Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Chairman Steve

Give me an F!
Give me a Raud!

:cool:

Seriously though, Mendy just won a penalty shoot out in a cup final a few weeks ago. Why was that change made?

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ridiculously bad decision to sub off Mendy.
Kepa just doesn't fill the goal like Mendy does, weird decision but I guess they'll point to Kepa's previous record in saving pens

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Very true.
Then you obviously haven't seen Mendy at penalties. As much as he's a world class keeper in general play 99% of his penalties he gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Then you obviously haven't seen Mendy at penalties. As much as he's a world class keeper in general play 99% of his penalties he gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side.
I mean, kepa did exactly the same! Would've backed Mendy to atleast make one save considering the saves he made throughout the game.

Pintu

Ridiculously bad decision to sub off Mendy.
It is data-based. It worked for them in the super cup.

Tonight it wasn't smart. Kepa was probably under more pressure having seen Mendy chosen for 2 consecutive finals and having just witnessed Mendy putting out a WC performance.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
According to Transfermarkt:

Mendy: 2/32 penalty saved
Kepa: 7/24 penalty saved

Mendy has to be one of the worst goalkeeper in the world when it's time to save penalties.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, kepa did exactly the same! Would've backed Mendy to atleast make one save considering the saves he made throughout the game.
Go and watch our shootout vs Spurs last season and then come back and tell me that.

Kepa has already won three shootouts for us this season and has been our best keeper with penalties since Cudicini, why wouldn't we make the change?

Or I'll put this another way, does Henderson flopping in the shootout against Middlesbrough mean you should have used De Gea for them instead? Or should in future?

allen7

Its actually a tough call and tuchel went with data rather than choosing mendy for his on-field performance. Backfired.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

Mendy has to be one of the worst goalkeeper in the world when it's time to save penalties.
This is what people are overlooking. It's easy to say it was a bad sub in hindsight but all the data supported the sub. I personally wouldn't have done it given how excellently Mendy played, and I think that would have given him a lot of confidence in the shootout

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

They don't include shootouts which turns Edou's record into 3/41 (out of the shootouts I know he's been involved in) and one of those because Aguero was stupid enough to try and chip him.

He's superb in pretty much every other way but the lack of research into this situation from before commenting is quite embarrassing. Fans you can just about forgive but pundits are paid to do their research on things like this.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Go and watch our shootout vs Spurs last season and then come back and tell me that.

Kepa has already won three shootouts for us this season and has been our best keeper with penalties since Cudicini, why wouldn't we make the change?

Or I'll put this another way, does Henderson flopping in the shootout against Middlesbrough mean you should have used De Gea for them instead? Or should in future?
Calm down pet, you've just lost a final, go drink with your mates and get off this forum.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ah right. Let's sub off a world class keeper in general play who in shootouts gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side, for a bang average keeper in general play who in shootouts gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ah right. Let's sub off a world class keeper in general play who in shootouts gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side, for a bang average keeper in general play who in shootouts gets sat down while the player rolls it the other side.
Taking a wild stab in the dark here but maybe because he's won over half the shootouts he's been involved in for us even including tonight?

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Why? Think he's doing well. Also now isn't the time for chelsea to make any changes, and I doubt Roman is going to be bothered with this right now.
He is doing great. This is his like 4th or 5th final with Chelsea since he took over?

So, they sack him, we take him. Would put 1) ten Hag 2) him

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He is doing great. This is his like 4th or 5th final with Chelsea since he took over?

Don't think Tuchel's job will be in any danger unless something drastic happens with the league form and we somehow miss out on top 4. He's in as comfortable a position as any Chelsea has been in a while.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't think Tuchel's job will be in any danger unless something drastic happens with the league form and we somehow miss out on top 4. He's in as comfortable a position as any Chelsea has been in a while.
Yeah, but that means this season. My plan is ten Hag this summer and if it doesn't go through hold your horses and get him the following one.

We can have Lampard for shits and giggles in the meantime. :wenger:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He'll get until summer 23 at a minimum unless league form goes absolutely pete tong and we hit a disastrous wobble.

Needs backing too. I think he could build a terrific side given the chance.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Got to the final of every tournament he has entered as Chelsea manager. Lost the domestic ones but won old big ears and super cup and that stupid poxy CWC

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Our finishing yesterday shows why we are still behind Liverpool and City in the league, we drew too many games with our shitty finishing.
Also i'm 100% with Tuchel for putting Kepa on for Pens, Jamie Redknapp talking out of his arsehole.
Mendy is horrific at penalty saving, Kepa is much much better.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Kepa makes a save to win the shootout = TT's a genius.

Kepa misses his pens to lose the shootout = Tuchel's shit.

Was always going to be a huge gamble, but made sense given Kepa has a better pen save record. Mends on the night though looked solid

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The right thing to do would have been to start Kepa in the first place, as it was his competition to start. Klopp didn't falter from starting Kelleher either. It was shit thing to do to start Mendy, not that I have much sympathy with Kepa after his antics under Sarri in a similar situation.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
All I'm hearing is that Kepa is great an penalties. He dived the wrong way for most of them yesterday!

L1nk

I don't understand, are Chelsea in a relegation battle or something. Why are people saying he should get sacked because he lost a Carabao Cup final? They won the Champions League last season and this is his first full season and he should get sacked before the end of it because they lost in the Carabao Cup final? How many cup finals and semi finals did we lose under the great man? Sometimes this happens, sacked already christ it's no wonder none of you have any patience with our own manager/s

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
All I'm hearing is that Kepa is great an penalties. He dived the wrong way for most of them yesterday!
Shit happens, but he saved 4 pens across two different shootouts in the early rounds of this competition. He saved 2 pens in the super cup shootout too. There's definitely a method to this. He's not a robot that will win us every shootout for eternity.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Shit happens, but he saved 4 pens across two different shootouts in the early rounds of this competition. He saved 2 pens in the super cup shootout too. There's definitely a method to this. He's not a robot that will win us every shootout for eternity.
Agreed. It would have been criminally negligent of Tuchel if he didn't use Kepa for the one thing he excels at.