Title race : January fixtures (from GK 17 to GW21)

Wayne's World

If Liverpool lose to Spurs next week they could be done, 9 points behind us and 10 behind City If both win their games

Even this early in the season it's a big gap to have

lysglimt

Scout
If Liverpool lose to Spurs next week they could be done, 9 points behind us and 10 behind City If both win their games

There is no way they will close 10 points to City....I refuse to believe that. Not with the team they have at present

ti vu

10 points behind City, and it may be considered over for Liverpool title challenge. They have tough list schedule from now on while City is in better position to manage the schedule and maintain their stride.

Liverpool and Tottenham game is big for the both teams. A draw is still a bad result for both teams. A must win game for both, and only one team may still keep their title challenge alive after this game.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Cit have always been the bigger threat with their massive wedge and huge squad. The fact Fraudiola let Liverpool walk away with the title last year the way he did was disgraceful. If they win this year, that'd be their 5th league title in 10 years, making them just as dominant as we were in some years under SAF, if not more. And they really should have won it in some of the other seasons. They just lack the bottle to defend the title.

Of course it is typical that now that we're finally playing well (or rather getting the results), they'll have another great season and probably romp to the league with 85 points (which from here would be amazing).

I just hope Liverpool don't make top 4 and ideally finish behind Everton.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Liverpool have only won 1 more game than both Chelsea and Arsenal in the league this season. That's mad.

Irwin99

The stars have really aligned for our title bid with De Brunye and Augero out :D Same with Liverpool's injuries too.

Shimo

The stars have really aligned for our title bid with De Brunye and Augero out :D Same with Liverpool's injuries too.
And now it seems Vardy will be out a few weeks too for a hernia related surgery. No excuses for us.

Member 90887

a Liverpool loss against Spurs (or draw) would allow us to be 8 or 9 points above Liverpool if we win our game against SU. That would have been unbelievable just 1 month ago!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I always thought a title challenge would have to be a perfect storm for us, we just need to keep picking up results now. Every game feels like it has so much riding on it, not had this feeling in years.

Bertie Wooster

I can't see this being discussed anywhere, and I can't start a thread as a newbie, so I'll just ask it here: does anyone know if our league game v Everton is still going to be on Monday 8th February given that both teams are playing in the FA Cup in the same midweek? It's hard to believe they arranged any Monday night TV game when they knew that very midweek was for the FA Cup 5th round!

As it stands we play on Monday (8th), a midweek cup game, say on Wednesday or Thursday, and then the West Brom league game is still listed for Saturday (13th). That's 3 games in 6 days. Surely the Everton game needs to get moved back again to the Saturday or Sunday? If not, we'll need to only play on the Thursday and move the West Brom game to Sunday or Monday - which hinders preparation for Thursdays trip to Sociedad.

Fair enough, a lot of that is the price of success, and still being in different cup competitions. But the Everton game being moved to the Monday is just absolutely stupid and completely avoidable. They just seem to go out of their way to mess teams about with some of their TV timings.

RedorDead21

Covid will decide which team wins the title. Whoever gets the least positive cases between the top 4.

croadyman

I can't see this being discussed anywhere, and I can't start a thread as a newbie, so I'll just ask it here: does anyone know if our league game v Everton is still going to be on Monday 8th February given that both teams are playing in the FA Cup in the same midweek? It's hard to believe they arranged any Monday night TV game when they knew that very midweek was for the FA Cup 5th round!

As it stands we play on Monday (8th), a midweek cup game, say on Wednesday or Thursday, and then the West Brom league game is still listed for Saturday (13th). That's 3 games in 6 days. Surely the Everton game needs to get moved back again to the Saturday or Sunday? If not, we'll need to only play on the Thursday and move the West Brom game to Sunday or Monday - which hinders preparation for Thursdays trip to Sociedad.

Fair enough, a lot of that is the price of success, and still being in different cup competitions. But the Everton game being moved to the Monday is just absolutely stupid and completely avoidable. They just seem to go out of their way to mess teams about with some of their TV timings.
Yeah I was thinking about this very thing myself last night and expect we will hear something from the club if there is going to be any date changes very shortly considering the games are only a couple of weeks away

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Arsenal is a big one.
We have to turn up against them in the league at some point.

cptkeane1993

The other clubs getting more injuries right about now whilst we're been pretty ok so far is not by chance. Ole strengthened the squad in the summer (instead of getting a 1st teamer or two) and has rotated very effectively from the November internationals onward. This is the reason he kept mentioning in the beginning (and when the window was still open) that this season will be very different and the fixture scheduling will be very demanding, so has clearly planned for it. It meant some inconsistencies earlier but it's more settled now with the squad rotating well and everyone is motivated to do well when starting or coming off the bench. This is superb squad management by him which we don't give him too much credit for. Pep / Klopp are clearly super coaches but they will need to learn from Ole in this regard, because Ole learnt it from the best - Sir Alex.

As for the title race, the most important is the next game. City will beat West Brom and go above us on Tuesday, which should be motivation enough for us to beat Sheffield Utd on Wednesday. This 3 points is all that matters for now, without which we may start to fall off.

Member 90887

Yeah I was thinking about this very thing myself last night and expect we will hear something from the club if there is going to be any date changes very shortly considering the games are only a couple of weeks away
Well, i'd point to Spurs. They played yesterday in the cup, and they're gonna play Liverpool this thursday in the league.

So it'll probably be maintained and they'll probably push the West brom game to Sunday.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We always seem to underwhelm against Arsenal, we're due a good win against them. I feel like two wins this week are vital, every game feels like a cup final.

City have tougher fixtures coming up in February, and with KDB and Vardy being out, and Liverpool 6-9 points behind us, we should create some separation at the top and keep our momentum going.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I reckon Liverpool will batter Spurs and come away with the points this week which will put the fear in people. They actually played okay against us in the FA cup we just happen to be a decent side. If they play like that against Spurs they are winning, no doubt.

Pavl3n

Well, i'd point to Spurs. They played yesterday in the cup, and they're gonna play Liverpool this thursday in the league.

So it'll probably be maintained and they'll probably push the West brom game to Sunday.
I just checked the official website. The FA Cup game vs West Ham and the following game vs West Brom are with confirmed dates and starting times.
However the games vs Southampton and Everton are listed as 'ToBeConfirmed'. It has to be some extraordinary circumstance to play 2 games in 3 days.
I think the Everton game might be pulled a day earlier and be played on Sunday, rather than Monday.
But that's just me speculating. Who knows what the great minds at the FA have in mind.

Member 90887

We always seem to underwhelm against Arsenal, we're due a good win against them. I feel like two wins this week are vital, every game feels like a cup final.

City have tougher fixtures coming up in February, and with KDB and Vardy being out, and Liverpool 6-9 points behind us, we should create some separation at the top and keep our momentum going.
Yeah, the objective would be to end January with the two points we have over city right now. there is a good chance they'll lose point in their game in hand away to Everton. both our and City's fixtures in February look similar in terms of difficulty.

The derby game against them in March is gonna be decisive.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So our next three games are Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday. Sheffield, Arsenal, Southampton. I’d take 7 points out of these, tough circumstances.

Member 90887

I just checked the official website. The FA Cup game vs West Ham and the following game vs West Brom are with confirmed dates and starting times.
However the games vs Southampton and Everton are listed as 'ToBeConfirmed'. It has to be some extraordinary circumstance to play 2 games in 3 days.
I think the Everton game might be pulled a day earlier and be played on Sunday, rather than Monday.
But that's just me speculating. Who knows what the great minds at the FA have in mind.
Well, it definitely makes more sens since they play Burnley the Wednesday before.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We must win all our next 5 league games, no excuse, because after that we will have Europa league and it’s only going to be tougher when Europa league starts. It’s like message to everyone that we are ready and positive to lift up the team’s spirit before the tougher schedule starts.

ZupZup

So our next three games are Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday. Sheffield, Arsenal, Southampton. I’d take 7 points out of these, tough circumstances.
Then we have Everton after that. Arsenal, Saints and Everton is a tough run of games on paper.

Unless I am missing something, it also looks like we play the FA Cup tie against West Ham less than 48 hours after the Everton game. That's ridiculous scheduling.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Then we have Everton after that. Arsenal, Saints and Everton is a tough run of games on paper.

Unless I am missing something, it also looks like we play the FA Cup tie against West Ham less than 48 hours after the Everton game. That's ridiculous scheduling.
Christ on a bike. Maybe we need to make a few changes tomorrow with this in mind.

Judas

Open to offers
At the moment every league game is the biggest of the season so far, its the same situation tomorrow. On paper, looks simple enough, but its must win, we can't take them lightly. No looking ahead to Arsenal, mess up against Sheffield Utd and that Arsenal game becomes even bigger. Can't afford any dropped points right now.

Bertie Wooster

At the moment every league game is the biggest of the season so far, its the same situation tomorrow. On paper, looks simple enough, but its must win, we can't take them lightly. No looking ahead to Arsenal, mess up against Sheffield Utd and that Arsenal game becomes even bigger. Can't afford any dropped points right now.
It's a difficult balancing act - but getting it right more often than others is obviously what separates the best managers at the top level.

Obviously, when challenging for multiple honours, the next game is always a key one and yet, at some stage, some level of rotation is necessary as you can't ask the same key players to start every match.

However, without the key game changers most capable of creating and scoring goals, then even the 'easier' games on paper often become difficult to break down a packed defence. And getting hard earned points away to the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal are great results provided you win the easier games around them.

We did that either side of the Liverpool draw with tight one goal wins over Fulham and Burnley - but by picking our key players. If we'd rested some of them, would we have dropped points there and, all of a sudden, you're looking at 2 or 3 draws and us not being top? And, likewise, a draw away to Arsenal will be great, provided we win our two home games either side of it. But in order to win games and break down packed and competent PL defences, we're still very reliant on the likes of Fernandes, Rashford, Pogba, Shaw playing well. And it's definitely not a given that we can rest them and still assume we'll have enough not to drop points.

I'm assuming Rashford will miss this game, regardless of the scan results. Or at least not start it. And I'd maybe take this opportunity to bring in Telles for a start against weaker attacking options (Shaw's the better defender to cope with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton, Everton so we need him for those games). But they're the only key regulars I'd consider not starting. I'd definitely go in with the likes of Fernandes, Pogba, Cavani and the rest and try to make sure we get the job done.

Pavl3n

It's a difficult balancing act - but getting it right more often than others is obviously what separates the best managers at the top level.

Obviously, when challenging for multiple honours, the next game is always a key one and yet, at some stage, some level of rotation is necessary as you can't ask the same key players to start every match.

However, without the key game changers most capable of creating and scoring goals, then even the 'easier' games on paper often become difficult to break down a packed defence. And getting hard earned points away to the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal are great results provided you win the easier games around them.

We did that either side of the Liverpool draw with tight one goal wins over Fulham and Burnley - but by picking our key players. If we'd rested some of them, would we have dropped points there and, all of a sudden, you're looking at 2 or 3 draws and us not being top? And, likewise, a draw away to Arsenal will be great, provided we win our two home games either side of it. But in order to win games and break down packed and competent PL defences, we're still very reliant on the likes of Fernandes, Rashford, Pogba, Shaw playing well. And it's definitely not a given that we can rest them and still assume we'll have enough not to drop points.

I'm assuming Rashford will miss this game, regardless of the scan results. Or at least not start it. And I'd maybe take this opportunity to bring in Telles for a start against weaker attacking options (Shaw's the better defender to cope with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton, Everton so we need him for those games). But they're the only key regulars I'd consider not starting. I'd definitely go in with the likes of Fernandes, Pogba, Cavani and the rest and try to make sure we get the job done.
It will be tough leaving Rashford on the bench, considering that he's hitting good form and Martial is struggling to score any goals. With regards Shaw - I can see him rested. He spends a lot of energy going forward, overlapping Rashford, being a good outlet to carry the ball forward and deliver cut backs from the byline. His attacking output will be needed against Arsenal if we are to secure any points against them, so it's quite possible. I can see McT rested and either Matic or Fred starting next to Pogba. Lindelof might sit on the bench as well - with Sheffield most likely defending deep Bailly's pace at the back would be useful to protect ourselves against their counters.
It's interesting to see what the team selection will be - I'm sure Ole's choices will be made with consideration of the Arsenal game. I'd go for

- - - - - - - AWB Bailly Maguire Telles
- - - - - - - - - - - Pogba Matic
- - - - - - - - - Mason Bruno Rashy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Cavani

AndyMUFC

fecking inexcusable that. Absolute dogshit. No movement or tempo and crap defending.

Martial needs to pull his finger out because he's bloody garbage right now.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I don't see City dropping any point in next few games. We could be 7 points behind by weekend

MattofManchester

With results like that, you can see us making it hard for top 4.
Fact is, it was inevitable. We weren't convincing at all during this run, bar the Leeds game, so I can see this happening more often.

Leicester, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and possibly even Arsenal.
If they start picking up a run of form, we need to be better.

Games like today are the ones you are supposed to win to keep consistency.