Timo Werner to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Glad he’s either subbed Liverpool or their finances are too fecked to compete.
We haven't even made a bid, apparently because of financial constraints.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Looking at the wage he's getting, I think they priced us out. He'd be the highest paid player at Liverpool on 200k a week.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m still not that convinced he’s actually all that. Wasn’t worried when Liverpool were supposedly getting him and I’m not particularly concerned by Chelsea either.

Pav1878

I don't care how many signings our rivals make because it matters diddly squat. Our future and our destiny is solely in our hands.
Yes to a degree, but isn't that what competitive sport is all about? The success or failure of teams is based on how one team improves whilst another doesn't .

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Looking at the wage he's getting, I think they priced us out. He'd be the highest paid player at Liverpool on 200k a week.
I think the fee was just the initial hurdle which they didn't even get over. If he was as dead set on us as certain journos made us believe, he would've accepted a bit less than £200k to join us.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
Because they probably think Abraham is having a purple patch... as do I.

I’ve seen that kid look a donkey whilst on loan for years. Could not believe how good he was for Lampard.

I could well be wrong, but I think they want a safer bet.
A donkey?
He scored over 50 goals over 2 seasons on loan in the championship, as a teenager.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's the kind of player that won't succeed in every system and has trouble adapting to certain games, particularly more closed games.

He's been terrific this season but I'd be very wary of this transfer, he's perfect at exploiting the high lines most Bundesliga defenses play but I don't believe it will translate to anywhere near the same level in other leagues.

Still, if they ever play a 4-4-2 with him and Abraham/Giroud upfront then that's a very good combination to have and they have loads of fast creative players to play him in space and counterattack (Pulisic/Willian/Ziyech).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Van Dijk is on £250k apparently. If he’s not you’re going to struggle to keep him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
too much fifa? i havent played that game since 1995 :lol::lol:. (used to be a trick where you tapped a button while running and couldnt be tackled, great times) anyway; We all want the youth in but if you are losing 4-5 first teamers, you cant put entire youth to replace. It doesnt happen like that. We already have 2 signings in. A LB, and possibly a winger i think are nailed on. It's common knowledge
You've signed a winger. You buying another as well?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
So an aging Pedro and Willian swapped for Ziyech and Werner who are in their mid twenties. Then we're apparently very serious about Chilwell to replace (I assume) Emerson who is sought after by a few Italian clubs.

Getting younger as well as upgrading pretty substantially. We could conceivably get all 3 of these players combined for what Sancho may cost. Not bad business.

KennyBurner

Timo Werner is one of those players that I don’t get the hype with. I just think he’s a good player. I guess it all depends on how creative ziyech is.

it’s also good for us as they won’t have enough cash left for sancho. This league is becoming more competitive each year.

RedTiger

Half mast
Yes to a degree, but isn't that what competitive sport is all about? The success or failure of teams is based on how one team improves whilst another doesn't .
If we get (and I sincerely hope we do) Sancho, we will have totally changed our attack and midfield within a season and a half. If Ighalo can give us cover for at least 1 season then I can hinedtly see us bringing in haaland as our next "big" signing. We really are strengthening at the same pace as our rivals so we should be good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Timo Werner is one of those players that I don’t get the hype with. I just think he’s a good player. I guess it all depends on how creative ziyech is.

it’s also good for us as they won’t have enough cash left for sancho. This league is becoming more competitive each year.
Very quick, good movement in the box and always in the game. He’s improved a lot on his finishing this season also.

Irrational.

Great price if true. Chelsea have done some shrewd business so far. Werner and Ziyech for under the price we paid for Lukaku is a bargain.

Pulisic, CHO, Ziyech, Abraham and Werner (and Pedro and Willian in the wings) looks like a nice combination of different styles of forward.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not so sure the wage is the issue. Just don't think you have the money for a big transfer. I read somewhere that Coutinho hasn't triggered all the clauses for his transfer as well, meaning your cash reservoirs are lower than expected?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
You've signed a winger. You buying another as well?
again, Ziyech as confirmed by Lampard signed to play in the creative role behind the striker. Werner will likely play upfront where he is very good. Not hard to understand. Therefore, we havent really signed an out and out winger, given the fact 2 are leaving us on frees

Pav1878

If we get (and I sincerely hope we do) Sancho, we will have totally changed our attack and midfield within a season and a half. If Ighalo can give us cover for at least 1 season then I can hinedtly see us bringing in haaland as our next "big" signing. We really are strengthening at the same pace as our rivals so we should be good.
I really hope you're right. That would be amazing

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's the kind of player that won't succeed in every system and has trouble adapting to certain games, particularly more closed games.

He's been terrific this season but I'd be very wary of this transfer, he's perfect at exploiting the high lines most Bundesliga defenses play but I don't believe it will translate to anywhere near the same level in other leagues.

Still, if they ever play a 4-4-2 with him and Abraham/Giroud upfront then that's a very good combination to have and they have loads of fast creative players to play him in space and counterattack (Pulisic/Willian/Ziyech).
I agree with the first point, I really doubt his ability to play as a pure striker in a 4-2-3-1. He had some success initially with Germany but then his form wavered, he's always played with a 2 striker system at Leipzeg (either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2) and from his record you can see he's been tremendously successfull.

I think Chelsea's best bet would be to play the similar 3-5-2 that Nageslmann plays. Werner with Abraham would suit both plays and is very similar to the partnership Werner has had at Leipzeg (first with Poulsen and now with Schick). Werner will have the freedom to roam the pitch like he prefers and then make late runs to score goals.

I would go with something like:

GK
----Christensen--Zouma--Rudiger---
James-----------------------------Alonso
------------------Kante--------------------
-----------Mount----Kovacic---------------
-------Werner------Abraham----------

Although this obviously leaves out Chelsea's other two big signings in Pulisic and Ziyech, I think it plays to the strengths of some of their other players like Werner, Kante, James and Alonso. The other formation would be the 4-2-3-1 with Pulisic and Ziyech on either wings but I don't know how good Werner would be in there.

Brightonian

Good signing by Chelsea, albeit not a cheap one. They've done good business between him and Ziyech.

Somewhat raises the pressure on us to get Sancho done . A rival top four contender strengthening and it's likely City and Liverpool will too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Fair play to Chelsea on this one - Ziyech and Werner in and the window hasn't even opened yet. If that's their lot, that's a pretty good window given the current situation.

Really hope we get Sancho in now. Worry that clubs will be willing to all in for him if Werner's future is decided (namely Liverpool).

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

Not joining Liverpool then. I think Liverpool must be waiting for Mbappe or Sancho.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Van Dijk is on £250k apparently. If he’s not you’re going to struggle to keep him.
Thought he was on less. I heard Werner getting 200k per week would've made him our highest paid player. Might be wrong.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
Good signing by Chelsea.
We Liverpool fans should just enjoy every minute under Klopp because once he leaves, we're fecked. FSG are worse than Glazers. No major signings since Alisson.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Not so sure the wage is the issue. Just don't think you have the money for a big transfer. I read somewhere that Coutinho hasn't triggered all the clauses for his transfer as well, meaning your cash reservoirs are lower than expected?
Yeah and we also paid a lot for Alisson & Van Dijk. Some of that was on agent fees as well. They were worth it obviously but it's having a negative impact on our budget now. We signed no one last summer and I wouldn't be surprised if did little in this window as well.

I do think our squad is in decent shape for the next couple of years though. We'll lose Lallana and probably Milner soon, possibly Lovren too. Our best players still have a good number of years in them though.

izec

With him and Ziyech, they have strengthend quite a bit. If they strengthen the defense a bit more, maybe a new GK or defender, they will be positioned well for next season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who needs Werner when we've got Ighalo on loan?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
again, Ziyech as confirmed by Lampard signed to play in the creative role behind the striker. Werner will likely play upfront where he is very good. Not hard to understand. Therefore, we havent really signed an out and out winger, given the fact 2 are leaving us on frees
Kante, Kovaic and Jorginho fit in how exactly? Surely all 3 of them are too good to be a sub.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Not joining Liverpool then. I think Liverpool must be waiting for Mbappe or Sancho.
That'll be it. Explains why the only player they've forked out on since becoming the best team in the world is Minimannino (or whatever).

Going to say it. Liverpool are not making the most of their time in the limelight.

Now watch them pip us to Sancho.

Infestissumam

doesn't bother me all that much. I'd have been pissed if he had gone to Pool because Klopp would have probably unlocked yet another gear in him, but I don't worry about Chelsea all that much. Werner/Ziyech/Pulisic is cute on paper and might actually work, but it's not a lineup that strikes me with fear either.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am more pissed we didn't get Ziyech to be honest. But they aren't messing about, hopefully Woody wakes up and buys a couple of players, especially right winger
these are the sort of players we should be buying (Ziyech, Werner etc) ie youngish players, on realistic fees who'll improve the squad.. Instead we'll probably spend 120m on a winger from a club that made Kagawa, Dembele & Mkhitaryan look like world class players.

izec

these are the sort of players we should be buying (Ziyech, Werner etc) ie youngish players, on realistic fees who'll improve the squad.. Instead we'll probably spend 120m on a winger from a club that made Kagawa, Dembele & Mkhitaryan look like world class players.
I am worried we won't be getting Sancho. Lets be honest, it would be daft to pay over 100m for him. I can see Dortmund keeping him if we don't cough up the money. Then we will have to worry once some good and attainable players are off the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.