Todd Boehly: "You could do a North vs South all-star game from the Premier League to fund the pyramid very easily"

MUFC OK

You mean apart from the fact that basically all of us would watch it, just to talk shite about the players from other clubs? ;)
Maybe but not sure I would. Certainly wouldn't pay extra for it but who know how much advertising revenue it would bring.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe but not sure I would. Certainly wouldn't pay extra for it but who know how much advertising revenue it would bring.
It would be massive. But more so outside of the UK. Todd doesn’t yet understand the mentality of British people so he doesn’t quite understand just how many people would oppose it here. Much like the European super league reaction. However, it’s Worldwide appeal would massive and that’s what he was getting at. He is right, it’s an untapped source of income but it would be naive to believe it’s never been discussed in an FA/PL board meeting. Heck I believe it would have been right up Richard Scudamores alley.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For those at the top sure. That inequality is killing football enough as it is.
Is football being killed? What metrics are you using to ascribe that prognosis? Unless I'm mistaken wages and money in the game is at an all time high. Yes there is rising inequality across all spheres because of our obsession with capitalism. If the argument is I want my football the way it is and these money making changes ruin it for me then fair enough to each their own. However I think most agree it will be popular and it will be profitable.

Also I will add any man utd fan bitching about inequality in the game should look at our club and our league. Both of which are at the very top of that pyramid of inequality

phelans shorts

Is football being killed? What metrics are you using to ascribe that prognosis? Unless I'm mistaken wages and money in the game is at an all time high. Yes there is rising inequality across all spheres because of our obsession with capitalism. If the argument is I want my football the way it is and these money making changes ruin it for me then fair enough to each their own. However I think most agree it will be popular and it will be profitable.

Also I will add any man utd fan bitching about inequality in the game should look at our club and our league. Both of which are at the very top of that pyramid of inequality
I’m well aware we’re at the top of that, doesn’t stop me hating it.

Clubs are dying left and right, competition is fast becoming a thing of the past throughout the game due to the vast inequalities, yet because wages are going up we should be grateful? As supporters of a club run by a hyper capitalist who’s happy to kill of the game to increase the lining of their own pocket Manchester United/Liverpool/Chelsea/whoever fans are some of the people most needed to protest against this nonsense for the greater good. The “well, it helps us!” attitude is what has led to the growing problems in the game to the point where I’m not even sure it can be wrestled back and alternatively tories consistently having power.

I’ll continue to rally against this bullshit because it is just that, if it means Manchester United can get leapfrogged then that’s absolutely fine, I don’t support the club because they win I support them because I’m from a family of United fans in fecking Salford. I’ll be there long after the success dries up completely (unless the stupid changes kills my interest in the sport entirely)

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
If it were a Soccer Aid type event it wouldn't be the worst thing, they would have to really commit to the 'money for the lower leagues' aspect and not just use that as a positive talking point for making money for themselves.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd rather they went a more WWE route. Triple threat matches. Special guest referees. Iron Man Matches, say teams play for 3 hours. No holds barred matches. Now we're talking.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Let’s see what you say when Anthony Gordon breaks his leg
I thought he did that about 6 times every game as well as a few decapitations.

Also, this 'all-star' select stuff is not exactly a new concept in sport. If it was going to be the massive success some seem to think it will be it would have been introduced long before now.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Why must the 3pm broadcast be a lower league match? Is the All-Star game a lower league one? An english broadcaster will pay more for a competitively meaningful PL match than a meaningless exhibition game. Multiply that across a few weeks and you have the compensation for the lower leagues. Isn’t that why 3pm matches are not being broadcasted?
Well, the 3 PM blackout is to encourage people to go see lower league matches in person - agreed that a broadcaster would pay more but they'd have to change the rules and not sure they would.

Also to those worried about fixture congestion, just bin the community shield and move the season up a week. Would much rather watch something like this at the end of the year that would at least be different personally.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’m well aware we’re at the top of that, doesn’t stop me hating it.

Clubs are dying left and right, competition is fast becoming a thing of the past throughout the game due to the vast inequalities, yet because wages are going up we should be grateful? As supporters of a club run by a hyper capitalist who’s happy to kill of the game to increase the lining of their own pocket Manchester United/Liverpool/Chelsea/whoever fans are some of the people most needed to protest against this nonsense for the greater good. The “well, it helps us!” attitude is what has led to the growing problems in the game to the point where I’m not even sure it can be wrestled back and alternatively tories consistently having power.

I’ll continue to rally against this bullshit because it is just that, if it means Manchester United can get leapfrogged then that’s absolutely fine, I don’t support the club because they win I support them because I’m from a family of United fans in fecking Salford. I’ll be there long after the success dries up completely (unless the stupid changes kills my interest in the sport entirely)
You claim clubs are dying left and right and competition is a thing of the past. I'm going to need some actual evidence of that on a large scale. From where I'm sitting the sport has never been more popular globally.

On the capitalist stuff I'm with you, feck the glazers and feck the Tories etc However like you I'm still here supporting the hyper capitalist feckfest that is Manchester united. And the truth is however many of us jaded, principled people leave there will be hundreds who replace us. Fc united is the living proof of that. A club who also used inequality in terms of resources to shoot up the football league.

That "if it helps us" attitude you speak of is affecting every aspect of society now and possibly has affected every aspect of societies going back to early civilization. One little friendly trick shot competition is meaningless in the larger framework.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd like him to clarify what he means by "football pyramid". Obviously the pyramid includes the Premier League, though my optimistic interpretation of what he said was that it would go to everything beneath the Premier League, or at least they would get a very substantial cut. It would be a little tone-deaf if he was talking about something that would further help the established elite, but I guess the very wealthy are not known for being able to read the room, so it wouldn't be surprising if that's what he meant, I'm just hoping he didn't.

Whether or not an actual all-star game comes to fruition, it reinitiates the conversation about helping, financially, the football league system beneath the Premier League, which is a conversation that needs to continue. That conversation seemed to last about a week or two after the fallout of the Super League proposition, and then it was brushed under the carpet once the Super League idea was swatted away.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd like him to clarify what he means by "football pyramid". Obviously the pyramid includes the Premier League, though my optimistic interpretation of what he said was that it would go to everything beneath the Premier League, or at least they would get a very substantial cut. It would be a little tone-deaf if he was talking about something that would further help the established elite, but I guess the very wealthy are not known for being able to read the room, so it wouldn't be surprising if that's what he meant, I'm just hoping he didn't.

Whether or not an actual all-star game comes to fruition, it reinitiates the conversation about helping, financially, the football league system beneath the Premier League, which is a conversation that needs to continue. That conversation seemed to last about a week or two after the fallout of the Super League proposition, and then it was brushed under the carpet once the Super League idea was swatted away.
good post and I also felt the same regarding his mention of the pyramid.

justsomebloke

It's not pointless if the only point is to raise money for grassroots football, and it accomplishes that. I don't know enough about the finances of the American all-star games to know whether they do bring in a sizeable revenue.
You could say that about literally anything that brings in money. There's no end of ways to raise money for the pyramid if that's what you want to do, so why this one?

TOKUGAWA-X

Its time to send not only this guy todd boehly back to america, lets send all those american owners back to their beloved sports, franchises and clown shows.

English Football must not tolerate this circus any longer.

I completely agree with Gary Neville.

SouthernRedDev

It makes more sense than those stupin NFL games they play in the UK. But its still not interesting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It means the whole football league system, from the very bottom up. Which the Premier League has already been doing since long before this prat came up with his all star match notion.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Its time to send not only this guy todd boehly back to america, lets send all those american owners back to their beloved sports, franchises and clown shows.

Gary Neville? The guy ruining the balance of Non-league by pouring money into one club. Don’t agree with a hypocrite, please.

steffyr2

I love these people who think foreigners should own the clubs, but not express an opinion about how the league is run.
Don't think it works that way.
Remind me who owns what for all the teams --
Man City -- Middle East Country
Liverpool -- US Company
Chelsea -- US Company
Man Utd -- US Company
Tottenham -- English?
Newcastle -- Middle East Country
Leeds -- ??
Arsenal -- US Company
ETC ???

TOKUGAWA-X

Gary Neville? The guy ruining the balance of Non-league by pouring money into one club. Don’t agree with a hypocrite, please.

That has nothing to do with ruining our Football with american sports nonsense.

Gary Neville sees the danger if we stay quiet when that Boehly guy talks such nonsense then it will sound normal.

Just like we defeated Florentinos Superliga we can send a clear message to this american new owner: "stop talking about your american circus or we will force you to sell the club"

You can talk all you want about the Glazers but they never suggested such circus because they knew it would never be accepted.

Boehly is bold and arrogant, he thinks he can come here and change our way of life, lets teach him a lesson.

Last edited:

fps

Everything Boehly has said so far has been depressing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It means the whole football league system, from the very bottom up. Which the Premier League has already been doing since long before this prat came up with his all star match notion.
I know what the pyramid means, but I want to know what he means by "giving the pyramid what it needs", as it seems to be being interpreted both ways. I would hope he is intending to put more/all the focus on what is beneath that Premier League, rather than it being self serving to the Premier League.

Chelsea is MAD

What is this monstrosity? Todd, kindly frick off with this nonsense. Absolute clown. The more he talks the more he sounds like Trump to me. Give it a few years and the man will have fake tanning salons at the Bridge.

20 years of Roman speaking nothing in public. Next 20 years will make up for it with Boehly yapping away in an echo chamber,

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know what the pyramid means, but I want to know what he means by "giving the pyramid what it needs", as it seems to be being interpreted both ways. I would hope he is intending to put more/all the focus on what is beneath that Premier League, rather than it being self serving to the Premier League.
How could you interpret what he says as referring to the PL only? When has anyone ever referred to the PL as a pyramid?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Dude just loves the sound of his own voice

I suppose been a billionaire means not many people would've told him how stupid he sounds.

The guy probably has people Constantly sucking up to him.

Teja

He speaks plainly instead of sugarcoating it in MBA BS. Everyone's aware that

(a) Brazilian / South American players want to move to Portugal first so they settle in
(b) The multi-club red bull model is phenomenally successful.
(c) Youth development is broken for top clubs

The logical conclusion to come to is to buy a club in Portugal to set that up as your feeder team for your young players.

Of course if everyone does it then it will break football but at that point UEFA will intervene.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I'd actually watch a South America vs Europe, Under 25 vs Over 25 or whatever way they decide to split two even teams consisting of stars. That way we could see Mbappe and Haaland or Messi and Ronaldo together for the first time.

Of course it's all a PR Game, a celebration of world stars, and everybody will be strictly told to not engage in tackles that could injure another player. Apart from the clubs I don't get why supporters hate the idea.

Obviously it's not an intense UCL Final but it's the only way to see Salah and de Bruyne in the same team. Imagine being 10 years old getting to watch all the super stars at once. I'm sure the players would find it fun too. Lewandowski would love to play with Neymar if only for one game and vice versa. Kind of like when MJ and Lionel Richie recorded "We are the world", the spectators get to enjoy 20 of the very best at their craft. Each one bringing their unique characteristics.

BlackShark_80

Lega Serie A President Lorenzo Casini has picked up the suggestion from Chelsea owner Todd Boehly and insists Italian football will ‘study the idea’ of an All-Star Game.

“The idea of an All-Star Game in Serie A merits attention,” Casini told news agency ANSA.

“We will study the project and clubs will evaluate all the pros and cons. I still recall the excitement of the Europe vs. Rest of the World match in August 1982 with our Dino Zoff, Marco Tardelli, Paolo Rossi and above all Giancarlo Antognoni who played better than Michel Platini and Zico.

“We need to rediscover that spirit, involving clubs, Presidents, directors and coaches as well as naturally the media and fans.”

68cob

I love these people who think foreigners should own the clubs, but not express an opinion about how the league is run.
He owns the club, not the league. I think (at least hope) this is a lot of fuss over nothing.