Time For a Statement From The Board?

Infra-red

The original statements the board made when they appointed him 8 months will presumably still hold true:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ppoints-new-manager-david-moyes.aspx?pageNo=1

Sir Alex talked of "integrity" and a "strong work ethic", Sir Bobby said Moyes was a committed man with strength of character who recognises the importance of bringing youth through, Ed Woodward mentioned energy and commitment, and Joel Glazer praised his "hard working style and steely determination". They all said they were impressed by his work at Everton.

I'm not sure what the board coming out and regurgitating all those comments again would achieve.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You can't support David Moyes and have the interests of Manchester United at heart. It's an affectation or hypocrisy. Although one so common that it's not easily recognized.

If you owned United, and you and your family faced destitution if it's fortunes continued to fail, would you bet the future of all you have on David Moyes? Or would you take action to prevent personal disaster?

When there's nothing at stake for you personally, it's easy to be noble because it's what a good fan does. But if the interests of the club come first, he should go.
That's an opinion, and a nonsensical one in my own humble opinion. There is no nobility in thinking the situation is one way or another. The idea that an opinion of tenure at MUFC reflects some moral status is one of the many particularly annoying things to be manifest lately.

I'm not sure I would have hired Moyes, but as it stands I can understand someone who did hire him giving him time to weather this storm and right the ship.

Even before Fergie's ridiculous and unrivalled tenure the job at OT was widely regarded as one of the biggest in football, and not for nothing. Fergie's achievements added to that pressure. And let's just say for arguments sake Moyes is shit and can't right the situation, the best interests of the club would be a course of damage limitation, even at that there is an argument that sacking the wrong choice at this point would add even more pressure on the next man with the amount of media attention.

So while it's nice for you that you can speak in such an assured and dismissive tone, I fear it might be somewhat misplaced.

And what that has to do with the board making s statement or not I'm not sure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Moyes has to the luckiest person in the world. He can do everything totally wrong but still safe in his job and have the board full support.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Moyes has to the luckiest person in the world. He can do everything totally wrong but still safe in his job and have the board full support.
He could also be very unlucky if what is happening was inevitable and beyond his control. While Moyes hasn't done anything inspiring, apart from sign Rooney and Adnan up, which I don't actually think is inspiring as much as just competent, there isn't a lot he has gotten wrong. I think while he is responsible I think the team was on it's last legs in many respects. It's a bit like Rafa walking into Inter after Jose.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ain't gonna last, though. You don't actually think these people - SAF, Charlton, Gill - will simply let him have a free ride no matter what he delivers, for shits and giggles? I think many of our fans misjudge - especially - Fergie when it comes to this. He expects a modicum of success from Moyes. Obviously. The transition can't last for ever. If Moyes looks perfectly out of his depth after having been given the means to bring in the players he needs - he will have blown it. Fergie has never made a sworn statement to the tune that Moyes will be a great manager for us. Of course he will get the boot if he can't deliver. We aren't a bloody charity - and I find it incredible that some people think Fergie of all people aren't aware of this.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If this eventually doesnt work out for Moyes and continues as bad as its been, his career is potentially fecked. I wouldnt call him lucky at all right now.

If he could turn back time he probably wouldnt have taken the job.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If this eventually doesnt work out for Moyes and continues as bad as its been, his career is potentially fecked. I wouldnt call him lucky at all right now.

While I agree with some of that. No matter what the odds were against success you'd have to say yes to the job here.

Moriarty

Ah yes, the dreaded 'vote of confidence' with Wilko Johnson lurking in the background with a blood great sword. Game of Managers anyone?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He could also be very unlucky if what is happening was inevitable and beyond his control. While Moyes hasn't done anything inspiring, apart from sign Rooney and Adnan up, which I don't actually think is inspiring as much as just competent, there isn't a lot he has gotten wrong. I think while he is responsible I think the team was on it's last legs in many respects. It's a bit like Rafa walking into Inter after Jose.
He took over the most difficult team in world football to take over. That is, as Rafa would say, a fact. There are so many different bits and pieces to this puzzle at the moment that it's impossible to say with any certainty how badly he's actually done. Nor how well anyone else would've done in his shoes. Nor how well he'll eventually do once he - hopefully - gets the hang of it.

Getsme

He certainly doesn't look like a man who's under pressure

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He took over the most difficult team in world football to take over. That is, as Rafa would say, a fact. There are so many different bits and pieces to this puzzle at the moment that it's impossible to say with any certainty how badly he's actually done. Nor how well anyone else would've done in his shoes. Nor how well he'll eventually do once he - hopefully - gets the hang of it.
I'm bored agreeing with you. I'm off to find someone who makes keeping the new "no insults" rules hard to keep.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I think the team was on it's last legs in many respects. It's a bit like Rafa walking into Inter after Jose.
Inter weren't on their last legs IMO, but it was more a case of their players being so ingrained by Mourinhos methods and personality that they struggled to respond to another manager.

A situation not to dissimilar to the one Moyes find himself in. I have major doubts weather he has it in him to turn it around though.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

I think he knew it would be bloody difficult. Which actually says something about the character of the man. It would seem to indicate that he's either a perfect loon or that he has some bollocks, unlike what some of our fans seem to think.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Beyond his control? Come on, maybe he shouldn't be the manager of a top club afterall. He has been backed up with big money to spend (67m), he has time to fix the problems (2 windows), he has top talents such as Rooney, RVP, Mata, Januzaj, De Gea, Carrick and Rafael at his disposals, players that could have start at any team in the league. Right, just unlucky and last legs in many respects.

Bojan11

Moyes unlucky? I don't know how people work that one out. He's one of the luckiest managers I've ever seen especially with the press. If this was a foreign manager producing the same results the press will have a field day.

Oh yes let's blame the players. The players surely must have been told to cross 84 times.

Stan Jefferson

he has time to fix the problems (2 windows)
This squad has had problems for years now, you can't blame moyes for not fixing in 6 months what sir alex didn't fix in years.

This club has just had its first change of manager in nearly 3 decades, its gonna take a bit more than 6 months for the new man to put his mark on the team and quite frankly although its fair to expect a little more from the team than we've got this year anybody who expected a smooth transition with no bumps in the road was just deluded.

EDIT: Oh and a statement of any sort on this matter is not going to happen and nor should it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This squad has had problems for years now, you can't blame moyes for not fixing in 6 months what sir alex didn't fix in years.

This club has just had its first change of manager in nearly 3 decades, its gonna take a bit more than 6 months for the new man to put his mark on the team and quite frankly although its fair to expect a little more from the team than we've got this year anybody who expected a smooth transition with no bumps in the road was just deluded.

EDIT: Oh and a statement of any sort on this matter is not going to happen and nor should it.
A

Very good.

Will Absolute

That's an opinion, and a nonsensical one in my own humble opinion. There is no nobility in thinking the situation is one way or another. The idea that an opinion of tenure at MUFC reflects some moral status is one of the many particularly annoying things to be manifest lately.

I'm not sure I would have hired Moyes, but as it stands I can understand someone who did hire him giving him time to weather this storm and right the ship.

Even before Fergie's ridiculous and unrivalled tenure the job at OT was widely regarded as one of the biggest in football, and not for nothing. Fergie's achievements added to that pressure. And let's just say for arguments sake Moyes is shit and can't right the situation, the best interests of the club would be a course of damage limitation, even at that there is an argument that sacking the wrong choice at this point would add even more pressure on the next man with the amount of media attention.

So while it's nice for you that you can speak in such an assured and dismissive tone, I fear it might be somewhat misplaced.

And what that has to do with the board making s statement or not I'm not sure.

I suppose my post was borderline insulting about the pro-Moyes camp, but not, of course, directed at you personally (I was using the royal 'you' ). Nonetheless,I believe that continuing to support a man who's given every indication, short of burning Old Trafford to the ground, that he was the wrong choice for the job, is perverse.

Plugsy

The Glazer's don't say anything on any subject whatsoever and never have. That's guaranteed not to change.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Glazer's don't say anything on any subject whatsoever and never have. That's guaranteed not to change.
I'd rather it stay that way too. From John Henry's Twitter grandstanding to the Hull (Tigers™) owner's public idiocy, it's often embarrassing when owners speak out.

Plugsy

I'd rather it stay that way too. From John Henry's Twitter grandstanding to the Hull (Tigers™) owner's public idiocy, it's often embarrassing when owners speak out.
Agreed. Hands off and say sod all. Perfect.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
The original statements the board made when they appointed him 8 months will presumably still hold true:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ppoints-new-manager-david-moyes.aspx?pageNo=1

Sir Alex talked of "integrity" and a "strong work ethic", Sir Bobby said Moyes was a committed man with strength of character who recognises the importance of bringing youth through, Ed Woodward mentioned energy and commitment, and Joel Glazer praised his "hard working style and steely determination". They all said they were impressed by his work at Everton.

I'm not sure what the board coming out and regurgitating all those comments again would achieve.
In other words he's honest, stubborn, determined, works hard and makes the players work hard in training. Great!

Surely the manager of a top PL club needs some some football related strengths and achievements. Cpouldn't they find any.

A bit of charisma, tactical ability, man management and personality wouldn't go amiss either.

Revan

Assumptionman

Will it? His achievements with Everton will ensure that he'll get a new job in an another midtable club soon enough. He will get a nice payoff from United, and let's be honest, this was the only big job he could have ever hoped to get for. We saw many times how all the other big clubs overlooked him. United was the only big job he could have got. If it doesn't work (which unfortunately looks more likely every day) he'll be again on his previous level, can say that he has managed a big club and will be a bit richer.

Revan

Assumptionman
You can't support David Moyes and have the interests of Manchester United at heart. It's an affectation or hypocrisy. Although one so common that it's not easily recognized.

If you owned United, and you and your family faced destitution if it's fortunes continued to fail, would you bet the future of all you have on David Moyes? Or would you take action to prevent personal disaster?

When there's nothing at stake for you personally, it's easy to be noble because it's what a good fan does. But if the interests of the club come first, he should go.
You can. Don't get me wrong, I have been one of his biggest critics and would love to see him sacked ASAP, but there are people who think different and youre sentence is a bit simplistic (and even insulting at those who support him). I think that a lot of people support him only because of SAF, and some others only 'to look better than fans of other teams and United's gloryhunters' but there are many more who support him because they think that is the right way (chesterlestreet for example) and want to see how things will definitely go before they'll join the crowd who is asking for his sack. I completely disagree with them (and think that the damage will be really big for United) but they are making a good cause and giving good arguments to support their opinion.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Off course there will be no statement but that doesn't mean that the owners don't work behind the scenes. I assume they have already contacted a professional head hunter who do the ground work if they want to change things. I also think that Sir Alex will be left out of this process.

Moyes worst nightmare will be if he lose more senior players in the dressing room. Especially Rooney, RVP, Carrick and Fletcher.

I don't thing we will sack him yet but when we are out of the CL then I think he's in deep deep trouble if he don't improve the way we play and get better results.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't thing we will sack him yet but when we are out of the CL then I think he's in deep deep trouble if he don't improve the way we play and get better results.
I wonder if Moyes feels as though it'd be 'deep deep trouble'. Or if he'd just brush it off as 'well I gave it a go'. The attitude on show suggests the latter to me.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Well every squad has a problem, even Chelsea (striker problems, key players getting old etc) and Arsenal (lack of squad depth, lack of steel, slow defenders playing high defend line), even when we have the same midfield problems for few years, we always came either first or second. People say new manager need time, yet you don't see new managers of Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, City, Chelsea, Everton etc need it at all, they almost immediately put their mark in the new team. Moyes is not up to it, you know it and I know it, we all know it, its time to confront the real problems now and forget all those excuses just because of us taking pride in loyalty.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Good, that's what I wanted to establish. If it's generally accepted that he's here for the medium term at least why are there so many people on here calling for his head immediately when they know it's not going to happen?
Because some of us don't want to see mediocrity or crosses galore?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'd prefer the board to just remain quite. The media have enough things they can twist already, and statement from the board will only get them talking more. The only statements I would like them to give is an intent to provide Moyes with the massive amount of required funds to rebuild the team or his sacking. Any other decision and they can stay quite and behind doors.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
There won't be any statement unless it is the one most people are waiting for. At best we'll get Ferguson mentioning something in an informal interview as with the BBC. There's no point, if he has their full support he will know it behind the scenes.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Because it's a ridiculous idea. If they want to sack him then they should. If they don't, they should shut the feck up. "Full support" statements provide anything but full support: more uncertainty, more media scrutiny, more scope for player unrest. It's a stupid idea.
You only give a manager your full support when you want them to know they will get the sack if they lose another game or two.