Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

He had one year left on his contract and wanted to play for us. Dortmund had a reasonable deal.
They really didnt. We paid another £6+ million for Ashley Young in the same contract situation than we paid for Kagawa. It was such a coup

Krits

I don't really know whats happened in the last few pages.

Just came in here to wish Tom good luck. I hope he can make something of himself. Maybe a bit of bollocking from Keano might push him. Always want our academy players to do well. What could have been.

On a side note. It is worrying how little our academy players seem to progress. Pogba is the only player that I feel that came out of there that has 'made it'. I think a united B side is what is needed to get them ready for the PL. With the amount of pressure on united to win matches it is difficult to throw these young players in and give them the freedom to express themselves and learn on the job. Am I right in thinking (I don't get to watch a lot of youth football) that year on year united's youth seem to be the brightest in the country and yet very few achieve first team quality by the time they hit the ages of 20-21?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I thought Sharpey started out as a fullback and converted.I miss him too. We could do with someone like him today.
Not for us anyways. Olsen was there for awhile before Milne came in :rolleyes: ...Then came Danny Wallace....Then of course came Giggs.

Still stand by what I always said, if Sharpey had fulfilled anywhere near his potential, Beckham would not have got a look in. Says a lot about Sharpe that he was that good anyways

daniel9988

Just came in here to wish Tom good luck. I hope he can make something of himself. Maybe a bit of bollocking from Keano might push him. Always want our academy players to do well. What could have been.

On a side note. It is worrying how little our academy players seem to progress. Pogba is the only player that I feel that came out of there that has 'made it'. I think a united B side is what is needed to get them ready for the PL. With the amount of pressure on united to win matches it is difficult to throw these young players in and give them the freedom to express themselves and learn on the job. Am I right in thinking (I don't get to watch a lot of youth football) that year on year united's youth seem to be the brightest in the country and yet very few achieve first team quality by the time they hit the ages of 20-21?
Football fans in general tend to overrate youth team players.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If Cleverley can't get over a tackle from 3 years ago, then it says more about him then Davis
You can look at how Ramsey bas come back from his horrible injury, it's a matter of attitude.

Loublaze

ATLien
Big wages in relation to what? Is this the same argument as 'Felaini on big wages'?
Yes. They are both paid millions a year to play football. They can both do it away from OT because they are not good enough for United. Cleverley is a shit player and so is Fellaini. Good luck to both of them.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good to see it looks like we are going to sell him this window. 8 million is fairly decent money as well considering everything. Hopefully he goes and does well there, as I do feel while he likely was never up to United's quality, that the slow pace of the midfield never helped him either. No real excuse for me largely regressing as a player over the last few years though.

Red Phoenix Rising

Yes. They are both paid millions a year to play football. They can both do it away from OT because they are not good enough for United. Cleverley is a shit player and so is Fellaini. Good luck to both of them.
Cute. Having a look around the papers it looks as though he earns 60k.. Which in the wage structure at United isn't really 'big wages' especially when Rooney earns 300k reportedly and the 'experienced' crop that just left us were all on reportedly over 100k pw. It seems 'big wages' is just being thrown about for any old salary when it fits the narrative.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
So what's the latest on his proposed move? Is he going to reject the transfer and stay? I just get the niggling feeling that he might just do that.

Hope we include good clauses in his transfer deal if he leaves, still think there is a decent-good player in there somewhere. Still not United level though.

Loublaze

ATLien
Cute. Having a look around the papers it looks as though he earns 60k.. Which in the wage structure at United isn't really 'big wages' especially when Rooney earns 300k reportedly and the crop that just left us were all on reportedly over 100k pw. It seems 'big wages' is just being thrown about for any old salary when it fits the narrative.
When compared to the average man on the streets Cleverley is one of the luckiest people alive to be in that pay bracket. 40, 50, 60 or whatever the hell he's earning is more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. I simply said he'll be fine regardless of where he ends up as long as he still has a career. You defend the guy from any sort of perceived criticism, it beggars belief.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Definitely an unintended byproduct of the sugar daddy ownership era (from Abramovich onwards). Our priorities have clearly changed in terms of needing very good players immediately rather than being able to gradually develop youth players into the first team at a time when the likes of Chelsea, City, PSG, Barca, Madrid, and others are literally buying their success through the purchase of outside players, usually at the expense of any youth development. This is the new reality that we are dealing with, and sadly it will probably mean less youth breaking through to the first team.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even if you analyze how little our young players have progressed, its certainly not due to lack of opportunities. Cleverley had all the time in the world to establish himself as the first choice midfielder, Smalling, Rafael & Evans have got as much time to make a case for themselves in defense. The only players who can afford to complain about lack of opportunities are strikers like Rossi, Campbell, Macheda and now Welbeck but making it as a young striker at United has always been the toughest position.

Krits

Definitely an unintended byproduct of the sugar daddy ownership era (from Abramovich onwards). Our priorities have clearly changed in terms of needing very good players immediately rather than being able to gradually develop youth players into the first team at a time when the likes of Chelsea, City, PSG, Barca, Madrid, and others are literally buying their success through the purchase of outside players, usually at the expense of any youth development. This is the new reality that we are dealing with, and sadly it will probably mean less youth breaking through to the first team.
Yes, but then it seems like cleverly had all the tools to make it (maybe not all). But he fails at the mental aspect. A stint in a B team where the game is physical but the expectations lower might have prepared him better. I had really high hopes for him, but over the last year and a bit I had honestly given up on him. Mentally he isn't there.

Lets hope the next batch of young midfielders coming through our ranks can make the step up. It isn't like other young players aren't able to do it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yep, Clev has been very lucky in that we haven't really reinforced the midfield in years, which if you also factor in Fletch's illness, has given him a ridiculous amount of playing time that he would never have been afforded had Fergie opted to buy 2-3 years ago.

Red Phoenix Rising

When compared to the average man on the streets Cleverley is one of the luckiest people alive to be in that pay bracket. 40, 50, 60 or whatever the hell he's earning is more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. I simply said he'll be fine regardless of where he ends up as long as he still has a career. You defend the guy from any sort of perceived criticism, it beggars belief.
Legitimate criticism, sure but this is silliness. He's not even anywhere near the 'top earners' or 'big wage' players at United. I mean his next contract would probably even be sub 100k which still wouldn't dent the wage bill. This is just making up silliness to fit the stream of non sensical hate.

You've gotten angry about his earnings and then you've categorized them but you don't even know what they are categorized as?.. Seems pretty daft.

Loublaze

ATLien
Legitimate criticism, sure but this is silliness. He's not even anywhere near the 'top earners' or 'big wage' players at United. I mean his next contract would probably even be sub 100k which still wouldn't dent the wage bill. This is just making up silliness to fit the stream of non sensical hate.

You've gotten angry about his earnings and then you've categorized them but you don't even know what they are categorized as?.. Seems pretty daft.
Gotten angry about his earnings? Jesus man you're obsessed! What part of that post even remotely suggests anger? I said he's a boy big earning big boy wages (nothing to do with how his wages compare to his fellow teammates) and that he'll find his feet wherever he lands, good luck to him! You're clutching at straws in this particular instance. Anything said here that doesn't favor Cleverley is percieved as hate in your eyes. Quote my original post about his wages and show me where you see the 'anger' and 'hate'. I don't hate the boy, but I hate him playing at United because like i've said, he's shit. Im unapologetic about that.

Red Comet

I'm kind of sad in a way - I really had high hopes for him since his spell at Watford which promises big things ahead for him. His breakthrough for us v.s Man City and the matches till the tackle by Davis got quite a lot of us excited.

Excepted that he regressed and kept regressing. I hope he can resurrect his career at other clubs with less pressure.

On the positive note, it might just mean that we will go from "TC23" to "Vidal23" :devil:

Red Phoenix Rising

Gotten angry about his earnings? Jesus man you're obsessed! What part of that post even remotely suggests anger? I said he's a boy big earning big boy wages (nothing to do with how his wages compare to his fellow teammates) and that he'll find his feet wherever he lands, good luck to him! You're clutching at straws in this particular instance. Anything said here that doesn't favor Cleverley is percieved as hate in your eyes. Quote my original post about his wages and show me where you see the 'anger' and 'hate'. I don't hate the boy, but I hate him playing at United because like i've said, he's shit. Im unapologetic about that.
Well you've just admitted you're upset about him playing at United and your 'big boy wages' comment was implying that he was effecting the wage bill in away that directly implicated his 'being shit'. I don't really go around telling everyone something or someone is shit when I am happy about a situation.

He just seems like such an inconsequential player to get this upset about. Desperate to tell everyone how shit he is and about how he's stealing a living playing for United etc..

AkaAkuma

Hold on, I thought tribunals were only for players who were 24 or younger? If Cleverley leaves for free next season, I think we will get nothing from it.
Right, probably wrong. I thought It was for any players trained by the club under 24 years.

Bojan11

Seriously are people still blaming the Davies tackle?

Poor excuse, if true. I've seen players get worse tackles and come back better than that. People need to accept him and Anderson weren't what they were hyped up to be back in 2011.

Donut

If it wasn't for the Davis & Pogatez tackles our midfield would have been sorted with 2 world class players.

Come on guys, he's really not good enough, and it will be even more obvious in a lesser side.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If it wasn't for the Davis & Pogatez tackles our midfield would have been sorted with 2 world class players.

Come on guys, he's really not good enough, and it will be even more obvious in a lesser side.
I don't think there will be a massive improvement on his performances. However, he is still a decent footballer and will be able to play more freely without the added pressure and expectation. I don't think he will be 'found out' or perform worse in a lesser side. He won't be a key player for Villa but he will be a good player for them.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well you've just admitted you're upset about him playing at United and your 'big boy wages' comment was implying that he was effecting the wage bill in away that directly implicated his 'being shit'. I don't really go around telling everyone something or someone is shit when I am happy about a situation.

He just seems like such an inconsequential player to get this upset about. Desperate to tell everyone how shit he is and about how he's stealing a living playing for United etc..
You don't get it at all. My wages statement had NOTHING to do with the wage bill. Nothing. Let me make it easy for you. I basically said I don't feel sorry for him because he's a grown man living on very good wages, and he'll land on his feet no matter what club he ends up at, as long as it's not United because he's not good enough here. Good luck to him! How do you deduce from that statement that im being angry, hateful, or implying that he's a burden on our wage bill? Surely you're smarter than this man. I don't want to have to explain this shit again :wenger:.

gasmanc

Banned

This is probably an adequate summary.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I always thought there was probably something more to the TC23 thing than was sensationalised. I refuse to believe he was that naive about his level and it's appropriateness.

Bojan11

Has it been confirmed that any bid has been accepted for him?

Last thing I want tomorrow is another Fletcher-Cleverley midfield. Rather put Rooney back there.

Spielmacher

This is overdue. Hopefully he can have a good career there, he couldn't stand the pressure of being a United midfielder and being told by thousands of fans week in week out how shite he is, which isn't easy to be fair. I guess he'll find his confidence back and be a good player for Villa, no way that's still possible with us.

That probably means we've at least one midfield signing lined up. Wouldn't mind if Pearson, Rothwell or Powell got a few chances though.

Djemba-Djemba

Has it been confirmed that any bid has been accepted for him?

Last thing I want tomorrow is another Fletcher-Cleverley midfield. Rather put Rooney back there.
I think Rooney is crap in midfield but he'd still be a better option there than Fletcher-Cleverly.

It's all gone a bit quiet on this, starting to worry it's not happening.

Castia

So what happened with the bid then, Was it all bollocks? I've not seen anybody reporting it yet. Sky don't even have it on their rumour section yet.

Spielmacher

So what happened with the bid then, Was it all bollocks? I've not seen anybody reporting it yet. Sky don't even have it on their rumour section yet.
Don't be so impatient. Telegraph reported yesterday evening that we accepted the 8M bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.