Title Race 22/23

Irwin99

Why are City not a historic club?
I mean in the sense of being a true giant of the game. Arsenal have I think 13 leagues, and most Fa cup wins etc, and I've always seen them as a big club.

How many major trophies did City win before their takeover? Maybe 6 or 7 in total? How many era defining teams did they have?

ForeverRed1

What's the reason many united fans would prefer city over arsenal? Is it because most fans here are not from manchester and can't feel the rivalry directly? It always seems weird to me, I would never hesitate in picking united over spurs for a league win.
I think a majority of united fans would prefer you to win it however, during the 90s you were our biggest rivals in terms of actually taking trophies from us. It was a brilliant rivalry in the 90s. Fergie vs wenger. Keane vs viera. Ronaldo vs Henry (widely regarded as the two greatest players to play in the prem). The special matches we played…

your fanbase are also unbareable. AFTV cements that. You lot will be unbareable.

city are Wigan that won the lottery ticket. Hollow soulless and just generally leave us feeling abit underwhelmed and we still hate them purely because they are Manchester based and have cheated their way to multiple trophies (we have known it all along and the recent outings come as no shock) but feck them seriously. Manchester is only ever going to be red.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I mean in the sense of being a true giant of the game. Arsenal have I think 13 leagues, and most Fa cup wins etc, and I've always seen them as a big club.

How many major trophies did City win before their takeover? Maybe 6 or 7 in total? How many era defining teams did they have?
9 actually and as for era defining teams - how many teams actually have that, 3 maybe in English football

Irwin99

9 actually and as for era defining teams - how many teams actually have that, 3 maybe in English football
That's still really not that impressive and clubs like Everton and Spurs had far more trophies/pedigree before the City takeover, and that's not mentioning the huge clubs like United, Liverpool, and even Arsenal. It's also worth remembering City have often been up and down the divisions.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That's still really not that impressive and clubs like Everton and Spurs had far more trophies/pedigree before the City takeover, and that's not mentioning the huge clubs like United, Liverpool, and even Arsenal. It's also worth remembering City have often been up and down the divisions.
So have United and Liverpool were freqiuntly a 2nd division team until Shankley, if you're going to make claims on historic levels you need to go back to the start

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
3 league titles before their takeover, their most recent being in the 60s, absolute nothing club.

Irwin99

Spurs must be a nothing club as well then
They were a bigger club than City with almost double the trophies and have been an ever present in the PL era. City were never a huge club. The original post was me saying Arsenal were a historic club and by that I mean they've always been viewed as a big club with a proud history. City were not on their level pre-takeover. That's obvious and there's nothing to argue.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
They were a bigger club than City with almost double the trophies and have been an ever present in the PL era. City were never a huge club. The original post was me saying Arsenal were a historic club and by that I mean they've always been viewed as a big club with a proud history. City were not on their level pre-takeover. That's obvious and there's nothing to argue.
Not at Arsenal's level no, but that doesn't not make them a historic big club, do you consider teams like Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday not to be historic big clubs?

Irwin99

Not at Arsenal's level no, but that doesn't not make them a historic big club, do you consider teams like Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday not to be historic big clubs?
Well those have actually won a champions league/european cup ...something of which City STILL haven't achieved despite spending billions :lol:

Irwin99

Perhaps against my better judgement I've looked at our fixture list for the rest of the season in terms of league games and there's not really any cluster of games that I would worry are really tricky. Obviously teams drop silly points (like against Leeds and Palace) but it's good not to have a daunting run of several big teams away from home. Anfield looks the nastiest game by far and that's our next league fixture. Away games to Spurs and Newcastle and Chelsea at home aren't that intimidating and our last 4 games in May are:

West Ham (a)
Wolves (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Fulham (h)

Not really formidable on paper. Believe? :nervous:

Ted Crilly

Supports
Arsenal
Perhaps against my better judgement I've looked at our fixture list for the rest of the season in terms of league games and there's not really any cluster of games that I would worry are really tricky. Obviously teams drop silly points (like against Leeds and Palace) but it's good not to have a daunting run of several big teams away from home. Anfield looks the nastiest game by far and that's our next league fixture. Away games to Spurs and Newcastle and Chelsea at home aren't that intimidating and our last 4 games in May are:

West Ham (a)
Wolves (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Fulham (h)

Can you ever remember playing West Ham away , end of season where you’re in line to win the title?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

West Ham (a)
Wolves (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Fulham (h)

See, this where looking ahead like that is dangerous. There's 3 of those clubs could easily be in a relegation battle fighting for their lives. Not to mention injuries suspensions, and the real prospect for you guys playing Europa League semi final games during that period. I make the same mistake myself, you can't help but look ahead at the fixture list, but it tends to come back to bite you on the arse.

Just enjoy it week by week and the fact your actually involved in it.

cyberman

See, this where looking ahead like that is dangerous. There's 3 of those clubs could easily be in a relegation battle fighting for their lives. Not to mention injuries suspensions, and the real prospect for you guys playing Europa League semi final games during that period. I make the same mistake myself, you can't help but look ahead at the fixture list, but it tends to come back to bite you on the arse.

If they’re in a relegation fight come the end of the season that means they’re losing a lot of games.
Always thought the point of view was an excuse when top teams took the win for granted.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Agree with this, you can drop points anywhere, just have to enjoy each game at a time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As i always repeat; this is PL. You can drop points literally in every game. It was amazing how people, who watch this league whole life, laughed at Neville who said that City will catch Arsenal (when Arsenal were 8 points clear).
Even now, with 16 games to play, 8 points is not much. Still, our schedule is awful so i think that City will win it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If they’re in a relegation fight come the end of the season that means they’re losing a lot of games.
Always thought the point of view was an excuse when top teams took the win for granted.
True, but how many times do you see 1 or 2 teams put together a run of 3 or 4 good results to pull themselves out of trouble at the business end of the season. Think Everton last season who managed to beat Utd, Chelsea, Leicester and Palace in a period last season that pulled them out of trouble.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We would need to put a big run together, hope Arsenal have another couple of big wobbles and City maintain dropping points away from home at their current rate. I don’t think any of those three scenarios will happen.

Skills

Snitch
It's one of those, where we need to put together a 10 win streak or something to do it. It's doable, but unlikely.

Funnily enough, all of the recent title winners have had to put a run like that together at one point of the season to do if.

City won 12 in a row last season, won 15 in a row the season before, Liverpool won 18 in a row in 19/20, City put massive runs together in both the seasons before that and so did Chelsea when they won it. It's just what you have to do now to win a title

rio's upper lip

Just two more points at either Leeds or Palace would’ve made such a difference. Huge chance of points dropped at Juanfield, and that will probs be curtains.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Can you ever remember playing West Ham away , end of season where you’re in line to win the title?
That's not last day though and it's against a West Ham side that look dreadful this season but who probably won't be in a relegation battle (still think they will be fine even though they're in trouble at the moment).

But yes I agree with a lot of people that it's not good to take things for granted as any game in the PL can be a slip up. I still think, on paper at least, that we don't have a run of fixtures that looks horribly frightening though. I'm glad City and Arsenal away are over and done with.

Gasolin

Paradoxically, the fact City and Arsenal are so close to each other will make them both nervous and they will drop points. This might be our chance if we can keep playing on current level - which I think we can with some players coming back to the team soon.
They're 5pts ahead with a game in hand, still a bit difficult to grasp. We should just regret we couldn't beat Leeds home.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
My United friends are hopeful but ultimately feel that you're a bit too reliant on Rashford to score. You're probablly a one-man team more so than Arsenal or City at the moment. If Rashford's form was to dip or he was to become unavailable, you don't look like you have too many goals in you. I was surprised to hear the other day that your actual CF hasn't yet scored in the league.

If Arsenal are now over their wobble, we'll give City a run for their money. But ultimately I think City's superior depth and experience will be too much.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Just two more points at either Leeds or Palace would’ve made such a difference. Huge chance of points dropped at Juanfield, and that will probs be curtains.
Until the next game when it’s back on again? This in out in again attitude is a little dumb. There’s still so many games to go. We should still be looking at squads not league position and it’s obvious we don’t have the best squad, hence why we won’t win the league.

pacifictheme

I know it's good for business for united to be involved but we aren't really. I am very much looking down rather than up still.