Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

First time embedding a video (hoping it works)

Tom Cleverley vs Sunderland

Ole'sbodyguard

He already has 3 goals from central midfield which is a decent tally for someone who has not been playing week in week out and who plays in a two man midfield. He's the most likely from the midfielders to get between 6-8 goals IMO. Don't think he will ever be a 10+ goals midfielder playing in a two man midfield.

Cold_Boy

Thing is he needs regular football.

Hope he gets it from now cause his has amazing potential in midfield.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Huge fan of his, and in the last 2/3 matches he's played he has really impressed me.
He suits Carrick really well as I noticed Carrick was allowed to be a little more mobile ( the Sunderland midfield tended to hold a little deeper), but still I feel that the pairing will work well. Cleverley's passing yesterday was brilliant, and he was at the center of a lot of the attacking play, yet also came deep and played a defensive game quite well.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Huge fan of his, and in the last 2/3 matches he's played he has really impressed me.
He suits Carrick really well as I noticed Carrick was allowed to be a little more mobile ( the Sunderland midfield tended to hold a little deeper), but still I feel that the pairing will work well. Cleverley's passing yesterday was brilliant, and he was at the center of a lot of the attacking play, yet also came deep and played a defensive game quite well.
Already in the FF I see. I'm impressed with you. I'm still having trouble with the entertainment and general being separate.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Already in the FF I see. I'm impressed with you. I'm still having trouble with the entertainment and general being separate.
Thanks...

Lately I've been mad into the midfield, so coming into threads about midfield partnerships and Cleverley/Carrick etc really takes my fancy.

This weekend, Clevz really impressed me, the way he controlled the midfield at times with his movement and passing was nothing short of immense.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Thanks...

Lately I've been mad into the midfield, so coming into threads about midfield partnerships and Cleverley/Carrick etc really takes my fancy.

This weekend, Clevz really impressed me, the way he controlled the midfield at times with his movement and passing was nothing short of immense.
Have to agree. He was fantastic and those two first time passes were ridiculously good. I'd still like to see him play with an on form Ando again. Their movement is great.

Platato

Psst!
This is what can happen when you make up your mind on players too quickly. If we give him a run of games, I'm sure he'll show what more he's got in his locker.

Platato

Psst!
That passing move at 0:36 was ever so slick. Typified our quick play and it really drove us forward from that point on.

NM

thanks...

Lately i've been mad into the midfield, so coming into threads about midfield partnerships and cleverley/carrick etc really takes my fancy.

This weekend, clevz really impressed me, the way he controlled the midfield at times with his movement and passing was nothing short of immense.
no!

NM

Sorry, usually I'm fine with grammar, once in a while I get lazy and reduce it to a mess like that.
I'll try to do it less.
No problem. The use of Clevz and Welbz does get a few people (me included) annoyed.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Been very good last few games and that first time pass out to Young just oozes Paul Scholes. I'd like to see him try and put his laces through the ball a bit more when shooting though. So far he only seems to have one way of shooting which are the R1 circles into the corner. It'd be good if he had more in his repertoire.

Brightonian

Been very good last few games and that first time pass out to Young just oozes Paul Scholes. I'd like to see him try and put his laces through the ball a bit more when shooting though. So far he only seems to have one way of shooting which are the R1 circles into the corner. It'd be good if he had more in his repertoire.
Only if you didn't watch his loan spells at all. He's got plenty, and if he is indeed finally going to get his run in the team, the confidence will bring out his range of shooting. He certainly puts his foot through this one:

Swaters16

Only if you didn't watch his loan spells at all. He's got plenty, and if he is indeed finally going to get his run in the team, the confidence will bring out his range of shooting. He certainly puts his foot through this one:

He's also got a pretty cracking volley on him. Scholesesque way of appearing on the edge of the box and striking the ball. He has clearly paid attention to the man himself.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Thought he played really well on the weekend. Him and Carrick are definitely building a good understanding now and it showed with the goal that cleverley finished off. Both of them were dong very well to control the game and it wasn't until both came off leaving us with Giggs and scholes in the center that I felt that sunderland started to get any momentum. Hopefully the Cleverley/Carrick is used in the majority of our matches over the Christmas period. It just gives me more confidence than our other fit options right now.

shaggy

That's pretty much the same technique.

Brightonian

That's pretty much the same technique.
Well if he can do both that and the goal he scored on Saturday with the same technique, I'd say it's just fine for a goalscoring midfielder. But my point still stands anyway - did you even watch him on his loan spells?

shaggy

Well if he can do both that and the goal he scored on Saturday with the same technique, I'd say it's just fine for a goalscoring midfielder. But my point still stands anyway - did you even watch him on his loan spells?
Not apart from highlights on Motd. Watching Wigan or Watford for 90 minutes doesn't really appeal to me. There have been a few occasions where he's ballooned a shot over the bar where I've felt he'd have been better off putting his laces through the ball Scholes style rather than trying to place it. The goal he scored was a perfect example of when to attempt that finish whereas a few minutes later when he skied one he'd have been better off attempting to drill the ball.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not apart from highlights on Motd. Watching Wigan or Watford for 90 minutes doesn't really appeal to me. There have been a few occasions where he's ballooned a shot over the bar where I've felt he'd have been better off putting his laces through the ball Scholes style rather than trying to place it. The goal he scored was a perfect example of when to attempt that finish whereas a few minutes later when he skied one he'd have been better off attempting to drill the ball.
I agree with this. No harm in hitting hard curling shots but it never hurts to mix it up. When Clev whacked one back in against Fulham it ended up rebounding off the keeper straight to Kagawa. I think if he did it more often he might get more goals or other players might be able to pick up the pieces and bag some for themselves. I like that Cleverley plays a very deliberate game, attempting to be precise in everything he does, but every so often it wouldn't hurt just to put his foot through it.

Platato

Psst!
I agree with this. No harm in hitting hard curling shots but it never hurts to mix it up. When Clev whacked one back in against Fulham it ended up rebounding off the keeper straight to Kagawa. I think if he did it more often he might get more goals or other players might be able to pick up the pieces and bag some for themselves. I like that Cleverley plays a very deliberate game, attempting to be precise in everything he does, but every so often it wouldn't hurt just to put his foot through it.
English boy with a Spanish mind.

He'll mix it up soon enough.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There have been a few occasions where he's ballooned a shot over the bar where I've felt he'd have been better off putting his laces through the ball Scholes style rather than trying to place it. The goal he scored was a perfect example of when to attempt that finish whereas a few minutes later when he skied one he'd have been better off attempting to drill the ball.
Aye, he's tried that same finish from that central position just outside the box when it wouldn't hurt to smash it in. I do wonder whether he's got that kind of strike in him but the way he pinged that ball out to Young yesterday was Scholes-esque, hopefully Scholesy can give him some shooting tips! Cleverley's got a lot of traits that remind me of Beckham - the finish yesterday is not too dissimilar to Beckham's 3rd goal for United and the goal above for Wigan is classic Beckham. That attitude to self-improvement is what made Beckham the great United player that he was and it'll do the same for Cleverley. He'll work on his finishing and there's goals in him, once he gets a couple more goals he'll have that confidence in front of goal and conviction that he lacks at the moment but he's getting into good positions.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
This is what can happen when you make up your mind on players too quickly. If we give him a run of games, I'm sure he'll show what more he's got in his locker.
One poor game and half this place a will make their minds up about him too quickly all over again.

pablotatt

I have no intention of taking anything away from him, but what the bloody hell is the Sunderland right back doing on the goal? If my right back had done that yesterday morning, I would have given him a earful.

Platato

Psst!
I wouldn't be surprised Elliott. Although the criticism in the young thread was valid, some posters did go overboard. It happens every season. At least one player who either doesn't start the season well or just simply goes off the boil. Concerns are raised and sometimes, vile comments are made. Then when that one player begins to turn the corner, you might find the gimp say, "I still don't think he's very good." Some of the matchgoers are fun. Paul Scholes at CB. Wayne Rooney as keeper (funniest one I've ever heard). I do wonder if people simply just take the piss.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I keep changing my mind regarding how good Tom Cleverley will turn out. It's not as easy to forecast with a player like him. On the one hand, his ability is not at the level of a Fabregas or a Scholes (no disrespect), but his mentality just seems to be absolutely top drawer. I can't remember the last time there was a player to come from our academy that wanted to be make it to the very top as much as Cleverley seems to. A player with that sort of mentality could really emerge as top class, with those mental strengths leaking into other aspects of his game and driving huge technical improvements. On the other hand, he may well end up falling short of that top level. It's difficult to predict.

I think this is what strikes me as different about Cleverley and Welbeck. Welbeck, going by what he has shown in our reserves/academy and for our first team (as well as his short spell for Sunderland), is the potentially world class talent based on his skill set in my opinion. He is a much better dribbler than he has shown for the most part, has wonderful technique and is a quality, potentially superb athlete. Despite that, I don't think he has the "I want to be fecking amazing" mentality that Cleverley has (yet). Not saying he's some sort of Balotelli or Adriano type figure; rather that I think there is more inhibition than desire with him at times.

It's sort of like they're two different sides of the same coin (depending on whether you think the difference in talent between the two is there).

Welbeck = Top class talent but not quite top class mentality.
Cleverley = Top class mentality but not quite top class talent.

Cina

It was pretty obvious him and Carrick would be our best midfield two, I'm glad SAF is of that opinion now too.

shaggy

Aye, he's tried that same finish from that central position just outside the box when it wouldn't hurt to smash it in. I do wonder whether he's got that kind of strike in him but the way he pinged that ball out to Young yesterday was Scholes-esque, hopefully Scholesy can give him some shooting tips! Cleverley's got a lot of traits that remind me of Beckham - the finish yesterday is not too dissimilar to Beckham's 3rd goal for United and the goal above for Wigan is classic Beckham. That attitude to self-improvement is what made Beckham the great United player that he was and it'll do the same for Cleverley. He'll work on his finishing and there's goals in him, once he gets a couple more goals he'll have that confidence in front of goal and conviction that he lacks at the moment but he's getting into good positions.
Yeah definitely similar to Beckham, you can tell he absolutely adores this club because the way he plays echoes that of legends such as Scholes and Becks. No better way of learning or replicating than from those two.

Brightonian

One poor game and half this place a will make their minds up about him too quickly all over again.
Cleverley seems to suffer from this especially badly:

Post-match after a good game, especially when he's not been given much playing time recently: 'Yeah, he was ok, but he's not done much this season and remember that mistake he made two years ago.'

Post-match after a bad game, regardless of how many good ones he's had before: 'Was shit, he's massively overrated, he's done nothing this season, remember that mistake he made two years ago.'

It's incredibly unfair. Fans of other clubs tend to get behind their promising players, not look for any opportunity to run them down. I've noticed that the 'he's not creative enough' crowd are nowhere to be seen after the rain of through-balls and snap passes in behind the defensive line which he produced to go with his goal on Saturday.

Liam147

On Probation
You're having a laugh. I've never seen him rated as highly anywhere than on here. He was our best player last season while he was injured.

Because he plays the 'easy' pass, and misses a few chances for England he's shit. What neutrals aren't seeing is the difference in the team. Carrick and Scholes will saunter about with the ball, not going anywhere, but when it's Cleverley in there he'll go forward, and quickly. Just look at the gifs from Saturday. The first time pass to Young in the first half, the one in the second half which he half volleyed over the top, plus his goal, which was all his own making, playing two one-twos in 10 seconds to score. They don't realise he brings the ball forward for us, where other players fail to.

He did have a poor game against Chelsea. He gave the ball away a lot, uncharacteristically. He was then dropped for a while. He played similarly against West Ham, I recall him giving the ball away quite a bit then, but I'd still rather him in the team than anyone else.

He and Carrick are our best midfield pairing. This, to me, is obvious.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I don't know if it is that.

I think it is more a case of the wider coverage on younger players (youtube and the like, streaming and televised coverage) and people think that throwing money at problems is the first and tried tested way of fixing a problem in a squad.

Every new/young player for me I look at as a 70%. Even if they are amazing they are still playing at 70% until they peak. If they peak early then it's obvious and you acknowledge but it is like a lot of the posters on this board think that 22 is your peak and if you aren't good enough by then it's curtains on your career. Also a lot of people don't seem to see past the black and white of a player and what he produces at the end of a result (of a game) and see what a player brings to the table. Passing, movement, energy, passion, finishing etc.

Boggles my mind sometimes. He was outstanding though in this Sunderland game. I saw Carrick as well having the confidence to play with him rather than just stay static and play out of the playbook which helps Cleverley a lot. A couple of times MC played a one two with him and moved into space and then a one two to keep play moving and that is something that Carrick tends to bog other players down with when he is not nearing the peak of his ability.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
For me when it comes to Cleverley I simply go on the fact that Eric Harrison, who knows a bit about this sort of stuff, said that Tom's the best young player to come through the academy since Scholes and if he doesn't make it he'll jump in the Manchester ship canal. If, after all he's seen, Eric is that adamant that Cleverley is that good that's evidence enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.