Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Kaos

I'm too embedded in the ETH hype train to want anyone else, but I'd be happy with Tuchel as a second choice.

Just not Poch please.

LoneStar

Easily the best choice among himself, ETH and Poch. He has experience managing big clubs, and has proven himself. Would ideally work very well with Ralf too next season. The other two come with question marks.

I have never found this City team to be a good team to watch, personally find their possession oriented football pretty boring. No doubt it’s super effective, but I’d rather play more direct football. In that way, I suppose Tuchel‘s methods are closer to Klopp than Pep, which I personally find much better.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Imagine having a choice between Rangnick, Tuchel, Pochettino or Ten Hag.

Almost too good to be true.

Gandalf

Not sure how this could work. Clearly players at Chelsea are stuck unless their contracts run down until the sanctions are lifted but is the same true of the coaching staff? Managers can and do resign to take other jobs and compensation is then worked out but as Chelsea cannot make money right now he would effectively be walking away.

I don't know which of the footballing authorities would have jurisdiction, perhaps UEFA or the FA, but I would assume they would either refuse to sanction him leaving Chelsea to manage elsewhere or at the very least insist that compensation be paid at some future point once the club is freed from sanctions. It all seems terribly complicated and so in that regard I don't think anything will happen.

Telsim

How can you pick Ten Hag over champions league winner right now? It’s not like he’s washed up manager in old era? May be ten Hag is the next big thing but surely you want someone who is currently closest to Pep and Klopp over someone who still have much more to prove?
There is no maybe about it. He IS the next big thing, and the sooner we realize this and act on it the better. Worse, if we don't get him now it means he goes elsewhere in a few years, probably to City who would have gotten Haaland by then, and we will truly be in trouble, Tuchel or not. He is also on his way out of Ajax this summer and we cannot afford to waste this opportunity. If it was any other way, I would pick Tuchel 100%.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Carragher writing an article that is constructive to United while Neville is licking Liverpool's arse.
I feel like this life is a simulation sometimes and we are not real.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There is no maybe about it. He IS the next big thing, and the sooner we realize this and act on it the better. Worse, if we don't get him now it means he goes elsewhere in a few years, probably to City who would have gotten Haaland by then, and we will truly be in trouble, Tuchel or not. He is also on his way out of Ajax this summer and we cannot afford to waste this opportunity. If it was any other way, I would pick Tuchel 100%.
What makes you so sure he's "the next big thing" ?

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

If the only options are Tuchel and Poch, Tuchel everytime. ETH is an interesting prospect, but Tuchel showed that he is able to compete in the EPL and Europe, not to mention his experiences in Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

Chief123

All very hypothetical and almost certainly won't happen but if Tuchel was available, where would he rank among candidates for the United job in your eyes?
Without a doubt. Closest there is to Klopp or Pep.

We would have to more than likely accept a wing back system though.

Dazzmondo

Absolute no brainer if possible. However, if we have to pay out Tuchels' contract, wouldn't that count as a transaction? If that's the case I don't think it would be allowed. Any reason why this wouldn't be the case?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would seem like a no brainer if Ralf is staying on in an executive DOF or consultant type role. Tuchel would seem to be a logical choice to take over, only this time Ralf wouldn't have to fish him out of a bartender job.

Dante

Average bang
He'd also get the most out of Lindelof and Maguire as RCB and LCB. Both are really good on the ball, and could do well in a back 3 on either side of Varane as the sweeper. In addition, his system seems to be well suited to Bruno (in the Havertz role) and Sancho (in one of the #10 roles). Maybe also Shaw and Dalot/Laird.

In terms of cost effectiveness, I think any manager is going to need to spend big money over the next few years. But Tuchel would require less of a clear out than the alternatives.

So whilst I think his philosophy is different from Solksjaer's, I don't think it's as different as either ETH or Poch. For a club as obsessed with money as United, we'd get the best bang for buck under a Tuchel transfer window.

And I've not even mentioned the 'medals on the table' factor. Our lazy, unmotivated players will have belief in him from day 1. There won't need to be a bedding in period where he has to prove himself worthy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He'd also get the most out of Lindelof and Maguire as RCB and LCB. Both are really good on the ball, and could do well in a back 3 on either side of Varane as the sweeper. In addition, his system seems to be well suited to Bruno (in the Havertz role) and Sancho (in one of the #10 roles). Maybe also Shaw and Dalot/Laird.

In terms of cost effectiveness, I think any manager is going to need to spend big money over the next few years. But Tuchel would require less of a clear out than the alternatives.

So whilst I think his philosophy is different from Solksjaer's, I don't think it's as different as either ETH or Poch. For a club as obsessed with money as United, we'd get the best bang for buck under a Tuchel transfer window.

And I've not even mentioned the 'medals on the table' factor. Our lazy, unmotivated players will have belief in him from day 1. There won't need to be a bedding in period where he has to prove himself worthy.
Tuchel is pragmatic in the good sense of the word. He does what makes sense, his teams can be all attacking but also very defensive, they can be heavily geared toward possession or focus on the counter. If you look at Mainz, Dortmund, PSG and now Chelsea they all played differently.

That's why I like him a lot. He isn't limited to the ideal style of his players.

I've wanted him since he left Dortmund, glad people are starting to see the light now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why there is no may be? Anything to back it up?

Nick7

Sure, but I don’t think there’s any chance he leaves Chelsea. Contract till 2024, they can’t buy him out, they can’t replace him.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I‘ve said it before but I’m pro-ETH, but if Tuchel becomes available… it’s a really tough choice between those two personally.
Nah it's not. One's done it in this league already with large club the other hasn't. No disrespect to ETH, he was my first choice but having league experience surely trumps.

hobbers

Sure, but I don’t think there’s any chance he leaves Chelsea. Contract till 2024, they can’t buy him out, they can’t replace him.
Pretty sure he could buy himself out of his own contract if he wanted to. Not sure where the money would then go though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Nah it's not. One's done it in this league already with large club the other hasn't. No disrespect to ETH, he was my first choice but having league experience surely trumps.
Don’t fancy us playing 3 at the back though. ETH style of play is a lot more risk taking, we’d score for fun under him. Tuchel is decent but he falls out a lot with players and don’t think he’d get on well with our owners.

Josh 76

Don’t fancy us playing 3 at the back though. ETH style of play is a lot more risk taking, we’d score for fun under him. Tuchel is decent but he falls out a lot with players and don’t think he’d get on well with our owners.
Why don’t you fancy us playing 3 at the back ?

peridigm

Yes. Obviously.

Tuchel or ETH, happy with either.
ETH first, Tuchel, ..................................................................................................................., Poch.

Better than Poch, still not a truly elite manager. ETH should be our total focus.

Abraxas

If he became available he would of course be the stand out candidate. A winner and has carried himself well throughout his time in England.

I think he'd probably suit us in that I don't see him as an idealist that needs a whole new squad to implement a fabled philosophy. That's not to say he'd be remotely happy with our lot but he'd probably extract something from them.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why don’t you fancy us playing 3 at the back ?
Our defence is awful and un organised in a back 4 so imagine a back 3. Plus we’d have to buy like another 3 CB in the summer when we have other positions that need more attention.

Laurencio

There is no way Tuchel leaves Chelsea to join us. Will probably wind up at Real Madrid if he decides to leave.

Suv666

Surely not
I reckon Chelsea would be sold soon and things will carry on albeit not as smoothly as before.

Polar

Still think Ten Hag is the one who can potentially be the next Pep/Klopp level manager.
This is the major reason why most people want ETH, but I honestly don’t think we can appoint a manager based on speculation and wishful thinking. Valid arguments why ETH will succeed in the biggest club and the best league in the world are mostly absent.

Some people also have started to talk about Tuchel as their preferred manager. He is off course a more proven manager than ETH, but the major question is; does he have a better record than Poch? Can someone eventually explain me why?

I still rate Poch higher than Tuchel. What Poch did with Tottenham (from 14 to 18/19) is at the same level (manager wise) as Pep and Klopp.

Another alternative better than both Tuchel and ETH is definitely Diego Simeone. AM hasn’t been outside top-3 in La liga after Simeone became manager in 2012:eek: In the same period they’ve won Europa league and played in CL final two times. Before 2012 AM was a mid table club for 10y.

Last edited:

FujiVice

Is there a "pick the bones" thread yet? A place to discuss who we'd take from Chelsea's eventual demise?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I would probably spaff everywhere of we got Tuchel.

The guy is a top top manager and would fit in perfectly at United.