Tim Howard

talking robot

I saw this quote from David Moyes in a soccernet article on Tim Howard:

"Tim is now on the same level as Pepe Reina and Petr Cech," Moyes said. "They are considered to be the two best in England. I would not swap either for my man."

"Since we signed Tim he has worked to prove that what happened to him at Manchester United was only a learning experience as opposed to what might have led to the downfall of his career," Moyes said. "He simply gets better and better. He works harder than any goalkeeper I have employed.

"He is the last off the training ground," Moyes continued.

"Tim does whatever it takes to improve himself and his commitment is fantastic.

"Can he become the best in the world? You bet he can," he said.

"Even now I don't see anyone better than him. And at the age of just 30, which is not even a goalkeeper's prime time, he has many seasons ahead of him to grab that No 1 spot and keep it."

I'm not sure that he is good as Peter Cech, but I do think he has progressed a lot in his time at Everton. I wouln't mind if we bought him back as he is now in his prime and has enough experience internationally and in the premier league to merit a position in our first team. Of course buying him a second time is extremely unlikely, but I'd prefer Howard to either Foster or PIG as a replacement for Van der Sar.

032Devil

Goalkeeper is such a crucial position that for a club like United that only the best of the best can be considered for it.

A club like Everton can lose a goal, a game without much consequence to their position whereas at United, one mistake, one conceded goal have major impact.

It's not an attempt to belittle Everton but United are in a different league and we couldn't give Howard time to develop.

fatboy

Howard was prone to mistakes when playing for us, mistakes he seldom made when playing for the US, and Everton. It only means that once again the pressure of playing for United didn't sit well with him. Everton is the right level for him, and he has flourished because he always had the talent. I suspect this might be the same for Foster, unfortunately.

Ekeke

His decline and replacement was just bad timing and his form didnt pick up quick enough. He's a good keeper.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's not saying much, unfortunately.

Howard's a level below Reina, Vds and Cech (the Cech of a couple of years ago anyway) and on a par with a whole bunch of other PL keepers. We could and should be looking at better keepers.
Agree. He's not as good as Edwin, even now. We should be looking at the best of the best.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He is better than Foster because he is playing regularly and at a club where the pressure isn't as big as it is at Old Trafford. Temperament was the big thing that I thought let Timmy down and it's looking like it's whats stopping Foster and many other keepers as well.

Laphroaig

Isn't it time to stop pretending that Cech is a great keeper? He was fantastic a couple of years ago but hasn't been for a good while. It's like saying Ronaldinho is one of the best footballers around right now.

Epic

Howard, with his reflexes, would be a monster of a keeper in the Spanish league.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's not saying much, unfortunately.

Howard's a level below Reina, Vds and Cech (the Cech of a couple of years ago anyway) and on a par with a whole bunch of other PL keepers. We could and should be looking at better keepers.
Agreed

Isn't it time to stop pretending that Cech is a great keeper? He was fantastic a couple of years ago but hasn't been for a good while. It's like saying Ronaldinho is one of the best footballers around right now.
No-one said that Cech was all that great now, he's half the man he used to be since that incident.

Laphroaig

No-one said that Cech was all that great now, he's half the man he used to be since that incident.
David Moyes said that "Tim is now on the same level as Pepe Reina and Petr Cech. They are considered to be the two best in England. I would not swap either for my man."

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
David Moyes said that "Tim is now on the same level as Pepe Reina and Petr Cech. They are considered to be the two best in England. I would not swap either for my man."
I was referring to the posters on this thread, regardless the fact that Moyes would even contemplate comparing Howard to Cech says alot about Cech's decline in itself.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Being Everton's no.1 is very different from being a United gk. Howard lacked the concentration level required in his younger days and while he's now more experienced, he's probably better off at a upper mid-table club.

talking robot

Being Everton's no.1 is very different from being a United gk. Howard lacked the concentration level required in his younger days and while he's now more experienced, he's probably better off at a upper mid-table club.
He has acquired the confidence he needs to handle the pressure at a club like United now. He was good enough to be at United, but his head wasn't right because he was justifiably insecure about some aspects of his game and not as confident with regards to the strong parts of his game. When he made an error, it was compounded by his mentality. Now he knows he is a good keeper, and he has improved on the weaker aspects of his game. He would be in much better mental shape if he were to come back, and Moyes is right that Howard has the potential to be amongst the best in the world. He'll never prove it at Everton though.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
In hindsight, it would have been better for all parties had SAF signed VDS that summer and Howard went to Fulham. He could have developed at Fulham for a few seasons with far less pressure, then moved on to Everton and now be looking at a move to a big club next summer like Arsenal or United. The current Howard would be a solid successor to VDS. Not that top tier like Buffon, Casillas, etc., but in the tier below.

talking robot

In hindsight, it would have been better for all parties had SAF signed VDS that summer and Howard went to Fulham. He could have developed at Fulham for a few seasons with far less pressure, then moved on to Everton and now be looking at a move to a big club next summer like Arsenal or United. The current Howard would be a solid successor to VDS. Not that top tier like Buffon, Casillas, etc., but in the tier below.
Yeah, that's true that he is a step below Casillas and Buffon. I totally agree with the Van der Sar comment too.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Howard is a very good Premier League goalkeeper and stands out at Everton. However games like Everton v Stoke last season are examples why he never made it at United.

F-Red

I have it on very good authority that Everton had Coventry keeper Keiren Westwood all signed & sealed, but they did not submit the paperwork in time for the last transfer deadline, so expect to see him there at the next window or in the summer.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
If you look up from your position I can drop some of my tears down too. :)
:lol::lol::lol: Moyes has won more silverware this season than Rodgers.

Enjoy your CL though, you bastards. We'll see you in a year.