Timothy Fosu-Mensah image 24

Timothy Fosu-Mensah Netherlands flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Huh? He mostly played centre back. Was playing full back, both sides, just prior to his first team call up by LVG. Joyce played him in midfield a few times, even as a #10. But he was not naturally a centre midfielder in our reserves and did not mostly play there for them.
He has played mostly at CB and RB for the Netherlands youth teams as well, and I'd read he played right midfield for Ajax Jong fairly often before LvG brought him here with Blind.

I don't think any of us really know what his best position is. His versatility seems to suggest he doesn't have one yet. Based on his speed and physicality, he looks like Valencia's direct replacement if there ever was one, but there's a lot more to that position than running and strength. He could end up anywhere.

It will be interesting to see how De Boer uses him. I assume De Boer will know a lot about him, being at Ajax at the same time.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I agree, he appears to have regressed from his first season and has not had a great pre season either. He wont get better without playing though and as you mention De Boer is a good coach for young players so in theory this is a great loan move. Lets hope it pans out alright for TFM
I think he's looked decent in preseason myself. Looked calmer and his positioning improved the more games he played. But I agree the game time is exactly what he needs, hopefully he stays fit and impresses there.

MeUnited

from what I saw last season, he is currently nowhere close to be worthy of regular game time at United. Though msucular and strong, he looks raw and his positioning is clumsy at times. De Boer is techically first class so TFM will leran lots and develop quickly if his attitude is right and he works as hard as he possibly can.
Agreed. I don't understand the clamouring for him to be involved right now. I think a lot of it is he was somewhat of a big name for a youth player, so when we signed him he was already held in possibly too high a regard right from the start. He plays like he doesn't have a brain, defensively and offensively. Definitely needs to develop. Tuanzebe looks a much better player at CB and RB right now for me.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he intelligent enough to play DM? If not, rather have him flying down the right flank as a RB then.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Crystal Palace play like the following:
--------------------------Benteke------------------------

---------------Zaha-----------------Lokilo---------------

van Aanholt---Puncheon---Loftus-Cheek---Townsend

------------Riedewald---Dann---Milivojevic*-------------

--------------------------Speroni-------------------------

*Milivojevic (Crystal Palace's new signing) is a defensive midfielder. The acquisition of TFM will allow Milivojevic to be deployed as a defensively minded midfielder in the starting berth. Riedewald has the versatility to play as a LB, LCB and DM, which has seen him deployed him on the left of a back three. With Fosu Mensah having the versatility to play as a RB, RCB, and DM, CM, perhaps TFM will be deployed on the right side of the back three. This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as Jose would get perspective on how TFM operates in a more natural role, seeing as TFM came to the club as a CB and continues to be used in that position for the Netherlands at youth level.

Neilwij

Hope he does well at palace would be good to see him get more game time. Has the potential to be a beast.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Well done Jose. I think he needs this loan. A few minutes here and there wouldn't help won't help him find some consistency in his performances. He's not performed that well the last few times he's been on.

I've noted in the past how his close friendship with the likes of Pogba and Martial could be affecting his attitude, thinking like he's made it. Going away on loan and having to be his own man could do good.

Hope he does a Pereira.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He needs games so it's best he goes on loan. I wish he would have got them at United, interchanging with Valencia, but I guess Jose is just not a manager who likes to rotate.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosh...he and Daily were the only players playing defense. Fosu got the ball away from Mbappe twice and didn't look overmatched at all.

He's a natural at right back, but you could see his endurance still isn't completely there. He's the fastest guy on United's squad and he's got the same amount of tenaciousness as Bailly...but his youth is still visible when it comes to pacing himself.
People talk about Rashford being fast. Fosu is way faster than Rashford. (Maybe Kyle Walker fast)

He also has a problem getting back on defense when he does anything attack related in the final third. Tonight, when the Netherlands had time to set their defense...and Fosu was set...he was there to make 3 great clearances... but late in the game, the French counter attacks ran through their defense when Fosu was jogging back.

He's going to be REALLY good at right back. We all remember what he did against the Spurs two seasons ago before he got hurt in that game. If he can stay healthy he's going to provide a lot more of those types of performances.

He's gotta stay healthy though.

NoPace

His strength and hunger to get to the ball defensively is very impressive. Poor going forward, but his pace means he's at least sort of a threat on the counter. I think he's going to end up as a CB, but potentially an excellent one. Or he'll replace Darmian as the fullback Mourinho trusts defensively against scary wingers or in tougher games.

He and Robben were the only player on the Dutch side who looked capable of competing physically/athletically with the French. Rest were a step or 2 too slow.

Mike09

Too rush & no composure to be a centre back

Not great in going forward to be a modern right back

Poor positioning & tactical awareness & mentality to play in midfield

He has to know what is his best position so he can focus, learn and develop. But he loves defending so I reckon he will be a defender not a midfielder. I remember he said that he prefer centre back or midfield as his favourite position. But the most important right now is getting a lot of game times, pleased that he made his international debut. He's going to be one hell of the player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Too rush & no composure to be a centre back

Not great in going forward to be a modern right back

Poor positioning & tactical awareness & mentality to play in midfield

He has to know what is his best position so he can focus, learn and develop. But he loves defending so I reckon he will be a defender not a midfielder. I remember he said that he prefer centre back or midfield as his favourite position. But the most important right now is getting a lot of game times, pleased that he made his international debut. He's going to be one hell of the player.
So what now?

Mike09

So what now?
Just because he has weakness now doesn't mean he can't be one hell of the player in the future alright? You are ignoring my sentence when I said "focus, learn, & develop"

Shuriken

Does anyone else think that TFM's
status as a starter has now all but evaporated with the appointment of Roy Hodgson?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
status as a starter has now all but evaporated with the appointment of Roy Hodgson?
The signing of Sakho and a move to a back four will have done that I imagine. Shame since he has been good. Hopefully Hodgson will use him at least some what regularly.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why?
He's been one of their best players and is better in the back four.

limerickcitykid

Why?
He's been one of their best players and is better in the back four.
I think it is naive to think just because he has been good he'll keep starting. Sakho is only just coming in and is a huge signing so definitely a starter. Dann has also been pretty good and is a big part of their attacking play off set pieces as well. In a back four which of those two is he really likely to be played over regularly?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it is naive to think just because he has been good he'll keep starting. Sakho is only just coming in and is a huge signing so definitely a starter. Dann has also been pretty good and is a big part of their attacking play off set pieces as well. In a back four which of those two is he really likely to be played over regularly?
He has played at right back for Crystal Palace whenever they've switched to back four or on the right side of a three man defense. So I'm not sure what Sakho or Dann has to do with him.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He has played at right back for Crystal Palace whenever they've switched to back four or on the right side of a three man defense. So I'm not sure what Sakho or Dann has to do with him.
I've only watched Palace once this season and that was the weekend vs Burnley. They played a back 4 and he was centre back next to Dann. I agree with the sentiment in this thread, expecting De Boers exit to spell the end of consistent starts for TFM. Think Roy will go for experience, hope I'm wrong.

Classical Mechanic

He is competing with Joel Ward at RB. Ward played every single game for Palace last season and since they have been in the PL he has appeared in 36, 37, 30 & 38 league games for them.

He has a fight on his hands I think, unless Roy goes 3-5-2.

limerickcitykid

Which games were these because I've watched all 4 of their games and don't recall him playing at RB in any. Joel Ward has played every game as well and he is the RB. But my memory is a bit shit.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't he a capable midfielder? If Woy moves to a back four and can't see a place for him, he might fancy putting him in midfield to add a bit of power and quality.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's good enough to force himself into that side no matter who the manager. Might play a little less for the next few weeks but I expect him to establish himself under Roy eventually

mad1max954

He has a fight on his hands I think, unless Roy goes 3-5-2.
Which Woy is very unlikely to do. He will go 451, be defensively solid and try and nick a goal. Its a bit early to say palace are in a dog fight, but going with experience right now makes sense.

Kostov

The best thing that could happen for us and for Fosu-Mensah is Hodgson playing him at RB. TFM developing and getting games at RB ready to take over Valencia is his best chance of making it here. The stats about the number of games Joel Ward played for them, and him being a starter worries me though.

Bwuk

If Mensah can't get in ahead of Joel Ward you've got to worry about his chances here.

Dobbs

I see the hilarious "Woy" stuff has resumed.

I think TFM will be fine. That physicality and attitude should suit Hodgson and Palace's situation well. It's not like he's some peripheral flair player.

Classical Mechanic

Which Woy is very unlikely to do. He will go 451, be defensively solid and try and nick a goal. Its a bit early to say palace are in a dog fight, but going with experience right now makes sense.
He might get that slot as the midfield destroyer in that formation. His specialities are tackling and intercepting after all.

The key factor might be that Ward is English.
The key factor is that Ward has been firmly established in Palace's first team primarily as a right back since Palace were promoted. He plays nearly every game for them. His 'experience' factor is high. Him being English is only a minor point if TFM wants the RB position.

RooneyLegend

Reckon they'll opt for a Dann and Sakho defensive partnership despite him being very impressive in their last couple of performances especially vs Burnley.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Reckon they'll opt for a Dann and Sakho defensive partnership despite him being very impressive in their last couple of performances especially vs Burnley.
If he's gonna be starting on the bench he may aswell just come and sit on ours.

RooneyLegend

If he's gonna be starting on the bench he may aswell just come and sit on ours.
Don't think Jose will trust him at center half, reckon he'll still be closer to getting into their side given how many defenders we have.

POF

He is an incredibly talented player but there is certainly an argument for Palace to "stop the rot" by going with a more experienced player in defence.

Right back is clearly his best chance of breaking into the United side. He is a fantastic athlete, is lightning fast and his final ball is terrible. He's the perfect replacement for Valencia.

Status
Not open for further replies.