Time For a Statement From The Board?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm sure the club is alert of the situation. A certain potential of missing out CL spot is a big issue for a club with United stature. Also those boards who have watched on how United play this season should have some concern (as I assume most of them are football fans, like many of us here).

It's their money they've invested on. Fergie's retirement speech won't fill out their pocket.

As Danny1982 said, they don't make any statement now, it could be that they want to leave the door open to any decision (support/sack) until the season ended.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So whenever the club are having second thoughts on any decision, they need to inform you?

All your other questions are the same. Maybe from within the club, the cataclysmic change is seen as mitigation for some of the poor form, and the balance is not enough to axe the manager.
What's the plan here, I'd love to know that. What's the bigger picture. What are the board expecting from Moyes. There's plenty of questions I have regarding Moyes, plenty. Some communication between the hierarchy and fans could go a long way now, most of us are completely disillusioned.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not at all? They could help bring something to light? He could be doing anything behind the scenes that the club have acknowledged and admire.
Yeah, like you will be satisfied if they praise him for stuff behind the scenes. Mind, there was a hint of one such thing the last time they "explained themselves": retaining Rooney was a priority last Summer. That's probably STILL an ongoing issue, as with some other players. Do you want them to come out and say "he has done brilliant handling squad unrest and contractual shenanigans". Even if true, how the feck does that help anyone?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
What's the plan here, I'd love to know that. What's the bigger picture. What are the board expecting from Moyes. There's plenty of questions I have regarding Moyes, plenty. Some communication between the hierarchy and fans could go a long way now, most of us are completely disillusioned.
Some of ye were completely disillusioned withe Fergie.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Were they? Not me. Ferguson and Moyes are in noway comparable anyway. Two completely different situations.
So what, you say a statement should be forthcoming due to disillusionment. This is nonsense. The crowd at OT support the manager, who really cares what the idle masses on a forum say?

Cina

Some of ye were completely disillusioned withe Fergie.
To be fair, there were times in the last few years where I'd become pretty disillusioned with some of Fergie's decisions, his playing style, transfer policy and his overall stubbornness. That's not to say I wasn't devastated when he retired, but having stuff like that in my mind did actually make getting a new manager really exciting, the idea that we could potentially no longer have to deal with things like that. Sadly I didn't quite account for the sheer magnitude of other issues we'd encounter instead.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm extremely fearful for the direction Moyes is taking us. I just hope the board know what they're doing. I also don't think it's too unreasonable to want some communication between the hierarchy and fans during this period of absolute dog shit.
Here's a statement for you:

"We are 7th, out of the title race and with CL qualification looking distant because we have somehow managed the worst home form in living memory, worse than our away form. Four losses and three draws so far, and counting. That's 18 points dropped and largely completely spastic events our players should feel ashamed of".

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So what, you say a statement should be forthcoming due to disillusionment. This is nonsense. The crowd at OT support the manager, who really cares what the idle masses on a forum say?
The vocal support is great, yes. I don't see how communication between board and fans during this period could be damaging. I'd like to know why we're persisting with Moyes, I genuinely would.

Someone

Something
I'm not very up on the way these things work .... so does it mean he'd get 5 x 5.7m (£28.5m) if sacked in the summer?
Not really, he either agrees a compensation package or keeps getting paid until he gets a new job, in theory he could enjoy the money and sit jobless for 5 years, but i think he'd be back in the game within a year.

Nogbadthebad

The vocal support is great, yes. I don't see how communication between board and fans during this period could be damaging. I'd like to know why we're persisting with Moyes, I genuinely would.
A statement from the board is simply inviting an even bigger media storm and yet more pressure on the playing staff.

In the big wide world, its a harsh lesson to understand, but your needs just are not that important.

Gannicus

It's a fair to ask, whether the board should release a statement in support of the manager, but on balance it's actually bad idea for the reasons already stated.

Better to be silent and assess the situation as it evolves over the next few weeks through the end if the season and make an announcement only if the board decides to sack Moyes.

We're in freefall right now and if we get the shit pounded out of us by Arsenal et al the board risks a lot more than points on the table. There comes a point in time where, to paraphrase Roberto Duran, you have to say no más. Rene completely outfoxed David yesterday and if we keep seeing the same thing happen over and over the board will have to make a bold decision. So it can't just make an unequivocal statement that it stands by Moyes right now while the club Fergie built is the laughingstock of Europe.

It just isn't "bad luck" that has bedeviled us this season and the board must know that.

Siorac

The time for a statement comes when there are rumours all over the press that he's about to be sacked even though the board don't want to do that. Then they can release a statement to quell the speculation because that can affect share price etc.

As of right now we have to assume that he's got the backing of the board. There are no rumours at all that he might be sacked anytime soon.

Crashoutcassius

I see this place is in full on hysteria mode since last night.

Don't think the board has anything but backing for Moyes. Things will get better in time so we have to ride it through. What amazes me is the amount asking for Moyes head any yet they're the first to comment on Chelsea swapping managers so much - once you're on that roundabout it's difficult to get off.
but this time is different...

Castia

Even with Chelsea's roundabout they have always challenged and in fairness they have probably been under the biggest squad transition in the league over the past 2 years.

I'm not saying we should sack manager after manager but it's clearly not working, he's managing the champions with a squad full of top players. Even without Mata and Fellaini he should have walked 4th place and even that would have been seen as a shit season, 7th is an absolute joke he should resign in principle after this cluster feck of a season.

Kag

No, of course not. They are, by all accounts, firmly behind him and have stated that from the beginning.

You did mention whether Moyes should explain what he is actually trying to achieve, though, and I agree with that. An honest view of how he wants this team to play and what formation he wants to play would be a good start. Or, perhaps, what he does in training to positively influence our passing and movement, amongst other things.

There's a reason he hasn't done that, and I suspect it's because he knows it isn't what we want to hear.

Last edited:

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
It would be absolutely idiotic to release a statement. All that would do is confirm he is going to be sacked within the next month.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Time for Moyes to click board request and ask for extra time to rebuild the squad.

Rednails

Two Stretford Enders I know say they support Moyes at the match because it's the United way and it sets a good example to other clubs supporters. But - you should have heard them going on about it last night. Moyes name was mud.

smallred

Do you think the fans as a whole accept that he's not going to be sacked anytime soon?
pretty much ya. people want him sacked, but nobody believes it will happen. it SHOULD happen, but it wont.

as the song goes, we are stuck with him.

smallred

Two Stretford Enders I know say they support Moyes at the match because it's the United way and it sets a good example to other clubs supporters. But - you should have heard them going on about it last night. Moyes name was mud.
theres another 70,000 like them - its all about saving face at the moment.

Rednails

But don't you think they could become a laughing stock? I don't have an ST any more but the amount of abuse I am getting is beyond a joke at the moment.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unless he has an illicit affair with an employees wife there's going to be no statements.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Should all managers make their plans public?
Of course not. I said I'd like to know what Moyes' plans are, nothing else. Whether he should give us an idea, I'm not sure. It might stop fans getting on his back as much.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not sure a statement would be of much benefit at the moment. An overly positive one would only further disillusion fans who feel the mess this season is just being accepted with open arms. A negative one, without sacking him, is only going to put more pressure on Moyes, and if some players at the club realise the manager is on the edge they may not be overly willing to help him up again considering the attitudes this season, which haven't been great despite Moyes' shocking tactics.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Totally, the evidence for him staying is not based on anything we see, but the understanding there was going to be a massive dip post Fergie and the need for the next man to be given time. The board and SAF knew that in the summer, so they have learned nothing as of yet. The idea that Fergie made such a public hoopla about us supporting the new man shows that everyone knew what might happen.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
To be fair, there were times in the last few years where I'd become pretty disillusioned with some of Fergie's decisions, his playing style, transfer policy and his overall stubbornness. That's not to say I wasn't devastated when he retired, but having stuff like that in my mind did actually make getting a new manager really exciting, the idea that we could potentially no longer have to deal with things like that. Sadly I didn't quite account for the sheer magnitude of other issues we'd encounter instead.
Which is all very well, but beside the point I'm trying to make; that any board cannot be issuing statements willy nilly, it looks like weakness and insecurity.

Cina

Which is all very well, but beside the point I'm trying to make; that any board cannot be issuing statements willy nilly, it looks like weakness and insecurity.
Yeah, I know, I already said they shouldn't earlier on in the thread.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I dont think what the Board says now can really change the opinion of fans who want him out. Just because they come out and say "We support or back him fully", doesnt mean it is going to make a difference.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No need for a statement unless we continue dropping points, he loses a majority of matchgoing fans, and there's a media shitstorm. Right now, only the first of the three is happening.

NoLogo

I don't think it's all about saving face but people know that if they would start to boo in the stadium it probably wouldn't make anything better, quite the opposite. Moyes and the players feel the pressure anyways so adding to that with a bad atmosphere during the game won't really help. Of course supporting them during games doesn't mean you have to be happy with everything at the club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not how it works, is it? And rightly so, I'd say. If they're having doubts about him they'll fire him soon enough. If they're behind him there's no need to make any statement - that's the default stance, as it were, and it would only look awkward if they came out and stated it explicitly.

Fans these days have an unnatural (pardon the expression) craving for information of all sorts, I think.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It's not how it works, is it? And rightly so, I'd say. If they're having doubts about him they'll fire him soon enough. If they're behind him there's no need to make any statement - that's the default stance, as it were, and it would only look awkward if they came out and stated it explicitly.

Fans these days have an unnatural (pardon the expression) craving for information of all sorts, I think.
It's not that unnatural, it just reflects the media's insatiable pursuit of drama, true or otherwise.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not that unnatural, it just reflects the media's insatiable pursuit of drama, true or otherwise.
Yes, you're right. It is natural in that sense. It just ain't healthy, I think. People don't need to have their inclinations in this regard stimulated, as it were. And that is, of course, exactly what the media is doing at all times. Bringing the worst out of people who would be better off minding their own business and enjoying the football - or getting enraged by it, for that matter.

Will Absolute

You can't support David Moyes and have the interests of Manchester United at heart. It's an affectation or hypocrisy. Although one so common that it's not easily recognized.

If you owned United, and you and your family faced destitution if it's fortunes continued to fail, would you bet the future of all you have on David Moyes? Or would you take action to prevent personal disaster?

When there's nothing at stake for you personally, it's easy to be noble because it's what a good fan does. But if the interests of the club come first, he should go.