Thomas Tuchel sacked at Christmas

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wise sacking. PSG are trailing Lyon by a whole 1 point in Ligue 1. Cant have that.

sugar_kane

He fell out with the hierarchy at Dortmund, wouldn't be surprised if it was similar here. Hopefully he'll cause similar behind the scenes trouble at one of our league rivals too.

This could be good if it takes Poch off the market, especially since he's going to a nothing club. It let's Ole see out the season without that pressure, and it keeps him away from any of our league rivals. It will also show us whether he is able to do the business with a top squad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've read Tuchel has history in throwing a hissy fits whenever he doesn't get what he wants in a transfer window.

Gasolin

Apparently Pochettino is favorite for PSG. Can we finally end the nonsense of Poch In?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Bouhafsi says Poch is expected to replace him.
Bad move for Pochettino. These jobs where only CL success is success are really strange as you can do an excellent job but some bad luck in the cup can mess it all up.

CM

That'll be Poch in. Sort of surprised it's taken this long to happen.

Delano

Won't be surprised if Poch is the one. Probably the only "elite coach" who has played for them as well, so the PR spin should write itself.

Eddy_JukeZ

Bold move from Poch to go there.

Will be interesting seeing his dynamic with Neymar/Mbappe.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@do.ob Any chance Dortmund might go after him? :p

This would only happen for two reasons:

1) Tuchel had discussions about transfers in winter, Leonardo said piss off mate and Tuchel threw a fit. They decided to sack him before he disrupts their season and dressing room.
2) It's common knowledge that Leonardo didn't want him, maybe they agreed a deal with another manager, my guess is Pochettino, and he he will have funds in January to try and make some changes.

Would be interesting to see how other clubs look at this. Arsenal might need a manager soon, RB Leipzeg might also if Naglesmann leaves in the summer.

Or......Germany after Low effs up another tournament :lol:
No.1 makes sense — after the summer, it would seem clear that Tuchel didn’t have the funds to make the signings he wanted, perhaps down to a lack of trust? And iirc, Tuchel is quite the aggressor, no? I’m sure I remember him falling out with the higher ups at Dortmund. A sticky ending to his time at Mainz too?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wise sacking. PSG are trailing Lyon by a whole 1 point in Ligue 1. Cant have that.
It's apparently due to an interview that he gave to german media. He was already under pressure and at the end of his contract but according to RMC that interview was the final straw.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Same here but Christmas Day is still 25th.
In Germany the 24th is called "Weihnachten" and the main celebrations and gift exchanges happen on that evening, the 25th and 26th are just the first and second Christmas ("Weihnachts") holiday. So by Tuchel's own traditions he was sacked on Christmas.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's apparently due to an interview that he gave to german media. He was already under pressure and at the end of his contract but according to RMC that interview was the final straw.
Ooh, when's the interview released ?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t really rate Touchel but Poch to PSG would be very interesting and would be a massive step in his career. Getting to work alongside some genuine top talent and also managing the egos is hard work but would set him in higher stead for future big moves if he succeeds.

90 + 5min

Something must have happened. Otherwise it is just a wierd, stupid decision. Interesting to see the reason for sacking, if it is true.

Pochettino is not getting the job.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@do.ob Any chance Dortmund might go after him? :p

This would only happen for two reasons:

1) Tuchel had discussions about transfers in winter, Leonardo said piss off mate and Tuchel threw a fit. They decided to sack him before he disrupts their season and dressing room.
2) It's common knowledge that Leonardo didn't want him, maybe they agreed a deal with another manager, my guess is Pochettino, and he he will have funds in January to try and make some changes.

Would be interesting to see how other clubs look at this. Arsenal might need a manager soon, RB Leipzeg might also if Naglesmann leaves in the summer.

Or......Germany after Low effs up another tournament :lol:
Tactically Dortmund would of course love to sign him. But as a person/employee he's just not viable. You can't hire someone back, who had to be sacked, because he was trying to antagonize the public against his own club/bosses. I wouldn't expect Tuchel to be interested either: he's ambitious, I don't think he's someone who would want to make a step backwards. And in general I can't see him and Watzke work with each other. Things went too far for that.

Pep's Suit

I think it's a great job for Poch. 2.5 year there, make money, win trophies and then see if Barca / Real is available.

Tuchel would be a better fit for a 6th-10th PL team, I think. Just don't see him as the right person for a big club.

stu_1992

Weird timing considering the win last night, but it's been coming. To those that say he isn't doinzg too badly, yes but it's a serious regression from last season. They're currently 3rd the league. Yes they aren't very far off the top but considering the overall quality, it's a league they should absolutely walk. They also were less convincing in the Champions League than they were last year.

DRM

I think it's a great job for Poch. 2.5 year there, make money, win trophies and then see if Barca / Real is available.

Tuchel would be a better fit for a 6th-10th PL team, I think. Just don't see him as the right person for a big club.
Tuchel to arsenal?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ooh, when's the interview released ?
I have no idea, it is mentioned in RMC's article about the sacking that he gave it yesterday. I wonder if it's that bad or just an excuse to get Pochettino.

Castia

Bad move for Pochettino. These jobs where only CL success is success are really strange as you can do an excellent job but some bad luck in the cup can mess it all up.

They'll have a real chance of winning it with Poch and on top of that he will shut those up who say 'he's never won anything!' after taking home a few domestic trophies. Good move in my opinion.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No.1 makes sense — after the summer, it would seem clear that Tuchel didn’t have the funds to make the signings he wanted, perhaps down to a lack of trust? And iirc, Tuchel is quite the aggressor, no? I’m sure I remember him falling out with the higher ups at Dortmund. A sticky ending to his time at Mainz too?
Yea, he has a combative personality and that was the reason he was sacked by Dortmund, though he won the DFB Cup that year. For Mainz he left abruptly as well, I think he wanted Mainz had to release him before the end of the season because of disputs, again.

Tactically Dortmund would of course love to sign him. But as a person/employee he's just not viable. You can't hire someone back, who had to be sacked, because he was trying to antagonize the public against his own club/bosses. I wouldn't expect Tuchel to be interested either: he's ambitious, I don't think he's someone who would want to make a step backwards. And in general I can't see him and Watzke work with each other. Things went too far for that.
Yea no chance Dortmund take him back with Watzke still there, was more of a rhetorical question. He's the best manager they have had since Klopp but sadly his personality never fit with Watzke's, or the squads.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Tuchel has been in conflict with the management for a while and we've been playing like crap the whole season.
It's not exactly surprising although I expected him to last until june.

I'm not 100% convinced by Poch but it could work out.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
The third time in a row, that Tuchel is fired without sporting reasons. His teams were always doing fine. Weird guy.

stevoc

Hopefully they hire Mauricio Roberto Pochettino Trossero as his replacement. Means he won't be taking over United any time soon and people not being subjected to thousands of cringy ''Poch'' posts.

PoTMS

Some people are really touchy about Pochettino desperate to paint him as a shit coach. Weird.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If they get Poch you just know United are going to hit some horrible horrible form.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

All due respect to Lampard and Ole and Arteta and Rodgers, but if they can manage top 6 clubs, so can Tuchel.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Imagine the Poch fanboys when he wins the highly prestigious Ligue 1 title.
Bit of a pointless comment really.
Obviously this is taken from the Ole thread and all.

But people beat on Poch because he hasn't won anything. If he wins Ligue 1, it's a nothing trophy, yet people still cite Ole for winning the Norwegian League

Last edited:

Giggsyking

What success? A donkey can win the league in france with that PSG squad. Pretty sure every manager sign for PSG they are signing on winning the CL, otherwise they get the sack.

ChaddyP

In Germany the 24th is called "Weihnachten" and the main celebrations and gift exchanges happen on that evening, the 25th and 26th are just the first and second Christmas ("Weihnachts") holiday. So by Tuchel's own traditions he was sacked on Christmas.
When does santa come.... One the night of the 23rd or the night of the 24th?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Least he’d be able to actually win a trophy for a change.
Condemned for overachieving and not winning a trophy with a team that had no right to be competing for them.

Slammed if he only wins a trophy with a team that should be winning them.

Poor Poch.