Timo Werner to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel

Rumour has it we are more interested in Havertz and if that's true, I'm OK with that. Have a feeling he would fit in quicker but I have only seen a very limited amount of him. Werner might be better in the long run but I think we some of the younger players we have, we need someone if fits now and hits the ground running. No idea why but i feel Werner fits chelsea more than he fits us.... as I say no evidence just a feeling. If we are not after Havertz or any other goal scorer, then we should definitely be pushing for Werner
Any chance the 'feeling' came about once it became clear he wasn't signing for us?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why? Lampard knows that he is his best ball winner
Except he hasn’t used him like that so far so what indicates he’s going to change now. Kante is a decent player but you have to play to his strengths, under Lampard Chelsea have just not used that game plan.

Tiber

Wish we would get a lot more businesses done before the window even opens. its a significant advantage

romufc

Wish we would get a lot more businesses done before the window even opens. its a significant advantage
I had this discussion on another thread and got crucified for it..

riis

Supports
Liverpool
But the current situation is completely unprecedented. I'd be absolutely shocked if any club planned for a global pandemic. In any case, all I'm suggesting is Liverpool aren't cash rich this year. They're relying on clubs like Bournemouth spending silly amounts on players like Ibe and Solanke again.
It's definitely an unprecedented situation, and one that will have forced most clubs to change their transfer plans for the summer. I just don't think any change in LFCs plans have come because of clauses in the Coutinho transfer not being met as you suggested, but rather because of fixed income (mainly matchday and TV money) to have been much, much lower than expected.

iHicksy

Now suddenly you have this monster squad that's vastly superior to Chelsea's. :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:
I'd swap Bruno for Mount and Maguire for Cristensen/Zouma/Tomori, but I wouldn't swap anyone else. Your very good form happened to coincide with our poor form (which we were starting to turn around before the virus) which seems to be clouding the minds of quite a few here.
Interesting. Would you not prefer Rashford, AWB, De Gea, Pogba? I'd say those guys are improvements on the current Chelsea team.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's definitely an unprecedented situation, and one that will have forced most clubs to change their transfer plans for the summer. I just don't think any change in LFCs plans have come because of clauses in the Coutinho transfer not being met as you suggested, but rather because of fixed income (mainly matchday and TV money) to have been much, much lower than expected.
Oh absolutely, I never meant that was the main reason. Probably a small part of it.

TrustInJanuzaj

Time will tell but I think Utd are closer to winning the league and having an elite squad compared to Chelsea.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
VVD and Alisson were funded by Coutinho's sale. Our net spend since Klopp arrived is £107m, about 25m a season. Looks like we are going to start the new season with the same squad for the 3rd consecutive year.
Safe to say FSG are penny-pinching owners.
Wahey! “Net spend”, there it is!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Given you have one of the best teams in Europe and managers it's probably come at a good tine for you. It's between Liverpool n City again next season for the title.

Chelsea and United will look to close the gap but won't get that close.

Leicester might fall away a bit. Arsenal should improve. Spurs depends on Jose and if he has his meltdown. Wolves will look to kick on too.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
Wahey! “Net spend”, there it is!
Well yeah- Low net spend, which proves our owners don't buy big without selling. I mean, putting the term into quotations doesn't change the fact.

georgipep

I had this discussion on another thread and got crucified for it..
Well, if you are referring to the Sancho thread and Rozay's comments, I think calling that "got crucified" is an extreme dramatisation.

Rightfully some prefer to try and take full advantage of other clubs' poor financial health and/or avoid bidding wars so we pay the least possible amounts for our targets.

We shouldn't be looking at other teams and how/when they do business but how and when is the best possible time for us. This involves many criteria, not limited to price, payment schedule, time to enter pre-season, etc.

Especially now that pre-season is a purely theoretical concept.

And finally, players are/can be transferred when: a) the selling club agrees to sell at an agreed price, b) the buying club agrees to pay the agreed price (under the agreed schedule) and c) the player agrees personal terms with buying club (which includes complex areas like commercial and image rights, agent fees, family clauses, etc.). Everything else is pure chit-chat and fake news, usually driven by BS ITKs

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, if you are referring to the Sancho thread and Rozay's comments, I think calling that "got crucified" is an extreme dramatisation.

Rightfully some prefer to try and take full advantage of other clubs' poor financial health and/or avoid bidding wars so we pay the least possible amounts for our targets.

We shouldn't be looking at other teams and how/when they do business but how and when is the best possible time for us. This involves many criteria, not limited to price, payment schedule, time to enter pre-season, etc.

Especially now that pre-season is a purely theoretical concept.

And finally, players are/can be transferred when: a) the selling club agrees to sell at an agreed price, b) the buying club agrees to pay the agreed price (under the agreed schedule) and c) the player agrees personal terms with buying club (which includes complex areas like commercial and image rights, agent fees, family clauses, etc.). Everything else is pure chit-chat and fake news, usually driven by BS ITKs
Spot on this one. People are just acting dramatically on something that isn't one.

It's so easy to compare something without looking at the situation & condition to meet the requirement. And it wasn't the first time I've encountered the same poster who likes to compare one thing to another thing that is not even similar.

For this case, not every transfer can be done earlier. Werner has release clause in his contract which was going to be expired in few weeks. That's why clubs were already reported to have contact with Werner to sign him while he's available for reasonable price and that's why it can be done earlier.

Sancho's case is different. He has no release clause & the fees will be massive and need a negotiation process which will take time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wish every players have release clause like Werner. Definitely you can expect more businesses done before it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting. Would you not prefer Rashford, AWB, De Gea, Pogba? I'd say those guys are improvements on the current Chelsea team.
De Gea's been so good the last couple of season's Kepa has managed to win and keep his spot in the Spain side despite entering into a major rut himself. I'd probably take Henderson though in fairness.

Pogba and Rashford yes, Wan Bissaka no unless he can play left back.

If a combined team was done it would be close to half each, which is about right given how close we are in the table.

TrustInJanuzaj

De Gea's been so good the last couple of season's Kepa has managed to win and keep his spot in the Spain side despite entering into a major rut himself. I'd probably take Henderson though in fairness.

Pogba and Rashford yes, Wan Bissaka no unless he can play left back.

If a combined team was done it would be close to half each, which is about right given how close we are in the table.
———————De Gea————————
AWB——Rudier—Maguire——Shaw
———————Kante—————————
————Ferandes——Pogba————
Werner———Martial———Rashford

If Sancho signs for Utd that gives us the RW slot. Then on the bench you are looking at;
Fred>Kovacic
McTominnay>Jorginho
Greenwood>Abraham
Lingard<Mount
Bailly>Zouma

Honestly I don’t even think it’s that close and I understand you’ll turn to the table for support which is fair however, Utds biggest problem has been consistency due to injuries of our key players. We have a much easier run in and I think if everyone stays fit we will best you to 4th.

cyberman

———————De Gea————————
———————Kante—————————
————Ferandes——Pogba————

If Sancho signs for Utd that gives us the RW slot. Then on the bench you are looking at;
Fred>Kovacic
McTominnay>Jorginho
Greenwood>Abraham
Lingard<Mount
Bailly>Zouma

Honestly I don’t even think it’s that close and I understand you’ll turn to the table for support which is fair however, Utds biggest problem has been consistency due to injuries of our key players. We have a much easier run in and I think if everyone stays fit we will best you to 4th.
Kante isnt even a DM. Its so lopsided that you have to look to fit some Chelsea players in.
Scott or Matic gets in either side imo. Mobile defensive misfielders who can cover ground and carry the ball

TrustInJanuzaj

Kante isnt even a DM. Its so lopsided that you have to look to fit some Chelsea players in.
Scott or Matic gets in either side imo. Mobile defensive misfielders who can cover ground and carry the ball
To be honest I agree I just didn’t want to be completely biased. I think on current form Fred and McTomminay are better than Kante anyway but I was trying to give Chelsea at least a couple players. Either way it highlights the job Ole has done, because a year ago I wouldn’t have put so many Utd players in but we have seen rapid improvement in so many of the players who are finally starting to fulfil their potential.

What baffles me is that neutrals still seem to pick Chelsea’s current squad over ours which seems madness.

Untd55

Think some people need to hold their horses over the rating of our squad. What is this based on? The last month of football? It is far too small a sample to say that we now have a better squad.

Mctominay greater than Jorginho and Kate. Don't make me laugh. He can barely pass. Also, it is a myth that Mctominay is good at defending; his stats are worse than Fred in every way.

Martial better than Werner. Questionable. He has a decent season as striker, but let's not go over the top.

Bailly better than Zouma? What is this based on? The guy is injured 90% of the time.

There are still question marks over Fernandes, also. He only played a month of football; it is too early to say he is a success.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
———————De Gea————————
———————Kante—————————
————Ferandes——Pogba————

Fred>Kovacic
McTominnay>Jorginho
Greenwood>Abraham
Lingard<Mount
Bailly>Zouma

James gets in ahead of AWB, on this season's form Kovacic gets in somewhere (Fred better is laughable I'm sorry) as does Ziyech. Neither of our keepers deserve to be in (hence why I plumped for your loanee), given Azpi plays LB there's a valid argument for him over Shaw (for balanced argument I would put Smalling in ahead of Rudiger, I don't rate Rudi as much as most). The deeper midfielder depends on personal preference, although if after the restart he carries on where he left off from the games vs the Merseyside clubs not even your version of Ty would be able to argue against Gilmour being in there. On this season's form Kante shouldn't be near in the side.

You cite injuries like we haven't been having problems, all our important players apart from Azpi, Willian and Mount have had a significant spell on the sidelines.

cyberman

Can we get back to Werner please?

Fred > Kova did genuinely make me chuckle though.
Ive just seen a post that puts James over AWB.
If anything its time to lock the thread and throw away the key

cyberman

Explain further please...
AWB has been called the best one on one defender in the workd by pundits. He is one of the main reasons why we have a great record v top sides, he shuts down elite players and entire flanks on his own.
Not only that but he is improvig going forward as the season goes on.

https://www.football365.com/news/manchester-united-wan-bissaka-50m-opinion

James has done..? Let him do something, apart from getting rinsed v Bayern, before we throw him into the conversation.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
James has done..? Let him do something, apart from getting rinsed v Bayern, before we throw him into the conversation.
If we're going down the route of judging players on one game, didn't Wan Bissaka get his pants pulled down repeatedly at Anfield?

And James has made game changing contributions in the CL (his performance against Ajax was the reason we had that game Vs Bayern that you're holding against him), a tournament AWB is yet to play a single minute in.

Also going by these metrics, shouldn't you have also pulled up your own fan who suggested Greenwood is better than Tammy?
AWB has been called the best one on one defender in the workd by pundits. He is one of the main reasons why we have a great record v top sides, he shuts down elite players and entire flanks on his own.

And Azpi use to do the exact same thing but was never considered one of the very best fullbacks, why? Because in the modern game you need a bit more balanced. While I'd agree he's got better going forward compared to early on (not exactly a high bar) I can't see him ever being better than what Azpi was on the attack over his career, ie acceptable.

TrustInJanuzaj

Agreed with this, James has done nothing compared to AWB.

cyberman

If we're going down the route of judging players on one game, didn't Wan Bissaka get his pants pulled down repeatedly at Anfield?

And James has made game changing contributions in the CL (his performance against Ajax was the reason we had that game Vs Bayern that you're holding against him), a tournament AWB is yet to play a single minute in.

Also going by these metrics, shouldn't you have also pulled up your own fan who suggested Greenwood is better than Tammy?

And Azpi use to do the exact same thing but was never considered one of the very best fullbacks, why? Because in the modern game you need a bit more balanced. While I'd agree he's got better going forward compared to early on (not exactly a high bar) I can't see him ever being better than what Azpi was on the attack over his career, ie acceptable.
In their position, Tammy is nowhere near the level of AWB. Plus Greenwood is only 3 goals behind anyway. So yes?
It just seems like you have an outdated view of AWB. I mean.. Ajax? Where they cut through you time and time again?

We'll leave it there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

This is why it's pointless at times doing these combined XI's Fred and AWB are definitely in over Kovacic & James but then I would say that just as Chelsea fans would say the opposite

Both sets of fans probably think the other are batshit crazy for disagreeing and around and around it goes

meamth

He would probably fail to perform and ended up like Andre Schurle. That would be funny.

Edit:
Has there ever been a German player who dominated the Premier League?

Sane? Not even close.

TrustInJanuzaj

Going by those same metrics, what justification have you got for putting Greenwood over Tammy?
Fair enough, could argue Tammy is more ready to make a more immediate impact but Greenwood is just the far better player so the logic being if you are picking one off the bench you are going to pick the far more talented Greenwood.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Good transfer for both. Werner will fit in there.
And can please some more clubs come out and rip that RB team apart?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In their position, Tammy is nowhere near the level of AWB.
It just seems like you have an outdated view of AWB. I mean.. Ajax? Where they cut through you time and time again?

We'll leave it there.
You should have probably checked when James came on in that match before making such a sweeping statement.

The first half they tore through us at will, the main culprit (Alonso) was replaced by James at half time and I can recall about two chances that whole half (one was a goal) and neither came from James's side, and he got the all important equalizer that ultimately saw us through.

It just seems like you have an outdated view of AWB.
Managers also seem to have these "outdated" views of fullbacks. It's why Azpi struggled to get in the Spain side despite being the best 1 on 1 defender for years.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeh enough of the roundabouts, but Fred has been one of the best midfielders in the league this season and has also beaten Kovacic in his individual battle repeatedly this season so it’s hardly controversial to have him in.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough, could argue Tammy is more ready to make a more immediate impact but Greenwood is just the far better player so the logic being if you are picking one off the bench you are going to pick the far more talented Greenwood.
I actually agree that Greenwood is going to be/is the better player (he's the one player I wish our youth side could have had in the last few years and I didn't even feel that with Sancho when he was at City) I was just making the point that if we're going to base things on who's done the most so far (which is the main argument for AWB Vs Reece) then Tammy at this moment should be considered the better of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.