Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platato

Psst!
LiKe I said I don't think he's particularly creative at the moment but nor do I think that's really a problem, but on the creative front I don't really see cleverley trying difficult passes etc, its not a case of stuff not coming off for him as with say ando but more that he seems to play quite safe. He's played in a variety of roles recently for us and for England and whilst at times he's put in some nice balls I wouldn't say it's something he does often nor looks to do. Particularly when he's played a/m it's been quite clear that whilst his movement is great he wasn't really creating lots and he always seemed to want to keep the ball moving rather go for a killer pass.

Again not really an issue, nothing wrong with someone who can keep the momentum going, and I really do think his touch is excellent, but I'm not sure if he'll really become a strongly creative player. Early days and maybe that will change but I don't see him becoming that sort of player.
Think he's trying to establish himself in the United and England setup. Both of which he has yet to do. Expectations are quite high on him and it's tough for any young CM to fulfill those expectations consistently. Perform at a top level in a position you're quite inexperienced in.

Playing as an AM is more about your ability to play create chances and score goals than the amount of experience you've gained. At the same time, the more experienced you are, the better your decision making.

The highly creative players we see nowadays have set quite a standard. They keep the play ticking and also attempt difficult passes. Basically, their role is becoming more important in modern systems.

I think we've seen enough to know he's capable but it's a question of how he chooses to apply himself as he gains more experience. He certainly doesn't have enough of it now and if he feels more comfortable playing it safe and keeping it simple, fair dues to the lad. This is what I've noticed on a few occasions. He sees the opportunity to attempt a more difficult pass yet chooses to play it to a teammate in space. On some occasions, he was too hesitant to play the killer ball and had no other option but to play it safe.

As Brwned said, I also think he's going about his development in a sensible way. Once he gets a run of games, we will get a better idea of him as a player.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
His movement and energy is so evident. He's a smart player and reads space and moves space so well.

Ekeke

Never really seems to have the ball under control when he's dribbling it, but he's most importantly made sure to win a throw or find a teammate when all is said and done.

Cina

His passing is so quick and refreshing in contrast to what we've been used to lately. Playing very well so far.

Brightonian

Couldn't watch this today (and I can't say I really minded before the match, I was pissing myself). Sounds like Cleverley had a good one. How did he do with regards to the whole creativity thing that gets thrown at him a lot?

acnumber9

Still doesn't get on the ball enough for me but when he did he was superb.

Cina

Couldn't watch this today (and I can't say I really minded before the match, I was pissing myself). Sounds like Cleverley had a good one. How did he do with regards to the whole creativity thing that gets thrown at him a lot?
Nothing.

Was very good though, passed well, moved quickly, got stuck in.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pathetic from Yaya Toure to act injured when he took him out.Tom reacted like a man and got on with the game, Yaya was a giant pussy.Disgusting man

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008
I remember an incident during the game where Cleverley was screaming for the ball in the middle while Valencia was dribbling down the line, and the latter ended up with a missed cross, looked at Cleverley and went "Can't help it I'm Valencia"

Godfather

Great workrate. Average performance overall. Sloppy on the ball and lost his man on several occassions.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
as he picks up more skills with experience, he could develop into a top player.

did well today.

Sam

He makes us a better team. He might not be the greatest player ever, but his movement, awareness and footballing brain, alongside his ability just make us a far more fluid team.

Godfather

I hope he stays fit. His workrate and energy really is important. Still don't think he was very good today as some claim. Faded in the second half.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've said it before but the single thing he does that is so important to our play in the middle is that he makes himself available immediately after releasing the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was fantastic today, didn't think he had any chance of making the game, and he couldn't have been full strength, but he was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.