Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hasn't Darren Ferguson more or less confirmed that Welbeck and James are going to PNE for loan next season?

Drifter

American
Newcastle United boss Chris Hughton is hoping for a double signing from Manchester United.

Hughton is in talks with United over an extended loan agreement for winger Tom Cleverley.

And The Journal says the Toon boss also wants Cleverley's United teammate Danny Welbeck, the striker, for their Premiership return.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Newcastle United boss Chris Hughton is hoping for a double signing from Manchester United.

Hughton is in talks with United over an extended loan agreement for winger Tom Cleverley.

And The Journal says the Toon boss also wants Cleverley's United teammate Danny Welbeck, the striker, for their Premiership return.
Good move. I've more faith in Hughton than the last guy who took Rossi there on laon and pretty much ended his career in the Prem

SecondFig

Good move. I've more faith in Hughton than the last guy who took Rossi there on laon and pretty much ended his career in the Prem
Yeah Hughton's done a good solid job at Newcastle, and gave Simpsons plenty of playing time (leading to Danny's transfer there). Would also rather see Welbeck and Cleverly get PL playing time over Championship experience as the two leagues are pretty different.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hughton's done well in the Championship but I reckon both he and his players will really struggle with staying in the PL, seeing as the club is flat broke.

As Rubber-man said in another thread, you don't really want to send attacking/creative players to a team that's going to be fighting a rearguard action all season.

SecondFig

Hughton's done well in the Championship but I reckon both he and his players will really struggle with staying in the PL, seeing as the club is flat broke.

As Rubber-man said in another thread, you don't really want to send attacking/creative players to a team that's going to be fighting a rearguard action all season.
Maybe not, but there's no guarantee Preston will be doing that much better in the Championship, and the Championship is (bluntly) a lower quality of football. Ideally I'd like to see them playing regularly for a side like Bolton but that's just unlikely unfortunately.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe not, but there's no guarantee Preston will be doing that much better in the Championship, and the Championship is (bluntly) a lower quality of football. Ideally I'd like to see them playing regularly for a side like Bolton but that's just unlikely unfortunately.
Bolton would be good. Fulham even better.

There are a few teams that play good football and should be good enough to steer clear of the relegation dog-fight but yeah, the competition for places at those teams can mitigate against loan deals.

Inigo Montoya

For me it's teams like Birmingham, Fulham and Bolton we should look at if we want to loan attacking players out premier league teams. While defenders and holding midfielder players can be sent to the relegation fodder of the league. That is where they'd learn the most.

The problem with that these days is they are quicly discared in favour of experienced( or so called experienced) players when fighting against relegation. No manager is willing to take a risk and play a youngster to benefit another team if he's on loan, and they are struggling.

Credit to Hodgson at Fulham for playing Smalling even though he is inexperienced, similarly Blackburn for playing young Jones

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The problem with that these days is they are quicly discared in favour of experienced( or so called experienced) players when fighting against relegation. No manager is willing to take a risk and play a youngster to benefit another team if he's on loan, and they are struggling.
True. But usually defenders cope better in such situations than attacking players. For when fighting relegation a lot of defending is done. & if you are truly good at it you will be picked regardless of whether you have the experience or not.

Credit to Hodgson at Fulham for playing Smalling even though he is inexperienced, similarly Blackburn for playing young Jones
Birmingham too have relatively young center backs too IIRC.

Inigo Montoya

True. But usually defenders cope better in such situations than attacking players. For when fighting relegation a lot of defending is done. & if you are truly good at it you will be picked regardless of whether you have the experience or not.

Birmingham too have relatively young center backs too IIRC.
Manager in the Fergie mould

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Birmingham bought their two centre backs for reasonably large fees. Johnson isn't young, either.

I'd have reservations about Cleverly and Welbeck going to Newcastle because neither would jump straight into the first team, especially not Welbeck. Cleverly can play a number of roles which would increase his chances though. If it happens hopefully we have the option to recall them in January if they are warming the bench.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Jonas and Routledge are two of their best players in all honesty. I'm sure Cleverly would get games but not clear cut first choice. That said, Newcastle might be tempted to sell Jonas if they get a good offer.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Jonas and Routledge are two of their best players in all honesty. I'm sure Cleverly would get games but not clear cut first choice. That said, Newcastle might be tempted to sell Jonas if they get a good offer.
aren't they both wingers? With TC being an AM, who can play a bit on the wing too

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I thought he'd have had a really good chance of getting plenty of game time with us next season. I think his energy and enthusiasm would be useful coming off the bench, with opportunities to start games in the cup competitions, and against the smaller premier league sides.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I think He will very much remain with us next season however that could very easily change if we were to have some problems with our 25 man Squad.. I can see either him or Tosic either farmed out on loan or sold in the latters case.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah Cleverley is young enough not to have to be included in the 25 man squad. Same with Obertan

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
Yeah Cleverley is young enough not to have to be included in the 25 man squad. Same with Obertan
One significant difference between those two players is that Cleverley can also be named outside the 25 man A list for the Champions League whereas Obertan can't be. Smalling is in the same position as Obertan. I don't think that will have any influence on our decision over whether or not to send Cleverley out on loan though. We already have the likes of Amos, Fabio, Rafael, Welbeck and Macheda who can be named outside the 25 man squad for both competitions so it isn't like we really need any additional depth to the squad that someone like Cleverley could provide us with.

We currently have 28 first team squad players who would have to be named on the the 25 man A list if we wanted them available for Champions League games. Although it's not as if you can't keep a few players that don't make the CL squad like we had with Tosic and De Laet last season because they can be involved in domestic competitions.

redfromcanada

The problem with sending both Cleverley and Wellbeck to Newcastle is that you can only loan one player to each PL side, whereas in the Championship, you can loan out more.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we are keen not to add new players in midfield then we should keep Cleverley at OT rather then loan him around.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Do we even know if he'll be fit for pre-season at this stage?

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Do we even know if he'll be fit for pre-season at this stage?
I posted on a previous page that apparently Tom himself was claiming it would be 6 weeks on crutches and 3 months out altogether, which I think puts him returning around the end of July/start of August, so just in time for the start of the season and probably missing preseason. Of course that's third hand info on an injury diagnosis which may not even be accurate in the first place, but it's the only news I've heard on the subject.

PS18

I heard things were a bit more optimistic and there was a decent chance he'd be ready for the start of pre-season training.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
A player must not have turned 21 before Jan 1 2010 in order to be named outside the 25 man squad for the 2010/11 season.
So then I was right? Cause he clearly turns 21 on the 12th of August 2010

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
You said that the deadline for turning 21 is 01 Jan 2011 when it's actually 01 Jan 2010.

So as Cleverley hadn't turned 21 by 01 Jan 2010 that means he's eligible to be named outside the 25 man squad for next season.
Ahh yes I see.. Thanks.. And Welcome to the mains..

Ringo 07

Just to get away from all the doom and gloom!!! Do we have to fork out this summer for a playmaker when we have this kid coming through? His best position is through the middle even though he usually played on the wing for Watford. Here is what a Watford fan says about him.......

Watford fan rates Tom Cleverly

Football FanCast guest columnist Bill Penrice feels that United have a potential superstar in the making with Tom Cleverley.

Why Arsenal are always the team that are heralded for their bringing through of youth, or the nurturing of young players, it is United set-up for me that produces top quality year one year, and where the young gunners tend to move to oblivion when they leave the Emirates, the United kids tend to still carve a living at the top levels of the game.

As an outsider looking in I have always felt that a big reason for United's success over the years has been that the core of the team has always been made up of homegrown players. Scholes, Giggs, Neville, move on to the next era to O'Shea, Fletcher, Gibson and in the next coming you have the likes of the Da Silva twins, Welbeck and Tom Cleverley; the latter in particular is a potential superstar in the making and a player who's versatility will give Ferguson an embarrassment of riches.

I'm a Watford fan and we have benefited a lot from United over the years and Cleverley has arguably been the pick of the bunch. Once again today at the Riverside he struck the winner, his 5th goal of the season already, but his all round game was absolutely immense once again. They say there is a huge gap in class between the Premier League and the Championship, and whilst this is true, the difference between the players is just as vast and there has not been one team that has been able to handle the kid this season and he is absolutely a class apart.

There is no question that Cleverley is going right to the top and Ferguson has a real talent at his disposal that will help United maintain their dynasty in English football. There isn't a chance that Sir Alex will let him fall by the waste side, as not only does his versatility give United a variety of options, but for me he seems like one of the finest young talents to come out of United in years and there is no level to what he can achieve in the game. This isn't an overreaction to a few games in the Championship, hey he proved it for England U21s in the past week and United fans should be getting extremely excited about him, because as I said at the start of the piece that they have potential superstar on their hands here.

devilish

Foster looked like Schmeichel in his prime at Watford.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
It's a very interesting year for Tom. If he can force a way into the team and grab his chance, he coud well end up having a similar year to Pedro at Barca last year. There is also, bearing in mind the world cup performance, the potential to force his way into the England team if he can prove himself. Very exciting times :D!

devilish

It's a very interesting year for Tom. If he can force a way into the team and grab his chance, he coud well end up having a similar year to Pedro at Barca last year. There is also, bearing in mind the world cup performance, the potential to force his way into the England team if he can prove himself. Very exciting times :D!
I agree. Stating that let us not get carried away. Both Richardson and Foster did well with smaller English sides and yet both failed to make an impact at OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.