g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Title Race 22/23

Jericho

City just don't seem hungry enough for this one, we need to capitalize on that. Arsenal may too much momentum to catch them now, but we need to be there incase they feck it up. We're up against it in terms of winning the league, but 2nd is there for the taking IMO.

croadyman

Man. City got this habit of dropping silly points all through the season. That's why I don't think they're just going to saunter right through to win league.

I've lost track now, how much is Arsenal lead in race if they win at Leicester and then beat Everton at home in their spare game?
Depends how City fare at Bournemouth

Amsterdam Devil

City just don't seem hungry enough for this one, we need to capitalize on that. Arsenal may too much momentum to catch them now, but we need to be there incase they feck it up. We're up against it in terms of winning the league, but 2nd is there for the taking IMO.
Momentum? This is their first win in 5 games. They just can’t score and get to nervous. Lets hope Jesus and Partey stay injured a lot longer, their back-ups are just not good enough. Their squad looks even more thin than ours.

City is so inconsistent this season, although they were really unlucky today. If we win are next couple of games we might be in the title race. To early for me to hope. Arsenal will probably win their next games.

croadyman

Momentum? This is their first win in 5 games. They just can’t score and get to nervous. Lets hope Jesus and Partey stay injured a lot longer, their back-ups are just not good enough. Their squad looks even more thin than ours.

City is so inconsistent this season, although they were really unlucky today. If we win are next couple of games we might be in the title race. To early for me to hope. Arsenal will probably win their next games.
Well for a team who can't score they managed four today, also they will definitely win their next 3 games opening up a massive lead on us in the meantime

Amsterdam Devil

Well for a team who can't score they managed four today, also they will definitely win their next 3 games opening up a massive lead on us in the meantime
In the last four games before today they scored 2 goals, one of them a penalty.

Emery was very naive today, kept attacking and gave Arsenal a lot of room to play. Brentford and Newcastle showed how to play against Arsenal. Arteta doesn’t really have a plan B.

lolok

Clearly United is 3rd behind Arsenal and City for the title, but Arsenal has a brutal end to the season. 5 of 9 away and even though Pool and Chelsea aren't hitting the heights of previous years--- it's still a rough stretch of 4 away matches out of 6 to Pool, West Ham, City and Newcastle. Home matches against Chelsea and Brighton aren't easy either. Arsenal could literally collapse and drop a ton of points in their final 9 matches.

If City or United are 3 or 4 points back with 9 to go-- I like their chances to leapfrog Arsenal- and you aren't out of it even if you are 6 points back with 9 to play. If United win 5 of their next 6, they are solidly back in this race, bc United's fixture list in the final 9 matches is way easier than Arsenal's. The problem is-- United face Liverpool, Brighton and Newcastle away in the next 6 matches. 2 wins out of 3 there will be a tall order-- not to mention winning all 3 of their home matches.

Sorry if the cut and paste of Arsenal's fixture list fills the screen-- I couldn't figure out how to shrink the size.

Saturday, April 08(A)

Liverpool
10:00 AMPremier LeagueAnfield
Saturday, April 15(A)

West Ham United
10:00 AMPremier LeagueLondon Stadium
Saturday, April 22(H)

Southampton
10:00 AMPremier LeagueEmirates Stadium
Wednesday, April 26(A)

Man City
3:00 PMPremier LeagueEtihad Stadium
Saturday, April 29(H)

Chelsea
Saturday, May 06(A)

Newcastle United
10:00 AMPremier LeagueSt. James' Park
Saturday, May 13(H)

Brighton
Saturday, May 20(A)

Nottingham Forest
10:00 AMPremier LeagueThe City Ground
Sunday, May 28(H)

Wolves
11:00 AMPremier LeagueEmirates Stadium

Reactions: oates

Olecurls99

We need 85 points roughly. We can't afford to drop points in more then 3 games. If we avoid that then we'll be close.

alquemyst

There's only one scenario I'd like to see, us(or even fecking Citteeh) pipping Arsenal by one point on the last match day.

Then Arse go back into obscurity for a few years.

croadyman

In the last four games before today they scored 2 goals, one of them a penalty.

Emery was very naive today, kept attacking and gave Arsenal a lot of room to play. Brentford and Newcastle showed how to play against Arsenal. Arteta doesn’t really have a plan B.
Just can't make a case for Everton or Bournemouth causing them any problems,Leicester looked a potentially trickier prospect if they draw today but unfortunately didn't do that

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
A poor week (and. 2-3 weeks) for us has ended not so badly. We’re 2 points ahead with a game in hand. The loss to City doesn’t feel as bad now, hopefully can gain momentum. For City they were all over Forest, they’ll feel disappointed they didn’t win there.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I don't care who doesn't believe but we are in a title race, this could be some last season as a proper club.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don't care who doesn't believe but we are in a title race, this could be some last season as a proper club.
I think you are too, but you’ll need to be just about perfect from here on out to close an 8 point gap. If Arsenal had dropped points against Villa then they would have imploded IMO, but we managed to pull out the win. I think we should be able to get our momentum back now. City, as I’ve said before, are not the formidable opponent they were in seasons past and the Forest draw shows that. They really should have won there, but thank God they didn’t.
Still think City will have too much in the end, but it’ll be a close one.

SinNombre

United lost a 8-point lead in 6 games in 2012.

These leads can disappear very quickly.

United has a 5% chance right now, which people can argue if that’s being in the race or not.

RedNome

I think you are too, but you’ll need to be just about perfect from here on out to close an 8 point gap. If Arsenal had dropped points against Villa then they would have imploded IMO, but we managed to pull out the win. I think we should be able to get our momentum back now. City, as I’ve said before, are not the formidable opponent they were in seasons past and the Forest draw shows that. They really should have won there, but thank God they didn’t.
It'll be down to good old fashioned luck. Three decent sides all capable of putting a run together, it's all about keeping your key players fit from now on.

It's amazing how many players stay fit when there's trophys to be had ;)

croadyman

Yeah lost hope of you imploding now,that goal against Villa felt like the Palace equaliser. There isn't any pressure on your game at Leicester next Saturday now. 100 percent sure you will be 5 clear of them afterwards.

RedNome

United lost a 8-point lead in 6 games in 2012.

These leads can disappear very quickly.

United has a 5% chance right now, which people can argue if that’s being in the race or not.
It's a race until it isn't. Up to everyone how they enjoy it I guess.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Only IF Arsenal drop points in one of their 3 games which looks unlikely after today
Arsenal have plenty of time to drop points. We just need to not let that gap get bigger than it is - which is why Anfield is vital to win. If we can lose an 8 point lead in 6 games under the greatest manager of all time Arsenal can lose an 8 point lead in 16 under Lego man.

ZainCRse7en

Title or not, still believe we will finish above Arsenal. They have been pretenders for far too long and got really lucky in the Villa game. The inevitable collapse will continue. See them pipping 3rd place though. Between us and City for the title.

Evonomist

Supports
AC Milan
How many points do you think will be enough to win the league? I think 88 at least. I dont see Arsenal dropping points in more than 2 games outside of Liverpool Man City and Newcastle.
So lets say 3 draws and 2 losses more for Arsenal. They ll end up with 87.

croadyman

Best scenario we can hope for IF we win today of course is 12 pts deficit to Arsenal and 9 pts to City with two games in hand. However that involves Leicester taking points off Arsenal next Sat,forget it when it comes to Everton & Bournemouth.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Best scenario we can hope for IF we win today of course is 12 pts deficit to Arsenal and 9 pts to City with two games in hand. However that involves Leicester taking points off Arsenal next Sat,forget it when it comes to Everton & Bournemouth.
If we win today we will be 3 points behind City with equal games played and 5 points behind Arsenal with one more game in hand for them.

Edit: maybe I'm missing some context like next x number of games.

skc_18

My feeling was we are out of the race after the loss to Arsenal. If we drew or win that match we were in the race.
Its too much on luck now. If they have few injuries they might drop point otherwise I think it might be tough. They are playing well imo.

croadyman

If we win today we will be 3 points behind City with equal games played and 5 points behind Arsenal with one more game in hand for them.

Edit: maybe I'm missing some context like next x number of games.
The context is by the time we play again in league after today we are gonna be around those points behind mentioned which is daunting number

croadyman

My feeling was we are out of the race after the loss to Arsenal. If we drew or win that match we were in the race.
Its too much on luck now. If they have few injuries they might drop point otherwise I think it might be tough. They are playing well imo.
Yeah City need to make sure they bounce back next Sat and put pressure on them again. Will admit we look out of it which is disappointing after gaining some pts back.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
If we win our next 3 we’d go 14 points ahead of United who have to go to liverpool that weekend, assuming you beat Leicester tomorrow or the gap could be even bigger.
it’ll be one of those scenarios where you keep trying while it’s mathematically possible, but it’s not really a title race.

croadyman

If we win our next 3 we’d go 14 points ahead of United who have to go to liverpool that weekend, assuming you beat Leicester tomorrow or the gap could be even bigger.
it’ll be one of those scenarios where you keep trying while it’s mathematically possible, but it’s not really a title race.
You will win next 3 unfortunately for us,shame we couldn't keep pace with you fully after Palace draw and defeat at Emirates. This was your little wobble but you got over it with not much damage

bringbackbebe

You will win next 3 unfortunately for us,shame we couldn't keep pace with you fully after Palace draw and defeat at Emirates. This was your little wobble but you got over it with not much damage
That's seriously a bummer although its surprising for a change to see us in title race talks after ages.

NK86

You really think this was their little wobble and there's no more twists to come? I wonder if you have ever seen a title race before this one.

NK86

Only IF Arsenal drop points in one of their 3 games which looks unlikely after today
Why does it look "unlikely"? If anything, Villa were 3 mins away from getting a point off of them. You really underestimate how tricky the PL gets the deeper we go into the season. If Arsenal get further into the Europa League, it's not going to be easy.

JeffFromHK

We are no longer in the title race after two last minute goals conceded against Crystal Palace and Arsenal, those 2 goals made 5 points difference.

croadyman

We are no longer in the title race after two last minute goals conceded against Crystal Palace and Arsenal, those 2 goals made 5 points difference.
Yeah this reality hits home now they have these next 3 games to play before us

croadyman

Why does it look "unlikely"? If anything, Villa were 3 mins away from getting a point off of them. You really underestimate how tricky the PL gets the deeper we go into the season. If Arsenal get further into the Europa League, it's not going to be easy.
Yeah but they didn't that's the point hence why I see them racking up 4 straight league wins

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Agreed. Still we are 8 behind with about 45 points still to play for. If we go on a run anything is possible.

croadyman

Agreed. Still we are 8 behind with about 45 points still to play for. If we go on a run anything is possible.
Damn why couldn't we put Palace game to bed,that genuinely stung like Calvert-Lewin goal a couple of seasons ago under Solskjaer

JeffFromHK

We need something like 13W or even 14W out of 15 games to win the league, with due respect, I think it is very improbable.
If we didn't concede against Arsenal/Palace, it would be 11/12W instead, which is more probable given ETH wins us ~70% of games on average.

croadyman

We need something like 13W or even 14W out of 15 games to win the league, with due respect, I think it is very improbable.
If we didn't concede against Arsenal/Palace, it would be 11/12W instead, which is more probable given ETH wins us ~70% of games on average.
Those games still giving us nightmares