Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
How much are we going to pay for him in January? Maybe Jose should thank Levi for saving the club some money.
It all depends if he joins some other club, or signs a new contract (don't see the second happening). Then it depends if we are in a fight with Spurs (be it for title, top 4 or relegation). If we are, cannot see Spurs strengthening us, if not, maybe 35m should do it.

Next summer is 25m if Spurs exercise the +1 year clause, or 0 if they don't. They obviously will unless he gets a career-threatening injury, or they forget to play him for 10% of the available matches.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If we bought toby, we'd likely sell the "5th ranked" CB. The source is arguing that they valued Toby so little that they would be selling the fifth best CB (likely rojo) for a player they ranked at the same quality level.

Hence....Woodward needs to go.
That doesn't make any sense either! Think it's clear that Alderweireld would be first choice here.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Very disappointed this didn't go through. I've no doubt we'll be back in for him in January.

Fantastic player. See you soon, Toby.
There is absolutely zero chance we sell Toby in the January window.

Strange stance from Spurs. He's not going to stay and it's not like they will be playing him every week. They should have just given signs that they'd be willing to accept a reasonable price but they probably made it clear it's 75m or not happening. Instead he'll cost them millions in wages so he lost out, they lost out and we lost out.
Not at all. We've kept one of the best CBs in the league. Poch hinted that players who had thought about leaving were now happy to stay. I'm assuming he meant Toby in this. I'm pretty sure Toby will get lots of game time. He will be reintegrated back into the side. I can't see us selling him abroad this window as we will have no back ups. I can't see us keeping him on the bench as he is just too good for that.

Get him on a free next year.
That is impossible. The absolutely cheapest he will cost will be £25 million.

Revan

Assumptionman
I still think he is going to leave this window, probably to Spain
Big 3 don't need him, others likely cannot afford him.

Bayern or PSG on the other hand? Though he probably wouldn't start on either, and Bayern seems to be interested on Pavard instead.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yeah, I could see this happening. I think Levy's logic was either to do this or chance his arm at holding Alderweireld to ransom, threatening no playing time (ala las season) until he commits fully to Spurs.

If the latter happens, that's as good as a new signing for Spurs.

izec

Only PSG imo. Bayern will go for Pavard if they sell Boateng, otherwise they will keep Boateng for another season. PSG need a new CB though, so if not Boateng, Toby could come. Depends also on the price Spurs want from a non PL club

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He will either go abroad or sign a new contract.

I think the United ship has sailed.

beingshe7don

Could the fact that Rojo just vacated the No. 5 imply that Alderweireld could be bought in January for a smaller fee? That would also explain the absurdity of not getting a CB after being after one whole summer.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There is absolutely zero chance we sell Toby in the January window.

Not at all. We've kept one of the best CBs in the league. Poch hinted that players who had thought about leaving were now happy to stay. I'm assuming he meant Toby in this. I'm pretty sure Toby will get lots of game time. He will be reintegrated back into the side. I can't see us selling him abroad this window as we will have no back ups. I can't see us keeping him on the bench as he is just too good for that.

That is impossible. The absolutely cheapest he will cost will be £25 million.
£25m will actually be the absolute maximum he would cost. He could go for less but he cannot go for any more than that.

Sarni

No, But maybe PSG for €45m ;)
Thankfully they don’t need defenders.

I don’t see any European team buying him. Maybe one of Italian clubs but that could only be Inter as the rest are sorted.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
£25m will actually be the absolute maximum he would cost. He could go for less but he cannot go for any more than that.
Well no, he couldn't go for less as anything below £25 million and there would be no point selling, Spurs don't or need to sell below that figure. Spurs wouldn't sell Toby to anyone next summer for say £20 million.

I actually think the £25 million figure is fair to Spurs. I think that is what Toby would be worth on the open market with one year left on his contract anyway. If it was a pathetic figure like £10 million that would be terrible.

Sarni

Well no, he couldn't go for less as anything below £25 million and there would be no point selling, Spurs don't or need to sell below that figure. Spurs wouldn't sell Toby to anyone next summer for say £20 million.

I actually think the £25 million figure is fair to Spurs. I think that is what Toby would be worth on the open market with one year left on his contract anyway. If it was a pathetic figure like £10 million that would be terrible.
Well in theory he could go for less if they accepted a bid. He can’t go for anything more than that which is why you cannot say that it’s minimum, it is either the maximum or the exact price.

JK-27

It's basic squad management, if a club wants to buy a defender then the selling club needs to be sure they have someone to replace the defender being sold (either through promoting another player or buying a replacement). Spurs haven't brought anyone in, so if you haven't brought anyone in it doesn't make sense to let anyone go, you're only going to shoot yourself in the foot if a defender gets injured and you have no replacement.

So, Spurs couldn't sell Alderweireld.

Ekeke

It's basic squad management, if a club wants to buy a defender then the selling club needs to be sure they have someone to replace the defender being sold (either through promoting another player or buying a replacement). Spurs haven't brought anyone in, so if you haven't brought anyone in it doesn't make sense to let anyone go, you're only going to shoot yourself in the foot if a defender gets injured and you have no replacement.

So, Spurs couldn't sell Alderweireld.
They already have Sanchez they didnt need one.

And Levy will probably refuse to accept anything below £50m (lowered from the £75m he set this summer).
Why don’t we just see how our defence gets on for the next 4 months, and if needs be we can address in Jan or more likely next summer - whether that’s Toby, someone else on no-one.

Patrick08

Why don’t we just see how our defence gets on for the next 4 months, and if needs be we can address in Jan or more likely next summer - whether that’s Toby, someone else on no-one.
One of the prime reason Jose plays defensively is that he thinks our central defense is not good enough to command that area when the opposition is attacking and when we play open football, they cant read the danger early enough but just react to it and block shots or depends too much on De gea's brilliance, that's why he plays so conservative in big games specially away from home or after going up in the game. Even if our defense performs well, our playing conservative is a contributing factor to it, i think we will see a lot more positive football if Jose is assured on the defensive solidity who can read the danger better and contribute in offensive plays as well. Victor lindelof is still Developing.

Must plan January window better and should go in for him as we are not getting any Varane or any other solid defender for any less now that Woodward have naively declared 100 m for a top Defender. That press briefing dint help anyone but just inflate prices for us nothing else.

Also gives time for Spurs to identify his replacement if he doesn't sign, a good Opportunity with him should not go to waste and we should do anything to price him away.

Last edited:

JK-27

They already have Sanchez they didnt need one.
You're thinking purely in squad number terms, I'm talking in style of play, footballing terms. Toby plays a certain way that they clearly want to keep him around for if a similar replacement isn't found.

Ekeke

You're thinking purely in squad number terms, I'm talking in style of play, footballing terms. Toby plays a certain way that they clearly want to keep him around for if a similar replacement isn't found.
No, I'm thinking they played without him most of last season and were fine. They have already moved on

Infra-red

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still annoyed we didn’t sign Lenglet for £30m!

Easily the best value on the market this summer in his position.

Sanche7

Haven't watched much of Lengelt, but from what I've seen I didn't find him to be very impressive. Yes he was great against us, but I don't think he is that good consistently
Also even if we were in for him, he would have chosen Barca ahead of us
Barca have a better team than us plus he won't have to move to an unknown league / country. He's settled in Spain and happy there, so why would he move

Status
Not open for further replies.