Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Amarsdd

Not surprised he was sacked this season given his attitude in the preseason. I even predicted he would be in the season prediction thread. Just surprised that it was this soon as he has barely had a couple of matches with the ton of new players they have now.

ExoduS

Surprising but he seems to be tactical guy with extremely poor men management skills.

You have to be a complete package to be a great coach and he is missing very important piece. Can it be learned? Perhaps as he seems like intelligent dude but he also seems like an asshole on occasions. People don't wanna play for assholes.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think it isn’t just the results. I think it was the problems he was creating behind the scenes mid window, and the fact that he simply didn’t fit some players.

Mount is getting his new contract done RIGHT now. So, I would imagine that the formations Tuchel keeps trying to shove down our throats not having a place for Mount’s position certainly doesn’t help.

Playing Mount as one of two 6’s yesterday felt like a giant middle finger, like “you want him to play? There you go.”

This was always going to happen. I thought it would be closer to the WC break, but there we are.

Ole'sgunnarwin

They don't buy their players for the manager. They buy it for the team. If they are good enough they will work under the next manager as well. That's how an actual football club works.
You're very naive to think that Tuchel had nothing to do with Aubamayang going to Chelsea

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Global radio stations saying Brighton have given them permission to talk to Potter - sounds like preparations must have been under way for a while so it's odd they let him splurge all that money just a few days ago... mind you one of those was Cucurella so I hope he didn't upset Potter on the way out otherwise he's going to be playing with the reserves for a while ha ha

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Poch will definitely be mentioned as a possible replacement. Potter will have different levels of expectations and egos to cater to if he's appointed. Can he cope? Rogers will also be out of work soon.
Please take him Chelsea and solve all our problems.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Global radio stations saying Brighton have given them permission to talk to Potter - sounds like preparations must have been under way for a while so it's odd they let him splurge all that money just a few days ago... mind you one of those was Cucurella so I hope he didn't upset Potter on the way out otherwise he's going to be playing with the reserves for a while ha ha
That was reported quite a while ago now.

DevilRed

Six weeks into the season having spent over £250m together. Baffling.
I honestly got the feeling that most of those signings were boehly calling the shots.

The man has been racking up the airmiles this summer. Probably bumped into Murtough a few times

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If Potter says no (I think he'll say "yes"), I wonder if they'll think of Thomas Frank

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I honestly got the feeling that most of those signings were boehly calling the shots.

The man has been racking up the airmiles this summer. Probably bumped into Murtough a few times
I doubt it - Murtough blocked booked his double room in barcelona for a month and never seemed to leave! (joke)

largelyworried

Would he really have spent ~£160M on defenders that would let them play a back 3 though? That feels like a Tuchel call to be honest.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel going on that rant about how 1-0 should “be good enough!”… was enough to do it for me.

Our entire team looks so afraid of making a mistake, they enter every transition and possession looking negative.

If we had a 2 on 2 break you would see our players sheepishly playing the ball backward so everyone could catch up.

Rather than coming up with ideas to allow good players to flourish, he’s been putting them in positions to fail: RLC as a lone 6? Mount playing as one of a double 6?

It’s like he thought if you made a enough 3 foot passes sideways that you could eventually move the ball into net for that “one necessary goal” by sheer inertia of players stacked behind players.

We were playing with zero joy, and zero ideas. That, in addition to causing issues behind the scenes… he had to go.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Right on schedule, he's at two and a half really so bit early, but typically the third season is when he's on the outs. I guess it's not just the circus at PSG that can get the great Thomas Tuchel sacked.

backpass

I heared Tuchels prefered players did not get signed and the club got players in he didn´t want.
Especially with Tuchels Character this can only go wrong. There are others who will deal with this situation just fine, Tuchel will never be able to work in an environment were he doesn´t have a big say in the signings.

My personla opinion is, that as soon it becomes clear that players are coming in he doesn´t want, he starts sulking and is not willing to bring the same lvl as before.
The club should know this from his past clubs, if they did, they chose to do this anyway and therefor were prepared to let him go super fast.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
If ever a club deserved for a decision to backfire it is Chelsea. But sadly, they'll somehow end up winning something this season with a new manager - then sack him partway into next season - rinse - repeat

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly tried to give Tuchel power in the window m. He kept saying he would help, then he would complain he didn’t want to do it, then he would be only marginal help: focusing his mind in on an extra defender and signing Aubamayang.

I think the breaking point really came when Tuchel told him we were fine in midfield, then demanded Gilmour be sold against Boehly’s objections, then outside parties telling Boehly we were in real trouble in midfield, and the team left scrambling.

Suedesi

The modern manager is a player's bitch - he has to manage the dressing room and cater to their egos, if not they will stop playing for him and that's that. There has been a lot of volatility and too much politics going on at Chelsea, but that doesn't mean Tuchel is a bad coach all of a sudden.

They will get someone else who will cater to the players' egos and keep plodding along.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The modern manager is a player's bitch - he has to manage the dressing room and cater to their egos, if not they will stop playing for him and that's that. There has been a lot of volatility and too much politics going on at Chelsea, but that doesn't mean Tuchel is a bad coach all of a sudden.

They will get someone else who will cater to the players' egos and keep plodding along.
Tuchel is a terrific coach and he'll continue to show that at another club. I'm gutted that he's gone, if I'm honest. I hope he lands on his feet at another top club, preferably outside out of England and I can continue to root for his success.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
If ever a club deserved for a decision to backfire it is Chelsea. But sadly, they'll somehow end up winning something this season with a new manager - then sack him partway into next season - rinse - repeat
We’ll that’s not fair. New Owners generally get to pick the people that lead their team. They could have gone a different direction right away. But instead they tried to give him nearly unlimited power in the window. He complained about it, and then he threw tantrums.

They are rebuilding the entire organization, from the scouting department on up. And I dont think their DoF candidates would want Tuchel either. They went out of their way to extend a hand and he kept biting it.

Forget results, if you watched us play: the negativity, the disorganization, the seeming lack of a coherent plan, the manic behavior … would YOU want him?

Tuchel has worn out his welcome nearly everywhere he’s been for similar reasons. Clearlake has a track record of extreme patience with their managers. But Tuchel isn’t THEIR manager. And the fact they still backed him SO much … they practically begged him to win them over. But Tuchel couldn’t help himself. He reverted to form and pouted over every tiny detail and wire down everyone around him mentally.

AlPistacho

They don't buy their players for the manager. They buy it for the team. If they are good enough they will work under the next manager as well. That's how an actual football club works.
Maybe Chelsea under Roman, with Marina Granovskaia as the Director who oversaw transfers signed players based on a philosophy. But since Roman left. Boehly’s as owner is pretty much a dictator who wants to be in the limelight and make all the decisions regarding transfer and he reminds me of Woodward in that he just wants to sign the big names regardless of how it affects the team.

I think he’s the type of owner who wants subservient manager that doesn’t question or complain. No doubt after a season or two he’ll adapt and start to let football people handle football issues and take a step back.

But in Boehly there is a warning to United fans, the last thing we want is an owner like him. Because if someone like him comes with money and pays of the debt etc it will blind many to negative effects owners like him have. Excesses and interference in the football side will be forgiven as “well it’s his club”

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Almost completely agree with this, almost. We were undoubtedly the best team in the league before Xmas last season. I don’t want to hear or read anyone arguing differently because it would simply be an injustice to how good we actually were.

He got sacked for the following 7 months worth of games. The performances were atrocious. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with everything going on at the club. I gave him and the players the summer to rest and come back ready. We are not ready.

Our pre season preparation was dreadful, we started far too late and are not fit enough. The players (Ziyech, Pulisic in particular) are not playing for the manager. He hasn’t tried to adjust his personnel or tactics despite repeated looking flat.

This is not a knee jerk firing. It came early this season but Todd has probably been assessing the coach in the time he has bought the club and looked at previous form. This is a performance based firing that is deserved. This is coming from a guy that actually liked Tuchel as our coach.
What changed that made the team go from peak form to atrocious?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Players didn't like him. Management never likes him.

Tactical genius not street wise enough to properly navigate the hierarchy.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Funny how quickly things change. A year ago he was a big favourite on here.

BarcaSpurs

Almost completely agree with this, almost. We were undoubtedly the best team in the league before Xmas last season. I don’t want to hear or read anyone arguing differently because it would simply be an injustice to how good we actually were.
You definitely weren't as good as City, or Liverpool tbh. Lower XG than both, higher XGA than both. Can't see how the table was lying.

Wheato

This sacking is great news for us. As Chelsea will not find a better manager to replace him. And I can't see them being a threat for the foreseeable future now. The recent transfer window just gone, they picked players that specifically fit into Tuchel's system. Even Aubameyang said he was only going there for Tuchel.

They will bring in a new guy with a different system and these players will be square pegs in round holes. Surely, it would have been easier for the new owners to sort out their differences with Tuchel, instead of pressing the self destruct button.

If I was Ten Hag, Klopp or Conte, I would be delighted because Touchel is a top coach.

90 + 5min

Really surprised.

What those higher up is doing, nobody knows. This is just wierd, unless there was big argument behind doors.

largelyworried

I still find it incredible that they wanted Ronaldo and Boehly fell out with the coach over it, when the guy was rejected by just about every major club in Europe this summer and started the season behind Elanga at United. Anyone who knew a dime about football knew that would be a terrible buy, cept the guy currently rebuilding Chelsea apparently.