Thomas Partey | Arsenal Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Find it so funny how these foreign players from foreign leagues comes with so much undeserved hype with fans crying about not signing them after they have been signed for super discounted prices.

Then the same people stay quiet when they have flopped and complain about prices of British players who have already performed for teams in the English PL.

Nero

Find it so funny how these foreign players from foreign leagues comes with so much undeserved hype with fans crying about not signing them after they have been signed for super discounted prices.

Then the same people stay quiet when they have flopped and complain about prices of British players who have already performed for teams in the English PL.
The best subset is Ligue 1 midfielders.

It's a yearly conveyor belt of hyped new stars, who usually turn out bang average.

The 2021 edition was Soumare. From hype to shite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It's a yearly conveyor belt of hyped new stars, who usually turn out bang average.

I wouldn't rule foreign players out after barely half a season, though.

mitChley

I remember going to watch him for Atleti v Levante, at halftime the group of us were all saying how he was one of the worst top-flight footballers we had ever seen. Was worried I had misjudged but it seems about right.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’ve said before but he’s only ever impressed me as a right back. Not that I watched him closely in that position but he had a lot of energy there. He’s decent but slow with the ball in midfield.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
When you're leaving a club like Atletico for a club like Arsenal with no competition for the signature, alarm bells ring for me!

I always thought he would be bang average for Arsenal.

I can understand why he was hyped at Arsenal. They hadn't signed a proper steely looking CM for a stupid amount of time. He certainly has presence, but i'm not convinced he's particularly good at playing ball...at least not consistently.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His inconsistency is surprising to me, considering how good he was at Atletico, I wonder if the way Atletico play by packing the middle makes all midfielders look better than they are.

romufc

I remember the meltdown when we didnt sign Partey, more recently there was a semi meltdown when we didnt get Saul, now everyone is quiet on that one.

Matt851

To be fair - we spent £130m on maguire and awb. If we had the chance of revisiting that I would certainly sooner throw that money on some foreign players from foreign leagues rather than some limited, horrendously over priced English lads

RUCK4444

His inconsistency is surprising to me, considering how good he was at Atletico, I wonder if the way Atletico play by packing the middle makes all midfielders look better than they are.
Yeah this definitely would make a big difference. Simeone teams are so well drilled and defensively sound, every player benefits from the defensive structure of that.

Bebestation

To be fair - we spent £130m on maguire and awb. If we had the chance of revisiting that I would certainly sooner throw that money on some foreign players from foreign leagues rather than some limited, horrendously over priced English lads
Yeah like Camavinga :drool: or Ndombele :drool: or Ousammane Dembele or Pogba. Hell even Mbappe who cost 200 mil or more and is now wanting to leave his team on a free. OUCH!! Just like Pogba is leaving us on a free after 90mil. OUCH!

All just players at different prices turning out to be dissapointment at different levels and for different reasons - some costing over 130 million just for themselves- and apparently buying 2 English players for the same is worse. One having captained for England and has had plenty of good games just being pointed out at in some bad form whilst players like Ndombele or Dembele or Partey still get the hype rolling for them after plenty of average performances.

The next is Tchouameni- gets more hype for how he gets Pogba playing than anything really he has done. Has people believing he is a CDM when he is more box to box and has players going past him to take shots on goal for ease. Maybe he will be good in the future, its more the case that I won't be surprised if he doesn't- just like any player we target from England or anyone other country.

Some turn out good and some turn out bad. The price instantlt inflates as soon as we are interested in the player as we have seen with Fred for 50+ million. An English player on the other hand is going to be at the price due to the richest club being interested in him and have some inflated price added on due to their ability in the PL already aswell as their likelihood of ending their career forever at one club during the years that matter like Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i would rule them out from entering are country altogether. them foreners need are footballs more than are footballs needs them foreners. brexit means brexit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nah not for me. They may have been expensive but at least both have proven to be good reliable players which is the minimum expectation. We wearnt in a position to take a gamble on those positions we just needed consistent performers and despite the narrative both have offered us that. Maguire was very good for two seasons before his poor form this season and I’m confident he will get that back. AWB is still a useful player and is the best defensive 1 vs 1 player in the world so he will continue to play his part. Both good signings for me, all be it overpriced.

NoPace

It probably has, even going back to Gabi and Tiago playing the best ball of their career there, but Partey was hitting such good passes from deep (short stuff to feet ahead) that I thought he'd be great and we missed out not getting him. Really improved a ton from squaddie to undroppable in a few years.

To his credit, he just said he'd give himself a 4/10 for his play at Arsenal, so his standards are high, won't be surprised if he comes good.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We have seen him absolutely boss Liverpool and United, there is definitely a player in there.

He's been poor though, almost like he hates Arsenal along with Pepe.

NoLogo

We have seen him absolutely boss Liverpool and United, there is definitely a player in there.

He's been poor though, almost like he hates Arsenal along with Pepe.
I feel like consistency has always been a bit of an issue with him? When he was still at Atletico he looked world-class just to be out of the team for an extended period of time just a few games later, not sure though if it is because he has a tendency to pick up injuries or if he simply can't always play at this best level.

stevoc

Said it before and I'll say it again, Partey is a decent player but nothing special though which is why he's at Arsenal and not a top side.

In a different set-up/league I'm sure he could look better but it isn't Arsenal or England.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I feel like consistency has always been a bit of an issue with him? When he was still at Atletico he looked world-class just to be out of the team for an extended period of time just a few games later, not sure though if it is because he has a tendency to pick up injuries or if he simply can't always play at this best level.
I don't really know either, an Atletico fan would have to shed light on it.

Doing scoreboard journalism I thought there were periods where he was a main important player in their team, chipping in with goals etc.

Nero

No, but I wish people would also rein in the overhyping of players.

Every signing our rivals make is greeted with annual cries of 'can't belive we're not in for him', 'we're gonna regret this', 'why are we not all over this'.

9 times out of 10 said player proves to be average at best.

Matt851

Yeah like Camavinga :drool: or Ndombele :drool: or Ousammane Dembele or Pogba. Hell even Mbappe who cost 200 mil or more and is now wanting to leave his team on a free. OUCH!! Just like Pogba is leaving us on a free after 90mil. OUCH!

All just players at different prices turning out to be dissapointment at different levels and for different reasons - some costing over 130 million just for themselves- and apparently buying 2 English players for the same is worse. One having captained for England and has had plenty of good games just being pointed out at in some bad form whilst players like Ndombele or Dembele or Partey still get the hype rolling for them after plenty of average performances.

The next is Tchouameni- gets more hype for how he gets Pogba playing than anything really he has done. Has people believing he is a CDM when he is more box to box and has players going past him to take shots on goal for ease. Maybe he will be good in the future, its more the case that I won't be surprised if he doesn't- just like any player we target from England or anyone other country.

Some turn out good and some turn out bad. The price instantlt inflates as soon as we are interested in the player as we have seen with Fred for 50+ million. An English player on the other hand is going to be at the price due to the richest club being interested in him and have some inflated price added on due to their ability in the PL already aswell as their likelihood of ending their career forever at one club during the years that matter like Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick.
Weird selection of players you pick out. Given we signed maguire and awb, maybe dias and cancelo might be more accurate comparisons? Ultimately there are good signings and bad signings and I don't see the big distinction between signings foreigns and English players other than that English players values are often inflated. You cite Fred as an example of foreigners being bad signings but it's more likely to be an example of us being shit at scouting signings

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
i would rule them out from entering are country altogether. them foreners need are footballs more than are footballs needs them foreners. brexit means brexit.
Why have these Kante, Jorginho and Fred players when you can get a Shelvey instead!

Chief123

I know he ain’t Ligue 1, but Odegaard hype was crazy when he was 16. He was meant to be the new Messi. Ended up just being an average midfielder.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I know he ain’t Ligue 1, but Odegaard hype was crazy when he was 16. He was meant to be the new Messi. Ended up just being an average midfielder.
He was very good in Spain for a significant period, probably only second to Messi. He's fairly inconsistent and probably only excels under certain circumstances. Give him some time.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The bigger waste of money has been Pepe, now there's a player I'm glad we didn't get who was hyped up and from Ligue 1.
Christ I'd actually forgotten he even existed! Has he played at all this season?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Why have these Kante, Jorginho and Fred players when you can get a Shelvey instead!
he looks polish. probably circumnavigating brexit somehow. best to err on the side rod caution and kick him out too.

RUCK4444

The bigger waste of money has been Pepe, now there's a player I'm glad we didn't get who was hyped up and from Ligue 1.
Lacazette is another many said we should sign and I think he’s been average.

They’ve hoovered up some players who have been fan favourites on FIFA as far as I can tell.

The thing is they didn’t pay peanuts for these players either and seemingly had a free run at all of them (from memory.)

pascell

Christ I'd actually forgotten he even existed! Has he played at all this season?
Barely, last time he played 90 was vs Leeds in the League Cup.

They’ve hoovered up some players who have been fan favourites on FIFA as far as I can tell.

The thing is they didn’t pay peanuts for these players either and seemingly had a free run at all of them (from memory.)
Yeah I agree, another bang average player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I remember being quite jealous of Arsenal when they signed Lacazette.

Bebestation

Weird selection of players you pick out. Given we signed maguire and awb, maybe dias and cancelo might be more accurate comparisons? Ultimately there are good signings and bad signings and I don't see the big distinction between signings foreigns and English players other than that English players values are often inflated. You cite Fred as an example of foreigners being bad signings but it's more likely to be an example of us being shit at scouting signings
So if our scouting is bad for the foreign players then maybe the scouting is bad for the English players aswell?

Anyway, it's an English team and just like Barcelona can fight to sign the next best Spanish player, or Bayern sign the next best German player from Dortmund - I will never ever have a go at this English club fighting to sign the next best English player they see fit.

If I wanted to support a French club I'd have a favourite club in that league. The same as I do with Ajax in the eredevise or Milan in Serie A.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

On a more serious note I do think he should be judged more if/when he's got a better coaching set up training him

Apokalips

He was very good in Spain for a significant period, probably only second to Messi. He's fairly inconsistent and probably only excels under certain circumstances. Give him some time.
Odegaard was the second best player in the league after Messi?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Odegaard was the second best player in the league after Messi?
For some time he was, I remember he had a great season at Vitesse (Probably the best non-Ajax player) , he would he a dream replacement for Ziyech. Then went to Sociedad and he was amazing in the first few months.

Got player of the month in September and had crazy chance creation stats if I recall correctly, even being compared with Bruno (though I think that comparison was premature).

Also played a great Copa Del Rey in which they reached the finals but he faded later in the season.

the_cliff

For some time he was, I remember he had a great season at Vitesse (Probably the best non-Ajax player) , he would he a dream replacement for Ziyech. Then went to Sociedad and he was amazing in the first few months.

Got player of the month in September and had crazy chance creation stats if I recall correctly, even being compared with Bruno (though I think that comparison was premature).

Also played a great Copa Del Rey in which they reached the finals but he faded later in the season.
Maybe just for September. Overall Messi, Benzema, Suarez and Moreno were definitely better, there's also an argument that Raul Garcia, Aspas and Santi Cazorla were all better as well.

I think you're being a bit nostalgic in retrospect as they did go on a big run in September and early October, but for the remainder of the season he was average.

Eriku

He’s 22, soon 23. Virtually nobody had heard of Modric at the same age.

"Ended up…" :lol:

Chief123

He’s 22, soon 23. Virtually nobody had heard of Modric at the same age.

"Ended up…" :lol:
He absolutely aint no modric mate. He looks bang average right now and showing nothing to suggest anything different going forward. Plenty of 22-23 year old midfielders are established as world class at that age. He certainly ain't young puppy anymore. He's older than Foden who looks on a different level to Odegaard.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Maybe just for September. Overall Messi, Benzema, Suarez and Moreno were definitely better, there's also an argument that Raul Garcia, Aspas and Santi Cazorla were all better as well.

I think you're being a bit nostalgic in retrospect as they did go on a big run in September and early October, but for the remainder of the season he was average.
I wasnt implying he was overall the 2nd best player of the league, which I agree he wasnt. Not sure about Garcia, Aspas, Cazorla but I'm sure you're better informed than I am, point is, that he has still shown fairly recently that he can be an exceptional player.

This Arsenal team is offensively horrible and I believe it was a bad move. More than once in his career he should have gone to Ajax, but at least he is a starter at Arsenal.

Chief123

No chance, he's never been the second best player in La Liga. Most outrageous post I've heard in a long time.

the_cliff

I wasnt implying he was overall the 2nd best player of the league, which I agree he wasnt. Not sure about Garcia, Aspas, Cazorla but I'm sure you're better informed than I am, point is, that he has still shown fairly recently that he can be an exceptional player.

This Arsenal team is offensively horrible and I believe it was a bad move. More than once in his career he should have gone to Ajax, but at least he is a starter at Arsenal.
I do agree with that, many offensive players would struggle with the style of play at Arsenal. Odegaard has a lot of potential, but that's all it has been so far, just potential. He hasn't kicked on at all and when he has had an opportunity to start in a top 5 league (Madrid, Sociedad and Arsenal) he's been very inconsistent. He is only 22-23 and things can change but he's going to have to get a move on and kick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.