Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantonaVeron

Excellent today we need to make sure either him or Anderson are present in our midfield to make it work. They bring energy and drive in there. Infact it would be preferable if both started with Carrick would like to see a run of that.

kundalini

I thought he should have been more awake for their first goal. He just seemed to switch off while the ball was still active and Yaya Toure was unmarked on the edge of the box. He could easily have moved towards Yaya Toure and been in a decent position to get a block in.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Very good stretches it imo. He faded badly at the end when he was taken off, looked tired.
Understandably so as he worked his ass off.
he did a ton of running and was very good. got caught out for their first goal however might have been more of the clever movement of Tevez, Aguero, Nasri and Silva then Toms positioning.

I liked the look of the Carrick-Cleverley pairing

Shimo

Television didn't show how we lost the ball that lead to Aguero winning the corner for the equalizer but seemed to be something he did.

Was very good otherwise. Such a big difference when you have the more advanced cm that can sprint back as well. No disrespect to Scholes.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn't very good. Unless energy and workrate make a top class footballer. He's not even strong in the tackle.
Thats very very harsh Will. I thought he was good but not yet convinced that he will be top drawer. I think he'll be more of a squad player but a very good one at that. Lacks pace for me and hasn't got a stand out attribute but very neat and tidy and good handy player to have.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He was good today I just wish he would be more involved with our attacking play, playing more passes through and creating chances

Devil may care

I thought he was solid today and his workrate enabled Carrick to concentrate on his own game. It's a shame he has no pace as there were two or three occasions he came away with the ball in midfield but didn't have the burst needed to set us off on the counter.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just as abit of perspective: Roy Keane was about the same age when he joined us. Relatively speaking, there is not much between them at a similar age.

Varun

Staff
The thing i like the most about him is his movement after he passes the ball. Always makes space for the return pass to keep things ticking over. It is very important in a CM and both him and Ando do it well.

He'l be a very good player for us.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Didn't look out of place in a two-man midfield against a very good City midfield away from home. Promising signs for the future. Key season for him after last years write off.

Lawman

Just as abit of perspective: Roy Keane was about the same age when he joined us. Relatively speaking, there is not much between them at a similar age.
Thats quite far of the mark Sam, Keane was a quality player when he joined us a real box to box type the top young one in the country.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He did quite well today, when playing Carrick you need someone who can get around and close down play, and he is the perfect man for the job.

I would like to see the midfield combo of Clevs, Carrick and Ando-well i can dream :).

Brightonian

Thats quite far of the mark Sam, Keane was a quality player when he joined us a real box to box type the top young one in the country.
He obviously wasn't claiming that Cleverley is as good as Keane, just that he's doing well at an age when most CMs haven't got near their peak yet. Plus I think it's fair to say he's one of the top CMs of his age in the league. Thoroughly outplayed Wilshere against Arsenal, and he's often considered the best youngster.

DevilRed

The thing i like the most about him is his movement after he passes the ball. Always makes space for the return pass to keep things ticking over. It is very important in a CM and both him and Ando do it well.

He'l be a very good player for us.
Couldn't agree more. He is never afraid to receive the ball and he constantly moves to enable some nice one-twos. Defensively, he also has the energy and pace to keep up with opponents. The positioning will come with experience, but he is light years ahead of Giggs/Scholes when it comes to protecting our back four.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He did quite well today, when playing Carrick you need someone who can get around and close down play, and he is the perfect man for the job.

I would like to see the midfield combo of Clevs, Carrick and Ando-well i can dream :).
Why? Where would Rooney play?

Unless we play a diamond it would mean moving him out wide flanking RVP.

Ash_G

Was very good today, particularly with his offensive use of the ball and movement, still think he has more to learn defensively but lots of good signs. Hope we try and give him and Carrick a run now, get a good understanding between them.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he was decent. Recycled the ball well and got involved in all areas.

Wasn't a glittering display but considering the circumstances I think we can be very pleased.

Brightonian

He doesn't half get battered. Every game he's in sees a load hacking, stamping and following-through. I guess he's that style of player, always that little bit quicker than the opponent and eventually it gets frustrating. Toure's body slam was brutal.

There can be no accusations of injury-proneness any more, given the sort of rough treatment he's been walking away from unscathed all season. And the fact that he played today at all, I suppose.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Thought he did very well today. He's really good at keeping a calm head and relieve pressure by passing and moving so we can play our way out of defence while under pressure. None of our other midfielders bar Ando does that, really.

Links the attack and the midfield in a way most of our other midfielders don't.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He doesn't half get battered. Every game he's in sees a load hacking, stamping and following-through. I guess he's that style of player, always that little bit quicker than the opponent and eventually it gets frustrating. Toure's body slam was brutal.

There can be no accusations of injury-proneness any more, given the sort of rough treatment he's been walking away from unscathed all season. And the fact that he played today at all, I suppose.
The fact that Yaya Toure tried to take Tom out shows he must not have been doing too much wrong today: It speaks volumes when arguably the Premier League's best centre midfielder sees fit to try to put you on the sidelines.

Pathetic from Yaya Toure to act injured when he took him out.Tom reacted like a man and got on with the game, Yaya was a giant pussy.Disgusting man
Justice. When he went down after trying to do Clev and then had to get subbed it was such a sweet thing to watch. Bet it burned him having to sit silently and watch Van Persie win us the game. :lol:

Gazza

I don't get this "Keeping it simple doesn't make him a top class player" argument.

Judge a player on what he brings to the team. Cleverley keeps the ball moving and gets the team moving upfield, it's something we seriously lack without him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Hence why i said 'My' man of the match.
Exactly. So you thought Cleverley was better than Rooney. Hence the "lulwut".

Cleverley was neat and tidy and was busy in midfield. I wouldn't have had him in the top 3 though.

The White Pele

Cleverley was good today.

Had a couple of chances to work the goalkeeper but failed to control the shots. Definitely something that can be improved and would be a real asset to his game.

Lawman

He obviously wasn't claiming that Cleverley is as good as Keane, just that he's doing well at an age when most CMs haven't got near their peak yet. Plus I think it's fair to say he's one of the top CMs of his age in the league. Thoroughly outplayed Wilshere against Arsenal, and he's often considered the best youngster.
Read his post that is exactly what he is saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.