he played there last season, he was pretty bad most of the time. So, I am not sure what people are based on with their rating on him.

Of course, he will improve you hope. But, I am not sure if it will be at RB or RWB position.

I suppose overrating our own is better than underrating and shitting on them all the time. For sure.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Would take him over what we have but still think we would be lacking ambition in settling for him, there is better out there that we can acquire.
It’s not a lack of ambition. He’s a very good player available for a steal. That means we will have additional funds to spend elsewhere and it gives time for Dalot to develop properly. It would be a really shrewd bit of business.

The Nani

I am just surprised a bit that people here rate Dalot a lot on RB/RWB position. Whenever he played there last season, he was pretty bad most of the time. So, I am not sure what people are based on with their rating on him.

Of course, he will improve you hope. But, I am not sure if it will be at RB or RWB position.

I suppose overrating our own is better than underrating and shitting on them all the time. For sure.
I’ll be honest. After seeing how poor he was defensively against his own age group in the U20 WC, I just don’t even see him as a fullback anymore.

Maybe Ole doesn’t either.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What about dalot and laird then?

Meunier perfect for the job we need.

hobbers

Cancelo should be the main target if that deal is remotely possible, but Meunier would definitely be my top fall back option.

Guapa

Cancelo yes, Munier no. But I fear it will be the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Spending more on one position means spending less on others though. I don't see why we would spend that extra money on RB of all positions when we have not one but two highly rated young players to bring through over the next few years.

Spending more for Cancelo would get us the better fullback but it might not lead to the most improvement in the side overall.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What about dalot and laird then?

Meunier perfect for the job we need.
The brutal truth is that it is highly unlikely that Dalot or Laird will be good enough. If a top class player is available then we need to go for them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd like to know why people want Munier and not Trippier. They're both equally brainless at the back.

SteveW

The brutal truth is that it is highly unlikely that Dalot or Laird will be good enough. If a top class player is available then we need to go for them.
What makes you think Laird wont make it?

SteveW

Don’t get me wrong, I 100% hope he does, but statistically speaking it’s unlikely that he will make it at United.
Thought that's what you meant.

I think it's actually quite unlikely that neither makes it. Dalot has been up til recently considered arguably the best talent of his age group in Portugal and Laird is the best full back prospect to come through the academy in as long as I can remember. They both just need to be developed properly. Considering we need players in other key positions and also lack cover at LB signing Meunier would make more sense. Sign AWB and we'd still need another LB imo.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Thought that's what you meant.

I think it's actually quite unlikely that neither makes it. Dalot has been up til recently considered arguably the best talent of his age group in Portugal and Laird is the best full back prospect to come through the academy in as long as I can remember. They both just need to be developed properly. Considering we need players in other key positions and also lack cover at LB signing Meunier would make more sense. Sign AWB and we'd still need another LB imo.
Joe Riley was pretty highly rated wasn't he? As was CBJ? I can't say I watch the reserves regularly but if you're honest, can you say he was significantly better than these guys at this level?

SteveW

Joe Riley was pretty highly rated wasn't he? As was CBJ? I can't say I watch the reserves regularly but if you're honest, can you say he was significantly better than these guys at this level?
Nah. Neither was rated by regular watchers. Both were really average and just got noticed due to that mad spell under LVG were he threw random kids into the team.

Laird is miles better than either of those

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Nah. Neither was rated by regular watchers. Both were really average and just got noticed due to that mad spell under LVG were he threw random kids into the team.

Fair enough mate, I hope he's as good as what I'm hearing and most importantly if he is, he gets a chance.

Loublaze

ATLien

Riley was not considered average, maybe your memory is eluding you. Some were even advocating for him to be a LW because of his pace and his dribbling ability

SteveW

Riley was not considered average, maybe your memory is eluding you. Some were even advocating for him to be a LW because of his pace and his dribbling ability
Some.

Those with a clue didn't rate him.

SteveW

Some of the most regular youth watchers rated him, and he looked lively in the few appearances he made in the first team.
Like who? I'd be surprised to find many knowledgeable posters who thought he had a chance here.

SteveW

Like @khoazany and a few others. He was subject to a lot of praise on here when he was 17-18
When I watch the academy and reserves I see which ones have a chance and kind of zone out the others pretty quickly. Theres usually only a couple that are of any real interest and you end up watching them closely and knowing their games pretty well. The others you'd just kind of ignore. I'd struggle to pick Joe Riley out of a lineup to be totally honest. I couldn't tell you anything about his game other than he played a couple of times for LVG and didn't do anything terrible. I couldn't tell you his strengths and weaknesses. I honestly dont remember anything about him because he never had a chance here and therefore wasnt of interest.

If a couple of people got excited when he played in the first team and didn't shit himself that's their issue. Players like CBJ, McNair, Blackett, Riley were ones that got a chance for little reason other than being in the right place at the right time.

PvsNP

It'd be weird if we are getting him over AWB. He's a cheaper option sure, but we need quality.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It'd be weird if we are getting him over AWB. He's a cheaper option sure, but we need quality.
I think the club believe in Ethan Laird's ability and he will be given the opportunity to stake his claim. AWB isn't the best going forward according to many on here. In the modern game you can't have ultra defensive fullbacks. (Shaw/AWB)

EngimaMK

I love all the people crying out for Cancelo (I wonder if they just heard City want him?) or AWB instead. Have any of you actually wondered if Cancelo would want to come to us? Let's be honest City or Juventus are much more attractive to a player like him. Unless we completely break the bank for him (then you'll be crying that we didn't invest elsewhere) or spend all summer perusing him, only to fall at the last hurdle (then you'll cry that we didn't sign any RB better than what we have.

I swear some of you lot think real life is football manager. Jesus wept.

Loublaze

ATLien
When I watch the academy and reserves I see which ones have a chance and kind of zone out the others pretty quickly. Theres usually only a couple that are of any real interest and you end up watching them closely and knowing their games pretty well. The others you'd just kind of ignore. I'd struggle to pick Joe Riley out of a lineup to be totally honest. I couldn't tell you anything about his game other than he played a couple of times for LVG and didn't do anything terrible. I couldn't tell you his strengths and weaknesses. I honestly dont remember anything about him because he never had a chance here and therefore wasnt of interest.

If a couple of people got excited when he played in the first team and didn't shit himself that's their issue. Players like CBJ, McNair, Blackett, Riley were ones that got a chance for little reason other than being in the right place at the right time.
You make it seem like only your opinion counts :lol:. He didn't make it in the end, but many had contradicting appraisals of his talent and skills.

2 assists for Croskery's goals vs. Everton made it 9 assists for him already this season.Coming along nicely.

He would be perfect for the wing-back role I reckon.Has pace,skills,engine and good close control.Defensively decent and isn't one-dimensional in attack like Valencia.He's a good RW as well but not good enough to make a top career out of it.

I was saying in the last game that I think he's a better prospect than Janko.Same attributes but Janko looks quite a headless chicken at times (not saying he can't improve on that).Look forward to see how he develops in the next few years.

His all round play and delivery into the box from wide areas, was brilliant yesterday. He plays really positively, gets us on the front foot and is difficult for the opposition to handle.

Gets more convincing with every game I see. Would love to see a real old fashioned winger like him come through in some ways

He's big and quick but is pretty light footed when moving with the ball, very comfortable debut.

Plays like the Andreas Pereira of fullbacks.

liked that debut a lot, CBJ's main threat has been his crossing, I believe, this guy could be his pace. Looks super quick. May be worth throwing him against midgetland; as I reckon CBJ will start against the Arse.

Really like the look of him. Seems to have intelligence to go with his physical attributes. Made some promising runs but Memphis etc didn't spot him.

The lad was a beast. Superb performance.

He looked promising, and some Daniel James like praise there. McTominay is not really much better than CBJ and McNair. He just got lucky as well that Mourinho chose him because of his height, the same way Blackett got in because he was left footed. McNair and CBJ actually showed some promise, Blackett too initially. Mourinho discarded them all including Riley when he came in. I think McTominay would've 'suffered' the same fate if LVG promoted him first.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/joe-riley.396015/

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
All managers will have to work within the constraints of a budget every window. One can only assume that financial priorities are elsewhere and Meunier will do in meeting the baseline.

Bwuk

You make it seem like only your opinion counts :lol:. He didn't make it in the end, but many had contradicting appraisals of his talent and skills.

2 assists for Croskery's goals vs. Everton made it 9 assists for him already this season.Coming along nicely.

He would be perfect for the wing-back role I reckon.Has pace,skills,engine and good close control.Defensively decent and isn't one-dimensional in attack like Valencia.He's a good RW as well but not good enough to make a top career out of it.

I was saying in the last game that I think he's a better prospect than Janko.Same attributes but Janko looks quite a headless chicken at times (not saying he can't improve on that).Look forward to see how he develops in the next few years.

His all round play and delivery into the box from wide areas, was brilliant yesterday. He plays really positively, gets us on the front foot and is difficult for the opposition to handle.

Gets more convincing with every game I see. Would love to see a real old fashioned winger like him come through in some ways

He's big and quick but is pretty light footed when moving with the ball, very comfortable debut.

Plays like the Andreas Pereira of fullbacks.

liked that debut a lot, CBJ's main threat has been his crossing, I believe, this guy could be his pace. Looks super quick. May be worth throwing him against midgetland; as I reckon CBJ will start against the Arse.

Really like the look of him. Seems to have intelligence to go with his physical attributes. Made some promising runs but Memphis etc didn't spot him.

The lad was a beast. Superb performance.

He looked promising, and some Daniel James like praise there. McTominay is not really much better than CBJ and McNair. He just got lucky as well that Mourinho chose him because of his height, the same way Blackett got in because he was left footed. McNair and CBJ actually showed some promise, Blackett too initially. Mourinho discarded them all including Riley when he came in. I think McTominay would've 'suffered' the same fate if LVG promoted him first.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/joe-riley.396015/
McTominay is miles ahead of McNair, CBJ, Blackett, Riley etc :lol:

You cannot be serious.

Loublaze

ATLien
McTominay is miles ahead of McNair, CBJ, Blackett, Riley etc :lol:

You cannot be serious.
Im serious. McTominay has been given the chance to develop that the others weren't once Mourinho came in especially. I firmly believe they're in a similar tier of talent. McTominay is a work horse and has a great attitude but he's nothing special. Your memory is failing you because all those players had a few standout games. CBJ had a peach of a cross and was very composed at the back and McNair even had a standout performance in midfield and in an FA cup game where he played with a head injury (he had his head stapled).

He got himself a bit of reputation as a hard man after that. Riley had a very positive start at United and he was a skillful player with pace. McTominay doesn't even have a single standout attribute. But like I said, united have persisted with him and he's shown improvement but he's been solid if not spectacular.