Todd Boehly: "You could do a North vs South all-star game from the Premier League to fund the pyramid very easily"

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Lega Serie A President Lorenzo Casini has picked up the suggestion from Chelsea owner Todd Boehly and insists Italian football will ‘study the idea’ of an All-Star Game.

“The idea of an All-Star Game in Serie A merits attention,” Casini told news agency ANSA.

“We will study the project and clubs will evaluate all the pros and cons. I still recall the excitement of the Europe vs. Rest of the World match in August 1982 with our Dino Zoff, Marco Tardelli, Paolo Rossi and above all Giancarlo Antognoni who played better than Michel Platini and Zico.

“We need to rediscover that spirit, involving clubs, Presidents, directors and coaches as well as naturally the media and fans.”
Oh shit @Bluelion7 was right. Boehly is a pioneer that other leagues, governing bodies and club owners are taking notes from :D

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is so aggressive. Roman or Glazers in 15 years didn't gave this much interviews as he did so far.
What a plonker

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m not fully against it. The problem I can foresee is actually making the players/clubs care about it. Football in this country is so tribal (which I love) and I don’t see different fans putting all differences aside. They should put in one/two players from every team in the league, split it in half and then have a game. The winning team gives those players clubs a bonus point haha

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't think anyone is saying all of the funding goes to lower leagues or would be ignorant to think that. But if even a fraction of it does, it's helping fund the lower leagues and is more than any other owner seems to be doing to try and help find solutions to do so thus far.

I know that a lot of this will be about thinking of how he can profit too, that’s a given, but do people really think that the PL owners are going to be lining up to give away their share of tv money etc. in the game? Of course not. Is that wrong? Yes. Will it change? Probably not.

This, while still an uneasy alternative to some, is a way of getting maximum profit for minimum effort.
How it started: 200M for the lower leagues, what a great idea, stop laughing at Americans.

How is it going : But even a fraction of it going to the lower league is a win no? No PL owner is going to give their money away, so let's risk the players further for a game to fund the lower leagues.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How could you interpret what he says as referring to the PL only? When has anyone ever referred to the PL as a pyramid?
I didn't. I'm hoping that him talking about "giving the pyramid what it needs" does not include the Premier League, because if he's talking about what the pyramid "needs", then the Premier League certainly doesn't need the money. If it does include the Premier League, along with the entire system beneath it, then it would seem like a mostly self-serving venture. But he's a billionaire, so there's a hefty chance that's exactly what it is.

I'd hope that any hypothetical all-star game/tournament/whatever would send the majority of the revenue down the ladder, the same way the Community Shield gives the majority of the proceeds to charities, which is a marginally less pointless fixture than an all-star game.

I doubt such a fixture will ever happen though. If it was going to, I'm sure it would've happened already.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How it started: 200M for the lower leagues, what a great idea, stop laughing at Americans.

How is it going : But even a fraction of it going to the lower league is a win no? No PL owner is going to give their money away, so let's risk the players further for a game to fund the lower leagues.
Either of them is a good thing and at least he’s offering something that can help the footballing pyramid. I haven’t seen other PL owners doing the same, have you? It is a reason to laugh at Americans. Half the comments in here are laughing or talking about the daft things he has said about 443 etc. If it’s 200m or it’s 20m, it’s still a sizeable sum that can save clubs from folding or help clubs take the next step.

we may aswell not play any football at all if we are worried about one fecking game which isn’t going to be played at the same intensity as a PL or CL game. The issue with more games being added to the calendar usually is because it means introducing or expanding a competition which means 5+ games added to a calendar and squeezed into a season. A one off game can be played instead of the community shield. Sorted.

caid

Either of them is a good thing and at least he’s offering something that can help the footballing pyramid. I haven’t seen other PL owners doing the same, have you? It is a reason to laugh at Americans. Half the comments in here are laughing or talking about the daft things he has said about 443 etc. If it’s 200m or it’s 20m, it’s still a sizeable sum that can save clubs from folding or help clubs take the next step.

we may aswell not play any football at all if we are worried about one fecking game which isn’t going to be played at the same intensity as a PL or CL game. The issue with more games being added to the calendar usually is because it means introducing or expanding a competition which means 5+ games added to a calendar and squeezed into a season. A one off game can be played instead of the community shield. Sorted.
Why not just give the community shield money to lower league teams? Its going to be a better match between better teams that has some minor meaning.

68cob

Besides the difference between Football around the world and there being "no relegation in the major sports in the US" are there many foreign players in America's biggest sports? The premier league here is awash with foreign players, so I don't understand how those players represent the north and south of England, when they can bounce between the two every three years. BBC now has a vote set up for potential teams. sheeeeesh!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why not just give the community shield money to lower league teams? Its going to be a better match between better teams that has some minor meaning.
i think the ‘novelty’ of this would attract more interest worldwide. Everyone knows the community shield is a glorified friendly nobody cares about. I genuinely think you’d have people caring about this, including players. I know people hate Lukaku on here but I’m sure he’s said before he wanted a similar thing in football.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...kaku-suggests-premier-league-all-star-fixture

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
At least make it worth something other than money. The best 22 players in the league compete 11v11 to determine which team makes up the Team of the Year.

This also means no subs and penalties are mostly luck so extra time could end up being played until the end of civilization, but the lower leagues could at least get 10% of the profits whilst Boehly gets to keep the other 90% so that's nice.

caid

i think the ‘novelty’ of this would attract more interest worldwide. Everyone knows the community shield is a glorified friendly nobody cares about. I genuinely think you’d have people caring about this, including players. I know people hate Lukaku on here but I’m sure he’s said before he wanted a similar thing in football.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...kaku-suggests-premier-league-all-star-fixture
The novelty would carry it for a year. Or two. Then the low quality of two cobbled together teams playing a completely meaningless match with players who'll be competing against each other for the rest of the season would become apparent and people would stop watching it. At which point you bring back the cup and league winners except its been even more devalued

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Besides the difference between Football around the world and there being "no relegation in the major sports in the US" are there many foreign players in America's biggest sports? The premier league here is awash with foreign players, so I don't understand how those players represent the north and south of England, when they can bounce between the two every three years. BBC now has a vote set up for potential teams. sheeeeesh!
In the NHL the majority of the league is made of canadians and europeans. Baseball mainly made of americans but there is a lot of central americans, caribbeans and south americans. The NBA is very largely made of americans but the best foreign players are also there, so there is a fair amount of europeans alongside few southamericans( from Argentina and Brazil), australians and africans. The NFL is almost exclusively made of americans.

Last edited:

68cob

In the NHL the majority of the league is made of canadians and europeans.
The NHL is almost exclusively made of americans.
:confused:
I suspected hockey might have a higher number of foreign players than the other sports.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The novelty would carry it for a year. Or two. Then the low quality of two cobbled together teams playing a completely meaningless match with players who'll be competing against each other for the rest of the season would become apparent and people would stop watching it. At which point you bring back the cup and league winners except its been even more devalued
I don’t think it would be. As depressing as it is, the world we live in loves celebrity culture. This would be an opportunity to showcase that and ensure the novelty doesn’t die. Despite my posts in here, the thought of it is cringe to me and I don’t really like celebrity culture but I think this would generate a heck ton (which would hopefully be spread into the pyramid) and increase the global brand of football and the PL. As a supporter of a PL club and the lower leagues, that’s a good thing to me.

LInkash

In the marketing for it with the North Vs South thing, they should make it Game of Thronesey, that would appeal to a global audience so much

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Pathetic suggestion from someone who doesn't and never will 'get it'.

American fans who follow American sports are not comparable to football fans.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Wouldn’t it just be China then? They might as well live in a dome and have more spy cameras than anywhere else.
Nah, I want it broadcast. China doesn't broadcast. America should be a tv show.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He speaks plainly instead of sugarcoating it in MBA BS. Everyone's aware that

(a) Brazilian / South American players want to move to Portugal first so they settle in
(b) The multi-club red bull model is phenomenally successful.
(c) Youth development is broken for top clubs

The logical conclusion to come to is to buy a club in Portugal to set that up as your feeder team for your young players.

Of course if everyone does it then it will break football but at that point UEFA will intervene.
I disagree that youth development is broken - what’s broken is that the expectations that we should win at all costs. This puts the manager under pressure to win so only the bravest will give youth a chance.
However, there are things that could be better. I believe they should bring back a proper reserve league. Build that up so that crowds go to it, like they do with womens football, family tickets etc. the kids will experience playing in front of larger crowds etc and we will get a better idea of how they will handle the pressures as they will also be playing with older players

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think you would. It’s one thing breaking it in the line of club business it’s another breaking it in a pointless exhibition
We may aswell ban him from driving, playing any other sports etc. as he could break his leg doing that too.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I was expecting to see line ups? Where are the lineups in this thread?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

You can give the revenue from the community shield to the lower league clubs then. Sorted?

There are plenty of valid criticisms in this thread if you care to read them. Actually, I was surprised by the number of people who think it's a good idea and the number of daft posts rising to duffer's ridiculous attempts at banter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You can give the revenue from the community shield to the lower league clubs then. Sorted?

There are plenty of valid criticisms in this thread if you care to read them. Actually, I was surprised by the number of people who think it's a good idea and the number of daft posts rising to duffer's ridiculous attempts at banter.
Sure, but I doubt that the revenue generated from the community shield would be anything near that something like this would.

I have read them, some I agree, some I don’t.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I'd rather watch a mini tournament with best XI's from EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I was expecting to see line ups? Where are the lineups in this thread?
City + Salah Vs Chelsea + Kane and Son?

Not that exciting, is it?

Anyway, this is hardly a "novel" idea as much as it is a US concept which works in a system with a) conferences and b) the best/highest profile players spread reasonably well across multiple teams.

See above: an "all star" game with the objectively best players in the league would include players from a couple of teams representing "north" and "south" (which obviously aren't fixed divisions, it varies from season to season how many "southern" and "northern" teams compete in the PL) and the division itself isn't all that natural * in a football context: there's as much rivalry/animosity between west and east within the north of England as it is between "north" and "south" (the latter is basically London in football terms). Not to mention that the fiercest rivalries are actually between individual teams within the same region, not between the regions themselves.

* Yes, there is a traditional north-south division in general, but this hardly translates seamlessly to football: it's not like United fans cheer on Liverpool when they play a "southern" team (or Sunderland fans Newcastle...or insert any number of similar cases.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Once again, the Americans thinking that the world revolves around them and that their sports are the best in the world, when really they actually suck!

He'll be saying that the PL should introduce timeouts next then we could generate even more revenue through advertising. Nobody outside the US, apart from the odd few actually care about the NFL. I would argue how many people could actually name 20 NFL players?

We could also introduce the PL World Series or Fergie's Cup or something like that, while we're at it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

They already give those proceeds to various charities. Both charity partners of the FA, and selected charities of every team that competed in the previous season's FA Cup from the 1st round proper onwards. Probably wouldn't be good PR for English football if they just stopped doing that.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty sure the next thing Boehly is going to propose is that the players should wear helmets.

Someone

Something
I'm all for new ideas but I just don't think these kind of matches would be appealing to football fans in general. It'd end up being even less important than a club friendly, since players would try to avoid injuries as it serves no purpose for club or country.

The premier league is the most popular league competition in the most popular sport in the world. It's already a money making machine. The focus right now should be less on more money making and more on fixing issues within the game, like refereeing among other things.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
All Star games only work in the US and Canada because nobody else wants to play their shit excuses for sports so they need to mix things up. There's no need for Premier League XI vs La Liga XI and any of that shit over here because we have continental competitions in their place, because football is an actual sport that people around the world play.

Yanks need their exhibition games to pad out their almost non existent season fixtures because there's only so many times in a year that the Green Bay Foot Massagers can face off against the Maryland Chickens. Bring it, chumps.
:lol:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I like the idea of a team like Haaland, De Bruyne, Salah, Kane, Fabinho, Bruno, James, Dias, Virgil, Robertson, Lloris playing an All star Premier League 11 against another League XI, but the game would have to have meaning for it to be remotely watchable, and really it would be no different than a Champions League final where a Prem team reaching the final would represent the best of England that season i guess, so it really is quite pointless.

kidbob

If you want to do good for the lower leagues then take 50% of the TV deals and prize money made every year by the PL and distribute it the lower leagues. However I doubt that Boehly would love that at all. Giving more money to the lower leagues is actually a very straight forward thing that doesn't require some weird meaningless game but as usual this is a rich guy suggesting something stupid to seem charitable.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Somebody needs to go to America and float the idea of a relegation system for the NBA & NFL or scrapping timeouts to make the game more free-flowing. Somebody who doesn't have a clue about US sports.