Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

choccy77

Got to feel a little sorry for him after today's press conference.

Then again, he is ultimately working for Roman

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's just a coach. I don't know what answers they expect him to have for them..

Chairman Steve

I guarantee the only time Count Orlok and Abramovich have been face to face is at the Champions League final last year anyway.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's just a coach. I don't know what answers they expect him to have for them..
Having followed Tuchel for a bit this outburst probably came from a place of indifference and annoyance with the topic. The old "football is apolitical" tune that Rangnick also used to explain why Leipzig had a problem with the "Nazis out of the stadiums" slogan.
I guess there is a bit of logic to it, but he won't get any sympathy for me for it.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You don’t have to be a politician to know that what Russia are doing is wrong
He's at a press conference for Chelsea vs Luton. Not at the UN. By all means get a quick quote but it looks like it's all he's been asked about.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Having followed Tuchel for a bit this outburst probably came from a place of indifference and annoyance with the topic. The old "football is apolitical" tune that Rangnick also used to explain why Leipzig had a problem with the "Nazis out of the stadiums" slogan.
I guess there is a bit of logic to it, but he won't get any sympathy for me for it.
It's a reaction to repeated questions specifically about Abramovich's role in this. He was answering questions about Russia's invasion pretty openly in previous press conferences.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Reporter 1: Should Roman Abramovich have a role in football?

Tuchel: It's too much for me to answer. I am not aware of the details and the whole situation. There are situations, like war, that are so much more important than football, this will never change. Situations like war are so much more important. The role of Mr Abramovich is not on me to comment because we don't know enough about it.

Reporter 2: Hello Thomas. You've already spoken about how there are more important things going on in the world than football right now but how much of a distraction is all of this for you, and for your players, and for Chelsea football club – how can you lift the players after Sunday [Carabao Cup final defeat]?

Tuchel: To lift the team after Sunday should not be too hard because I think everybody knows we played a very strong match, we played to our identity, we played with full commitment and a lot of quality. We can never control the result and a winner had to be found and was found after 22 penalties. That more or less tells the story. So that should not be the problem.
It's only two days. We gave a day off to clear our minds because it was not only a disappointment but it was also physically draining for us, physically demanding and that leaves us with a one-day turnaround to be ready tomorrow because that's what its all about and it's the next round [of the FA Cup]. This is life for Chelsea – we want to be competitive in different competitions so we have to be ready tomorrow.
Is that always easy? Maybe not. But this is what we do, this is what we demand from me, myself and everyone around the team, and last but not least the players.
You know, you always start the sentence, the question with the same sentence, 'we know there are much more important things than football but can you comment?' but you also decide to ask me about war and how often do I need to say it? It's horrible. It's horrible. There cannot be any other opinion about it, but why should we be more distracted by you at work? That's what I meant when I said it in the first place. It's out there. We know there are more important things out there. This will never change. This is about sports and there are a lot more important things out there.
Still there is a large distraction going on and we are worried but at the end we try to create an atmosphere to come to work and focus on our work, which is our passion so we are very very grateful and very privileged to have it and it's not that that big a problem. But of course I think that everybody in Europe, more or less, has noise in their head that nobody likes and maybe it's the same for you. But still you try to do your job as good as possible and it's the same for us.

Reporter 3: Hello Thomas. How worried are you about the future running of Chelsea Football Club and I wonder what your message will be to the fans at the moment?

Tuchel: I'm not so sure I'm the person to give messages to the fans. If we try to be calm here, and we are calm, in the centre of a storm, or of some noise around us that we cannot control that we are also not responsible for, it's in the end the best to stay calm and focus on what we love and what we do and this is sports. I think we have a right to focus on sports. I think the players have a right to be focused and this is what we can tell the fans and this is what the fans saw on Sunday.
There is a big situation out there and there is a lot of commitment from the players, from both clubs and the fans and I think that everybody is aware there are more important things. The situation in Ukraine is much, much more important than this game of football and still there was a full stadium and still we arrive with two teams, two strong teams, that played a fantastic match and this is what we can do to the fans. To distract them, to entertain them and do what we do with maximum effort and a maximum commitment. I don't see any other solution how or what we could do different.

Reporter 4: Hi Thomas. Just on how passionately you spoke a moment ago about the horrors of war, how much do you hope that the owner is using –

Tuchel: – Listen, listen, listen you have to stop, I'm not a politician. You have to stop, honestly, I can only repeat it and I even feel bad to repeat it because I've never experienced war.
So even to talk about it I feel bad because I'm very privileged – I sit here in peace. I do the best I can but you have to stop asking me these questions because I have no answers for you.
He was everything but indifferent about the topic. Not sure what they wanted to achieve here and who wouldn't snap.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He was everything but indifferent about the topic. Not sure what they wanted to achieve here and who wouldn't snap.
He basically said "war is bad, but I'm no politician", maybe they expected something as committal as an expression of support for Ukraine.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
Weird take. He is obviously upset with the situation. So much so that he even says it is uncomfortable for him to speak from his comfortable chair in safe London about how it must feel to actually live under that situation. Super humble and absolutely correct perspective.

An awesome coach, but to me he seems to be a better person. I like the human side he has shown over time.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Does he walk after the sale?

There'll be a lot of change in the club which he literally didn't sign up for.

Potentially someone United might look at.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Does he walk after the sale?

There'll be a lot of change in the club which he literally didn't sign up for.

Potentially someone United might look at.
Why the hell would he walk? Chelsea managers have rarely ever interacted with Abramovich over the years. All football matter are handled through Marina and Petr Cech.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Why the hell would he walk? Chelsea managers have rarely ever interacted with Abramovich over the years. All football matter are handled through Marina and Petr Cech.
Cech is a just an advisor is he not? Does he actually have any power or would he actually even stay on?

Marina literally works for Roman. She's gone.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Cech is a just an advisor is he not? Does he actually have any power or would he actually even stay on?

Marina literally works for Roman. She's gone.
Cech's title is advisor but he and Marina work very closely together as a team - Marina would be a devastating loss but it seems like Cech is as ready as anyone to step in. Certainly he deserves a lot of credit for pushing for Mendy, for instance.

Herman Toothrot

With respect mate, that's bullshit.
Is it feck. Did he think he was paid millions by Chelsea being a massive club? Did he think he could bring an expensive sack of shit like Lukaku in because Chelsea are a massive club? He knew what he was signing up for and where the money came from. I've no time for excuses. It always stank and nobody can pretend they didn't know. If you can't answer the questions or find a comfortable place to stand, you never should have been there in the first place.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is it feck. Did he think he was paid millions by Chelsea being a massive club? Did he think he could bring an expensive sack of shit like Lukaku in because Chelsea are a massive club? He knew what he was signing up for and where the money came from. I've no time for excuses. It always stank and nobody can pretend they didn't know. If you can't answer the questions or find a comfortable place to stand, you never should have been there in the first place.
Suppose you're the sort to berate a Whole Foods employee about Bezos then?

Also Tuchel had already answered 3 questions patiently and eloquently about this very topic - he's entirely right to get irritated when he's not being asked about anything else.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You're shouting into the wind mate. I have no idea what you're ranting and raving about here.

Herman Toothrot

Suppose you're the sort to berate a Whole Foods employee about Bezos then?

Also Tuchel had already answered 3 questions patiently and eloquently about this very topic - he's entirely right to get irritated when he's not being asked about anything else.
Aww, poor Tommy Tuchel had three questions in a row about their I'll gotten gains. How ever could a man and club bankrolled by a oligarch suffer so much pain? You really fecking feel for them.

Bezos isn't murdering children, if he was, I'd not be harassing the shelf stacker at Whole Foods, but I'd be gunning for the cnuts who take home seven figure salaries and have a massive public profile.

ROFLUTION

With respect mate, that's bullshit.
He probably gets asked questions like that way too much yes, but isn't it a bit blind as both a chelsea fan and a coach to belittle where the money actual comes from?

I mean it's fair to ask Newcastle fans the same question. It's not just football, the on field succes basically comes from some shady moves. Of course Tuchel can't be all naive about where his paycheck basically comes from.

We've seen him overreact before. Can't say I emphatize much. You have to be able to answer these questions when you're paid shitloads of money from an oligarch imo. Not feeling bad that he gets asked this 3 times in a row.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Aww, poor Tommy Tuchel had three questions in a row about their I'll gotten gains. How ever could a man and club bankrolled by a oligarch suffer so much pain? You really fecking feel for them.

Bezos isn't murdering children, if he was, I'd not be harassing the shelf stacker at Whole Foods, but I'd be gunning for the cnuts who take home seven figure salaries and have a massive public profile.
Given the amount Bezos has spent on lobbying and the child poverty statistics in light of public services being cut, he's not THAT far removed. But glad to hear you're on this righteous crusade; if history tells us anything it's that going after middle management is definitely a great way to effect change :houllier:

Also apparently football journalists are the moral arbitrators now who need to hold their subjects to a high standard? Because that's certainly a collective whose integrity is unimpeachable :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He probably gets asked questions like that way too much yes, but isn't it a bit blind as both a chelsea fan and a coach to belittle where the money actual comes from?

I mean it's fair to ask Newcastle fans the same question. It's not just football, the on field succes basically comes from some shady moves. Of course Tuchel can't be all naive about where his paycheck basically comes from.
I don't deny anything. I'm quite clear on where I stand on Abramovich. Tuchel isn't going to be out here condemning the owner of the club he works for. He's asked questions about it again and again in previous press conferences and again in this one. He can only say so much and he tried to entertain it and answer as diligently as he could, but still the questions kept coming.

He was right to shut down that line of persistent questioning because in the end it was just the same question framed in different ways.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Wait in your anger are you confessing to being Roman Abramhovic attacking Tuchel for not criticizing your purchasing of the club?

Also why would you be gunning for the 7 figure guys and not all? What's your threshold? If someone is on 999,999 its fine but 1,000,000 is not fine? Its ok to take dirty money below a certain threshold? What's the threshold?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

We've seen him overreact before. Can't say I emphatize much. You have to be able to answer these questions when you're paid shitloads of money from an oligarch imo. Not feeling bad that he gets asked this 3 times in a row.
Eh? Saudi Arabia's money comes from oil. What's shady about that? :confused:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're joking right? Haven't watched Bin Salman's regime/been living under a rock?

My point was that Newcastle are part of sportswashing these actions
I'm not arguing he's a good guy or anything (I mean, look at him here)

But if the question is what is the source of the wealth being used to finance Newcastle, the answer is simple: oil.

What is the source of the wealth used to finance Chelsea by Roman? Proceeds from wealth derived from assets violently/illegally acquired by Roman for cheap through personal connections in the chaos that was post-Soviet Russia created in part by shock therapy advised by the West who were more concerned about Russia being capitalist than Russia being democratic

What is the source of the wealth used to finance City and PSG? Oil.

See the difference?

copen1945

I wonder if he has an escape clause in his contract. He must be looking for a way out. He would do well at United.