Thomas Partey | Arsenal Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_F

Look at Arsenal’s starting line up last night, they’re a complete mess. I know they’ve got injuries, but that defence is doing well to only concede one OG a game. I don’t watch enough of them to judge him, but I wouldn’t expect many defensive midfielders to stand out surrounded by that lot.

I wish we were playing them now in the Europa semi’s.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I can see why other clubs who could have realistically pursued Bruno chose not to. That’s all. He’s obviously a good player. I am yet to be convinced he’s world class though.

I think Partey and Aubameyang are a different kettle of fish though. From what I have read in deep dives on their transfers, they seem to have ended up at Arsenal as they have prioritised living in London above footballing matters. Nobody else was willing to pay that much for Partey.

cyberman

I can see why other clubs who could have realistically pursued Bruno chose not to. That’s all. He’s obviously a good player. I am yet to be convinced he’s world class though.

I think Partey and Aubameyang are a different kettle of fish though. From what I have read in deep dives on their transfers, they seem to have ended up at Arsenal as they have prioritised living in London above footballing matters. Nobody else was willing to pay that much for Partey.
Clubs did persue him but couldnt agree a fee with Sporting?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Other clubs didn't pursue him as there are very few clubs above us in food/transfer chain and also no one thought he would be this good, like how Liverpool got free run at Salah. Timing is always the key.

World class is a vague term, according to few there are around 50 world class players and according to other few there are only 11-22 world class players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Other clubs didn't pursue him as there are very few clubs above us in food/transfer chain and also no one thought he would be this good, like how Liverpool got free run at Salah. Timing is always the key.

World class is a vague term, according to few there are around 50 world class players and according to other few there are only 11-22 world class players.
By any metric Bruno is world class to be honest.

cyberman

But other clubs did persue him. Tuchel confirmed PSG were after him before our game v Chelsea.
Theres a bad habit of claiming every transfer we complete, or are linked with where we are favourites, means we have a free run at them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Clubs did persue him but couldnt agree a fee with Sporting?
Ergo, they didn't think he was worth the amount that we ended up paying. We were the only buyers at that price in that transfer window.

roonster09

Scout
By any metric Bruno is world class to be honest.
For me it's just a pointless term.

But other clubs did persue him. Tuchel confirmed PSG were after him before our game v Chelsea.
Theres a bad habit of claiming every transfer we complete, or are linked with where we are favourites, means we have a free run at them.
Yeah, there was also reports that Barca wanted him and then loan him out to Valencia, Spurs wanted him but they couldn't agree fee for him.

Also like you said, PSG tried to sign him too.
"With my first sporting director in Paris, Antero Henrique, a Portuguese sporting director, and he knew [Fernandes] very well," Chelsea boss Tuchel told reporters ahead of Sunday's match.

"We fought hard to have a connection to him and to bring him to our team. I got made aware of him more in detail, so we watched more and more games about him and followed him and tried to be in touch with him to make it happen.

"Obviously, he decided [to sign for Man Utd] and I was never personally in touch with him, but we tried and he went another way. [It is] bad for us that we have to play against him."

roonster09

Scout
Ergo, they didn't think he was worth the amount that we ended up paying. We were the only buyers at that price in that transfer window.
No point agreeing fee when the player is not interested.

"Obviously, he decided [to sign for Man Utd] and I was never personally in touch with him, but we tried and he went another way. [It is] bad for us that we have to play against him."

cyberman

But we signed him for cheaper than the asking price that summer because he choose to join us in January? Tuchel literally said Bruno didnt even want to talk to them as per @roonster09 above.
Theres a difference in not wanting a player and not being held to ranson by the club. Sancho isnt any less of a player because we didnt pay 120m for him, for example.

Varun1

Pretty much useless player.

Quite slow, not enthusiastic enough. Poor at dribbling. Not involved in one-two because he doesn't run forward after passing. He's focused on passing only and doesn't try anything outrageous. It isn't a bad thing but you expect more. A lazy player who passes the ball whenever he gets it and then doesn't run much after passing. Basically, he was happy with his new contract at Arsenal and stopped trying.

Many players are better than him. Ceballos supposedly was only available at 25 mil is more technically gifted on the ball and tries harder. Now they have a Ceballos who is on loan and playing 1 in 2 games, disrupting team play and understanding because the line up keep changing every week.

Also, a central midfielder absolutely need to know how to shoot and Partey isn't a very good shooter. Look at those winning clubs and their central midfielders usually are very lively, very involved in play and love to shoot. Look at Scholes, Lampard, Bruno, Gundogan vs players like Ozil who doesn't dare to shoot anymore. I think that even Fred, McTominay or Elneny are better players than Partey because they dare to shoot and can shoot decently well and willing to run more.
I was reading your post with interest until you mentioned Fred - I can only remember 2-3 good shots in 2 years from Fred!

As for Partey & Gabriel, 1st season, new league, average manager, ever-changing lineup etc. Probably wait till next season before making a judgement, or even a better manager.
But I also have no doubt that Simeone's tactics brought the best out of Partey.

Ace of Spades

I remember when the cafe used to go negative over some of our potential signings (Carrick for example) and they usually turned out to be very good players for us. And when the cafe cocks out for a potential signing (ADM, Sanchez), they don't do very well.

There's a lesson to be learnt here. Football fans know nothing when judging if a player is a good fit for the club will act like they know everything because they play some video game simulation or watch YouTube highlights or just a few games.
This is true, also need to remember that transfers do not always succeed, there is always a chance that the transfer could end up a dud.

Partey looks bang average currently, wonder if he could be better under a better manager.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I was hoping we’d sign him, if I’m honest. He hasn’t showed anything special at arsenal and he’s been injured a lot iirc as well. Still think it’s a bit early to write him off though. Lots of players struggle adapting to the league and he’s also not playing in an ideal team and under an ideal manager. That entire team is struggling.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Still better than Fred
The obsession to knock our own players at any opportunity will forever baffle me.

Fred has been much better than him this season too....

kundalini

Arsenal's record in the PL when Partey starts is 5 wins 3 draws 7 defeats.

When Partey came on as a sub it's 1 win 2 draws 1 defeat (includes match against City)

Partey not involved, including matches played this season before he arrived. 7 wins 2 draws 5 defeats (includes matches against Chelsea, City and Liverpool)

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You are being harsh. Partey is a good player in my opinion. The price that Arsenal paid is exactly what you expect from him.

His problem is he's been injured and Arteta is a shite manager.

When you make comparison with similar type of midfielder (Weston vs Partey vs Scott vs Fred), his stats per 90 looks like the best one.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only man who can use his name as an explanation for his birthday party.

prateik

You are being harsh. Partey is a good player in my opinion. The price that Arsenal paid is exactly what you expect from him.

His problem is he's been injured and Arteta is a shite manager.

When you make comparison with similar type of midfielder (Weston vs Partey vs Scott vs Fred), his stats per 90 looks like the best one.

These stat comparisons are pointless. It all depends on which team the player is playing for.. the style of play, dominance.. players around him.. defensive/offensive responsibilities.. all play a big part in it.
I have seen enough of him to know he is pretty useless.. Might be his first season at Arsenal.. might be the team.. but the player, at the moment, is pretty ineffective.

No one in their right mind would pick him over Fred or McT.

Here is a random player I picked out of WBA, a team getting relegated , and compared the stats to Partey.. the same selections you have made.. Highlights how misleading stats are.

Partey is 27.. will be 28 in a couple of months.. There is a reason he is at Arsenal .

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
These stat comparisons are pointless. It all depends on which team the player is playing for.. the style of play, dominance.. players around him.. defensive/offensive responsibilities.. all play a big part in it.
I have seen enough of him to know he is pretty useless.. Might be his first season at Arsenal.. might be the team.. but the player, at the moment, is pretty ineffective.

No one in their right mind would pick him over Fred or McT.

Here is a random player I picked out of WBA, a team getting relegated , and compared the stats to Partey.. the same selections you have made.. Highlights how misleading stats are.

Partey is 27.. will be 28 in a couple of months.. There is a reason he is at Arsenal .

If you only look at the green colour and use your hand to count then of course it will mislead because that's lazy way to do. You have to look at each of the stats and understand it well. Look at the passing and playmaking ability, Partey is way better than the West Brom player. Making twice more attempt of long passes and forward passes and still manage to achieve above 85% passing accuracy and above 60% long pass accuracy.

The only thing that West Brom player has over Partey is just number of clearance and interception. Other defensive contribution is about the same which understandable since West Brom is more defensive team means Partey's defensive stats ain't bad for a team that is less defensive compare to West Brom. Physically they are about the same. Thus, why Partey is in Arsenal while the other guy is West Brom player. One is more complete package while the other one is limited.

This is the reason why I compare Arsenal midfield with Juventus and Man United not with feckin West Brom or Sheffield or Newcastle. Can't compare players from team that park the bus most of the time with team that more offensive.

prateik

He is a average player playing a more defensive role for a more defensive side. Was massively overrated when he was at Atletico. No one bit.. Arsenal paid 45m for an average player.. For some top sides, 45m for a squad player is fine.. For Arsenal, with their supposedly limited resources, they have wasted their money.

People will still line up to defend shit.. McT is head and shoulders above Partey. Its not even close.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Our best midfielder by a country mile. Surrounded by dross. Not worried about his form, just please stop shooting.

He's lightyears better than Ceballos. Ceballos just has neat hair and gives the impression of being technically gifted, but he produces little. Partey can pick up the ball turn away from one or two players and play progressive, penetrative passes - on a regular basis. Ceballos hardly ever does that, nor do our other midfielders.

It's easy to pick on Partey though because he cost more money.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's not been great, but he's had a horrible injury interrupted season. Let's judge when he gets a proper pre season to help build his fitness & understanding with the rest of the team, & hopefully a partner with more mobility than Xhaka & Ceballos who both run like they are running through treacle.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Anyone else notice how poor his shooting is? Fred is bad but this guy. Just wow

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
And Robbie from AFTV said he's better than Kovacic, not a chance.

Chief123

Has there been a worse signing in the premier league based on the expectation versus the reality? He was regarded as one of the best in Europe for his position by many.
He’s been nothing short of abysmal. He’s literally only playing because they feel obliged to after paying what they did and in the hope that eventually he comes good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Has there been a worse signing in the premier league based on the expectation versus the reality? He was regarded as one of the best in Europe for his position by many.
He’s been nothing short of abysmal. He’s literally only playing because they feel obliged to after paying what they did and in the hope that eventually he comes good.
He's one of only 2 players at Arsenal who are in the conversation when it comes to being "world class" - him and Aubameyang. And Arteta has turned them both shite. If they were any kind of half sensible club he'd be out on his ear but long may it continue!

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
yarp. Find it funny how so many of these ‘worldie midfielders’ like him and Saul are quoted at obscene prices then turn up in the PL and turn out to be turd
I think Llorente might be a bit like that. A decent player but looks very good in Spain because it's not as physical. I think if he came to England that physicality wouldn't stand out and he'd look a lot more limited. Saul had been on a big slide before Chelsea got him, so was a bit surprised they made that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.