Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

crossy1686

career ending
Never really understood the draw of ships that sank or sunken vessels. Sweden has one too, the Vasa, it’s the definition of over engineering, they made it the fastest, most powerful boat in the ocean but no one bothered to check if it could actually sail. Sure enough it sank about 15 minutes into its maiden voyage when it tried to turn while moving at speed.

They rescued it from the bottom of the ocean years ago and now it has its own museum, people come from all over to see it. Literally a failed project, total waste of time and money but people want to see it for some reason.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Literally a failed project, total waste of time and money but people want to see it for some reason.
Well I'm sure you get visits from family and friends as well. So it shouldn't be difficult for you to understand.

lsd

The Oracle
As morbid as it is in now interested to see them find the sub and find out if they turned on each other when things got desperate

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The memes are outstanding. It's obviously a tragedy but it is ultimately self inflicted. I just hope they were all fully aware of the risk.
The dark humor on twitter, never seen anything quite like this.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Well, I mean…
Exactly. No sane person would see the price and think: "Yes. Those are reasonable costs for a project of this magnitude. There's nothing that could go wrong. Wait, what's that sign? Skydiving for 30 cents? Sounds like fun".

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Any update on whether they can still hear the sounds that were reported the other day?
US Navy reported that those banging sounds were likely "background noises from the ocean itself".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why it wasn't approved to be sent earlier, when it could make a difference, is beyond me. Now it's just pointless, other than to find the wreckage
Apparently sat at a U.S. doc since Monday. The owners were keen to get out there but delays stopped them. Questions need to be asked why

ChrisNelson

This whole thing is beyond grim.

I wouldn't get in that metal tube above ground with the door open.

To think people have been willing to pay all that money to get in it, be sealed by 7 external bolts then go down all that way while relying on a PS controller just completely boggles my mind.

It's awful to think it wasn't even like sh1t we're in trouble, then five minutes later they're dead - we're talking about literally days in this box before they (presumably have now) expired.

One of the worst stories I can ever remember hearing about.

Chief123

I think the one thing that would have rang alarm bells for me and cause me not to do this is the price. A quarter million sounds far too cheap for something like this.
To be fair, there aren’t many comparison websites you could go on to see what kind of deal you’re getting. :lol:

Zen86

Never really understood the draw of ships that sank or sunken vessels. Sweden has one too, the Vasa, it’s the definition of over engineering, they made it the fastest, most powerful boat in the ocean but no one bothered to check if it could actually sail. Sure enough it sank about 15 minutes into its maiden voyage when it tried to turn while moving at speed.

They rescued it from the bottom of the ocean years ago and now it has its own museum, people come from all over to see it. Literally a failed project, total waste of time and money but people want to see it for some reason.
The pyramids are just a big pile of rocks, but people want to see those as well for some reason.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That’s what I mean. For all this to be safe, I think it would need to be more expensive. That’s why I wouldn’t have been comfortable with this in the first place.
Let me tell you about £9 international flights

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I hope that somewhere, floating on the top of the ocean, a hatch opens up and the voice of a CEO says "thank you all for participating in the first trial of our three day shit-in-a-bin underwater experience."

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
From a historical and philosophical perspective I would be genuinely curious to know if and when they considered that traditional and well reasoned custom of the sea, to preserve the remaining oxygen.

My perhaps prejudiced suspicion is that class and lifestyle would preclude those aboard from engaging in such a noble and ingenious act.

Or maybe the chemicals released from decaying corpses would make it an unviable survival strategy.

crossy1686

career ending
The pyramids are just a big pile of rocks, but people want to see those as well for some reason.
An achievement for the times no? That took proper effort with the technology they had available at the time. If they built them and then they all fell down because they were shit it would be comparable, but a wonder of the world isn't comparable to a ship that couldn't do the thing it was built to do.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
So i was just told they found it (or parts), is that true?

MDFC Manager

The ocean is a noisy place, could be all sorts of things. Even fish make lots of sounds to communicate with each other
Read somewhere that they discovered banging noises even while searching for the MH370. Couldn't ultimately locate the source of it.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
The debris field is on the sea floor by the Titanic, and was discovered by an ROV.

If it turns out that the sub had suffered a hull faillure, it would have imploded and broken into many pieces.

While tragic, this would be the quickest and best death given the circumstances.

Boycott

I think the allure is that navigating the seas as a form of transport and therefore vessell building goes back to ancient history so there is a primitive connection to it.

binary bot
that would be some of the better possible news, no? implosion?