Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

Cleverley's main downfall is that whilst he can be a very good distributer of the ball, he doesn't seem to be able to dominate a match in the way the very best midfielders can. He will never be able to dicate the pace of a game the same way for example that Scholes or Xavi have been able to. Having said that Cleverley is relatively young and can still improve.
I'd say that's the one thing which, at the moment, he definitely can do. I agree with those above saying he doesn't have the cutting creative edge at the moment (although I think that would change given time, the run in the team which he deserves, and a team not in near-complete disarray), but his control of a match's tempo is his best quality at the moment.

Forevergiggs

Cleverley will never have the creativity Xavi has, or close to it. Xavi wasn't a great midfielder at 23/24 but you could clearly see the potential in him to become amazing, he was still racking up caps for Spain and an established first team player for Barca after all.

Cleverley is a good passer, especially at short range and one-twos, he's quick and certainly makes the team move quicker too, but creative he is not.
What is creative, Cina?

Forevergiggs

Iniesta and Nani. No-one else qualifies. Disregard Cleverley's two through-balls which should have led to goals in the space of five or ten minutes near the end of his 'poor' performance against Cluj.
It's not his job to be creative though. His job is the keep the midfield ticking and move the game forward for our attackers to provide the creativity.

Brightonian

It's not his job to be creative though. His job is the keep the midfield ticking and move the game forward for our attackers to provide the creativity.
I agree completely. But I think it's incredibly unfair to claim that he's completely uncreative. Even given how he's been underused this season, I think he's created plenty.

The backlash against the perfectly justified excitement about Cleverley at the start of last season has stuck, and now lots of people approach our matches expecting (even determined) to see him as somehow underwhelming. I don't think he is at all.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Iniesta and Nani. No-one else qualifies. Disregard Cleverley's two through-balls which should have led to goals in the space of five or ten minutes near the end of his 'poor' performance against Cluj.
Thank god someone else noticed this! I thought I had made it up in my head!

Cina

Why are you asking what creative is then?

Silva, Mata, Hazard, Iniesta, Messi, Oezil. All regarded as creative players (pretty much). Does Cleverley fit that category? Has he ever looked like fitting that category?

No.

There's no need to be a cock.

When do I ever even post about Iniesta, or call Nani a creative player? Certainly not much in recent times.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Thank god someone else noticed this! I thought I had made it up in my head!
I saw it too but some people have made up their minds that Tom Cleverley doesn't play through balls so they will never notice that he attempts them regularly and often.

People have even argued with me that Cleverley doesn't play long passes when he actually tweaked his ankle injury last season at Goodison Park playing a long pass.

#ThatsjusthowtheyseeTom

Forevergiggs

Why are you asking what creative is then?

Silva, Mata, Hazard, Iniesta, Messi, Oezil. All regarded as creative players (pretty much). Does Cleverley fit that category? Has he ever looked like fitting that category?

No.
That original question was for you.

Why are you quoting my reply to Brightonian?

So again, what is a creative, Cina?

Cina

That original question was for you.

Why are you quoting my reply to Brightonian?

So again, what is a creative, Cina?
I answered your question. The simplest way to answer a question like that is by providing a list of players who are creative. Is Cleverley comparable to those? No.

Forevergiggs

I answered your question. The simplest way to answer a question like that is by providing a list of players who are creative. Is Cleverley comparable to those? No.
Is he playing in those roles? No.
Is anyone expecting him to be a creative player like those guys? No.

Why did you bring up the issue of his creativity then?

Cina

The more I watch Cleverly play, the more I think he is a somewhat limited player. Shame about his injury though.
Agreed. He is good at simple passing, but lacks the creativity to do anything spectacular with it.
I didn't bring it up, I responded to it.

He's not creative. Said so a year ago, and I still think that's the case now.
When I said it a year ago I got slaughtered on here for doing so, plenty of people had it in their minds that he was creative and could play the sort of role those players do, have we seen enough to suggest he could since then? Nope.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Cleverley's main downfall is that whilst he can be a very good distributer of the ball, he doesn't seem to be able to dominate a match in the way the very best midfielders can. He will never be able to dicate the pace of a game the same way for example that Scholes or Xavi have been able to. Having said that Cleverley is relatively young and can still improve.

This is the same weakness Carrick has IMO, and it sets apart the good midfielders from the great ones. Carrick will rarely take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate the park, but he is good at keeping possession and moving the ball around the field.
How many midfielders at Cleverley's age can dominate the middle? I'll tell you, very few indeed. How you can say he won't be able to do this or dictate the pace of a game (he in fact can) is beyond me.

Comsmit

I suppose Cleverley could or can be creative if he wants to be. He is creative and at his best when he plays without inhibitions, but that is not very often right now. He looks like he fears making mistakes, meaning he often chooses to play it too safe and simple. He doesn't look like he is playing his natural game, he lacks the assuredness of thought and his decision making is off beat.

Someone mentioned earlier that Ferguson might also be, in some strange way a hindrance to him. Maybe he is not allowing him to truly express his talent.....the same could even be said of Nani but there are many facets to discuss in his case. This United side is a side built to achieve results, it is functional at the expense of flair. This is why we see shit-on-a-stick football week-in week-out, true creativity is not being fostered by Ferguson and his coaches. All they truly care about, all things considered, is winning, getting the points and moving on...functional, methodical.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a fantastic player but can anyone honestly say he is as exciting and creative as he was in 2006-7? Ferguson turned him into a machine-like player who plunders goals for fun, but in 2007-8 he was not as exciting as the two seasons prior to that, and 2008-9 even less so. At Real he has just ramped up the goals to incredible levels but he has somehow lost a lot of the exuberence and sparkle in his play...the creativity has been dampened. Rooney has gone down a similar path. I'm not saying it is a common trend with Ferguson because Scholes, Beckham & Giggs have been creative geniuses but perhaps they have had more leeway....maybe Cleverley needs this I don't know.

If Cleverley was playing for Barcelona (lets just say for the sake of it, not whether he would even get in the team!) we would perhaps truly see how good he can be, that would encourage his natural game and in turn enhance his creativity. This is why I admire coaches like Wenger and Guardiola as they are not afraid to foster creativity in players, even though football is now a results business. Wenger in particular is finding this out to his cost and it is a shame. Arsenal on top form are at times breathtaking to watch.

This quote from Wenger is also very true I feel,

“This necessity [winning] can become a constraint that spoils everything. When you’re obliged to do something, you do it badly. When you enjoy something, you do it with more conviction but also with creativity.”

Off on a bit of a tangent there hope it's understandable.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I've no doubt Cleverley could be creative if he wanted to be but at the minute he's still finding his feet at the club, probably hasn't even started 15 games for us yet, so he's happy just to play it simple. As he gets a consistent run in the side, and he grows into the position i think we'll see him up the ante a bit. When he's playing in a midfield 2 i dont even think he needs to be particularly creative, simply retain possession, move us up the pitch as much as he can, get the ball in to the feet of Rooney/RVP and the wide men as quickly as he can and let them do the rest.

Ash_G

I dunno about that, he's had a fair number of games for England in attacking mid and failed to show much creativity there, he's got a very god touch, and recycles the ball well but I wouldn't say he has a real consistent cutting edge to his game, neither through passes or ability to carry the ball. It might come with time, he's clearly talented, but I wouldn't put creativity as one of his strengths right now.

It's probably fair to say that we haven't used him to his best but that's true of all our midfielders. Carrick would likely be better with another midfielder in his prime next to him instead of the inexperienced/inconsistent clev/ando, or the old giggs/scholes. That said I think there is also a case that the better players should be able to impose themselves, not to their best but still significantly without the perfect partner.

But the thing is I don't think it's particularly a problem if he isn't the most creative, it's something I've said for a while but most teams don't get a huge amount of creativity from their deeper midfielders but from amongst the main quartet of attacking players they have. Our issues have been that we're put pressure on ourselves by over using say Scholes who can only play in a certain way right now and which has connotations for the whole team but also because in our attacking players we don't have a great balance between versatility in attacking approach and movement, which also affects how the midfielders can get involved.

TheBest

SPNTBP
I've no doubt Cleverley could be creative if he wanted to be but at the minute he's still finding his feet at the club, probably hasn't even started 15 games for us yet, so he's happy just to play it simple. As he gets a consistent run in the side, and he grows into the position i think we'll see him up the ante a bit. When he's playing in a midfield 2 i dont even think he needs to be particularly creative, simply retain possession, move us up the pitch as much as he can, get the ball in to the feet of Rooney/RVP and the wide men as quickly as he can and let them do the rest.
Why? Honest query. I probably wasn't paying attention to him when he was younger. So would like to know the basis of that assumption. I think he is a good player but I will agree he seems limited. Plenty of time on his side though but he still has a lot to prove.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Why? Honest query. I probably wasn't paying attention to him when he was younger. So would like to know the basis of that assumption. I think he is a good player but I will agree he seems limited. Plenty of time on his side though but he still has a lot to prove.
Because he can pass a ball accurately and well weighted. I've also seen him execute creative passes, and setting up chances on goal. I cant remember if it was last pre season but he set up a goal with an absolutely perfect throughball, between 2 players perfectly weighted. Last year in a game i seen him hit 2 perfect long balls over the top leading to chances. I think he's capable, i just don't think for whatever reason, confidence maybe, that he tries them very often.

Edit: he might even be under instruction to keep play ticking over simply and sharply, and encouraged not to take unnecessary risks, leave that to the likes of Giggs or Rooney

Andrew~

I didn't bring it up, I responded to it.
Except I said he was somewhat limited, not that he's not creative. Cleverley is creative, but not creative enough. Sure, he keeps things ticking over and can play the final ball, but to my eyes, he doesn't help us control the tempo enough and doesn't provide enough of a threat going forward; be it with runs, goals or assists.

Anderson, before he got injured, showed what a difference those three things can make, couple with the mere ability to 'keep things ticking over' which Cleverley is lauded for.

Cina

Except I said he was somewhat limited, not that he's not creative. Cleverley is creative, but not creative enough. Sure, he keeps things ticking over and can play the final ball, but to my eyes, he doesn't help us control the tempo enough and doesn't provide enough of a threat going forward; be it with runs, goals or assists.

Anderson, before he got injured, showed what a difference those three things can make, couple with the mere ability to 'keep things ticking over' which Cleverley is lauded for.
Surely they go hand in hand though? Unless you're saying he's limited to being creative and a few other things?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Cleverley hasn't even made 20 league appearances for us and you lot are already giving a full evaluation of what he can and can't do? You're mental. You would've been calling Iniesta limited and lacking in creativity after 20-odd appearances as well because he didn't show anything like his full repertoire in the beginning. It's not easy breaking into a top team as a centre mid, you need to influence the play (unlike a young centre back) and play consistently well (unlike a young striker or winger) - it's why so few young centre mids actually begin their career there, particularly for a top club. Cleverley's done both well so far. Keep it simple, establish yourself in the team and then start to really express yourself - Cleverley's got his head screwed on and you can guarantee he's thinking this way.

MrMojo

Cleverley hasn't even made 20 league appearances for us and you lot are already giving a full evaluation of what he can and can't do? You're mental. You would've been calling Iniesta limited and lacking in creativity after 20-odd appearances as well because he didn't show anything like his full repertoire in the beginning. Keep it simple, establish yourself in the team and then start to really express yourself - Cleverley's got his head screwed on and you can guarantee he's thinking this way.
Was about to say exactly the same thing.

At least let the guy play one full season before we decide what he can or can't do.

Cina

Cleverley hasn't even made 20 league appearances for us and you lot are already giving a full evaluation of what he can and can't do? You're mental. You would've been calling Iniesta limited and lacking in creativity after 20-odd appearances as well because he didn't show anything like his full repertoire in the beginning. It's not easy breaking into a top team as a centre mid, you need to influence the play (unlike a young centre back) and play consistently well (unlike a young striker or winger) - it's why so few young centre mids actually begin their career there, particularly for a top club. Cleverley's done both well so far. Keep it simple, establish yourself in the team and then start to really express yourself - Cleverley's got his head screwed on and you can guarantee he's thinking this way.
He did play football for other clubs before us.

Andrew~

Surely they go hand in hand though? Unless you're saying he's limited to being creative and a few other things?
Well, one could rephrase it by saying his creativity appears limited? :confused:

I'm not sure what your point is to be honest. There's nothing wrong with discussing what we've seen so far. No one is writing him off because he's obviously a talented player, but there's no point to just having unbalanced gushing about him in this thread, because it doesn't fit with what he's shown so far.

And I honestly can't understand why people keep bringing up Barca players; comparing him or his career to Xavi or Iniesta isn't helping the discussion whatsoever. Can't we just discuss Cleverley's abilities or lack thereof on their own?

Brwned

He did play football for other clubs before us.
Out of position, yes.

I'm not sure what your point is to be honest. There's nothing wrong with discussing what we've seen so far. No one is writing him off because he's obviously a talented player, but there's no point to just having unbalanced gushing about him in this thread, because it doesn't fit with what he's shown so far.

And I honestly can't understand why people keep bringing up Barca players; comparing him or his career to Xavi or Iniesta isn't helping the discussion whatsoever. Can't we just discuss Cleverley's abilities or lack thereof on their own?
Unbalanced gushing? Do you think that's how the thread would look if people weren't jumping at the chance to call a kid - who's barely had a chance to get a run of games with us - 'limited'? Come on. My point is that judging any young/inexperienced player on such little game-time is pretty silly, particularly one who's shown how capable he is of learning and adapting/adding to his game. People have already decided there's things he can't do when he's barely even had a chance to show that side of his game never mind develop it.

Why do people get so jumpy at the slightest mention of a great player when it's clearly not a direct comparison between the two? Strange. The Iniesta point has nothing to do with Cleverley and everything to do with judging young centre mids so early on - I've made the point before about Anderson despite him being a fundamentally different player. It has nothing to do with any similarities in Cleverley's game. Sometimes it's needed for a bit of perspective because some people expect the world of these kids so early on, yet there's countless examples of great players developing slowly in midfield. Forget the Barca duo and look at Pirlo, Zidane, Ballack...Ballack was clearly one of the best midfielders of his generation yet by the time he was Cleverley's age he hadn't even broke into the Germany team. Very, very few players excel in midfield at Cleverley's age and even fewer show their full array of talents.

Platato

Psst!
Then why bring it up? We're talking about him centrally are we not? A notably difficult position to establish yourself as an up and coming midfielder. The lad needs time. You and a few others have already made their mind up. Citing last season is silly as he barely played.

For United, he hasn't had much game time(compared to others) so we're basing our opinions on very little. How good will he be? Time will tell but let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is all he will ever offer based on what we've seen thus far.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yea must admit I thought Xavi was a pretty useless player in the early 00's. But then again I was like 12 years old :D
He wasn't the starter in midfield until 2007/2008, when Deco slacked off. Even in that season, we eliminated them in the semis and they got dicked on by Real. He's amazing now but let's not pretend like he was world class since 1999.

Brwned

He wasn't the starter in midfield until 2007/2008, when Deco slacked off. Even in that season, we eliminated them in the semis and they got dicked on by Real. He's amazing now but let's not pretend like he was world class since 1999.
Xavi started 30+ games in La Liga and the Champions League since 01/02 in all but one season - the one he was on the bench for the final because of injury that people always mistake for him not being first choice.

Cina

Then why bring it up? We're talking about him centrally are we not? A notably difficult position to establish yourself as an up and coming midfielder. The lad needs time. You and a few others have already made their mind up. Citing last season is silly as he barely played.

For United, he hasn't had much game time(compared to others) so we're basing our opinions on very little. How good will he be? Time will tell but let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is all he will ever offer based on what we've seen thus far.
I didn't say that was the case, at all. I said I don't think he's a creative player, that's not an overall opinion of him, he's obviously got a lot in his locker and will improve. I had nothing to do with the "limited footballer" comments. So please, don't throw bollocks around.

Just to clarify, we can't assess a player unless they're playing in their natural position?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I really like Cleverley and I'm convinced he'll make it at United but I do think we're going to need to bring in some midfield players to help him along.

He's not ready now to be our main man and neither is Anderson. Scholes and Giggs will surely go in the Summer and Fletcher is a shadow of the player he was.

It's definitely an area of concern.

Platato

Psst!
I didn't say that was the case, at all. I said I don't think he's a creative player, that's not an overall opinion of him, he's obviously got a lot in his locker and will improve. I had nothing to do with the "limited footballer" comments. So please, don't throw bollocks around.

Just to clarify, we can't assess a player unless they're playing in their natural position?
Saying you don't think he's a creative player and saying he is not creative aren't the same thing mate. (sounds pedantic I know)

"Cleverley is a good passer, especially at short range and one-twos, he's quick and certainly makes the team move quicker too, but creative he is not."

This is what you said earlier.

More accurately, he is not that creative yet (have we seen enough to know for sure?). Doesn't mean he is not creative. This is why I find it strange why you are so definitive with your thoughts.

Just to clarify, I'm primarily targeting the notion of judging a player so soon hence the "time will tell" bit. For some reason, you've come to the conclusion he is not a creative player. In order to improve one's creativity, you must have some semblance of creativity. Unless creativity can be....created.

Ash_G

LiKe I said I don't think he's particularly creative at the moment but nor do I think that's really a problem, but on the creative front I don't really see cleverley trying difficult passes etc, its not a case of stuff not coming off for him as with say ando but more that he seems to play quite safe. He's played in a variety of roles recently for us and for England and whilst at times he's put in some nice balls I wouldn't say it's something he does often nor looks to do. Particularly when he's played a/m it's been quite clear that whilst his movement is great he wasn't really creating lots and he always seemed to want to keep the ball moving rather go for a killer pass.

Again not really an issue, nothing wrong with someone who can keep the momentum going, and I really do think his touch is excellent, but I'm not sure if he'll really become a strongly creative player. Early days and maybe that will change but I don't see him becoming that sort of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.