Timo Werner to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

tbf I wouldn't expect a club of Chelsea's calibre to continue with just Tammy Abraham as main striker. They needed to buy. Be more interested to see will the likes of Reece James and Mount keep getting games, which I think they will
Giroud resigned and Chelsea only play with one center forward. Werner can play as a left or right forward, but Chelsea also has a lot of existing and incoming players for wide positions on the forward line. Werner isn't going to be transferred and paid to rotate, he's being paid to lock down a position that directly involves Abraham.

It's nice that Chelsea have finally started to incorporate their academy players within their first team set up if not starting XI, but Mount and Abraham, two of their early season purple patch kids, now have the youth narrative out the window. Pulisic isn't their youth player and with Ziyech and potentially Werner coming it. Is RLC going to be able to stay fit and compete with Kovacic, Barkley, CHO, Mount, etc.? Looks like Chelsea have one or two too many players who should seriously consider leaving to get more playing time and solidify their place in the young and competitive England senior team.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Another shrewd bit of business by Chelsea if true, him and the lad from Ajax will improve them a lot

Dispute their fans delusions they never had a chance with the likes of Sancho but these are good signings and solidified them as a top 4 side

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Well I wouldn’t mind this. Would hopefully keep them away from Sancho and Werner away from Pool. Chelsea also have a bad track record of signing centre forwards with fierce track records.

cyberman

Well I wouldn’t mind this. Would hopefully keep them away from Sancho and Werner away from Pool. Chelsea also have a bad track record of signing centre forwards with fierce track records.
Yeah, its the perfect signing for a United fan

Garry Buck

Really don’t know why we are saying it’s great for us.

He is a fantastic player, they are getting him for pretty much feck all and he greatly improves a Top 4 rival.

On top of that we could have been in for him and that in no way makes it a certainty that we get Sancho.

Sancho will cost double than Werner and Ed’s already said we will not be spending crazy money.

Pav1878

If we pull this off ill be pleased with him and Ziyech so far. Still think a LB, CB and winger needed, too
Absolutely, if this happens you've signed two of the players I wanted this summer.
Great signings if this is true!

El Zoido

That sailed out the window fairly quick.
Pretty much guarentees Sancho as ours imo
Only if we move on him this summer. If we wait until next year there will probably be a lot more competition for his signature.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Werner will often play with Tammy if we sign him. He's not a replacement.

Also, I think United fans can stop even mentioning us in relation to Sancho. We almost certainly ended our interest after we signed Ziyech. Even if we hadn't signed him we'd be priced out. It's either United or Real Madrid for him, so relax.
I agree. Don't think Sancho will be moving this summer. Next year there'll be a lot of interest, but don't think you will be in the running with the options you might have (will probably go for cheaper options to replace Willian/Pedro with Pulisic, Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi the main options).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Hoping these Chelsea rumours aren’t true as I think will do a good job for them.

If he had gone to Liverpool I reckon Klopp would have struggled to juggle the embarrassment of riches and he might have flopped but Chelsea looks a great fit with the style of play. He will be given more freedom to roam and less intense environment generally.

For me a team which presses but plays a high tempo brand of possession football with a mix of counter attack is what suits him. Liverpool dominate possession too much for a player like Werner who thrives on space and getting in behind and also he likes to drift to left side which would have been occupied by Mane and Robertson.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Sigh, wanted us to sign him. Think he'll do brilliantly for Chelsea.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Good signing for Chelsea. That means they have now replaced Willian and Pedro with Ziyech and Werner. That gives them an AM of: Ziyech, Werner, CHO and Pulisic. Also, Werner also gives them the option to play two up top alongside either Giroud of Abraham. They still have issues elsewhere but that is a pretty good start in my opinion.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Good news for United and Liverpool. He'll make Chelsea better but not worth the money. With him and Ziyech signed, Chelsea is out of the market for further attacking signings and more attractive targets still remain.

RUCK4444

exactly. And now he’s headed to Chelsea. So the talk about us going for him, however small compared to the Liverpool chat might have had some truth behind it.
In fairness would had been nice to get both. He would have been an upgrade on Martial as the number 9 imo. Hopefully Tony kicks on again though.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Someone please explain to me why Chelsea have been so desperate for a striker when Tammy Abraham is among top scorers in the league

RUCK4444

Someone please explain to me why Chelsea have been so desperate for a striker when Tammy Abraham is among top scorers in the league
Because they probably think Abraham is having a purple patch... as do I.

I’ve seen that kid look a donkey whilst on loan for years. Could not believe how good he was for Lampard.

I could well be wrong, but I think they want a safer bet.

Pav1878

Man i would have loved for us to get Werner. He's that sort of lead from the front kind of striker we need.

Here's to hoping to Rashford and Martial stepping up another level next year.

redshaw

Not so good news if the player keeps them in top 4 and we're eternally 5th.

Pav1878

Good news for United and Liverpool. He'll make Chelsea better but not worth the money. With him and Ziyech signed, Chelsea is out of the market for further attacking signings and more attractive targets still remain.
I think it's good if Liverpool don't get him, but Chelsea are looking really strong if they keep making signings like this.

We need less teams in the running next year not more so this is still bad news for me

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Tammy so the classic #9. He's big, strong, and is excellent inside the box. His problem is that inside the box is the only real area he's a threat in. Werner on the other hand is very versatile, quick, and is dangerous in multiple areas.

Currently with Tammy and Giroud we have only one type of striker.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I was under the impression that most of the links between Sancho and Chelsea dried up some time ago. It's not inconceivable that Liverpool will decide/have decided to pursue Sancho, themselves.

Essentially, it is very difficult to know, with such limited information, whether Werner to Chelsea is good or bad news for us.
If Liverpool weren't shelling out £50m for Werner because of financial constraints I don't think they'll be shelling out £100m+ for Sancho.

Garry Buck

Not so good news if the player keeps them in top 4 and we're eternally 5th.
I agree. It‘s crazy how many people on here are saying it’s great news for us.

He is a great striker and him and Ziyech will be fantastic for them.

I highly doubt we will get Sancho because of how much he will cost.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Really don’t know why we are saying it’s great for us.

He is a fantastic player, they are getting him for pretty much feck all and he greatly improves a Top 4 rival.

On top of that we could have been in for him and that in no way makes it a certainty that we get Sancho.

Sancho will cost double than Werner and Ed’s already said we will not be spending crazy money.
As soon as Ighalo extended his loan it was likely we weren't getting him. Hopefully Marcus is back, Martial and Greenwood gives us plenty of firepower.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

arnie_ni

Messed about too much on that one. Could've had it done ages ago and didn't move on him for whatever reason.

Could be financial constraints I suppose. Good signing for Chelsea.
Your owners could be getting it tight.

Dont they own the red sox? The money they would be hemorrhaging on wages to them would be colossal

PoTMS

It's great news for United apparently. Until the clock strikes twelve on Sept 1 and you realise we haven't signed Sancho and we have Martial/Rashford on the injury table.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Isn't there a time limit on when the bid has to go in regarding release clause?
Think I read some time ago that there were 10 days left to trigger the release clause yeah, or something like that. Not sure how long ago that was but things have to be wrapped up by the end of this week, I suppose. Doesn't look like we'll put in an official bid if it hasn't happened by now.

He'll strengthen Chelsea, but I haven't been convinced about him from what I've seen at the World Cup. Haven't watched him enough at Leipzig to really have an opinion about him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Your owners could be getting it tight.

Dont they own the red sox? The money they would be hemorrhaging on wages to them would be colossal
Wouldn't surprise me if they've tightened things up following Covid. We paid a lot for Van Dijk & Alisson plus I think we're waiting on Coutinho money from Barcelona.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
We have same list of targets every summer. We rarely get them all or even most.

If you get Werner and Chilwell in addition to Ziyech you've had a blinder. Lampard isn't going to throw his young players away just like that. He's definitely not the sort. Too much fifa mate me thinks. Chelsea have an amazing crop of young talent and all you want is 6 signings. Haven't you learned the lesson?
too much fifa? i havent played that game since 1995 :lol::lol:. (used to be a trick where you tapped a button while running and couldnt be tackled, great times) anyway; We all want the youth in but if you are losing 4-5 first teamers, you cant put entire youth to replace. It doesnt happen like that. We already have 2 signings in. A LB, and possibly a winger i think are nailed on. It's common knowledge

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea's problems aren't in attack, their short comings are defensive and in goal. In addition, their central midfield is a bit open at times which isn't good if you have Jorghinho as part of your defensive block. Werner is a good talent and much more consistent, but don't see him lining up as a right forward or on the right side when there's Ziyech, CHO, Pulisic, and Mount playing from the flanks.

If you're Abraham, do you start looking for a new club in the next year or two? Spurs could move Kane, Arsenal could move PEA, City need a new center forward but not sure if he's that much better than Jesus.
One of Chelsea's biggest issue this season has definitely been in attack.
Abraham is the leading goal scorer yet he misses numerous chances, chelsea is 2nd in most chances created but have a very poor conversion rate .
Theres also not enough goals from midfield and wide players.

RedTiger

Half mast
I think it's good if Liverpool don't get him, but Chelsea are looking really strong if they keep making signings like this.

We need less teams in the running next year not more so this is still bad news for me
I don't care how many signings our rivals make because it matters diddly squat. Our future and our destiny is solely in our hands.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Alvaro Morata has more or less paid for this deal. His £49m fee became payable on July 1st. Not literally of course but whatever we have paid now we make straight back in a matter of weeks. Vital in the current climate

When would he join
Have they nailed all this down yet

July?
End of Bundesliga season?
End of PL season?

Alvaro Morata has more or less paid for this deal. His £49m fee became payable on July 1st. Not literally of course but whatever we have paid now we make straight back in a matter of weeks. Vital in the current climate
Option to buy? Or obligation?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Glad he’s either subbed Liverpool or their finances are too fecked to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.